Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2022, 06:03   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Tiago EV vs other Petrol AT hatchbacks

As a second car in the house and as a city runabout, the Tiago EV makes for a great choice, but if you want a bigger SUV like car, why not consider the Renault Kiger RXT(O) CVT at 11.2 lakhs OTR Delhi or the Nissan Magnite XV Turbo CVT at 11 lakhs OTR Delhi, although not the best sellers in the segment and built to a cost, they are definitely VFM as regards engine, power, performance and features are concerned.

If you are OK with AMT and don't mind a base-spec SUV, the Tata Nexon XMA at 10.4 Lakhs OTR Delhi is a good choice as well.

If a non AMT hatchback is alright, you can't go wrong with the Hyundai i20 Sportz DCT or Sportz IVT, the DCT being the same one as used in the Venue, the car is adequately feature loaded and is a spacious car too. Tthe i20 Sportz IVT costs just 10.15 lakhs OTR Delhi whereas the i20 Sportz DCT costs 11 lakhs OTR Delhi.

Do test drive each one of them before taking a decision.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 11:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
Hi Team

I am on the lookout for a new car for my wife to replace her 9-year-old 61000kms run alto k10. This change is not because she has asked for it but because I have got bored of this car now

Present Scenario: I have a 2017 Creta 1.4 D(left with 5 yrs because of NCR Diesel Rule) for my personal use/family/highway use. Alto was used by the wife for her daily office commute and has never been used on a highway. I have booked a TIAGO MR XT EV. Here MR Stands for the Medium Range(Expected Actual Range around 125-150kms per charge) and shall cost me around 9,80,000 on road Delhi

Our requirement is for a small hatchback/compact SUV to be used again in city only
Budget 8-10 lakhs
Transmission: Automatic Preferred
Daily Run: At present, it is 36kms(18 on one side) to be driven in DELHI NCR Traffic
One things in favour of EVs in Delhi is, they are excluded from odd/even vehicle bans during winter due to pollution.
If its only for city run, and you already have multiple cars, ev makes sense along with giving better ride experience in traffic.
Also Delhi gives cheaper tarrif for EVs (5/unit)

Last edited by ritesh_44 : 13th October 2022 at 11:09. Reason: Trimmed post quote.
ritesh_44 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 18:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions team.

Yes, I have fixed parking where I can put a charger. However, if I decide to go ahead, I again have a few questions in mind

A)Is my decision to book an MR(Medium Range) ok? My thought process of booking an MR and not an LR(Long Range) primarily was
1)that this car's primary use is in City and not for the highway drives
2)The LR will cost me 90,000-100,000 more as compared to the similar MR variant. The extra cost again will take another 2-3 years to recover which will then take the beginning of cost saving period from initial 3-4 to around 6-7 years as per our running

B) What kind of niggles are expected from a Tata EV considering they are already experienced with Tigor and Nexon. I hope the niggles should be minor and not major, forcing me to regret this decision later.

Can you help to let me know some of the issues you faced

I think the MR should suit your use case perfectly. The niggles faced
- Some users had issues with AC (stopped working suddenly, not adequate cooling), this has been fixed by compressor replacement
- Most of us would hear a loud humming sound (cooling system) when charging or when the car door was opened. Tata replaced the PWM/ Pigtail and this has been solved
- As it is a quiet car - you will hear other mechanical sounds such as creaking from the suspension, seats any loose bolts or material etc.
- From experience most of us don't charge above 95% at Non-Tata Fast chargers (some users of Tigor and Nexon reported HV battery errors. This is due to a communication issue between car BMS and Charging station, especially ones that are 50kW and above type) - again Tata has been very quick to resolve issues faced by users

A point to note - and Kudos to Tata Motors for this - when the Tiago EV was launched a lot of the Tigor EV owners, including me, were not very happy as we missed some key features. One of them was the Puncture Kit that Tata is providing. The spare in the Tigor eats into the boot space because of the placement, however this Puncture Kit will help to replace the spare tyre in 95% use cases and we dont need to lug the tyre.
Tata has offered to send us these kits FREE!

Also servicing the car doesn't take more than 30 minutes as there are no fluids to change!

Last edited by torquecurve : 13th October 2022 at 18:16.
torquecurve is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 09:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:

Please suggest the best in this case
Your case is perfect for an EV, due to fix daily intra city running schedule (made even better if you can install a charger at home), however thinking purely from an economical point of view, the initial 1.5-2l additional spend on the Tiago EV (compared to its ICE counterpart) may take 4-5 years to be recovered as you've mentioned. However what you gain is a smooth drive experience ages ahead of any ICE car.
You don't seem to have test driven the tiago amt, you should try it.
I know others have derided an AMT suspension, however personally i don't think it's that bad, it's certainly smoother than a manual transmission vehicle which all of us have sat in for a majority of our lives.

Considering your wife is still ok with her Alto & assuming it's still running well (since you haven't mentioned any problems) why don't you let that car be & satisfy your itch by getting yourself a new ride & selling off your current Creta before it attains scrap value level.
superbad is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 09:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions team.

Yes, I have fixed parking where I can put a charger. However, if I decide to go ahead, I again have a few questions in mind

A)Is my decision to book an MR(Medium Range) ok? My thought process of booking an MR and not an LR(Long Range) primarily was
2)The LR will cost me 90,000-100,000 more as compared to the similar MR variant. The extra cost again will take another 2-3 years to recover which will then take the beginning of cost saving period from initial 3-4 to around 6-7 years as per our running

You should go for the long range one. You never know when it will come handy. I am saying this out of experience with my e2o in the past. Even if you have the ICE car for emergency purposes, the purpose of buying an EV is to have a city car and save on fuel expenses. For Metro Cities, more the range the better it is. You can always have that piece of mind when you have to travel a little extra distance for some unplanned trips. And may be even plan for some additional highway trips to near by places. Realistically you may expect 190 - 200 Kms for the Long range one. Above all 1L additional cost interms of EMI is totally negligible. I didn't get your math of taking another 2 - 3 years, recovering that additional 1L.

My logic is simple. Your current need may not justify buying a Long range one, but if it's coming at a fraction of cost interms of EMI and provides additional benefit, I will take it. Tomorrow when you need that extra benefit, you can't get it.
samabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 10:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think your use case is just perfect for an electric hatchback & you should pull the trigger:

- 9 years means time to replace your Alto, especially because of its basic nature.

- You have a larger car for highway runs. If it was the only car of the house, I'd tell you to stick to petrol power, but this new purchase will primarily be used in the city by your wife.

- Most of your alternatives are AMTs and I can tell you that AMTs are awful to live with. Jerky, with suspect long-term reliability. Of course, the Grand i10's AMT is smoother than the rest, yet it will never match the refined & seamless power delivery of an EV.

You will be an early adopter, so expect some niggles & issues. Although Tata is way ahead on the learning curve compared to other manufacturers, due to the sheer volumes of its EV division.

In terms of status, I would say that a green number-plate has more bragging rights than a Venue .
Thanks @RaSing for starting this thread. I am in almost same position with a 15 year old Santro AT which is used by my wife mostly in city. I avoid using it because of low FE of just 7-8kmpl in city traffic. I renewed the FC for 5 more years because the minimum I have to spend for a new AMT car is 6.8 Lakh. I too booked XT(MR) which OTR BLR is coming to 9.9L though I am still unsure whether to spend so much. However seeing the responses in the thread, more specifically the quoted response from GTO, I think it will be a good decision.

I just hope that TaMo will manage the high volumes with good quality and not repeat the Indica 1st Gen fiasco where customers had been beta testers.
They also need to add more service capacity. Hoping for the best.
mohan41 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 13:12   #22
BHPian

As described you, the car you are looking for will be your 2nd car. So please go on with EV. For city runs, there is no range anxiety at all. Add to that, very less maintenance cost, running cost & better driving pleasure.
It is a win-win situation for your family.
speedguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 13:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest go for the LR version.

See, while your current estimated usage (in km) is low, but it will definitely increase, given the low cost of running. Ask people who converted to CNG - most of them started driving far more given the lower cost per km.

In addition, given the 'range anxiety' we have now, it will give you more peace of mind & less anxious moments for about 7-10% extra upfront cost.
aashishnb is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 15:13   #24
BHPian

Yours is a good use case,
1. You already have a car for highway runs
2. This car is limited to city usage and well within the range
3. Medium Range will be more than sufficient
4. Running is not too low to completely rule out EVs

If I were you,
I'd buy Tiago EV if I were spending anything more than 8L on a petrol counterpart as it beats the purpose.

Between grand i10 AMT and Tiago EV, again Tiago EV as grand i10 is anyways costing you 8.5L, difference can easily be recovered in 1.5-2 years.

Between Tiago AMT and Tiago EV, I'd pick Tiago AMT, it's a good 2L difference and jerkiness of AMT is something I can live with.
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 15:20   #25
BHPian

Given your running and location, I'd recommend EV strongly. Delhi has come up with a lot of fast charging options, courtesy the 'Switch Delhi' programme with more on the way. Petrol and diesel options are expensive. Since you already have a diesel Creta, the EV makes perfect use case.
mugen_pinaki27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 17:07   #26
BHPian

Given your use case, I think the Tiago EV makes perfect sense. Heck, even I am considering it as a replacement for my 11 years old Chevy Beat that has already done over 1 lakh kms and is now used as the beater car. If I do get the Tiago ev, it will not only replace the Beat, but also replace the Vista for all city runs (approx 400 kms a week on avg) and as I will be charging at home I expect that I'll be saving about 8k per month in fuel cost to begin with (the savings are only likely to increase considering how fuel prices keep rising) which means that I'll recover the premium paid over the corresponding ICE model in about 2 years, if not less.

Just go for it - it's a tried and tested model with tried and tested technology that Tata has perfected over the last few years with the Nexon and Tigor EVs. Do ensure that you do a thorough PDI, though. Tata cars are abuse friendly, durable, reliable and cheap to maintain (speaking as an owner of 2) but in the past attention to detail in fit and finish was a major weakness. Hope that's no longer the case, but better to be safe than sorry.
Neversaygbye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 20:55   #27
BHPian

Few points in favour of EV:
  1. Resale value - If we see trends in other countries, EVs have a better resale value. For some premium vehicles its more than the price of a new vehicle as the wait period is lesser. With supply shortage of EV parts (batteries and chips), it will take some time for this situation to improve.
  2. While considering the break-even point, do consider that the petrol price will increase in future. OPEC and other associated countries have recently reduced the oil production by the most significant amount till date and it will not help in resolving the energy crisis.
  3. If the job location is fixed (permanent job), then why add the extra weight of a heavier battery with a longer range when there is another vehicle for emergency use and long drives? The smaller battery should suffice for the daily use planned.
  4. If you have the space, add a roof top solar power plant. Its a future proof investment and will also help to charge for free while at home. (The break-even point for solar is quite significant, but is worth the investment).
  5. As mentioned in earlier replies, its not that the battery will die at 8 years when warranty expires.
  6. Range anxiety - As the time passes, more and more AC chargers/DC fast charging points will come up. And if needed, work place charging can also be done if facilities are available. Though it was well before my time, the owners of early fossil fuel vehicles would have had range anxiety too as pumps would be far off. But as time passed, pumps have increased in number. Similarly as the time passes, EV charging stations (both slow and DC fast) will increase in number.
Old 15th October 2022, 07:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Actual saving may start only around 4th or 5th year
- Range Anxiety

1)i am still undecided whether a Tiago EV in our case is a good decision considering the past and present running average which is around 6800kms a year. A similar spec(+2/3 features) petrol car like a grand i10 Sportz AMT or a Tiago XZA+ AMT, costs me around 8.5 on road and a XTA AMT is 7.6.

5) Any particular problem to with an EV other than range anxiety?
I am still against use of the EVs unless one plans to use them only for the first three years. Major reason being the battery is extremely suspect to long term durability. If you think a new Tiago EV will have a realistic range of 150 kms, what range would a 20 K driven 2 year old Tiago EV have ? Just like our phones and many other electronic devices won't the battery decline overtime reducing the range further ? I am sure you are also aware of the battery replacement costs in such situations which would be quite hefty.

Also do note while calculating difference in costs, make sure you also calculate if the differential amount was invested somewhere what returns would you get in 4-5 years time ?(supposed breakeven point of EVs).

My suggestion therefore remains to go for a petrol car. I have a Sonet IMT HTX and found the suspension to be perfect for city and highways alike. The gearshift is pinky finger light and the steering also has good feedback. Do test drive the IMT cars once before you make the decision. Happy shopping!

Last edited by 07CR : 15th October 2022 at 07:13.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 07:43   #29
BHPian

My sensitive nose has already started sensing the rise in pollution in Delhi, as the early signs of winter ane knocking the door (and my nose and lungs). Yes one less ICE would definitely help the cause.

Above apart, somehow, I dont like to do a breakeven analysis to the point of death, but when I think about comparing the driving experience of an EV, I feel that the smooth gearless ride with no engine sounds is definitely a pleasant idea.

EVs appears to be a very democratic idea, as low engine NHV, that was a privilege for higher end cars in now available across all kinds of EVs.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 15th October 2022 at 07:46.
ajayc123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 07:47   #30
BHPian

First thing. There is no such thing as "status". Just get whatever vehicle fits your requirements and for primary city usage the Tiago EV would be perfect. Less maintenance, less running cost will overall turn out to be cheaper in the long run. And, you don't need to worry about doing those pollution certificates or about how long you can keep it.

If you want that additional range for peace of mind, I would say get it. You will get more features and can be used for short weekend rides as well.

Congratulations in advance
Silent Buddha is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks