Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2022, 09:58   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
EV experts and users - I need some advice. I have been looking to get a new car for the past year or so and cannot get my mind to settle on anyone.

Here are the questions -
1. What would be the practical range of ZS EV from Bangalore to Coimbatore or back (considering the Thoppur ghat section)?
2. Will the battery degrade soon and reduce the range? Or how long before the battery loses range (say reduces to 80% or its new car range).

I am sure ZS EV is an excellent city car. But is it practical for highways?
ZS EV will be a very good car for your requirements. In the city you will not face any challenge in keeping your car charged.

Between Bangalore and Coimbatore, there are no less than 15 fast chargers. Even a quick 30 mins charge at any of these places will ensure you can reach either of the destinations without any range anxiety.
Have a look at https://www.plugshare.com/, you will find a list of all the charging stations available. New ones are added regularly and updated. I don't think one will need worry too much charging facilities along major highways in a years time.
Practical range of the ZS EV will be around 300Kms-320Kms even if you drive like a normal ICE cars. This is more than sufficient for your use case.

On battery degradation, it depends on how you use. It is always advisable to use the slow charging/AC charging as much as possible, this will prolong the battery life. Do not let the battery deplete too much, this will affect the longevity of the battery.
MG ZS, Kona and Nexon EV are in the market for 2 years now. I don't see any major degradation reported by users.

Here is one example of a Doctor using his Nexon EV for over 85000Kms with no issues

speedmiester is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 10:15   #62
Senior - BHPian

MG ZS EV facelift media drive reviews will be out on 25th March at 10 AM.

MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-20220309_101133.jpg

MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-20220309_101138.jpg

MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-20220309_101142.jpg

MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-20220309_101148.jpg

MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-20220309_101157.jpg

MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-20220309_101200.jpg

MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-20220309_101211.jpg

MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-20220309_101219.jpg

MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-20220309_101221.jpg

MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-20220309_101234.jpg

MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-20220309_101237.jpg

MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-20220309_101257.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 9th March 2022 at 10:18.
Venkatesh is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 15:03   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
The website clearly shows both the models.
difference will be lack of 360 camera
pm 2.5 filter
electric folding side mirrors (not just adjustment)
sunroof.
no rear cross traffic alert
no blind spot alert
Rain sensing wipers.
and probably certain connected features

I dont see why they wish to sell a 20 lakh plus car with9out power orvm

These are clearly different from the overseas models which have all the safety features in base model.
I don't know if we can look at this 20 lakh plus car with the same glasses as we do with ICE cars. EVs are much more expensive than their ICE counterparts.

I do agree with you about the manual ORVM adjustments. Perhaps this is a misprint. I don't see this happening in production. I would have happily traded some creature comforts for ventilated seats but even the top end doesn't seem to come with them unfortunately.

If you ask me, the ZS EV base model is real value for money, and they are not skimping on the main safety features like other manufacturers do on their base models like the 6 airbags, ESC, rear disc brakes, ABS, EBD, hill hold, etc. In my personal opinion, in India, ADAS is a luxury not an essential safety feature just yet.

Over the Nexon EV XM (base model) you get way better range, interiors and safety for a not as big of a price increase. Over the Kona you have a better price with more space and now a larger battery with probably better range.

At a time when we usually have our Team-BHP members criticizing the pricing of almost every new car release, you'll find most people here actually pleasantly surprised by what MG has done.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 16:22   #64
BHPian

1. What would be the practical range of ZS EV from Bangalore to Coimbatore or back (considering the Thoppur ghat section)?
Ans : You will have to charge the car once in between. This can be done during your Breakfast/Lunch breaks. Banglore to coimbatore has many charges located near all big restaurants. The time taken for journey will be comparable to ICE cars

2. Will the battery degrade soon and reduce the range? Or how long before the battery loses range (say reduces to 80% or its new car range).
Ans : For the battery to come down to 80% SOC, it would take atleast 10 to 12 yrs (under normal driving conditions), after which it can still be used inside cities or can be used as Battery backup for Home Solar.

Very much practical, provided the route has charging facilities, which right now is available in every state/national Highways.
pram_ind is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 17:20   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post

Here are the questions -

Bangalore-Coimbatore is probably one of the easiest sections that you can do on the highway today. You need to charge once if you want to drive normally. This charge can be done either at omalur, sankari or even Avinashi (will be tight but plausible in the new one)

The return will need a little more energy because of the uphill but still easy with 1 charge.

Battery degradation is really not a thing. Read up on all the studies conducted on 10 year old Teslas. In all likelihood, your range will drop from 350 to 320-320 in 10 years.
lina is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 19:17   #66
BHPian

I got my MG ZS EV 2021 Exclusive model during the month of Sep'21 and it costed me 24.58 Lakhs Ex-showroom. The 2022 model is being launched at 25.88 Lakhs Ex-showroom for the same variant.

The battery capacity is 50.3kWh for the '22 model whereas it was 44.5kWh for the '21 model. This means, a 13% increase in the battery capacity with an increase of 5% on the price. I would say, this is definitely an aggressive launch price by MG.

But, as we all know that the prices start creeping up by 25k to 50k every couple of months as the demand keeps increasing.

After the initial euphoria about the new model and the aggressive pricing subsides - the customer continues to look for value for money and I don't see the VFM perception changing at all in favour of the ZS EV with this launch.

The customers who were wanting to buy the '21 model will probably upgrade to the '22 model, but, it is very unlikely that, this price point will bring in new customers from the other ICE car customers or shift the potential Nexon EV customers into ZS EV customers.

So, essentially, the ZS EV will continue to clock the same volumes even in the new Avatar and from that perspective, this may not turn out to be a game changer launch.

Moreover, an increase of 40-50 KM in the range over the earlier model might sound interesting on paper due to the ever present range anxiety issues, it will not dramatically alter the landscape for long distance travel for the customers.

The question that probably the EV passenger car manufacturers should be asking themselves would be - what is the sweet spot for range versus the price?

My view is, 150-200 KM range, 8L to 10L price point with fast chargers located at every 25 kilometres along the highways. Right now, we are far from it and I am very optimistic, we will get there sooner than later.

Cheers
Early_Adopter is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 00:12   #67

Gave my ZS EV 2020 a gift (Original Astor tail lights) for completing 50000kms without any hassle or a major mechanical problem. The car is still as good as new in terms of driving and I am shocked about this fact that I drive with the heaviest foot possible and the battery degradation is just 3 to 3.5 perc and car goes to 100 in no time. This journey to 50000 was amazing and every time I drive this car even now, a big smile comes on my face. Makes me feel like a kid again. Also waiting for the new one (2022 model)
to arrive in march end or April first week

Also had an interesting chat with the SA today and he gave me the info that the car is fully equipped with ADAS and has all the sensors needed but it is not activated and he told me that company is planning to activate ADAS for 3 years subscription for a certain amount which will be 30 to 50k. Don't know how much of this is true but I wouldn't mind paying 30k for 3 years but 50 is too steep. Lets see what all will be on offer.

Mod Note: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission.
Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.
Attached Thumbnails
MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-screenshot_20220310001011_whatsapp.jpg  

MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-screenshot_20220310000928_whatsapp.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd March 2022 at 13:44.
anshul70701 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 11:15   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Just coming from a test drive of the car. Initial impressions are very positive.
I test drove the car yesterday and I have very similar observations to yours. Although it's an incremental update but it has improved across the board in terms of battery, motor, suspension, cabin and features. Overall a very relaxing and comfortable car with excellent throttle response.

The only weakness(other than the brakes as you pointed) seems to be the handling. Although the battery weight is lower down it's heft is felt while taking a corner or while changing the lane at high speed. My daily drives(polo/civic) are lighter, low-slung cars and my opinion might be skewed. While the high speed ride quality seems to be similar to a Creta/Taigun, I felt the handling is not in the same league.

It would be interesting to know your thoughts on the agility of the car vis-à-vis City/Creta/Compass.
Old 10th March 2022, 11:30   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshul70701 View Post
Gave my ZS EV 2020 a gift (Original Astor tail lights) for completing 50000kms without any hassle or a major mechanical problem.. The car is still as good as new in terms of driving and I am shocked about this fact that I drive with the heaviest foot possible and the battery degradation is just 3 to 3.5 perc and car goes to 100 in no time..... this journey to 50000 was amazing and everytime I drive this car even now, a big smile comes on my face... makes me feel like a kid again
Congratulations Anshul on complete 50,000 kms. It would be great if you could pen down your long term ownership review so that it helps many potential buyers. I would definitely like to read about your journey to 50K.
Old 10th March 2022, 11:31   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early_Adopter View Post
I got my MG ZS EV 2021 Exclusive model during the month of Sep'21 and it costed me 24.58 Lakhs Ex-showroom. The 2022 model is being launched at 25.88 Lakhs Ex-showroom for the same variant.

The battery capacity is 50.3kWh for the '22 model whereas it was 44.5kWh for the '21 model. This means, a 13% increase in the battery capacity with an increase of 5% on the price. I would say, this is definitely an aggressive launch price by MG.

But, as we all know that the prices start creeping up by 25k to 50k every couple of months as the demand keeps increasing.

After the initial euphoria about the new model and the aggressive pricing subsides - the customer continues to look for value for money and I don't see the VFM perception changing at all in favour of the ZS EV with this launch.

The customers who were wanting to buy the '21 model will probably upgrade to the '22 model, but, it is very unlikely that, this price point will bring in new customers from the other ICE car customers or shift the potential Nexon EV customers into ZS EV customers.

So, essentially, the ZS EV will continue to clock the same volumes even in the new Avatar and from that perspective, this may not turn out to be a game changer launch.

Moreover, an increase of 40-50 KM in the range over the earlier model might sound interesting on paper due to the ever present range anxiety issues, it will not dramatically alter the landscape for long distance travel for the customers.

The question that probably the EV passenger car manufacturers should be asking themselves would be - what is the sweet spot for range versus the price?

My view is, 150-200 KM range, 8L to 10L price point with fast chargers located at every 25 kilometres along the highways. Right now, we are far from it and I am very optimistic, we will get there sooner than later.

Cheers
With a) the facelift version's superior featurerice ratio and b) Nexon's EV subsidies falling off, won't the MG Excite version be equal VFM if not more compared to the Nexon XZ+. I am most probably making this switch - cancel my XZ+ dark and book MG excite once booking opens up.
Vindi13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 13:33   #71
BHPian

Took a look at the new ZS in the showroom in black colour and it looked stunning! I should be taking a test drive before this weekend, and will share my experience here.

In the meantime the SA mentioned this is a Lithium ion battery with nmc (nickel, manganese and cobalt oxide) and degradation should not be more than 20-25% over an 8-year period as a worst case scenario.

If we like the drive, we may go ahead and book the car!

Still torn between this and 2 other cars (Superb and Compass Model S) - any advantages or disadvantages experts here can think of, please do share.
Old 10th March 2022, 15:52   #72
BHPian

Lithium ion battery with nmc? Are you sure? grill the SA and ask for technical information. The barcode scan for the battery can tell about this.
As per my information and the forums in europe UK thus should be a LFP or lithium ion phosphate battery as its cheaper and better and safer due to less temperature degradation.
The lithium ion battery was upgraded during the 2020 update when range was increased.
if it older lithium ion nmc then the range will be reduced by 40 % as it operates in a 20-80 % band only. the lfp battery can be safely operated to full charge.
The battery setting in the lfp supposedly shows no option to limit the charge % however in the lithium ion nmc battery which in uk is 72 kwh battery has that option to charge it safely to this limit. (in order to prevent battery degradation and charge it to a certain limit especially overnight.
I already checked in the test drive that this option is not there in the 2022 version. You cannot limit the charging % which means its lfp.
Since this information is vital to the range request someone to verify this as to which battery .Thanks.

The news about the adas sensors is surprising and i did see the adas camera in the car. and the lack of adas was strongly denied by the SA and the technical guy. Please confirm this information. thanks.
sunny1974 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 11:22   #73
BHPian

Has anyone got any update regarding the delivery timelines?

Also, my booking on the MG app still does not show as Confirmed. Is this normal? Is anyone else also facing this?
Attached Thumbnails
MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-7b139b1c94634b9984ea94d22ac52b7c.jpeg  

siddharthgarg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 12:04   #74
BHPian

Yours shows a delivery date at least! Mine simply says Order placed. I think it might be best to follow up with your local dealer. I have been told realistically 3 months as there are about 25 bookings ahead of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthgarg View Post
Has anyone got any update regarding the delivery timelines?

Also, my booking on the MG app still does not show as Confirmed. Is this normal? Is anyone else also facing this?
zandot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 12:49   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
if it older lithium ion nmc then the range will be reduced by 40 % as it operates in a 20-80 % band only. the lfp battery can be safely operated to full charge.
IMO, not an accurate way to say range reduces by 40% for NMC chemistries. For a longer healthy life battery it's recommended to charge between 20-80% for your daily city usage, you can very well charge from 0-100% when on road trips or when needed. Though the LFP batteries are preferred for hotter climates like in India, NMC does not have a major drawbacks when the car comes with liquid cooling as in MG ZS EV. My point is as an end user you should not be worried about battery chemistries.
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks