Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2022, 22:54   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Unique Tesla booking experience | EDIT: 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
A Technical university of Munich study found that automatic car washes with cloth brushes are far better than washing by hand. Washing by hand damages the most. Also changing washing methods between hand washing and automatic washing is also too bad for the paint. I have always used automatic car washes with cloth brushes and I am in and out in 5 minutes. Can't beat that.
Nice to know. I’m not too particular about color protection as I never owned a car for more than 3-4 years. LOL!

I will probably go to a touch less car wash. But, we get so much rain here, I doubt if I will be washing the car as much.

Quote:
do it immediately after delivery and not wait too long.
I will get the PPF coat done as soon as I get delivery.

Quote:
Earlier year red looked different than what I see now-a-days. It is now more of a crimson red and it has never been Ferrari red IMO. Having said that, I find the latest iteration of red to be visually different in shade and in sun. Here is one taken in sun below. Also extra coatings and films might give a slightly different feel to the colour.
My bad. I didn’t mean to say Ferrari red. But, more of a bright or popping red. I love it as the previous red was more on “maroon” shade.

Quote:
1. I see that now-a-days Tesla is not delivering the car with mobile connector and you also seem to have not selected while ordering. I would suggest ordering this either on their store or add it to your booking if possible. You don't have to purchase 14-50 adapter as it is shipped along with the mobile connector set. No you don't need an extension cable, I think.
I understood now. I just need to order the $200 Mobile Connector and 14-50 Adaptor is part of the same package. I see the cord is pretty big so no need to order for any extension cords as 3-6 feet length should suffice.

Quick Question : What is the difference between Wall Charging Connector vs. Mobile Connector?

Quote:
2. Charging speed is measured in kW and Energy is measured in kWh. So at home, if you charge with 14-50, you get about 7.7kW (240V * 32A output from mobile connector) charging speed. With this speed, if your battery pack is 77kWh (M3P has a bit more I think), it takes 10 (77/7.7) hours to fully charge. So miles per hours is a strange number as it depends on how efficient the car is driven. Say if you charge for one hour, you get 7.7kWh and if your efficiency is 4 miles/kWh (same as 250Wh/mile which is shown in the car), then you get 4 * 7.7 = 30.8 miles per hour. If you drive less efficiently, then for the same 7.7kWh you get less miles per hours, effectively.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. It will take me some time to wrap my head around these calculations.

M3P comes with a 82KWH battery pack so your math would slightly change.

Quote:
3. AC home charging is safer as the charging speeds are low (7.7kW as mentioned before) and at a supercharger the charging speeds can go upto 250kW DC. It is not because of AC or DC, but because of higher charging speed induces more thermal stress on the cells and too much of anything is not good, right
Understood. Yet again, your explanation is like spoon feeding a child (which I am in this case).
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 01:09   #17
BHPian

re: Unique Tesla booking experience | EDIT: 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Quick Question : What is the difference between Wall Charging Connector vs. Mobile Connector?
Construction wise, the name literally means what it says. Wall connector is fixed and mobile connector can be carried with the car. Also mobile connector is weather sealed. So you can leave it also outdoors.

Technically, the charging speeds are different. Wall connector can charge the car upto 11kW (44miles/hr according to Tesla) but mobile connector only upto 7.7kW (30miles/hr). Since you already have 14-50 available, it is a no brainer to stick to mobile connector as it is cheaper and also you don't have to make any additional wiring changes (which is needed if you opt for a Wall connector).

Here is small real life calculation:

M3P has 82kWh for 0-100% SoC.On a regural basis, you will be charging only between 20-80% SoC ie 60% of full capacity or about 50kWh. With 7.7kW charger, the car should charge from 20% to 80% in about 7 hours.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 03:04   #18
BHPian

Quote:

What is ONR and a grid guard method? New terms for me its been really long that I washed car on my own (Except for first time recently for my BMW at home).

Also, can cermamic coat done at home on its own? Any products you recommend?
ONR = Optimum No Rinse, its a brand name and product is available on Amazon as well as other retailers. The 32Oz bottle sells for approximately $20 bucks and solution is to be diluted in 1Oz to 2 Gallon ratio. Two gallons is all it takes for a typical single wash so concentrate bottle will last quiet a while.

There are several youtube videos by professional detailers on how to do this. Typically it takes about 30 min. or less to do the entire car. Personally, I do it every other week and so far car is in a pretty great shape. Once finished with the wash, it looks as if its been professionally detailed.

For us Californians, it's a godsend since we have severe water restrictions due to multi year drought.

Quote:
A question for Tesla owners on forum. I have this outlet in my home garage. Does this mean that I just buy the 14-50 NEMA Plug from Tesla Website for $45 and I am good to charge the car at home?

Some basic questions

1. 14-50 NEMA Plug Adapter seems to be a short one so will I need to buy a longer cord?

Attachment 2346910
14-50 adaptor is just that which is a head that goes into the plug hence short.

It is paired with actual mobile connector which is designed to be carried around in the car.

One suggestion, if you are planning to use the existing 14-50 outlet, I'll get multiple 14-50 adaptors and keep one in car while keep other connected to your garage outlet. The existing 14-50 outlet is typically made to be plug and forget type use so frequent plugging in & unplugging it is not well tolerated and the outlet itself may wear out quickly. The standard and plug was developed for Dryers/AC etc. type uses where you don't frequently plug and unplug the connectors.

Another great option for aesthetics is to actually use existing wiring with Tesla wall connector for additional $200 on top of the mobile connector cost. It will look sleek and wont cost you that much to install (you can actually do it yourself in 30 min. since everything is already there). Major cost is the wiring & circuit itself which you already have. Any handyman or you can simply take out existing outlet and put wall connector in its place, its very very easy and doesn't require any expertise.

Remember, this will support only 50amp draw so you will not be able to fully utilize wall connector's potential since it needs 60Amp breaker to draw full 48Amp current which provides maximum charge rate. Basically, this solution will still provide higher charge rate than mobile connector and look aesthetically pleasing to the eye but not a must have.

Most expensive (but still reasonably cheap option for your particular situation) option is to upgrade the existing 50Amp breaker to 60Amp and then put in wall connector. This will give you the maximum benefit but its an overkill considering it will require electrician's help to change breaker in the panel. Do this if you really really want a best solution for home charging and you are not going to change your home anytime soon.

Personally, I have this last setup but my electrician had to do everything from scratch including wiring/new circuit breaker and labor & material cost to put in 14-50 vs wall connector was same. Hence I opted for wall connector for additional $200 bucks which also looks great.

Last edited by lexusES350 : 17th August 2022 at 03:16.
lexusES350 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 04:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
A Technical university of Munich study found that automatic car washes with cloth brushes are far better than washing by hand. Washing by hand damages the most. Also changing washing methods between hand washing and automatic washing is also too bad for the paint. I have always used automatic car washes with cloth brushes and I am in and out in 5 minutes. Can't beat that.
Well, this might be true for regular cars and may be in Europe where Munich is. Most common automatic car washes in US use plastic brushes which swirl around the car and known to cause swirl marks and scratches. In US automatic car wash is worst way to wash the car if one cares about the paint. For average Joe's its a fine because its low effort but for many others its surest way to ruin the paint. Touchless wash which uses high powered water jets is slightly better but it misses lot of spots which needs hand cleaning anyways. Best method is handwash with good clean microfiber towels with high quality lubricating soap/polymer solution and hand drying it in the shade again with very high quality microfiber towels.

Quote:
You don't have to purchase 14-50 adapter as it is shipped along with the mobile connector set. No you don't need an extension cable, I think.
This is no longer true, they do not include NEMA 14-50 adaptor along with mobile connector. It used to be included in the past but as part of cost cutting/rationalization which Tesla keeps doing, this is no longer included along with the mobile connector. One must purchase additional adaptor if they wish to use NEMA 14-50 outlet.

Edited : It looks like starting mid August, Tesla will resume including 14-50 adaptor in mobile connector kits again. Thats a great news for anyone yet to get one of those kits.

Last edited by lexusES350 : 17th August 2022 at 04:31.
lexusES350 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 05:05   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will probably go to a touch less car wash. But, we get so much rain here, I doubt if I will be washing the car as much.
Don't you live in Seattle? Just park it outside and voila, free car wash.
I usually wash my car 6-7 times a year, when it rains in California
Old 17th August 2022, 07:23   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusES350 View Post
ONR = Optimum No Rinse, its a brand name and product is available on Amazon as well as other retailers. The 32Oz bottle sells for approximately $20 bucks and solution is to be diluted in 1Oz to 2 Gallon ratio. Two gallons is all it takes for a typical single wash so concentrate bottle will last quiet a while.

There are several Youtube videos by professional detailers on how to do this. Typically it takes about 30 min. or less to do the entire car. Personally, I do it every other week and so far car is in a pretty great shape. Once finished with the wash, it looks as if its been professionally detailed.
Thanks LexusES350, that was an invigorating offline conversation on this topic.

I think this ONR solution is awesome for regular washes.

Quote:
For us Californians, it's a godsend since we have severe water restrictions due to multi year drought.
Here in Seattle it's the opposite. We have so much rain that we can send you some that you can use for your car washes.

Quote:
One suggestion, if you are planning to use the existing 14-50 outlet, I'll get multiple 14-50 adaptors and keep one in car while keep other connected to your garage outlet. The existing 14-50 outlet is typically made to be plug and forget type use so frequent plugging in & unplugging it is not well tolerated and the outlet itself may wear out quickly. The standard and plug was developed for Dryers/AC etc. type uses where you don't frequently plug and unplug the connectors.
That was a great suggestion. If not unplugging and plugging the 14-50 adaptor as it might destroy the outlet from that continuous plug and unplug action. I will down the road buy an additional 14-50 adaptor which is cheap at $45 that can stay in trunk of car for charges at external charging locations.

[quote=lexusES350;5381461Another great option for aesthetics is to actually use existing wiring with Tesla wall connector for additional $200 on top of the mobile connector cost. It will look sleek and wont cost you that much to install (you can actually do it yourself in 30 min. since everything is already there). Major cost is the wiring & circuit itself which you already have. Any handyman or you can simply take out existing outlet and put wall connector in its place, its very very easy and doesn't require any expertise.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. Now you are tempting me to spend that extra 200 bucks and get the wall connector. But, I am a completely non-DIY person and may not be able to do it on my own.

If you are willing to guide me on a FaceTime call then I don't mind coughing up that additional money.

Quote:
Most expensive (but still reasonably cheap option for your particular situation) option is to upgrade the existing 50Amp breaker to 60Amp and then put in wall connector. This will give you the maximum benefit but its an overkill considering it will require electrician's help to change breaker in the panel. Do this if you really really want a best solution for home charging and you are not going to change your home anytime soon.

Personally, I have this last setup but my electrician had to do everything from scratch including wiring/new circuit breaker and labor & material cost to put in 14-50 vs wall connector was same. Hence I opted for wall connector for additional $200 bucks which also looks great.
I will park this for now. Will look into it later as I learn more in my ownership.

Quote:
Technically, the charging speeds are different. Wall connector can charge the car upto 11kW (44miles/hr according to Tesla) but mobile connector only upto 7.7kW (30miles/hr). Since you already have 14-50 available, it is a no brainer to stick to mobile connector as it is cheaper and also you don't have to make any additional wiring changes (which is needed if you opt for a Wall connector).

Here is small real life calculation:

M3P has 82kWh for 0-100% SoC.On a regural basis, you will be charging only between 20-80% SoC ie 60% of full capacity or about 50kWh. With 7.7kW charger, the car should charge from 20% to 80% in about 7 hours.
Contruction aspect was clear from the beginning. I meant the charging speeds and now I am clear that it will take 7-hours to charge from 20% to 80%.

This brings me to a few additional questions (Sorry, If I am bombarding with questions but, I am enjoying learning this new way of driving an automotive)

Queries related to charging recommendations :

1. Why charge only till 80%?
2. Why not let it drop below 20% charge level?
3. Any idea till what battery level can the Tesla be driven? Is it till 1% charge level?
4. Recuperssions of charging till 100% battery level at Home vs. Supercharger?
5. Since Tesla batteries have a life of 300,000-500,000 miles do we really have to worry so much about the level till when it should be charged? I note your Tesla Model 3 lost only 3% battery life after driving it for 48,000 kms, is that correct?

Any other relevant points related to charging is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Don't you live in Seattle? Just park it outside and voila, free car wash. I usually wash my car 6-7 times a year, when it rains in California
LOL Tanveer. I'm also not too particular about car washes. I have bought an annual car wash package in one of those automated car washes. I just drive in and drive out around once in a month.

But, as you rightly said, we get so much rain that car being dirty is a non-issue.

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th August 2022 at 07:24.
Old 17th August 2022, 07:27   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

But, as you rightly said, we get so much rain that car being dirty is a non-issue.
On a serious note, get this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apply once every 6 months, and you have good enough paint protection to survive automatic car washes

Pretty cheap with the prime deal nowadays (7$)
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 09:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
:
Both can draw something like 32A after which software limits the current draw. Wall charger stores the connector cable in a elegant way. Mobile connector was free in 2018, not anymore I guess. But amperage is same. I just added a big hook around which I store the mobile connector cable.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 14:00   #24
BHPian

Quote:
1. Why charge only till 80%?
2. Why not let it drop below 20% charge level?
I just provided some round most likely values. You can also charge between 10-90% or 5-95%. But the more extremes you charge or discharge frequently, the battery degradation is slightly faster. That's why Tesla recommends to charge more than 90% for longer trips and not every day. This is also dependent on what type of cell chemistry is being used. The newer RWD M3's come with LFP type cells, which seems to not have this issue. So Tesla recommends you can charge to 100% too almost everyday without the levels of degradation seen in the other chemistry. But M3P does not use LFP (AFAIK). That's why recommended to not charge/discharge to extremes. Here below is my charging/discharging stats. You will see that I have charged to 100% only 3 times and discharged to 5% or lower only 7 times.

Unique Tesla booking experience | EDIT: 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance delivered-screenshot-20220817-101158.png

Quote:
3. Any idea till what battery level can the Tesla be driven? Is it till 1% charge level?
The lowest I have driven is 2%. I didn't have the guts to go below that . I have seen people driving it until empty (it comes to a stop). It seems to have about 10 miles after hitting 0%. But highly depends on weather, speed etc. It is something good to know, but hope we will not get there.

Quote:
4. Recuperssions of charging till 100% battery level at Home vs. Supercharger?
5. Since Tesla batteries have a life of 300,000-500,000 miles do we really have to worry so much about the level till when it should be charged? I note your Tesla Model 3 lost only 3% battery life after driving it for 48,000 kms, is that correct?
Well, at home if you charge at 7.7kW you get the same charging speed until 100%. In supercharger, the charging speeds are the highest at low SoCs and drops as SoC rises. This is how LR M3 charges at supercharger. I could not find one for M3P:

Name:  Screenshot from 20220817 102508.png
Views: 355
Size:  44.2 KB

Mine lost about 5.5% capacity in 3 years/48000kms. This is based on charging stats as attached in the first pic. So the degradation might slightly vary based on the levels of charging. As long as we stay within recommendations of Tesla, it should be minimal.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 17th August 2022 at 14:02.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 21:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Here in Seattle it's the opposite. We have so much rain that we can send you some that you can use for your car washes.
Please send some our way, we are under mandatory 20% cuts for water use or face severe fines.

Quote:

Hmmm. Now you are tempting me to spend that extra 200 bucks and get the wall connector. But, I am a completely non-DIY person and may not be able to do it on my own.

If you are willing to guide me on a FaceTime call then I don't mind coughing up that additional money.
I can guide you as all it will take is -
1. Turn off breaker which powers the existing NEMA 14-50 outlet.
2. Unscrew existing outlet & take out wires.
3. Install baseplate of Tesla wall connector and thread existing wires you just unplugged through it.
4. Connect it to Tesla wall connector - Bare copper is ground which will go into Ground inlet and the rest two are Hot & Cold (usually Red & Black) which will go into other two respective inlets on wall connector.
5. Fix the faceplate, turn on power and perform initial setup by connecting wall connector to wi-fi.

Pretty simple DIY since the circuit & breaker should already be there. If you are not willing to do it, I'm sure any handyman can do it for about 100 bucks or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Both can draw something like 32A after which software limits the current draw. Wall charger stores the connector cable in a elegant way. Mobile connector was free in 2018, not anymore I guess. But amperage is same. I just added a big hook around which I store the mobile connector cable.
Tesla wall connector can draw upto 48A if car supports it (all new cars from Tesla do) if its on a dedicated 60A circuit. Avinash's situation might be slightly less optimal since he is on 50A circuit assuming thats what they did when they put in NEMA 14-50 connector.

Easiest solution for Avinash is to not do anything and use 14-50 adaptor with mobile connector. This will limit charge rate to that of mobile connector.

Slightly more complicated but still easy is to take out 14-50 as explained above and put wall connector in its place. It should support somewhere around 36-40A pull depending on BMS calibration.

Best solution but still cheaper than most such install for Avinash's case is to hire an electrician to switch out existing 50A breaker to 60A and then put wall connector in. This last option wont be too expensive in his case since wiring/conduit etc. is already there so its simple job for an electrician. Should probably cost less than 500 or so in labor charges as it wont take more than an hour of their time. Breaker cost is about $30 for industrial grade one or less than $15 for regular one from home depot. Rest is just labor charge since electrician will simply swap out existing breaker with new one and wire the wall connector by screwing in 3 wires. Most cost for install is around running the wires/creating conduits etc. which fortunately is not required for Avinash.

Last edited by lexusES350 : 17th August 2022 at 22:01.
lexusES350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 00:04   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks all for your lovely contributions. This thread is now my bible for things to do when the car arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
On a serious note, get this

Apply once every 6 months, and you have good enough paint protection to survive automatic car washes

Pretty cheap with the prime deal nowadays (7$)
Awesome Tanveer. Checked this product out and seems to have really good reviews. Added to the cart but, will hit “buy” when the 3 arrives.

Where do you use the product and any pics of your results?

Quote:
Thanks. I see you have same car. Any pics of your charging set up in the garage? Would love to see how it looks.

Quote:
The lowest I have driven is 2%. I didn't have the guts to go below that. I have seen people driving it until empty (it comes to a stop). It seems to have about 10 miles after hitting 0%. But highly depends on weather, speed etc. It is something good to know, but hope we will not get there.

Well, at home if you charge at 7.7kW you get the same charging speed until 100%. In supercharger, the charging speeds are the highest at low SoCs and drops as SoC rises. This is how LR M3 charges at supercharger. I could not find one for M3P:

Mine lost about 5.5% capacity in 3 years/48000kms. This is based on charging stats as attached in the first pic. So the degradation might slightly vary based on the levels of charging. As long as we stay within recommendations of Tesla, it should be minimal.
Thanks Karthik. As usual, your feedback is invaluable and amazing detailed view.

If you lost 5.5% for 30,000 miles then if I do a linear math, it will lose 35% of battery capacity till 200,000 miles ( I doubt if any of us will own or drive till this number). This almost feels like we are talking not about a car but, about an iPhone. LOL!

When does Tesla recommends to change the whole battery pack which we may never do it in our ownership period? Also, I hear its expensive at $16,000

What is SoC?

You indeed have guts to drive until 2% which itself sounds crazy. And, it’s good to know you still have 10 miles of range left after hitting 0% (Other forums say the car comes to a standstill when it its 0% battery)

Quote:
Please send some our way, we are under mandatory 20% cuts for water use or face severe fines.

I can guide you as all it will take is -
1. Turn off breaker which powers the existing NEMA 14-50 outlet.
2. Unscrew existing outlet & take out wires.
3. Install baseplate of Tesla wall connector and thread existing wires you just unplugged through it.
4. Connect it to Tesla wall connector - Bare copper is ground which will go into Ground inlet and the rest two are Hot & Cold (usually Red & Black) which will go into other two respective inlets on wall connector.
5. Fix the faceplate, turn on power and perform initial setup by connecting wall connector to wi-fi.

Pretty simple DIY since the circuit & breaker should already be there. If you are not willing to do it, I'm sure any handyman can do it for about 100 bucks or less.

Tesla wall connector can draw upto 48A if car supports it (all new cars from Tesla do) if its on a dedicated 60A circuit. Avinash's situation might be slightly less optimal since he is on 50A circuit assuming thats what they did when they put in NEMA 14-50 connector.

Easiest solution for Avinash is to not do anything and use 14-50 adaptor with mobile connector. This will limit charge rate to that of mobile connector.

Slightly more complicated but still easy is to take out 14-50 as explained above and put wall connector in its place. It should support somewhere around 36-40A pull depending on BMS calibration.

Best solution but still cheaper than most such install for Avinash's case is to hire an electrician to switch out existing 50A breaker to 60A and then put wall connector in. This last option wont be too expensive in his case since wiring/conduit etc. is already there so its simple job for an electrician. Should probably cost less than 500 or so in labor charges as it wont take more than an hour of their time. Breaker cost is about $30 for industrial grade one or less than $15 for regular one from home depot. Rest is just labor charge since electrician will simply swap out existing breaker with new one and wire the wall connector by screwing in 3 wires. Most cost for install is around running the wires/creating conduits etc. which fortunately is not required for Avinash.
Awesome Info Naveen. I think this is brilliant information and there are so many options to go for charging the car.

However, I want to take it slow and steady and start with mobile connector see if the speeds are acceptable. And, only if its not acceptable will go the other route.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 01:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Best solution but still cheaper than most such install for Avinash's case is to hire an electrician to switch out existing 50A breaker to 60A and then put wall connector in.
The term NEMA 14-50 can be misleading. It only says the outlet can handle 50A. Everything depends on the breakers installed. In my house two 20A breakers were free, they were jumpered together to allow for 40A max. The car limits itself to drawing 32A based on this max 40A it is able to draw. If there are three 20A breakers free, its possible to draw 60A max. If the house is 15+ years old this is unlikely.

Quote:
Thanks. I see you have same car. Any pics of your charging set up in the garage? Would love to see how it looks.
Avinash,
Sure, I will send you a PM with the image. Is your home a 100A home or a newer 200A home with 50A free? If you have an older 100A home, please have an electrician explain what breakers are free and how he plans to jumper the breakers and achieve the 40A.

Also talk to him about peak usage. You dont want to deal with fires as a result of peak usage (AC at night, plus washer/dryer, refrigerator use while you are charging). Do not bank on manually eliminating simultaneous use.

Please get work that is ready for inspections and permits from the city, and comply to the city code. We live in houses made of paper and straw. If there is a fire, and the house/neighborhood burns down, you will go bankrupt, and judge can also garnish your future wages, if he proves that you were negligent. Even if you do not draw electric permits from the city, make sure it is ready to bring it up to code.

I have had Solar for 6 years, and my Model3 for 4.5 years now. Both needed electric permits from the city. I have spoken/referred lots of friends who get a NEMA 14-50 socket installed. One of them went his own semi DIY way, and had huge burns on his hands while he messed around the breaker. So, please take extra care, we dont deal with high voltage on a daily basis, the 110V sockets are harmless, but not these. You have a lot of time before Tesla delivers the car, you can get the outlet installed after decent amount of research.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 18th August 2022 at 01:18.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 02:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The term NEMA 14-50 can be misleading. It only says the outlet can handle 50A. Everything depends on the breakers installed. In my house two 20A breakers were free, they were jumpered together to allow for 40A max. The car limits itself to drawing 32A based on this max 40A it is able to draw. If there are three 20A breakers free, its possible to draw 60A max. If the house is 15+ years old this is unlikely.
Right, the entire premise of my post of going DIY route was because of an assumption that the outlet is on its own 50A circuit. For the most part it should be since its labeled as EV Charger by the builder.

Rest of your post is spot on, everything depends on how circuits are designed and connected in panel but for most newer houses, it should be 200A split by various breakers & sub-panels. Builder should not have shared the EV Charger circuit with other equipment in the house. If they did, using mobile charger or not, issues will still happen if car is charging and say dryer getting turned on at same time if both share the circuit. Breaker will still trip in that type of a case.

In such scenario, the circuits he currently has should not be upto code either since its not designed to handle peak draw of the outlet without being dependent upon other outlets on same circuit. City inspection/code etc. is required if sub-panel is getting altered as is the case with solar install or new installation of 60A breaker which I suggested as most ideal but expensive option. Thats what they are designed to do and ensure that breaker/outlets which are getting installed are upto code and wont cause fire.

Installing wall connector on same existing circuit is not altering fundamentals of the system design hence not required to be inspected. Its already at the code assuming the existing outlet is at code.

Last edited by lexusES350 : 18th August 2022 at 02:18.
lexusES350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 10:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:

Installing wall connector on same existing circuit is not altering fundamentals of the system design hence not required to be inspected. Its already at the code assuming the existing outlet is at code.
City of San Jose has a detailed pdf doc about EV charging stations, permits and inspections
https://www.sanjoseca.gov/your-gover...online-permits

Avinash,
Please look at regulations that apply to your city
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 12:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
If you lost 5.5% for 30,000 miles then if I do a linear math, it will lose 35% of battery capacity till 200,000 miles ( I doubt if any of us will own or drive till this number). This almost feels like we are talking not about a car but, about an iPhone. LOL!

When does Tesla recommends to change the whole battery pack which we may never do it in our ownership period? Also, I hear its expensive at $16,000

What is SoC?
Well, luckily the degradation is not linear. The initial degradation is faster and it slows down gradually. You can read about the degradation test of Bjorn Nyland's model 3 LR here.

AFAIK, Tesla does not have any recommendation when to change the battery. At the current rate of degradation we are seeing, 300k miles + is easily doable without compromising too much on range.

SoC is state of charge.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks