Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2022, 21:33   #1
BHPian

Every electric pole could become a charging point

Last week I noticed a fancy-looking box on an electric pole with KSEB (Kerala State Electricity Board) branding. While I wondered what it was, I took a closer look today and realized it was a 15 A electric vehicle charger made by ChargeMod.

Every electric pole could become a charging point-1.jpg
Every electric pole could become a charging point-2.jpg
Every electric pole could become a charging point-3.jpg
Every electric pole could become a charging point-4.jpg

Being a slow charger, I think it would be useful only for two-wheelers owned by people/shopkeepers in the vicinity but I think this approach holds potential. The setup cost must be low for this and many electric poles could become charging points! To avoid overload issues, some planning may become necessary though.
gischethans is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 00:57   #2
BHPian

Re: Every electric pole could become a charging point

Good initiative for sure.
As you say its really only fit for charging 2 wheelers of nearby store owners or 4W of residents who stay close by.

Off-topic question, the machine is by Kerala Electricity board but the name boards of the shops infront are only in Kannada and English, no malayalam on them.

Which place is this? Kasargod maybe?
TheRandomGuy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 05:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

Good idea but how practical?

Setting up an infrastructure like this for a 15 Amp plug / 3,6 kw per hour maximum x 12 ( average use case scenario) x Rs 12 per Kw = Rs 520 per revenue day.

And the space it will block on a public road or, in the case of a local street, who gets the first right as the poles are less and there will be more houses.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th November 2022 at 08:05. Reason: Minor correction.
Turbanator is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 06:18   #4
BHPian

Good initiative. They don't have to use every pole. A pole per street should do. Space for parking vehicles would be the problem I think.
Old 28th November 2022, 08:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomGuy View Post
Which place is this? Kasargod maybe?
You are right! It is in Kasaragod District - at Sunkadakatte, on Manjeshwara - Subrahmanya road.
gischethans is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 08:09   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gischethans View Post
Being a slow charger, I think it would be useful only for two-wheelers owned by people/shopkeepers in the vicinity but I think this approach holds potential.
It's perfect for overnight charging though, and that's really the best way to charge an EV used in the city. Overnight charging on a 15A socket gives one ample range for commuting, so much so that one doesn't even need to do it every night. It's also the cheapest way to charge & the best for long-term battery health.

Considering that 90% of India parks on the street, this is an idea whose time has come. The authorities should install chargers on poles, especially light poles which are omnipresent in India.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 09:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Every electric pole could become a charging point
This maybe an one off electric pole with a EV. The title cannot and should not happen.

5 years back when we built the present house we live. The municipality (40 km outside Madras) did mandate a car parking per unit.

If the Electricity Board thinks this way, it is a government sponsored public nuisance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Considering that 90% of India parks on the street, this is an idea whose time has come. The authorities should install chargers on poles, especially light poles which are omnipresent in India.
Its already a pain to navigate 30 feet streets in daytime. I prefer navigating such places in night time and early morning. Imagine how it would look in 10-12 feet streets.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 09:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
This maybe an one off electric pole with a EV. The title cannot and should not happen.
It is not one-off installation, I saw few in my city (luckily none on narrow city roads). I remember seeing first one couple of years back. Very useful for E-two wheelers.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 09:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Considering that 90% of India parks on the street
Don't agree, atleast the places where I can think of, majority of the cars are parked at the basement parking. There are friends who used to stay at rented houses with no parking facilities, they all moved to rented apartments with parking spaces just to buy a new car. I will go as far as saying 80% of cars are parked off street.

I agree, installing a charger at apartments is another issue, but govt making changes to building codes and RWAs now cannot oppose any resident from installing chargers.
Old 28th November 2022, 09:58   #10
BHPian

Every electric pole could become a charging point, yes, with or without payment. Something like this :

Name:  PowerTheft.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  20.7 KB

Our country already has a dubious reputation when it comes to power theft. Unless some teeth is given to Electricity department, the future is grim. All you need is a pole with a hook and a connection to the ground.
srini1785 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 15:26   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Every electric pole could become a charging point, yes, with or without payment. Something like this :

Attachment 2384605

Our country already has a dubious reputation when it comes to power theft. Unless some teeth is given to Electricity department, the future is grim. All you need is a pole with a hook and a connection to the ground.
This charger is nothing but a smart socket which works on a paid app.
Nothing stopping a person to park near the charger and steal power from chargers input wire vs connecting to the chargers output.

This will also cause the streets to become narrower, due to cars parked at every street pole, even with streets that have houses with parking.
aim120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 01:13   #12
BHPian

Here is a video by KSEB on these pole mounted charging points.

dileepcm is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 07:12   #13

It is a good idea. Need a lot of improvement and brainstorming though. Infrastructure for EV in India is a big concern, which need to be addressed with best possible solution.

1) The chances of theft
2) The probability of misusing
3) Parking problems in narrow roads
4) The condition of poles. (The pole should not fall on to the car)
5) Who will install and integrate in a massive way? A start-up or probably government?

Besides all these, I feel all state government may individually distribute flexible (wire based?) socket to every household meter holder and mandate commercial places to own a charging point. This will help people to move towards EV, especially in the two-wheeler segment in a large way.
TeaPot1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 08:01   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been seeing this for the past 5-6 months and I was more surprised seeing the frequency of this charging points. I can count atleast 6-7 such charging points in a 3km radius.

Though many are in junctions or near government offices, many are located in places which are mostly used by people to dump wastes or overnight parking of lorries. Feels like these are just sitting ducks to be vandalised, but all seem to be okay for now. Have seen only 2w and 3w symbols so far. Specific car charging stations will be mostly in one petrol pumps or the nearby KSEB offices.
Attached Thumbnails
Every electric pole could become a charging point-img_20220904_191856_mp.jpg  

Every electric pole could become a charging point-img_20220904_191918_mp.jpg  

DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 12:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gischethans View Post
Last week I noticed a fancy-looking box on an electric pole with KSEB (Kerala State Electricity Board) branding. While I wondered what it was, I took a closer look today and realized it was a 15 A electric vehicle charger made by ChargeMod.
I have been to Kerala for a vacation in the month of October and have observed a few of them on the road. The most I have seen were on the Munnar - Thekkady route where these electric pole mounted box chargers were installed in and around the village entry/exit etc.
vinaydatla is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks