Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2022, 17:50   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ola's first electric car for India teased

Mass market scooter in 2023?!

What exactly is the S1 other than a very troubled attempt at the same?
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 21:54   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Mass market scooter in 2023?!

What exactly is the S1 other than a very troubled attempt at the same?
May be they meant S1 Air where the deliveries will start in 2023.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 19:53   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Ola electric car design leaked.

Ola's first electric car for India teased-olaelectriccardesignpatent.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 14:51   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
AI can generate better designs. I don't find this any relevant when comparing it with the teasers they put out. It will look like a sleeker IONIQ with smoother falling lines.
hAwX is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 17:55   #80
BHPian

Its Ok kind of design in my opinion as a industrial designer, nothing praise worthy unless it evokes 'Wants' and 'Needs', at least the OLA scooter did that.
MotoDrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 19:29   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDrive View Post
Its Ok kind of design in my opinion as a industrial designer, nothing praise worthy unless it evokes 'Wants' and 'Needs', at least the OLA scooter did that.
OLA scooter was just a rebadge of Etergo AppScooter. So can't give OLA's team any credit for the designing. Their half baked features didn't turn out so good in the end. I had reliability issues on mine which took weeks to get fixed. They might have won the EV scooter market but failed as a company to deliver good product and most important - after sales support.
hAwX is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 09:48   #82
BHPian

Firstly we need to give it to OLA for being bullish on the Indian Auto marker, but my appreciation of them just ends there, this car of theirs the design looks inspired from many cars in the market, the front bonnet reminds me of tesla model 3. That being said I feel they should fix their QC department first else OLA might very well be on the path to "Biting more than they can chew".
Old 16th June 2023, 09:58   #83
BHPian

Bringing a car to market and ensuring its hassle free ownership is a huge challenge in itself. Doing it in the Indian car market with specific customer tastes and behaviours is even more so. Ola electric hoped to be the disrupter in the electric scooter segment. But they were disrupted themselves by their poorly engineered and sub-par product. The vehicle did not match its initial social media brouhaha.

The design is definitely heavily inspired. The specs don't mean much until real world performance and reliability can be showcased. Personally, I think the Indian car market is ripe for a disruptive electric car by a brave new manufacturer to beat the complacency and lack of commitment shown by the legacy manufacturers.

If Ola can deliver to its promise, it will change the Indian market for good.
Old 16th June 2023, 10:39   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Attachment 2463975

Link
Mahindra with years of Automotive experience is still few years out on their born electric vehicles, and global giants like Toyota and even Tesla taking years to get a new vehicle out to the market, I don't see this vehicle on roads in the next 5 years at the very least.

Still, all the best to Ola.
Old 16th June 2023, 11:09   #85
Senior - BHPian

The design is uncomfortably close to the silhouette of the Tesla Model 3.
The roofline, the bonnet flares, the rear side window trailing edge upward taper etc.
I am sure the OLA head of styling; helmed by a person who till recently held a similar role in one of India's homegrown OEM's and is credited to having styled, or let's say "inspired", one of its most successful 4x4's, that has more than a passing resemblance to an iconic global 4x4 model; can still make sufficient changes to make the styling more individualistic and original rather than it exhibiting a very close resemblance to any other EV sedan in this category.

Conceptualising, planning, designing, validating & testing, proto building, series manufacturing and selling motor vehicles, that too globally is no easy task. I am sure the powers that be at OLA realises this.

As per Autocar India magazine, this is going to be a Rs2.5 million rupee motor car.
Customers in this segment are widely travelled, have sampled and driven cars across the globe, are demanding and will not tolerate even the minutest of slip-up's. Hope the learnings and slip-up's from OLA's two wheeler launch will not be repeated for this segment of the market.
Attached Thumbnails
Ola's first electric car for India teased-ola-vs-tesla-model-3.jpg  

arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 13:19   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
I am sure the OLA head of styling; helmed by a person who till recently held a similar role in one of India's homegrown OEM's and is credited to having styled, or let's say "inspired", one of its most successful 4x4's, that has more than a passing resemblance to an iconic global 4x4 model; can still make sufficient changes to make the styling more individualistic and original rather than it exhibiting a very close resemblance to any other EV sedan in this category.
OLA has roped in Wayne Burgess who is a seasoned designer/design leader almost 2 years ago. I am sure they would come up with something more original than this Tesla look alike.
Old 16th June 2023, 13:32   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushan View Post
Personally, I think the Indian car market is ripe for a disruptive electric car by a brave new manufacturer to beat the complacency and lack of commitment shown by the legacy manufacturers.
We already have a disruptive electric car, which can be considered quite a success by EV standards (EVs still being a relatively new technology, with poor infrastructural support).

I am talking of course, about the Tata Nexon.

Tata is at the forefront of EV's in India, and with 3 products (and more to come), we cannot call them complacent or lacking commitment.

MG is also making attempts, along with Mahindra. BYD is trying to enter the market. Hyundai/Kia only have premium EVs for now, but they're likely to release more affordable offerings in the future.

Starting a new car company is a tremendous task. What Tesla has achieved is truly incredible, but will be almost impossible to replicate in India. Sticking with 2-wheelers is a smarter choice.

By the time Ola releases this car, MG, BYD, Hyundai/Kia will all have strong competing products launched as well.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 14:18   #88
BHPian

Am thinking, their journey from an EV Scooter " rebadge " manufacturer to an EV automobile manufacturer. I can already see all the millions being raised and burned !
Sk8r is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks