Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2020, 09:35   #1
BANNED

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020

Sony surprises everyone at CES 2020 with the announcement of an electric car Vision S.

Source: The Verge
wheelguy is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 13:00   #2
BHPian

Sony introduced an electric concept car called the Vision-S

Source : https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/6/21...ement-ces-2020

"Sony just made what might be one of the biggest surprise announcements at this year’s CES: a car. Called the Sony Vision-S, it’s an electric concept sedan that is meant to showcase the Japanese tech conglomerate’s many different strengths, from entertainment products to camera sensors and more."

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-sony_vision_s_0400.jpg

Looks to me like a filter-cut-paste job from Porsche and Fisker. Would be interesting to see them botch up their cars like they botched up their phones.
Everything is being driven by tech companies now, and I have mixed feelings about it!

Reminds me of Majnu Bhai's dialogue "Ghodo ke race mein ghade ab gadhe bhi daudenge!"
sharktale is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 16:12   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Sony introduced an electric concept car called the Vision-S

Sony was the first company in the world to commercialize lithium batteries. There batteries are right there on the number one spot in terms of practical performance and specs to match but sadly 2 years back they sold the energy division to murata japan.

But they still have the tech know how on batteries and also motors and electronics. But have zero capability on cars but hey that didn't stop Tesla from crushing the competition.

Sony may be on to something, since none of the other Japanese car makers are really interested in battery powered EV. Sony see's a opening and they have the name and history on their side.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th January 2020 at 09:08. Reason: Corrected 'there' to 'their'.
aim120 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 05:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

re: Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020

They are not looking to commercialize the car but use it to gain data to make better imaging sensors for self driving cars.
landcruiser123 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 08:17   #5
BHPian

re: Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020

Interesting development, Sony was once the most innovative company in the world. Of course some of their businesses weren’t successful but they rule the roost in others such as optics and sensors. IMO, they still make one of the best quality consumer electronics.

I’m curious to know, who would be their coach building partner.
Thermodynamics is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 09:45   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Would be interesting to see them botch up their cars like they botched up their phones. Everything is being driven by tech companies now, and I have mixed feelings about it!
What exactly did they botch up with phones? That they made a first flagship with water/dust resistance? First 1080p screen in a phone ever? First 4K screen in a phone, ever? First flagship with dual stereo speakers? Premium aluminium build? Software such as sound upscaling and optimization for audiophiles?

All this while Samsung made junk phones out of toothbrush plastic and Apple with screens so delicate it breaks in one fall? If people don't want to buy real quality phones that isnt Sony's problem. They both shamelessly copied Sony to the millimeter to become premium.

If ever there is one company who anyone can trust blindly on quality and reliability its Sony. The Samsungs and Lgs come 10 leagues below, the assorted Chinese stuff come maybe a billion leagues below.
dark.knight is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 10:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020

Wonder where are the Apple guys now? Weren't they "talking" about a similar product a few years back?
svsantosh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 10:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
What exactly did they botch up with phones? That they made a first flagship with water/dust resistance? First 1080p screen in a phone ever? First 4K screen in a phone, ever? First flagship with dual stereo speakers? Premium aluminium build? Software such as sound upscaling and optimization for audiophiles?
I think Sony fails to read customers in the mobile segment. Its very typical of a premium product-centric company. They assume that customers will buy what we make, at the price we make it. This has been true for a lot of products like TVs, but with a small lifecycle product like Mobile phones, this didnt work.

Their fate is like the Tata's in the auto sector. Lot of firsts, but poor timing for most of the advanced features. I also think that they are not agile enough for the market, maybe because of their size.
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 10:55   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I think Sony fails to read customers in the mobile segment. Its very typical of a premium product-centric company. They assume that customers will buy what we make, at the price we make it. This has been true for a lot of products like TVs, but with a small lifecycle product like Mobile phones, this didnt work.
Nope, their pricing was on average 20-25% less than Apple, on par with the Galaxy series. They offered much more hardware and software for the price than Samsung. I say its good that they emphasize quality and not go for Bollywood endorsement to sell to ill-informed Indians, quality has its price. Indians want song and dance endorsement, or kool-aid brands like Apple.

Tata? What did they innovate? I'm honestly asking, anything Tata tried, other brands either got there before them or made it much better than them.

If any car analogy has to be done with Sony, its straight up Mercedes Benz and nothing else. Both invented 90% of everything that exists today in their scope.
dark.knight is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 12:20   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Sony partners with supplier Benteler on prototype.

Quote:
German automotive supplier Benteler Automotive Group announced at the show it is collaborating with Sony on the prototype.

Sony's prototype is part of the company's "VISION-S" future of entertainment and technology initiative
Quote:
the vehicle has 33 sensors for interior and exterior object and human detection and imaging, on-board AI software, cloud technologies and more. The front seats face a panoramic media screen, Sony said.

Benteler announced it will be supplying key components for the prototype but did not specify which ones. Benteler is largely a chassis, exhaust and engine components supplier.
Quote:
According to Benteler, the electric drive system is ready for series production and combines functions such as integrated crash management, flexible and scalable battery storage, and integrated thermal management.
Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-10.jpg

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-11.jpg

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-12.jpg

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-13.jpg

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-14.jpg

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-15.jpg

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-16.jpg

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-17.jpg

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-19.jpg

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-20.jpg

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-21.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th January 2020 at 12:32.
volkman10 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 13:38   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
They are not looking to commercialize the car but use it to gain data to make better imaging sensors for self driving cars.
Sony has giant ambition and has been aggressively looking for new businesses (I read that it actually considered exiting the non-profitable TV business).

Plus, let's not overlook how electric cars have lowered the barrier to entry. We have completely new car makers coming up, headed by people with zero to minimal experience in manufacturing.

If Sony just wanted to make imaging sensors, it could do so off a petrol-powered Toyota. IMHO, Sony might be looking at becoming a big supplier to EV companies (technology, controllers, motors, maybe batteries) or even building a damn car!
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 14:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If Sony just wanted to make imaging sensors, it could do so off a petrol-powered Toyota. IMHO, Sony might be looking at becoming a big supplier to EV companies (technology, controllers, motors, maybe batteries) or even building a damn car!
I work for a world leader Auto OEM and your comment on companies like Sony aiming to be a EV supplier is absolutely true , including our own company whose exposure to software prior to this EV craze was zilch. Now, we have a big division , fully funded, less bureaucratic looking at Software , IVHM, EV's and the poor old Mechanical division getting the step motherly treatment.

Last edited by mazda4life : 8th January 2020 at 14:10.
mazda4life is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 14:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Let me add few more pictures coming straight from CES 2020!

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-7cec922dac26437f82121e47a9832e9e.jpg

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-0573ee8bb8a445f4bdaa7b636016f32d.jpg

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-be342f39581743d1983bac1c62c82f5b.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 8th January 2020 at 14:06.
clevermax is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 14:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
What exactly did they botch up with phones?
This comes from personal experience. Am still a Sony fanboy when it comes to consumer electronics. Still rock a 25-year-old Sony Hi-Fi system which has sometimes made my neighbour call up to complain.

However, they introduce new products but fail to maintain them. The phones had good features, maybe not Value for money, but good features nonetheless. However, their after-sales support was pathetic, (at least for me), their UI was crap and Android updates were significantly delayed if any.

Yes, it matters less to me now, but 5 years ago, fast updates was a critical factor when I suggested someone a phone. They made amazing hardware with their Sony Vaio series, but somehow couldn't stand out in the crowd and lost support day-by-day due to parts issue. My Vaio laptop lasted long, but when once it got damaged, I had a bitter experience tbh.
sharktale is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 14:52   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
However, they introduce new products but fail to maintain them. The phones had good features, maybe not Value for money, but good features nonetheless. However, their after-sales support was pathetic, (at least for me), their UI was crap and Android updates were significantly delayed if any.
I don't know if it was incredible luck or what but none of their products ever failed in the house. The Xperia has fallen 4-5 times without a cover or screen protector and has no blemishes to show for it.

The UI is typical Android, I find their UI and entertainment interface to be much more polished and formal than the cartoonish UI of most other brands. More importantly, theirs is the only phone to have beaten iPhones in terms of speed consistently. I dont care for upgrades at all, as long as the basic calls, messaging and video software works but yes mine is running the latest Android (not 10, but this is impressive for being a 2.5 year old model, battery life is still 1.5 days.

Anyway we're well off topic here, but all I can say is Sony always understands what they're getting into before doing it, lets wait for their real intentions of making a car and wait for test drives or reports on what future they see for their company. Their emphasis is always human centric unlike any company today focussing on bottomline only, for that they need to be given a chance.
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks