Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2022, 10:03   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

BYD to launch electric SUV & MPV in India

BYD to launch Tang electric SUV and Song Max EV MPV in India, make passenger car market debut.

These will be the BYD Tang electric seven-seater SUV and the BYD Song Max electric MPV.

Quote:
BYD has been around in the Indian market as a commercial vehicles manufacturer since 2007. But its recent success with the BYD e6, a premium MPV aimed at the fleet segment, seems to have prompted the firm to take the leap into the Indian passenger vehicle market
It is expected that the company will launch the BYD Tang EV and the BYD Song Max EVs in India as CBUs, before ramping up operations to a CKD setup. Even as CBUs, these vehicles could well offer the range and tech of the premium luxury brands at significantly lower prices.

BYD Tang Electric SUV :

The BYD Tang electric SUV is set to lead BYD India's foray into the passenger space. The second-gen Tang is BYD's global SUV flagship and is the second model from the firm's Dynasty series of high-performance EVs, made most popular by the Han EV sedan. The BYD Tang is powered by the company's proprietary blade LFP battery, which uses a staggered cell structure for improved energy density, damage protection and thermal efficiency. In this luxury SUV, the battery is rated at 86.4 kWh which gives the Tang a WLTP range of 400 km. The battery can take DC charging of up to 110 kW which charges the battery from 30 to 80 per cent in 30min and AC charging up to 40 kW through BYD's proprietary AC chargers.

The Tang is powered by two electric motors making a combined 516PS and 680 Nm in its most potent form, which should also make it the most powerful electric SUV in the country with a 0 to 100 kmph time of 4.6s. A more basic variant with 214PS and 565 km of NEDC range is also available, which could well be the version that BYD brings to India.

Notable features in the three-row SU include a full suite of ADAS tech, LED lighting, 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster, 12.8-inch rotating touchscreen, 31-colour ambient lighting, two-sone climate control, wireless charging, Dirac 8-speaker audio, heated and cooled front seats, 22-inch alloy wheels(possible downsized for India) and 8 airbags. The BYD Tange should be priced at around Rs 60 lakh when it launches in the Indian market.

BYD Song Max Electric MPV:

BYD to launch electric SUV & MPV in India-2022bydsongmaxevmpv900x506.jpg

Quote:
However, the mainstay of the BYD passenger car line-up will most likely be the BYD Song Max MPV. The Song max is closely related to the e6, essential its more premium, passenger market version, which will allow BYD to bring it in as a CKD. Given that assembly operations for the e6 are already underway at the firm's facility in Chennai. This could allow BYD India to price the Song Max competitively at around Rs 30 lakh.

The BYD Song Max for India should use the same 71.7 kWh battery pack as the BYD e6 and give it a range of over 400 km. But a more powerful electric motor can be expected, possibly a 161PS and 280 Nm unit. Charging speeds should be similar to the e6, which can accept 60 kW DC charging which fully charges the battery in 1.5 hours. A 6.6 kW AC charger and the 40 kW AC fast charger should also be available.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th April 2022 at 10:08.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 10:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BYD to launch electric SUV & MPV in India

More of BYD's TAN EV ( as revealed in Brazil)

- BYD Tan EV adopts two electric motors, one on each axle (245 hp front motor and 272 hp rear motor). This provides combined power of 517 HP and maximum set torque of 680 N.m. Thus, the Tan EV can accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 4.6 seconds.

- The model adopts the 'Blade Battery' -- thinner lithium-iron-phosphate (LFP) cells with 800 amp energy cells. ( rumored to be coming in the Toyota Suzuki EV's)

-The BYD Tan EV is equipped with driver assistance equipment, including 25 safety features such as 360-degree HD surround camera, 11 external radars and ADAS system.

BYD to launch electric SUV & MPV in India-bydtanev.jpg

Name:  BYDTanEV 1.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  94.4 KB

Name:  BYDTanEV 7.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  116.8 KB

Name:  BYDTanEV 63.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  132.4 KB

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 11:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: BYD to launch electric SUV & MPV in India

Theoretically there was a BYD e6 model no? Although apart from test mules, have not seen a single car on road.
Old 20th April 2022, 18:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BYD to launch electric SUV & MPV in India

BYD Han EV performance sedan spotted at Chennai plant.

BYD in India has so far had a presence in the commercial EV space in India, but the presence of this car at the facility could mean that BYD may have some big plans for the Indian market.

Quote:
This could mean a debut for BYD, the world's second-largest EV maker, in the Indian passenger car market or could well be just a test prototype brought in for testing in our varied climatic and road conditions, which has been a trend among global carmakers.
BYD to launch electric SUV & MPV in India-2022bydhanevspiedindia900x506.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th April 2022 at 18:47.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 18:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

^^ I have seen this car a few times on the road in Chennai, in dark blue color. Most recent sighting was a couple of days ago in the evening near trident hotel. Car was going towards Tambaram. Do they have a plant in Chennai?
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 19:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ I have seen this car a few times on the road in Chennai, in dark blue color.
You saw a TN-612 or TN-614 car just like one in page 4 (BYD e6 electric MPV, now launched at Rs 29.15 lakh)?

It is the e6, not Tan or Han that's on this thread.

Quote:
Do they have a plant in Chennai?
They have a plant in Oragadam, but it is not a car assembly plant.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 11:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Theoretically there was a BYD e6 model no? Although apart from test mules, have not seen a single car on road.
I live in Hyderabad and have been seeing a few of these cars often in the past month. I have seen a few Blue ones and a white one. They look good from outside and I would love to try out the Tang SUV when it is launched.

I have had a ride in a couple of BYD electric cars during a visit to China a couple of years and I was impressed with the finish quality and quietness during the drive.
chandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 19:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Honestly their products seem way more premium than MG and could be the ones that break into the relatively affordable luxury electric car segment in India. Currently there is a big gap between 25l to 1 crore in the electric segment.
Old 21st April 2022, 20:06   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

BYD HAN, the luxury EV sedan launched in Brazil at a price of R $ 539.990 ( ~ INR 89 lakhs)

BYD launches the Han EV electric sedan - one of the best-selling electric models in China.

Equipped with a 76.9 kWh battery, the BYD Han EV has a quick recharging. Allows you to go from 30% to 80% in 25 minutes, requiring only 10 minutes of recharge for up to 135 km of autonomy. Fully charged, allows autonomy to travel distances of up to 500 km, NEDC cycle (New European Driving Cycle).

In terms of performance, the Han EV can reach a top speed of 186 km/h and accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 3.9 seconds. It incorporates four-wheel drive and is equipped with two electric motors, one on each axle (222 hp front motor and 272 hp rear motor), providing a combined power of 494 HP and maximum torque set of 680 N.m.

The design of the HAN EV is characterized by large dimensions, measuring almost 5 meters in length

The interior of the Han EV features solid wood panels, built-in electric handles, leather seats, aluminum finishes and other materials. There are other details like the 15.6" DiLink multimedia screen with electric rotation.

BYD to launch electric SUV & MPV in India-bydhanev-48.jpg

BYD to launch electric SUV & MPV in India-bydhanev-62.jpg

BYD to launch electric SUV & MPV in India-bydhanev-24.jpg

BYD to launch electric SUV & MPV in India-bydhanev-22.jpg

BYD to launch electric SUV & MPV in India-bydhanev-9.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 11:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
You saw a TN-612 or TN-614 car just like one in page 4 (BYD e6 electric MPV, now launched at Rs 29.15 lakh)?

It is the e6, not Tan or Han that's on this thread.

They have a plant in Oragadam, but it is not a car assembly plant.
Correct, I remember now those were the cars I saw from time to time.

If not for car assembly, then what other plant do they have here?
Old 25th April 2022, 17:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If not for car assembly, then what other plant do they have here?
I'm not a Chennaiite (anymore), but I think BYD is making mobile handset components, chargers and solar-related equipment in your hometown.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 25th April 2022 at 18:01.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 19:11   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

BYD Atto 3 electric SUV expected to launch at Auto Expo 2023.

Name:  20220610062504_BYD Atto 3.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  64.9 KB

The Chinese carmaker will foray into the personal EV segment in India with an MG ZS EV-rivalling SUV priced at around Rs 30 lakh.

Quote:
BYD Atto 3 to come to India as a CBU import
Will use patented Blade Battery Technology
Quote:
Its direct rival is the MG ZS EV; measuring 4,455mm in length, 1,875mm in width, and with a wheelbase of 2,720mm, the Atto 3 is larger in every dimension.

It's more powerful too – the BYD Atto 3’s permanent magnet synchronous motor generates 204hp and 310Nm of max torque. The company claims a 0-100kph time of just 7.3 seconds for this SUV that weighs between 1,680-1,750kg.
The Atto 3 uses the company’s patented Blade Battery Technology, which is claimed to be far safer and more forgiving in hostile conditions than other battery technologies. Charging options include a 3-pin AC or a Type-2 AC charger, and it also supports up to 80kW DC fast charging that’s said to recharge its battery pack in less than an hour.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th June 2022 at 19:14.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 16:48   #13
BHPian

Looks like BluSmart got their hands on one already. I saw this one near my residence. It had a temporary TN number. I wanted to go check out the car but the cab driver seemed to be in a hurry. I’m not sure how BluSmart got their hands on a yet to be launched car.
Attached Thumbnails
BYD to launch electric SUV & MPV in India-98005088df0e418298fff31461ca0919.jpeg  

beemer5499 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 22:05   #14
BHPian

What happened to GWC, Changan and some other Chinese companies India plan?
Old 12th June 2022, 12:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer5499 View Post
Looks like BluSmart got their hands on one already. I saw this one near my residence. It had a temporary TN number. I wanted to go check out the car but the cab driver seemed to be in a hurry. I’m not sure how BluSmart got their hands on a yet to be launched car.
That looks like an E6, which is already in the market.
Rossiter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks