Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2023, 20:06   #46
BHPian

re: 5-month old Tata Tigor EV breaks down for the 2nd time in 3 days | Battery changed; issue resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepkc View Post
I would also recommend doing a range test a few times to notice if there's been a change since the replacement.

Seems like VW's ID4 had a similar issue
https://insideevs.com/news/651386/vw...ulse-inverter/
I was waiting for the car to complete 1000 kms before I declare it trouble free and the issue fixed ( done 700 kms to date).

What you mentioned is spot on. Now the range has dropped considerably and it only does 150 kms between 100 to 20 % charge. ( Ac on 70% of the time). Before it easily use to do 180+ in the same situation. On the flip side ac cooling is stronger than before ( though i never had any cooling issues in the initial setup).

Will be taking my car for 7500 kms service ( includes transmission oil change) and raise this issue then.

Will keep you all posted.
Nanolover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 20:00   #47
BHPian

re: 5-month old Tata Tigor EV breaks down for the 2nd time in 3 days | Battery changed; issue resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Now the range has dropped considerably and it only does 150 kms between 100 to 20 % charge. ( Ac on 70% of the time). Before it easily use to do 180+ in the same situation.
It's just a hunch, I would also recommend doing some hard acceleration to see if the issue comes up again. Please do this only if you can, otherwise don't stress about it. And if possible, I would recommend charging the car to 100%, disconnect from the charger and let it sit idle for a week to see the rate of self discharge. Please document all this. All this is to determine if one of the cells is self discharging faster than the rest of the cells. LFP is slightly more susceptible to this than NMC and it usually takes about 50 cycles or more of charge/discharge to notice this.
Old 22nd February 2023, 11:24   #48
BHPian

[ UPDATE: ENTIRE HV BATTERY PACK REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY ]

Dear members,

Thanks for all your support during my Tigor EV breakdown and mending phase.

Was waiting to give an update post 2nd service last week. When I went for service ( transaxle oil change is there ), to my surprise, the entire HV battery pack was ordered and replaced under warranty ! The charging gun was also replaced. Seems TATA has proactively replaced it as a goodwill gesture and obviously due to visibility on our forum !

Got the car back yesterday ( TAT 2 days) . Since we cover approx. 60 kms everyday, will keep you and the forum posted on how things go from here.

Attaching the service receipt for reference.

@mods- request you to update the thread title.
Attached Thumbnails
5-month old Tata Tigor EV breaks down for the 2nd time in 3 days | Battery changed; issue resolved-tigorev_battery.jpg  

Nanolover is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 12:00   #49
BHPian

Quote:

When I went for service ( transaxle oil change is there ), to my surprise, the entire HV battery pack was ordered and replaced under warranty ! The charging gun was also replaced. Seems TATA has proactively replaced it as a goodwill gesture and obviously due to visibility on our forum !
There's a HV Cable worth 25K that's replaced, but where's the battery itself? I only see serial number 5 in your bill that's related to the battery, but that seems to be the labour for replacing the battery?
Old 22nd February 2023, 12:06   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
There's a HV Cable worth 25K that's replaced, but where's the battery itself? I only see serial number 5 in your bill that's related to the battery, but that seems to be the labour for replacing the battery?
Battery was replaced but they had not mentioned the unit price rate in their service . Being kerala, in the next page of service bill there was 1200 rupees for battery unloading charges also!
Nanolover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 12:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post
It is really sad to see that the OP had to face this. I hope he gets a resolution soon on this. This is the reason why I strongly condemn Indian and Chinese brands to the core. There is absolutely no consistency in their quality. The QC is very shabby. I mean this EV is still a new platform, I'm sure in the years to come, there will be issues of longevity of batteries, short recharge cycles, batteries going dead sooner than their Western and Japanese counterparts, etc.

The problem with Indian brands is their lack of attention to detail, the insensitive attitude, and the lack of will to go the extra mile and invest in good R&D. If they can earn profits with a bare minimum investment, they're ready to sell lemons to the public who invest in the brand thinking that they're buying a well researched product.

Indian and Chinese brands are cheaper than competition for a reason. I'm strongly against you get what you pay for philosophy but yes in case of Indian, Chinese and to a large extent, Korean brands, I do say you get what you pay for. I've noticed a lot of cost cutting and cheaping out in essential areas by these manufacturers and would never recommend them to anyone. German and Japanese Vehicles may be over priced but still they would not be cutting corners in essential areas. The consistency will be there and so will be the QC.
Let's not simply generalize and bash up Indian brands. Let's not forget that more than 80% of the trucks/transport and other vehicles are Indian brands (TATA, Ashok Leyland & Mahindra) that form the lifeline of the country's transport system. If they were so bad, they would have been out of the market long time ago. There are lemons in every company and there are German/Japanese and Korean brands that have serious quality issues. Just look at the thread on Slavia.

The OP has an issue here and that is a genuine one. The tech itself is new and there will be issues. Show me one brand here that does not have any quality issues that were reported. I own the XUV3OO and trust me, the experience has not been any lower than owning the Maruti brand. The engine is just awesome and the overall engineering is top notch. It's an Indian brand and I am a proud owner. Each brand has a shortcoming and TATA has it's. Let's watch the thread closely, TATA will surely come back with a resolution. Since we tend to brush off a brand just by looking at how the dealer is behaving, TATA needs to be more careful in selecting it's dealers and work on training staff. There is loud feedback out there and every company has to learn from it. This forum has a good reach and am sure there will be a positive resolution to the problem.
Raghu M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 13:45   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Let's not simply generalize and bash up Indian brands. Let's not forget that more than 80% of the trucks/transport and other vehicles are Indian brands (TATA, Ashok Leyland & Mahindra) that form the lifeline of the country's transport system. If they were so bad, they would have been out of the market long time ago.
I'm just stating the facts. I've visited the factories so I know the level of quality differences between Indian and Japanese brands. The paint quality itself is the biggest giveaway and that's visible on the outside, you can now imagine what all goes on on the inside. Drove them all, don't even want to touch them again. The refinement, handling and quality of materials is pathetic.

As for the 80% trucks/transport being Indian, that's because they're cheap (Both price and quality wise btw) NOT because they're the best. Also, India doesn't get those Japanese/European Highway Haulers that grace the foreign highways running at triple digit speeds, there's simply no demand! That shouldn't even have been brought up mate, it's so obvious. Why would an Indian businessman spend more money on Imported trucks when all he needs his stuff transported from point A to point B, especially when majority in this country come from a mindset of "Deti kitna hai". Not to mention the frustration these Indian trucks cause running at a speed of 10 km/h overtaking another one running at 8 km/h .

I work in an organization where all transport trucks are by Ashok Leyland and Tata and they're sloppy, slow, uncomfortable, lack the driving dynamics, pollute like hell, lack the pulling power uphill or when loaded and are simply junk running on wheels. We also have a few Tatra trucks (Czech) - Now that's a whole another level. Can pull payloads twice its size or probably even more and they're in service since 80s and 90s and still run like new. That's European quality for you. But if you still think they're not "that bad", then I guess it really doesn't matter what I just said here.

Quote:
There are lemons in every company and there are German/Japanese and Korean brands that have serious quality issues. Just look at the thread on Slavia.
Wrong example mate. Read this - "The Škoda Slavia is a subcompact sedan (B-segment) manufactured by Škoda primarily for the Indian market."

Makes sense now?

Whenever automakers are developing/manufacturing something for India or developing nations, they will only offer whatever best they can while still being competitive. The tech and attention to detail will still be way ahead of all these Indian automakers and so will be the quality of materials being used. However, if you expect the kind of quality you see in an Octavia (Worldwide market) then you gotta shell out the money for buying quality that comes out of a long time R&D and R&D costs millions of dollars. Quality comes at a price.

Quote:
The tech itself is new and there will be issues.
I disagree. That's a very wrong mindset mate, you're the one contributing to their profits, these brands thrive making millions because we people pay; you're not supposed to accept faults arising out of their lack of proper R&D. If the tech is new and there are issues, they better iron them out before launching them in the market without cheaping out on the R&D and treating end consumers as guinea pigs.

Quote:
I own the XUV3OO and trust me, the experience has not been any lower than owning the Maruti brand. The engine is just awesome and the overall engineering is top notch. It's an Indian brand and I am a proud owner.
Well, if you find the engine of a Mahindra to be "awesome" and overall engineering to be "top notch" then I guess Japanese and German vehicles will seem supernatural to you. I happened to drive XUV 700, Thar and Harrier for quite sometime in the last couple of months and also because they were really hyped in the last coupe of years, so I wanted to see what it was all about. Sorry to say, I just can't relate to those words you said about them, no offense.

The ergonomics are screwed, seating position is way off, the buttons feel cheap, gear shifters are mushy and don't 'slot' easily, pedals lack the right tension, brakes throw you forward since there is no linear travel, body roll is the USP here, I can't even think of taking a high speed turn without rolling over and these vehicles bounce like a pogo stick, suspension setup is quite bad, steering wheels lack feedback, plastics feel very cheap all around, engines lack refinement and keep revving high while still making no satisfactory power for SUVs of these sizes and you keep thinking what's wrong. And all these are the common points coming from 3 different vehicles in their lineup. If I go specific, it'll need it's own thread.

Quote:
TATA needs to be more careful in selecting it's dealers and work on training staff. There is loud feedback out there and every company has to learn from it. This forum has a good reach and am sure there will be a positive resolution to the problem.
Do you think it's something they're not aware of? Tata and Mahindra and their respective dealers have been like that since the time they started manufacturing and selling vehicles in this country. Visit their factory once, you'll find the exact same attitude there as well. If that could not change in 32 years, nothing's gonna happen now. As I always say, prevention is better than cure. Better to stay away from such shoddy automakers and stick to those with a long history and heritage in auto manufacturing. I work hard to earn money, I'd rather spend it on a well established platform that is being sold worldwide and that respects it's customers by addressing timely recalls if/when anything goes wrong instead of treating you as a guinea pig.
The Rainmaker is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 19:38   #53
BHPian

Yes. All said and done now the company has proactively fixed the issue and replaced the entire battery pack. Though this may sound alarming as it is a major component that is being replaced, if that solves the issue once and for all then fine.

Have covered 200 kms since battery replacement and no issues so far. Range also seems to be holding well , same as 160-180 i used to get initially.

Going to do my first charge with the new charging gun and see if the dreaded red blinking light issue has disappeared forever.

Moderators- request to update title thread to battery changed and issue resolved !
Nanolover is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 05:02   #54
BHPian

Re: 5-month old Tata Tigor EV breaks down for the 2nd time in 3 days | Battery changed; issue resolv

Quote:

When I went for service ( transaxle oil change is there ), to my surprise, the entire HV battery pack was ordered and replaced under warranty !
Glad they replaced the entire pack. Hope you have a fuss free ownership from here on. Just a suggestion, you are probably already aware of it too. Charge your car to 100% as often as possible if not on a daily basis when you are charging at home. It helps with cell balancing and range estimation.

And if it's any consolation, it's not just Tata. Recently my friend's X5 plugin hybrid stopped right in the middle of a highway in Belgium. While waiting for the tow truck, he kept trying to restart. Eventually it did start. He drove straight to the dealership. The dealership kept his car for 2 weeks, but couldn't tell (or probably tell him) what went wrong.
pradeepkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 23:36   #55

Re: 5-month old Tata Tigor EV breaks down for the 2nd time in 3 days | Battery changed; issue resolv

Hello
Is there any update on your car?
Has the ownership experience been fuss free from that point?
Synergy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 15:54   #56
BHPian

[UPDATE]- Battery charge drops from 69% to 24% in one minute when the car is standing still!!

So, as you all know, my Tigor's battery pack was replaced in Feb this year and almost 10,000 kms later it was running fine till today.

I had slow charged it at home as usual yesterday (my car is only home charged) to 100% as we had 100+ kms running today for a marriage and school run etc.

Dmy driver did the school drop and morning chores and the efficiency was 110kwh/km and covered around 60kms and the charge was at 69% when parked at school for picking up the kids.

I just casually checked the app and it was showing 69% also. Around the expected time of return from school i checked the app again to know if they had started from school. To my horror,the SOC was showing 24% charge! I thought it might be a bug in the app and restarted it multiple times , but still showing same 24% ! I thought let the kids come back maybe an app bug. Upon kids arrival, driver also confirmed charge dropped suddenly and just to be on the safe side ( he was stranded once on the road when we had battery issue) he drove without ac.

Now the car is showing 17% charge , so 7% drop over 19 kms , so nothing unusual there.

Don't know what the problem is now, but i dread sending kids to school in it for now. I am charging the car as we speak and will drive around tomorrow as Sunday traffic is ok , in case any breakdown happens.

I am now really at my wits end and thinking of selling off the tigor as i beleive I have been sold a lemon by the dealer. My brother considering my ordeal, brought his Tiago ev from the other smaller dealer in Trivandrum and he got a factory fresh car with no issues till date over 2000 kms.

See attached image for the charge drop.
Attached Thumbnails
5-month old Tata Tigor EV breaks down for the 2nd time in 3 days | Battery changed; issue resolved-screenshot_20231028154049394_com.tatamotors.evcvp.jpg  

Nanolover is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 10:54   #57
BHPian

Did you recently do the ‘prime update’. This has happened with almost everyone. Do a full cycle charge (<10 to 100) and it doesn’t happen again. The No 10 spanner will also work. Software bug in the ‘BMS’.
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 12:39   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Did you recently do the ‘prime update’. This has happened with almost everyone. Do a full cycle charge (<10 to 100) and it doesn’t happen again. The No 10 spanner will also work. Software bug in the ‘BMS’.
Yes,it had been updated in August end and adjustable regen has also been added. I have taken the battery down to 10% and full charged it issue has not reappeared for the past one month almost. Hope it has disappeared for good!
Old 2nd December 2023, 13:25   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[UPDATE]- Battery charge drops from 69% to 24% in one minute when the car is standing still!!

Dmy driver did the school drop and morning chores and the efficiency was 110kwh/km and covered around 60kms and the charge was at 69% when parked at school for picking up the kids.

I just casually checked the app and it was showing 69% also. Around the expected time of return from school i checked the app again to know if they had started from school. To my horror,the SOC was showing 24% charge! I thought it might be a bug in the app and restarted it multiple times , but still showing same 24% ! I thought let the kids come back maybe an app bug. Upon kids arrival, driver also confirmed charge dropped suddenly and just to be on the safe side ( he was stranded once on the road when we had battery issue) he drove without ac.

Now the car is showing 17% charge , so 7% drop over 19 kms , so nothing unusual there.
Little off track. Do you have a reason to believe that driver might have tendancy to use the car (specially AC) while waiting for pick up. It has happened with someone I know that his driver was inadvertently using music system and fan during engine off and battery used to drain (ice car).

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 2nd December 2023 at 13:28.
Old 2nd December 2023, 13:39   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Little off track. Do you have a reason to believe that driver might have tendancy to use the car (specially AC) while waiting for pick up. It has happened with someone I know that his driver was inadvertently using music system and fan during engine off and battery used to drain (ice car).
It’s unlikely as the EV uses the HV battery for AC running and 1hr of AC uses less than 1% of battery
mally2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks