Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2021, 16:24   #31
BHPian

Re: Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV launched at Rs. 1.06 crore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Sir, You will dig your fingernails into your hair and pull it all out dealing with JLR ASS. This is no Toyota Lexus. Haha.
Its just grossly overpriced, it should not be a penny over 55-60 lacs.
Mum and dad have had their hearts set on a car from the JLR stable for a while now. With the I-Pace launching on my birthday mum had pretty much prepared a whole emotional angle to lump dad with to try and convince him but even she's baulked at that price. I was deeply disappointed. I was expecting a ceiling of 80L for the fully optioned model but 1Cr+ is ridiculous. Really disappointing pricing. 55-60L and I know that my parents would have seriously considered it.

I've also had concerns about JLR ASS and from a lot of the testimony on here it's certainly not confidence inspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not just the price.
1. Anyone buying an obscenely priced I-Pace / EQC / E-Tron today runs the risk of the product being outdated in just 2 to 3 years. Similar to the early smartphones. Battery & motor tech are fast progressing every year, especially for these brands which are new to EVs..
I couldn't agree more - it's a very valid point regarding these 1st gen EVs from OEMs. Especially at the prices we're talking about here in India it only makes sense for the well heeled enthusiast in the same way Samsung would on paper sell some ludicrous 100 inch TV for that one television nerd who had the money to indulge in their hobby and wanted the bragging rights. With these EVs it's essentially those green credentials. I'm hopeful though that in 5 short years we'll start to see much more polished EV products as carmakers get over their freshman efforts.
ads11 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 18:50   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Lets assume the car costs 30 lacs to manufacture, adding 120% plus adding 5% it still will not cost 1.05-1.20 cr.
If you’re talking about factory price (ie raw material and manufacturing) I doubt it’s only ₹30L or $40K.

The battery cost alone at pack level rate of $150/kWh would cost $14K (add cooling systems for rounding)

The cost of motors is also quite a lot. While I cannot get any concrete figures, even if we take a round figure of $7K for both motors and then the BMS etc, you can expect around $25K for powertrain alone.

Now of course these figures for motors are speculation based on some EV conversion sites which list Tesla motors as high as $10K.

So while yes, even the US retail pricing of the iPace at $69K is a stretch, a closer figure would be $50-55K

I’m guessing these brands are including battery prices twice in the price to not incur losses on the under warranty battery replacement.

Yes batteries are expensive, but iPace doesn’t have even that much luxury to warrant $45K for everything except powertrain (assuming the $25K in powertrain as calculated earlier)

That said, when you apply the 100%, not 120% import duty, mind you, and 5% GST, on the $69K retail price you get 1.06Cr pricing.
Shresth_EV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 01:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shresth_EV View Post
That said, when you apply the 100%, not 120% import duty, mind you, and 5% GST, on the $69K retail price you get 1.06Cr pricing.
Thank you for the detailed calculations. I understand that when a new technology is introduced the costs for first few products will be very high as you are creating a new thing however once you get your manufacturing sorted and you start having sales and people buying more and more products, the cost of this tech production decreases. Now if Jaquar can sell this for 60 lacs abroad without manufacturing there means that manufacturing cost is somewhere around 30-40 lacs because they would keep some healthy profit margins on per car sold. Taking 40 lacs as a base value and adding 100% and 5% GST 1.06 maybe the result but for India i think its time manufacturers stopped taking us for granted. If you want to make an effort then do a good job and price it at its appropriate price not at some thing ridiculous like 1.06 cr which is throwing money in the well if you are buying this. Just my thoughts.
Old 30th March 2021, 07:58   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
The I Pace EV is a good attempt but then it's not a match to Tesla. The Model S or Model X are way better and worth the premium. The I Pace just didn't feel like a $120K car.
Has much changed wrt the I Pace from 2019?

It didn't work for me at A$120K/Rs.70L and now when I see a starting price of 1C for India, I'm dumbfounded. Of course there are many reasons for it which are not even in Jaguar's control but how do people see value in this at the end of the day?
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 10:22   #35
BHPian

Wait! Haven't these EVs got the best warranty and ease of maintenance in the premium space? We all know how a typical Mercedes, BMW or Audi fare in terms of maintenance and reliability over say 5+ years. EQC and I-Pace will surpass these typical premium ICE cars in terms of reliability and maintenance with their long warranties on powertrain and batteries.

Performance: Similar to an AMG. No compromise - 400 PS, 0-100 under 4.9 seconds, top speed 200 km/h and AWD.

Range and distances: I-Pace and EQC got 90, 85 kWH batteries, which are quite huge compared to mass the market EVs.

How long have you travelled in a Merc / BMW in a single day or how many such long-distance trips have you made in a year?

Range tests has revealed incredible results from these performance cars, 250 - 400 km will be possible in the I-Pace in normal use.

Charging networks: India now has about 200 nos. of public DC fast chargers, and the network is growing at a fast rate. Even construction groups are including public DC fast chargers with their housing projects, as seen in Kerala. I believe these cars are priced in such a way that the owner will be benefitted with at least a 50 KW DC fast charger at his nearest dealership or community.

Mercedes have already sold out the planned first batch of the EQC in India.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st March 2021 at 07:22. Reason: Grammar
Old 31st March 2021, 10:55   #36
BHPian

I see a lot of members calling this car overpriced. I disagree to an extent, or to be more specific, I feel it is in line with the prices of other luxury cars with similar performance sold in India.

Let's take 2 basic critera to compare:
Size - ~4.6-4.7 metres in length
Performance - 0-100kmph in 4.8 seconds

This would make the direct competition for the iPace the Mercedes AMG GLC Coupe, or the BMW X3 M.

Both of those cars cost close to Rupees 1 crore, and have similar size and performance figures. In comparison, one does not pay that much more for an electric iPace with such monstrous torque and performance. And new technology will always have some premium.

I suppose one could call the iPace overpriced, but every luxury+performance German marque is overpriced in India. And that's an entirely different discussion unto itself.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 31st March 2021 at 10:57.
kadanaJ is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 12:35   #37
BHPian

I don't think I would be happy to shell out 1+ cr for the I-Pace or the EQC400. I was on the lookout for an all electric SUV in London but then have decided to hold off for now. For the price you have to pay the range on offer is dismal to say the least. Granted EVs have come a long way but for me buying an expensive vehicle like this might be a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'd rather wait a bit to see what improvements come along than be remorseful at a later point.

Both the EQC and the I-Pace start at £65k in the UK which equals Rs 65 Lakh approx. This is a bit more reasonable pricing point than in India though not ideal still. The interiors of both these machines are decidedly cheaper looking in certain aspects than their fossil fuel powered counterparts in my opinion. Performance need not (and should not) be compared to an ICE vehicle as an electric motor has way better torque. This is just my thought. During my TD time, these machines were head turners for sure, questions galore even in the supermarket parking lot.
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 16:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not just the price.

2. These SUVs are the first such attempt by their respective makers and they will inevitably have many niggles & problems. Even when it comes to regular petrol / diesel cars, Jaguar isn't exactly the last word in reliability, so we can only guess how the reliability of this brand-new technology will be.

I thought that after removing the ICE and the drivetrain, the reliability concerns should come down significantly. However, electronics is still a source of niggles for many cars and that becomes even more complex with electric cars. Maybe the on-air updates can take care of that.

Overall, shouldn't electric cars, in general, be more reliable than ICE counterparts so this shouldn't really be a concern, or am I thinking it wrong?
Old 31st March 2021, 21:36   #39
BHPian

Well let's be honest. JLR never really bothered to price and position their ICE cars well enough let alone pricing their EVs sensibly. I don't know what's the deal but when you visit they're dealerships they aren't as enthusiastic as the other Euro brands in selling the car to you. When you ask why their cars don't sell or get marketed like the competition, they cover it up by saying they are a lot more exclusive and aren't really worried about promotions or sales numbers. I was like Wow, that's a statement even RR or Bugatti wouldn't give!
Everyone's in the game for business and numbers got to make sense at the end of the day. With this sort of pricing and product placement, I really wonder what sort of a forecast they have for India. I mean they make some pretty cool cars and I really loved driving the XE and XF around and that Defender is nuts! But for an average buyer the value proposition needs to be evident and I fail to see that in the JLR lineup!
Old 1st April 2021, 21:04   #40
BHPian

JLR has launched this at a grossly overpriced value. While it is a good car on its own, it’s just simply not worth <1 Crore ! If they had priced it under 70 lakhs, at least it could garner sales from those looking to buy an X3/GLC. It would only sell in double digit numbers, that’s for sure.
Old 16th June 2021, 18:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar I Pace first drive review by Autocar India

Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV launched at Rs. 1.06 crore-20210616052831_i_pace_tracking.jpg

Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV launched at Rs. 1.06 crore-20210616052918_i_pace_rear_static.jpg

Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV launched at Rs. 1.06 crore-20210616052918_i_pace_front_seats.jpg

Quote:
The I-Pace is interesting in look, feels special inside and offers all the peace and quiet you expect of an EV. What distinguishes the I-Pace, though, is the way it drives. It’s entertaining in a way you wouldn’t expect an EV to be. This fun-to-drive character could be the hook in a field of luxury EVs that are close on price and spec. For now, all we can say is – space, pace and grace; the I-Pace has it all.

Last edited by Venkatesh : 16th June 2021 at 19:01.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 13:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar I-Pace first drive video review
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks