Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2021, 21:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra to launch eKUV100 and eXUV300 by 2022

15.9 kWh does not sound like a serious attempt at a car they would want to sell in numbers. It sounds more like an attempt to showcase electrification. I can understand this from Mahindra's perspective as they do not see any incentive in offering a serious product.

The post does not indicate if 15.9 kWh is the rated capacity or the usable capacity. To calculate range we would need the usable capacity(rated capacity - (sum of the top and bottom buffers) ).
For example, my ZS EV has a 44.5kWh rated capacity but 42.5kWh usable capacity. The car returns an efficiency in summer of
4.5Miles/kWh(careful driving) = range of 191
4(spirited driving) = range of 170
If I were to use these figures as a reference and assume a usable capacity of 14kWh, we are looking at
careful driving = range of 67.5 miles
spirited driving = range of 56 miles
Now, these are ranges for 0 to 100% battery usage. Normally we only use 10/20 to 80% of capacity because on the battery charging curve this is the window where the battery charges fastest.

It is my belief these numbers may not attract interest from fleet operators and will not convince private owners to give up their fossil fuel cars (unless of course, they sell it at a price point that people might consider using it as a second car for neighbourhood school runs, grocery shopping etc..). I am thinking 5 Lacs price bracket.

When eXUV300 numbers are out we can evaluate how practical it might be.
LeoRBK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 11:18   #17
BHPian

This seems like the exact drivetrain that was introduced in E2O plus P8. Then it was put in e-Verito and now in Kuv100.

My only question, if they already had this drivetrain for last 7 years, why did it take so long to plonk it in a body shell which they also had for 5 years?
While I love my E2O plus, Mahindra is not serious about this project, if they were, some more urgency would be shown. Even now, their Fast charging seems to be 15kW DC001. While the world is moving towards 350kW charging, Mahindra sticks to 10 year old standard that was first introduced in E2O. Atleast go to CCS-2 and 25kW. (I hope I am proven wrong here and KUV does end up having CCS-2 charging)

My E2O plus which is super light only gives 10 km/kwh, I cannot see a heavier Kuv giving more than 8 km/kwh. Which means nothing more than 120kms.

So we have a car with low range, an outdated fast charging standard, will have poor fit and finish (my XUV was not great either, and I absolutely hated the KUV I rented from zoomcar) and will be slow.
While I would never buy this car, us Indians love Swift DZire, Wagon-R and some folks even bought Zen Estillo, so who knows.
mohanphadnis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 15:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

XUV 300 EV is expected to be launched in early 2023.

Source:
ashutoshb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 16:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post

Source: https://Youtu.be/KAb9fPVVs2U
By that point Tata will probably have atleast 4-5 EVs and years of data, knowledge and experience. Hope the XUV300 nails it in the first attempt/iteration.
Old 17th August 2021, 16:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post

Source: https://Youtu.be/KAb9fPVVs2U
The initial thread said 2022. Now it’s pushed to 2023. What a timeline, pandemic situation, understandable, sure. But Tata is not stopping EV push unlike Mahindra despite pandemic. Sheer lack of interest.

I hope they can carry over some killer pricing from the 7OO to the eXUV300 or else Nexon EV will still have free run in the EV space. Unless Mahindra has forgotten, central gov EV subsidies, as it stands, are going to expire in 2023 (unless extended like FAME 2). M&M needs to pull EV lineup together before it’s too late.

Tata has what, like, 10 EVs planned by 2025 (TeamBHP thread : (Tata Motors to have 10 EVs in its portfolio by 2025)). And here we have M&M, eating M&Ms and relaxing, while Tata prepares to do media unveil of Tigor Ziptron tomorrow, the third EV (if you count 72V tigor EV as XpressT and not Tigor)

I hope eXUV300 is worth the wait, because if it isn’t, it doesn’t bode well for them losing a growing market. Callous of him to say that it’s still 2-3y for full fledged EV transition. (Especially when Nexon EV is doing triple digits sales monthly, amid triple digit fuel prices).

Nexon EV had 10x more sales than that of eVerito in 2020. And still more annual sales of Nexon EV than their TUV300.

Let’s not even bother with the KUV100. Tigor is already the choice for fleet unlike the Verito and KUV (if and when it comes, that is).

Last edited by Shresth_EV : 17th August 2021 at 16:51. Reason: Typos and added links to sales figures
Shresth_EV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 13:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shresth_EV View Post
The initial thread said 2022. Now it’s pushed to 2023. What a timeline, pandemic situation, understandable, sure. But Tata is not stopping EV push unlike Mahindra despite pandemic. Sheer lack of interest.
Exactly my thoughts. We are approaching a phase where people are more interested in switching to EV space, especially with ever-increasing fuel prices.
Though the chicken-egg problem is there, I can see the number of EV chargers is increasing and Nexon EV is already proving that people are interested in EV and M&M is making a mistake of delaying the launches of EV.

Also, the inner thought of mine is that M&M are launching XUV 700 with absolute bonkers features at a price point because they already might have a sense that people are thinking about switching to EV space and the new customers should have a value for the new products, else it might not make sense for the new products.

Having said above, am pretty sure M&M will have products in the EV space with good features, the only problem is when they will be launched and how much value will they hold.

Personal for me, am planning to switch to a new vehicle and I prefer vehicles with a high riding position and I am interested either in Thar or XUV 700, though both are different categories. The only thing which is stopping me from looking at them are the questions that should I wait till a good EV with a high riding position rolls out? The other one is will those EVs will be proper SUVs, because if someone says single motor SUV, then it won't suit my 20% specific needs. I guess for now I can't decide on a vehicle for another 3 years.

But surely M&M might lose more customers like me if the product portfolio doesn't have EVs sooner, but also they might come with a bang with products like Thar and XUV 700 having great features.

Last edited by Kannan : 22nd August 2021 at 13:57.
Kannan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 15:15   #22
BHPian

The smallest Mahindra needs the following -
* Mahindra should clean up certain design elements of the car to appeal a larger audience. Those character lines does lend a lot of character no doubt, but it's on the louder side.
* A bigger battery pack is needed for a good enough range. Not every one would purchase it for grocery runs. Many people will use it as their primary vehicle. A bigger battery pack with more capabilities will definitely up its value.
*Usable performance is needed and not something that does only 80/85 kmph. An E-scooter that was unveiled recently claims a top speed of 115 kmph.
Old 22nd August 2021, 18:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
Also, the inner thought of mine is that M&M are launching XUV 700 with absolute bonkers features at a price point because they already might have a sense that people are thinking about switching to EV space and the new customers should have a value for the new products, else it might not make sense for the new products.

Having said above, am pretty sure M&M will have products in the EV space with good features, the only problem is when they will be launched and how much value will they hold.

Personal for me, am planning to switch to a new vehicle and I prefer vehicles with a high riding position and I am interested either in Thar or XUV 700, though both are different categories.

The only thing which is stopping me from looking at them are the questions that should I wait till a good EV with a high riding position rolls out? The other one is will those EVs will be proper SUVs, because if someone says single motor SUV, then it won't suit my 20% specific needs. I guess for now I can't decide on a vehicle for another 3 years.
Although making AWD EVs is easier than AWD fuel siblings (just throw in another motor on rear axle), I don’t think you’d find many in India to say the least. If you’re in for 4WD, I don’t think any EV has that. Maybe rivian and Hummer EV, but they’d cost a bomb to buy.

I fear the proper “Electric suv” is far from being invented yet. Most are just lifted wagons with AWD. (ID4 and Enyaq) Model X is terrible in the sense of the SUV term attached to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 510 View Post
The smallest Mahindra needs the following -
* Mahindra should clean up certain design elements of the car to appeal a larger audience. Those character lines does lend a lot of character no doubt, but it's on the louder side.
I think Mahindra will do a facelift of XUV300 and alongside that, reveal the electric version, much like Tata did with Nexon. At least their roadmap suggests so.
Mahindra to launch eKUV100 and eXUV300 by 2022-443a601feb2e42febb5d9f2650b67853.jpeg

I think that’s why it’s being pushed back. Lots of new models in pipeline to focus on face lifting XUV300 and adding electric Powertrain.

Quote:
* A bigger battery pack is needed for a good enough range. Not every one would purchase it for grocery runs. Many people will use it as their primary vehicle. A bigger battery pack with more capabilities will definitely up its value.
*Usable performance is needed and not something that does only 80/85 kmph. An E-scooter that was unveiled recently claims a top speed of 115 kmph.
I’m not sure if you’re referring to eKUV in these two points or the eXUV. The eKUV is not built on MESMA350. It’s made on 72V architecture much like Tata XpressT. So expecting good range and performance is futile from this car.

MESMA350 (350V platform) based EVs reportedly do support dual motor AWD and battery sizes upto 80kWh. eXUV will go on MESMA, so the speed and range demands will be met.

The problem is, how costly would it be. To say that EVs have low range is false.

A model s can do 600km+ but also look at price — you pay more to get more range. The average bottom line efficiency for EVs appears to be 150Wh/km.

To get 400km, you’d need at least 60kWh (Tesla model 3 prime example)

To get 500km, you’d need 75kWh (model y prime example)

With M&M currently using expensive NMC batteries (unlike cheaper and more durable LFP ones in use by Tata), it’s not possible to undercut the Nexon EV even with same battery capacity due to NMC being costlier per kWh than LFP.
Old 22nd August 2021, 20:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is, how costly would it be. To say that EVs have low range is false.

A model s can do 600km+ but also look at price — you pay more to get more range. The average bottom line efficiency for EVs appears to be 150Wh/km.

I think the range & cost problem is also because of govt. policies, when the govt says "subsidy of upto 1.5Lakh for first 35,000 EVs with an ex-factory price of up to Rs 15 lakh under FAME-II."

The manufacturer may not bother with range, but how to keep ex-factory price below 15 lakh and how quickly the target of 35,000 units can be capitalized to attract customers.
Tata moved in quite fast, i am pretty sure the majority of 35K units registered for 4 wheeler subsidy would be Tata EV's.

Problem is the policy could in some terms play a spoil sport for long range EV's like MG ZS & kona due to ex-factory cap. now even they would target to down size (or range) based on the govt. policies.
While the technology to scale up the range is there commercially as evident from their international products, the govt. policies works against it and the manufacturers just respond to that.
End Result - we customers get saddled with whatever range the manufacturers can muster at 15Lakh.
If the govt did not have such a low cap for ex-factory then you could have seen MG , Hyundai higher range EV's in India but instead now we have the same manufacturers planning for a lower range sub 15Lakh EV for Indian market(price known but range unknown as usual). Rumors of low range/cost MG are already there.
Old 22nd August 2021, 20:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Although making AWD EVs is easier than AWD fuel siblings (just throw in another motor on rear axle), I don’t think you’d find many in India to say the least. If you’re in for 4WD, I don’t think any EV has that. Maybe rivian and Hummer EV, but they’d cost a bomb to buy.

I fear the proper “Electric suv” is far from being invented yet. Most are just lifted wagons with AWD. (ID4 and Enyaq) Model X is terrible in the sense of the SUV term attached to it.

I think Mahindra will do a facelift of XUV300 and alongside that, reveal the electric version, much like Tata did with Nexon. At least their roadmap suggests so.
Attachment 2196849

I think that’s why it’s being pushed back. Lots of new models in pipeline to focus on face lifting XUV300 and adding electric Powertrain.

I’m not sure if you’re referring to eKUV in these two points or the eXUV. The eKUV is not built on MESMA350. It’s made on 72V architecture much like Tata XpressT. So expecting good range and performance is futile from this car.

MESMA350 (350V platform) based EVs reportedly do support dual motor AWD and battery sizes upto 80kWh. eXUV will go on MESMA, so the speed and range demands will be met.

With M&M currently using expensive NMC batteries (unlike cheaper and more durable LFP ones in use by Tata), it’s not possible to undercut the Nexon EV even with same battery capacity due to NMC being costlier per kWh than LFP.
I was pointing towards the smallest offering the KUV one double O from the house of M&M . By usable performance I meant three digit capability (a top speed of 105-110kmph) and as far as range is concerned an atleast of 150-180 km real world range would be quite good. I was not at all expecting a Tesla out of a KUV one double O. An affordable small EV that neither lacks range (150-180km) nor makes one think twice (due to the lack of decent speed) before embarking upon small intercity highway drives will be enough to keep it's buyers happy. Since Mahindra has recently mentioned that they would start launching EV's only by 2023. I hope they equip their one double 0 quite well by that time. I'm sure they have enough tricks up their sleeves. The EV space is progressing very rapidly and a lot can happen in the coming years IMHO.

Last edited by Phantom 510 : 22nd August 2021 at 20:51.
Old 16th September 2021, 15:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Was browsing through the Mahindra Electric website, and just noticed this in one of the scrolling images:

Mahindra to launch eKUV100 and eXUV300 by 2022-img_20210916_143152.jpg

Shows the eKUV100 in the same shade of Dark Blue as was uploaded a few posts ago, and shows a range of 110Kms at 85% SOC, with AC On. So, a guess-timated range of 130 odd Kilometres.

So, it's going to be another City Only vehicle in the Mahindra Electric portfolio of vehicles, and not a long distance tourer by any means.

P.S. - Can't seem to authenticate the Registration Number shown in the image on the mParivahan App.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 15:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Was browsing through the Mahindra Electric website, and just noticed this in one of the scrolling images:

Shows the eKUV100 in the same shade of Dark Blue as was uploaded a few posts ago, and shows a range of 110Kms at 85% SOC, with AC On. So, a guess-timated range of 130 odd Kilometres.

So, it's going to be another City Only vehicle in the Mahindra Electric portfolio of vehicles, and not a long distance tourer by any means.

P.S. - Can't seem to authenticate the Registration Number shown in the image on the mParivahan App.
Good catch! It was expected that the eKUV100 will be a city only car.

Tthere were rumours of the eXUV300 having a larger battery and therefore a better range.

The eKUV100 and the eXUV300 have been delayed a lot and one wonders if Mahindra is really putting much effort into launching these vehicles. If I were a betting man, I would wager Tata launches another 2 EVs before Mahindra even launches one.
Chrome6Boy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 21:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Upcoming eKUV100 spied again, un-camouflaged!

Mahindra to launch eKUV100 and eXUV300 by 2022-mahindrakuv100electricspiedtatapunch31068x601.jpg

Mahindra to launch eKUV100 and eXUV300 by 2022-mahindrakuv100electricspiedtatapunch21068x1068.jpg

Mahindra to launch eKUV100 and eXUV300 by 2022-mahindrakuv100electricspiedtatapunch11068x601.jpg

Source
AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 23:05   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
KA05 EM 3539 shows as a 2003 model TVS Victor, FC expired. EM series Is for two-wheelers here.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 10:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra’s electric XUV300 likely to be christened XUV400

Name:  20200205121033_eXUV300.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  73.9 KB

Quote:
At a recent press conference Rajesh Jejurikar, executive director, auto and farm sectors at Mahindra Group, said “We may name that [the electric version of 300] the XUV 400, we believe it has an opportunity to be named differently.” However, Jejurikar added that “this still a codename”.
Quote:
The eXUV300’s production version was to hit the streets by 2023. However, due to multiple delays caused by the pandemic and the ongoing chip shortage, the electric SUV could launch in 2024 or later.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks