Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2022, 03:15   #16
BHPian

re: Rosso Diablo | 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance (M3P) | 15,000 miles in 17 months | Ownership Report

Quote:
Thank you. Indeed I am blessed to live around PNW. This place is god’s gift to mankind from a natural beauty perspective.
Certainly it is, PNW is very beautiful and I'm in awe of it each time I see pictures from that area. My short trip there back in 2010 was wonderful experience and looking forward to visiting it again soon. I had plans to visit in Mid December but looks like I'll have to cancel it due to some other commitments.

Quote:

You seem to be driving gently if you are getting 300miles to a charge. Mine is hovering around 250-260 miles to a charge.

I started out with “Chill” mode then when I switch on “Sports” mode. There is no way this car should be driven in Chill, Sports is the only way to use this car and that impacts the range quite a bit. But, I am not concerned about range as I didn’t buy it for range but, for it’s performance.
I dont get 300 miles to a charge, I mean the efficiency in the Trips menu or app in the car is shown as 300wh/mile. Meaning it consumes 300 watt hour of energy to go 1 mile. This is apparently average for MYP based on my research. M3P should be around 270wh/mile with slightly aggressive driving.

For fun, lets assume 80KWH battery pack for MYP, with 300 wh/mile we can at most get approximately 260 miles of range with battery charged at 100% and going down to 0%.

Quote:
Well, here is the proof that my county is darn cheap. It ranges between $0.08 USD- $0.12 USD and I make sure to plug it in after 10:00pm so I get the lower rate.

Attachment 2382806

When are you moving here? Should I start looking for a home for you?
It certainly look like you are living in EV owner's paradise. Wish I could move there and stop paying CA premium for everything including driving EVs.

Quote:
How do you sign up for an EV plan with your utility company? Is there way to reduce overheads even more?
Your utility provider may have such plans, just call up their customer service or look up your consumer portal page to see if you can switch your rate plans. However, now I think because rates are so cheap they may not even have special EV incentives. However, it wont hurt to check once...at most you would waste few min. talking with customer service rep.

Quote:
Another point, I was away from home for almost 2 weeks ( 12 days precisely) and charged the car to 90% before I went on my trip. When I came back, it just lost 3% charge which is phenomenal.

Will continue to update the thread as I learn more. Owning a Tesla is like going through an exam prep, I discover something new every day.
At home car is mostly sleeping/dormant as by default it turns off Sentry mode while parking at location set as HOME unless overridden. Generally Sentry & battery conditioning is what will lose energy. 3-5% loss over 12 day period is amazing....I'm very happy to hear that. I may have to park my car in garage when I go to India in next few months so I wont fear about it anymore.

Last edited by lexusES350 : 23rd November 2022 at 03:17.
lexusES350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 06:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Rosso Diablo | 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance (M3P) | 15,000 miles in 17 months | Ownership Report

Congratulations on your new Tesla. EVs in general and Teslas in particular have come a long way to beat mainstream ICE cars in every single parameter.
Wishing you many miles of happy ownership.

Tesla model Y is on my wishlist whenever it launches in India along with upcoming MB EQB for my next upgrade from ZS EV.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 07:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Congratulations on your new Tesla. EVs in general and Teslas in particular have come a long way to beat mainstream ICE cars in every single parameter.
Wishing you many miles of happy ownership.
Thanks. I agree with you. EV's have indeed come a long way.

I had driven some hybrids in the past like Prius, Leaf etc and used to be appalled at the way they used to drive and thought Hybrids/EV's will never take off.

But, Tesla has changed the EV world completely and has leaped frogged so ahead in this game, it will take even the big manafacturers a long time to play catch-up with them.

Quote:
Tesla model Y is on my wishlist whenever it launches in India along with upcoming MB EQB for my next upgrade from ZS EV.
Model Y is the most popular one right now in Tesla's stable. But, I doubt if it will ever come to India (I think Tesla made some plans and didn't get the govt support and backed out of the plans). Isn't it?

Btw, what's a ZS EV? Do you own that?
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 08:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Model Y is the most popular one right now in Tesla's stable. But, I doubt if it will ever come to India (I think Tesla made some plans and didn't get the govt support and backed out of the plans). Isn't it?
True, but I have heard from very reliable sources that Tesla will make debut in Indian markets sooner than later. Model Y is considered even at higher prices for it's practicality

Quote:
Btw, what's a ZS EV? Do you own that?
Yes, this is the MG motors' offering in Indian market.
Old 23rd November 2022, 09:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Car Name- Our overactive Hyderabad Team BHP group which generates over 1000 messages each day was on fire when I requested some suggestions for name.
Congratulations on your new Tesla. The red looks really raging. Nice choice.

Off topic - Any idea how to be part of the Hyderabad TBHP group ? I shifted from Bengaluru to Hyderabad few months ago & been looking for the Hyderabad's TBHP WhatsApp or Telegram group.
RaviKBobba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 19:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Car Name- Our overactive Hyderabad Team BHP group which generates over 1000 messages each day was on fire when I requested some suggestions for name. BHP'ian Himanshugoswami won the coveted trophy (need to give him a nice treat when I am in Delhi next) by suggesting this beautiful name “Rosso Diablo” which means "Red Devil" as the Tesla accelerates like the devil’s got into it.
Hi, wishing you many happy and joyful miles on the "Rosso Diablo"
The tesla does look menacing

Can you please tell me how to be a part of the Hyderabad group?
Looking forward to being a part of it!
the_bat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 22:32   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusES350 View Post

I dont get 300 miles to a charge, I mean the efficiency in the Trips menu or app in the car is shown as 300wh/mile. Meaning it consumes 300 watt hour of energy to go 1 mile. This is apparently average for MYP based on my research. M3P should be around 270wh/mile with slightly aggressive driving.

For fun, lets assume 80KWH battery pack for MYP, with 300 wh/mile we can at most get approximately 260 miles of range with battery charged at 100% and going down to 0%.
Interesting information Naveen. I am still not fully onboarded with this KWH and Energy type of calculations.

Can you please rephrase above in a more simplistic mind so a simpleton like me can understand?

Quote:
True, but I have heard from very reliable sources that Tesla will make debut in Indian markets sooner than later. Model Y is considered even at higher prices for it's practicality
Wonderful to know. Model Y will be a super hit in India if it's launched.

What do you think will it be priced at in India market? Your guesstimate?

Quote:
Yes, this is the MG motors' offering in Indian market.
Nice. I never heard of this car. Do you have an ownership report of it on forum? If yes, please share link. Will check it out soon.

In summary, what do you think would be the key differences between a Tesla and an MG EV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviKBobba View Post
Congratulations on your new Tesla. The red looks really raging. Nice choice.

Off topic - Any idea how to be part of the Hyderabad TBHP group ? I shifted from Bengaluru to Hyderabad few months ago & been looking for the Hyderabad's TBHP WhatsApp or Telegram group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bat View Post
Hi, wishing you many happy and joyful miles on the "Rosso Diablo"
The tesla does look menacing

Can you please tell me how to be a part of the Hyderabad group?
Looking forward to being a part of it!
Thanks Ravi & The_Bat for your nice wishes.

Team BHP Hyderabad group is our original group formed in 2008 where we did more than 200 Team Drive/Lunch/Theme meets over a decade. At one point in time, Hyderabad was the most rocking city in entire India for Team-BHP meets.

And, this 35-40 odd BHPians over this period have become thick friends (some even like family) and even till date, we are super active and generate >1000 messages per day talking about everything under the sun (including cars..lol!)

If you search for Team BHP meets in the Meets section, you will see tons of threads of the glorious meets that I organized over the last decade.

And, ever since I moved out of Hyderabad the meets have died down as nobody wants to lead/initiate or organize meets anymore. Sad but, true

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd November 2022 at 22:34.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 23:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting information Naveen. I am still not fully onboarded with this KWH and Energy type of calculations.

Can you please rephrase above in a more simplistic mind so a simpleton like me can understand?
Simple analogy EV -> ICE.
Kwh -> litre
Wh -> millilitres
Km/kwh or mile/kwh -> kmpl or mpl(or US lang mpg)
Wh/km or wh/mile -> millilitres/km or millilitres/mile

Ex: 300wh/mile is similar as saying 100ml/mile, in case of EVs usually wh/mile(or km) is used to know efficiency.

ml/km is not used for ICE cars where kmpl or mpg is used for effeciency.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 23rd November 2022 at 23:42.
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 00:17   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Simple analogy EV -> ICE.

ml/km is not used for ICE cars where kmpl or mpg is used for effeciency.
This makes it really simple to understand. Thanks for that analogy.

Being a non-techie these analogies and conversions will take some time to sink as my mind still thinks in liters/miles etc when doing math when I try to understand the conversion of energy consumed for the miles covered.

I reckon, it will come with some consistent practice of reading this language.
Old 24th November 2022, 05:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Other post from fellow BHPian (SKC) already explained it much better than I could ever do, I’ll not reattempt it.

However I’ll provide bit of clarification on what I was trying to say.

By most estimates MY and M3 LR/P’s (non LFP) battery pack is 80KWH. Meaning 80,000 wh of energy can be stored in it if charged to 100%.

So if car’s efficiency is 300wh/mile, we can extract

80,000 WH/ 300 = 266.66 miles. of real world range.

Also, if the electric rate is 0.25c/Kwh, 80KW battery pack will cost 80 x 0.25c = $20.00 to fully charge. In other words, it would cost $20.00 to go 266 miles.

In gas car with gas at $4.50/gallon and 25 MPG efficiency, it will take 10.64 gallons to go same distance and cost $47.88.

Cheaper than gas car for sure but not extraordinarily cheap for us CA folks. For you, math works much better than this.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by lexusES350 : 24th November 2022 at 05:57.
lexusES350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 05:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi mobike008,
Congratulations on the Model 3 Performance and having a garage with around ~1000 HP. Waiting to see what's in the pipeline (perhaps a superbike?) to have the 1000 kW garage.

I've followed your BMW X3M40i thread. Curious - what mods have you planned for the M3P?

Wish you a happy and safe ownership.

Cheers
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 17:43   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: “Rosso Diablo”- 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance (M3P) enters our life...

Many congratulations! She is a beauty!

Quote:
Tesla Fun Facts
I guess things like these are part of the appeal of a Tesla. The ever evolving feature list keeps that excitement going, and one eagerly waits for the next update to see what’s new. A far cry from the regular car ownership which needs DIY tweaks to install or enable new features.

Quote:
I think I'm done with buying cars for life as I can now enjoy best of both worlds-ICE + EV.[/i]
I sincerely doubt that. If not the ICE car, you have got a whole lot of exciting EVs to upgrade to!

PS: Honestly, I couldn’t distinguish between the DSLR or the iPhone photos.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 01:10   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusES350 View Post
In gas car with gas at $4.50/gallon and 25 MPG efficiency, it will take 10.64 gallons to go same distance and cost $47.88.

Cheaper than gas car for sure but not extraordinarily cheap for us CA folks. For you, math works much better than this.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Naveen. You made it even more lucid.

Yeah, blessed to be living in a cheaper electricity charge area so the savings are doubled up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hi mobike008,
Congratulations on the Model 3 Performance and having a garage with around ~1000 HP. Waiting to see what's in the pipeline (perhaps a superbike?) to have the 1000 kW garage.

I've followed your BMW X3M40i thread. Curious - what mods have you planned for the M3P?

Wish you a happy and safe ownership.

Cheers
Thanks buddy for your wishes. As you may know, I was a biker all my life and owned some lovely motorcycles.

However, ever since I moved to USA, I lost interest in motorcycles but, I still enjoy the “almost same feeling of bikes via. my "White Lightening”.

Not sure if you read that ownership report?

Here it is : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...ml#post5390836 (My Priority Current e-BIKE a.k.a White Lightening Review | A journey to a Fit Life!)

Whenever I plan to get a motorcycle, It will be only one bike.

The mighty BMW GS1250

Let’s see when that happens.

With regards to mods, the Tesla M3P is already a track tool and drives like BMW M sedans.

Well, it can be further bettered by adding a sway bar, smaller wheels and better tires. It will not happen anytime soon as for road use, it's already plenty fast and handles like a dream.

Check this video out of how a modded Tesla M3P destroys supercars on the “Ring”

Awesome video :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Many congratulations! She is a beauty!
Thanks so much for your lovely wishes.

Quote:
I guess things like these are part of the appeal of a Tesla. The ever evolving feature list keeps that excitement going, and one eagerly waits for the next update to see what’s new. A far cry from the regular car ownership which needs DIY tweaks to install or enable new features.
Spot on. With a Tesla, you can never be bored. Like I mentioned, it’s like a toy for us car lovers with so many fun stuff and improvements happening regularly.

Other major EV makers are at least half a decade behind Tesla from an overall technology and autopilot perspective.

Quote:
I sincerely doubt that. If not the ICE car, you have got a whole lot of exciting EVs to upgrade to!
When you drive a Tesla, the only upgrade you will consider is another Tesla.

Quote:
PS: Honestly, I couldn’t distinguish between the DSLR or the iPhone photos.
Haha! Thanks. Yup, the 13 Promax is as good as a DSLR but, still the DSLR pics can be distinguished from the cellphone ones, as it's processed to some extent.

Here is the a comparison :

iPhone 13 Promax

Rosso Diablo | 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance (M3P) | 15,000 miles in 17 months | Ownership Report-fullsizerender-6.jpg

iPhone 13 Promax

Rosso Diablo | 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance (M3P) | 15,000 miles in 17 months | Ownership Report-fullsizerender-5.jpg

Canon DLSR with some post processing

Rosso Diablo | 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance (M3P) | 15,000 miles in 17 months | Ownership Report-_abs9824-large.jpeg

Canon DSLR with some post processing

Rosso Diablo | 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance (M3P) | 15,000 miles in 17 months | Ownership Report-_abs9907-large.jpeg
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 04:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
A word of thanks..

This is how our "Dream Garage with ~ 1000 horsepower" looks like. I think I'm done with buying cars for life as I can now enjoy best of both worlds-ICE + EV.
Amazing detail - thoroughly enjoyed the read.

On the Carplay/Android Auto argument, I think Tesla has planted their flag and will never include those features. I believe the philosophy is that those features are a crutch as all other carmakers have essentially useless infotainment systems with odd navigation & music integration.

I think the big miss for a lot of folks is Apple Music but rumour has it that it's coming in the holiday update around Christmas this year.

Personally didn't miss Android Auto when I've rented through Hertz. The maps are Google & Spotify worked seamlessly.
carmayogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 22:15   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmayogi View Post
Amazing detail - thoroughly enjoyed the read.
Thank you. Nice to know you enjoyed the read.

Quote:
On the Carplay/Android Auto argument, I think Tesla has planted their flag and will never include those features. I believe the philosophy is that those features are a crutch as all other carmakers have essentially useless infotainment systems with odd navigation & music integration.
I guess you are right. Believe you me, this may be surprising to many. I find Apple Maps better in US than Google Maps as I love the clean UI, Street Lights Display and overall feel is so much better than google. Only thing that Apple Maps don't do better is live traffic which needs tons of improvement.

Also, I am a huge Apple Music fan (more so after Lossless/Spatial Audio) and I miss that integration.

But, as you rightly said, Apple Music and more importantly DOLBY ATMOS is coming to Tesla and here is the link :

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/11/24...to-tesla-cars/

Tesla stock music system is already in a different level and with addition of Dolby Atmos, it will become a Pink Floyd Live Stage on Wheels.

Quote:
think the big miss for a lot of folks is Apple Music but rumour has it that it's coming in the holiday update around Christmas this year.
Yes, there are already screenshots of Apple Music app integrated to Tesla Infotainment floating around the internet..

I hope we Tesla owners get a Christmas gift of Apple Music + Dolby Atmos.

Quote:
Personally didn't miss Android Auto when I've rented through Hertz. The maps are Google & Spotify worked seamlessly.
I personally have no interest in anything Android. So, It doesn't matter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks