Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2023, 18:06   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Long Range EVs don't make sense, says Mazda US CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
OT

Is it a figure of speech or u already got an EV? If you got an EV already, would love to see a review in your inimitable style. Thanks.
Just a figure of speech. But my TomTom shows every charger in the country. There are an awful lot of chargers just about everywhere!

I have some friends with EVs. Notably one of our Alfa Spider friends whom are onto their second Fiat 500E. They started by importing one from the USA long before Fiat mass produced the Electrical Fiat 500 as we now now it. 200 km range on a good day. But they have never range issues. Either of their daily commutes is less than 100km both ways and they can even charge near work. They have 24 Solar panels at their home so home charging is no problem.

I am still waiting a couple of more years before I will buy a decent second hand small family car to replace our Ford Fiesta.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 23:18   #17
BHPian

We are at the cusp of this tech revolution. Most of the CXO and tech experts would like to sound like Andy Warhol. But Many of these are not likely to be correct. Someone saying that for range anxiety people will move back to Sedan from this rage of SUVs, someone saying you dont requires long range EVs. I won't be surprised if someone says that there won't be any ICE engines. No one knows.
But saying that current trends and asks will completely disappear , well, neither here nor there. I have seen incremental changes in asks once a trend has set feet. I can only remember the electronics changes in the last 20 year. Take mobiles phone. Once feature phones came in, it has just been graded change in consumer asks. Screen quality, then the camera, now mostly battery and a combo of others like durability, fast charging, looks etc. For TV, screen quality, screen size, weight, sound quality....Cant think of more.
I have my doubts if we will see dramatic changes in consumer preferences. They are likely to be steady and change gradually over time. No tectonic shifts is what I feel, in the next 20-30 years.
Old 13th February 2023, 06:55   #18
BHPian

The optimum range for EVs in the real world is 350 to 400 kilometers. Moreover, reduced charging time is important. An EV should be able to charge from 10-20% to 80-90% in 30 minutes using a 50 kW charger, not a 220 kW or 1000 kW charger.

Additionally, slow charging times should also decrease, with a 0-100% charge taking 6-8 hours. Once smart meters become mandatory, electricity charges will skyrocket, so charging during off-peak hours from 10 PM to 6 AM would be more cost-effective. Charging during peak hours from 6 PM to 10 PM may not be budget-friendly.

During long highway drives, it is recommended to take a 10-minute break every 2 to 3 hours. Continuous, non-stop driving is not healthy, and can lead to low back pain, knee pain, neck pain, and an increased risk of deep vein thrombosis. Taking a break every 20 to 30 minutes not only recharges the body, but also provides an opportunity to recharge the EV.

For this, the charging infrastructure must grow, and charging times must decrease using 50 kW chargers.
Old 13th February 2023, 08:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemechanic View Post
An EV should be able to charge from 10-20% to 80-90% in 30 minutes using a 50 kW charger, not a 220 kW or 1000 kW charger.

For this, the charging infrastructure must grow, and charging times must decrease using 50 kW chargers.
In 30 minutes, a 50kW charger can, at best, supply 25kWh of energy - and less in practice. You are effectively asking for an EV which can deliver 80% of its 400 km range on 25 kWh of energy.
RadixLecti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 09:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemechanic View Post
The optimum range for EVs in the real world is 350 to 400 kilometers. Moreover, reduced charging time is important. An EV should be able to charge from 10-20% to 80-90% in 30 minutes using a 50 kW charger, not a 220 kW or 1000 kW charger.
As explained below, this means 320 km on 25 kWh, and that is about 78 Wh/km. With current technology only a small light city car like Eva or PMV EaS-E (PMV electric to launch a small EV in India on 16th November) maybe able to do this. But that is not practical for highways, at best highway worthy cars can do 120 Wh/km at reasonable speeds. What you are asking will need a 33% efficiency improvement. This may or may not happen, but if it happens it will definitely need breakthrough battery technology, as motors have pretty much maxed out efficiency.

But why a limit of 50 kW charger, 220 kW or more is overkill. But what you are asking is very much doable with 100 to 150 kW, which is already there even in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadixLecti View Post
In 30 minutes, a 50kW charger can, at best, supply 25kWh of energy - and less in practice. You are effectively asking for an EV which can deliver 80% of its 400 km range on 25 kWh of energy.
wocanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 11:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadixLecti View Post
I agree with your point. Rapid charging is one of the key factors that will determine the widespread adoption of electric vehicles. With the current state of technology, fast charging with a 50 to 60 kW charger can enable an electric vehicle with a 50 kWh battery to be charged up to 80 to 90% in 30 to 40 minutes, which is a significant improvement over traditional charging methods.

However, the development of charging technology is a complex and multifaceted process that involves several factors, such as the advancement of battery technology, the optimization of charging infrastructure, and the standardization of charging systems. The development of high-power charging systems, such as 500 to 1000 kW chargers, is also a critical aspect of this process.

In conclusion, I believe that a combination of advancements in battery technology and charging infrastructure, along with the standardization of charging systems, will be necessary to achieve the goal of widespread adoption of electric vehicles.
Old 15th February 2023, 12:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
According to a media report, Mazda US CEO Jef a high battery range for their daily commute, they will stop seeking long-range EVs. He added that the improvement of the public charging infrastructure is more important.

[The small battery on the range-extender MX-30 can recharge in just 25 minutes.
Ev's are in the same transition period as smartphones were during 2012 to 2018. Earlier they had huge batteries with 10 or 15w chargers that took 2 to 3 hrs to charge. Latter brand found out its better and profitable to have smaller batteries with faster charging likr 30w, then 50w, and now-a-days the standard is 60w, 80w etc.

Point is rather than having a huge battery with range of 600 and poor charging infra, it would be better to have a 300 to 400km range battery with 30 or so charging time and the charging infra should cover all major cities in India first.Only then will range anxiety go away. Either you improve the charging infra or improve the battery tech.

The most important factor is where these charging stations get theyr supply from. It won't make sense to burn coal to make electricity and use that electricity to charge a battery especially if that battery tech is difficult and more energy intensive to make in the first place!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks