Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2023, 20:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Study: Range ratings of EVs are far less reliable than that of their ICE counterparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
Isn't this true for ICE cars as well - ICE cars are also very susceptible to varying driving conditions. Bumper to Bumper traffic? Single Digit FE. Drive above 100 kmph? FE drop. Accelerate hard? Single digit FE!! Extreme weather? FE drop. Mountain roads & a full load of passengers too?? FE drop.
True, but ICE cars are nowhere as susceptible to driving conditions as an EV. Additionally, even if ICE cars are about to run out of juice, there is 0 planning required and usually a top up is just about 5 mins round the corner. Refuelling requires hardly 5 mins, both of which requires a lot of planning time for an EV.

Quote:
Also why would one wait for 20% to charge their car. On major highways there are multiple chargers, you can charge earlier as well it is all based on the distance you want to travel. Yes on some highways chargers are less you might reach till 20% before finding a charger but that is changing fast. Also, all this is only valid if you are travelling more than 280 kms in a single go.
There are very less reliable chargers around. Most times I have seen when there are two chargers listed at any location, one of them won't be working or having some or the other niggle. Not to mention, not all roads are having such high number of chargers like you mentioned. I am a frequent Pune-Solapur-Akkalkot-Gangapur traveller and there are hardly any reliable chargers on this route.

Also like you said, the availability of chargers is indeed changing, but so is the EV buying population. Not sure if this could be a potential headache, as we would see multiple EVs waiting in line for charging at any charging station.
Old 1st May 2023, 21:45   #17
BHPian

Re: Study: Range ratings of EVs are far less reliable than that of their ICE counterparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
True, but ICE cars are nowhere as susceptible to driving conditions as an EV. Additionally, even if ICE cars are about to run out of juice, there is 0 planning required and usually a top up is just about 5 mins round the corner. Refuelling requires hardly 5 mins, both of which requires a lot of planning time for an EV.
EVs are equally susceptible to changing conditions as a ICE car. Just that we dont care about the ICE car range because we have numerous fuel stations. Also, yes it requires time to plan your journey but no more than 15 mins. Site like plugshare is a Google map of chargers and helps you plan your journeys. I was able to do a Ranthambore trip with family when my car was only 1500 kms and 20 days old. Neither my wife or me had any doubts about the trip.

Quote:
There are very less reliable chargers around. Most times I have seen when there are two chargers listed at any location, one of them won't be working or having some or the other niggle. Not to mention, not all roads are having such high number of chargers like you mentioned. I am a frequent Pune-Solapur-Akkalkot-Gangapur traveller and there are hardly any reliable chargers on this route.

Also like you said, the availability of chargers is indeed changing, but so is the EV buying population. Not sure if this could be a potential headache, as we would see multiple EVs waiting in line for charging at any charging station.
I see so many fast chargers on this route. Distance is 360 kms. One needs one charge to reach there.

Study: Range ratings of EVs are far less reliable than that of their ICE counterparts-screenshot_2023050121251332_78a78a40873983f50312c9bf4f86e455.jpg

Finally to your point of there being line at charging stations. Right now there is under utilisation of most chargers. The charging point operators are waiting for increased utilisation to install further more chargers.
Example of how things are ramping up, route from Delhi to Chandigarh has multiple chargers, there is location where the utilisation was high. So two new CPOs have put their chargers at the same spot, hence solving the congestion
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 23:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EVs are equally susceptible to changing conditions as a ICE car. Just that we dont care about the ICE car range because we have numerous fuel stations.
Disagree here. I have driven my friend's ZS EV extensively and it is much more susceptible to faster acceleration, a hilly road and even while cruising at more than 100 kph. Compare this to a turbo diesel and turbo petrol motors, these two are susceptible but significantly lesser than a EV.

Quote:
Also, yes it requires time to plan your journey but no more than 15 mins. Site like plugshare is a Google map of chargers and helps you plan your journeys. I was able to do a Ranthambore trip with family when my car was only 1500 kms and 20 days old. Neither my wife or me had any doubts about the trip.
There's two things here- First the planning part. No it's not just about 15 mins planning. When you are on a roadtrip, you might want to deviate slightly to some other part when your wife wants to visit a certain place or your mom needs to search for a tablet in a medical nearby. God forbid, you are in a medical emergency, and the EV is currently just at 15% SOC. Even in smaller matters, like you might have a kid, who just wants to have a certain kind of cuisine, where there might not be a charger/fast charger facility available. There's just too many variables IMO.

Second part- Even if you do the right planning one simply can't do long stretches like you do in a ICE car in a single day. For instance I have many times done a Pune-Tuljapur-Akkalkot-Pune journey in a single day in my ICE car, which also involves spending about a total of 4 hours (minimum)at both temples. I leave home around 7 AM and reach at 11 PM or so. I simply can't afford to wait charging my vehicle for around 2 hours on such journeys, if I do I might need to make a halt, which is not something I had planned for. Again this is applicable only for fast chargers which are nearly 80% as costly as refuelling a diesel car, thus defeating the purpose of an EV.

Quote:
I see so many fast chargers on this route. Distance is 360 kms. One needs one charge to reach there.
Thanks, I will share this (about plugshare) with my friend, but perhaps he is already aware of this. He's said majority of the chargers on such apps are fast charging units, which are very costly, and therefore prepares to charge his vehicle at his office or home location.
07CR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 23:23   #19
BHPian

Title says 'Study: Range ratings of EVs are far less reliable than that of their ICE counterparts'.

Honestly does this even matter ? For me its all about running cost. Which is cheaper to get our daily job done?

EVs right now make sense. People I know and my other relatives who own these ICE cars always tell me the mileage they get in city is less than 15. And the less said about turbo engines the better. Car enthusiasts have every right to defend ICE based performance engines, no problem with that at all. Those with CNG get somewhat a better mileage but have to drive with somewhat a jammed like feeling!

There is a very simple solution for those who have range anxiety.

Just utilise your EV to the fullest within a radius of 100km. If you want to cross cities just take an ICE car and enjoy the ride without any worries.

Although the charging facility seems to be improving, I understand some people won't be comfortable to wait for an hour or two while charging their vehicle. Also we are far away from those swappable batteries concept.

So I believe for rides longer than 200 kms its best to take your ICE car or even hire a ICE vehicle. EV cars can be used comfortably in city or within a radius of 90-100kms.
Old 2nd May 2023, 10:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Compare this to a turbo diesel and turbo petrol motors, these two are susceptible but significantly lesser than a EV.

There's two things here- First the planning part. No it's not just about 15 mins planning. When you are on a roadtrip, you might want to deviate slightly to some other part when your wife wants to visit a certain place or your mom needs to search for a tablet in a medical nearby. God forbid, you are in a medical emergency, and the EV is currently just at 15% SOC. Even in smaller matters, like you might have a kid, who just wants to have a certain kind of cuisine, where there might not be a charger/fast charger facility available. There's just too many variables IMO.
Lets agree to disagree on the above points. Yes, alot of things can go wrong but i am a guy who looks at life as "Glass half full rather than Glass half empty".

Quote:
Again this is applicable only for fast chargers which are nearly 80% as costly as refuelling a diesel car, thus defeating the purpose of an EV.

Thanks, I will share this (about plugshare) with my friend, but perhaps he is already aware of this. He's said majority of the chargers on such apps are fast charging units, which are very costly, and therefore prepares to charge his vehicle at his office or home location.
Fast charging is costly yes but not as costly as running a ICE car. On my Ranthambore trip i spent Rs. 2100 for travelling 680 kms that is Rs 3 a km. I charged at Tata fast chargers which are the most expensive of the lot. I don't see any ICE car coming near Rs 3 per km running cost. I used drive a Rapid diesel automatic before this. With it highway mileage of 21 kmpl, the same trip would have cost me Rs 4.5 per km. This is without accounting for maintenance cost.
Old 2nd May 2023, 11:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lets agree to disagree on the above points. Yes, alot of things can go wrong but i am a guy who looks at life as "Glass half full rather than Glass half empty".
Sure. However, in my case, I am not a guy who spends 20% more on a EV model (purchase cost), just to compromise on my road travel experience.

Quote:
Fast charging is costly yes but not as costly as running a ICE car. On my Ranthambore trip i spent Rs. 2100 for travelling 680 kms that is Rs 3 a km. I charged at Tata fast chargers which are the most expensive of the lot. I don't see any ICE car coming near Rs 3 per km running cost. I used drive a Rapid diesel automatic before this. With it highway mileage of 21 kmpl, the same trip would have cost me Rs 4.5 per km.
I am not saying using fast chargers for charging an EV is equivalent to filling diesel or petrol in a conventional ICE car. Just saying the difference is massive when you charge the EV at your home than charging at a fast charger.

On that note, I regularly extract a FE of 22 kmpl from my ecosport Diesel, the 680 kms cost me about 2859 Rs. (Pune diesel rate 92.5). Per km it costs 4.2 Rs. For a direct comparison (same segment cars Ecosport/Nexon)of running costs, I don't see much savings in an EV than a conventional ICE diesel car (when using fast chargers).

Scenario will most likely change for only in-city usage (as fast charging won't be necessary).

Quote:
This is without accounting for maintenance cost.
Regarding maintenance cost, I would look at it on a long term basis, considering how the battery performs in tropical Indian conditions. Let's say post 5 years of usage and 75000 kms completed. I am not even taking into account the resale value, which will nosedive massively after 7-8 years of usage for an EV.

Last edited by 07CR : 2nd May 2023 at 11:48.
Old 2nd May 2023, 16:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Sure. However, in my case, I am not a guy who spends 20% more on a EV model (purchase cost), just to compromise on my road travel experience.
What you pay extra is what you recover in the running cost. I don't want to argue on this point further. Each to his own, you find it a compromised experience (on some highways only). I find it supporting an emerging technology which will may be make things better for our kids

Quote:
I am not saying using fast chargers for charging an EV is equivalent to filling diesel or petrol in a conventional ICE car. Just saying the difference is massive when you charge the EV at your home than charging at a fast charger.

On that note, I regularly extract a FE of 22 kmpl from my ecosport Diesel, the 680 kms cost me about 2859 Rs. (Pune diesel rate 92.5). Per km it costs 4.2 Rs. For a direct comparison (same segment cars Ecosport/Nexon)of running costs, I don't see much savings in an EV than a conventional ICE diesel car (when using fast chargers).

Scenario will most likely change for only in-city usage (as fast charging won't be necessary).
Rs. 3 vs Rs 4.2 is 40% difference in running cost. In city, EV runs at Rs 1 per km and the ecosport will run at Rs 5.8 per km considering 16 kmpl average

Quote:
Regarding maintenance cost, I would look at it on a long term basis, considering how the battery performs in tropical Indian conditions. Let's say post 5 years of usage and 75000 kms completed. I am not even taking into account the resale value, which will nosedive massively after 7-8 years of usage for an EV.
The motor and battery has a warranty of 8 years / 1,60,000 kms so till then there is no stress at all and no exceptional maintenance costs. Till now i have always changed my car between 5-6 yrs. I don't think there will be a resale value crash with the warranty still in play. Also, you are forgetting the second life of EV batteries. Please read this insight from Mckinsey from 2019 - link

Battery life cycle screenshot from the same insight

Study: Range ratings of EVs are far less reliable than that of their ICE counterparts-screenshot-20230502-154040.png

Source - Mckinsey
ferrarirules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 16:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What you pay extra is what you recover in the running cost. I don't want to argue on this point further. Each to his own, you find it a compromised experience (on some highways only). I find it supporting an emerging technology which will may be make things better for our kids.
This isn't so simple. With an average running of 10-12K per year, I am not sure the complete investment is recovered considering a delta of 3-4L~ for a Nexon ICE diesel vs EV.

Regarding compromised experience on highways, I will say it again, it's not about just finding a fast charger. It's also about the fast charger being in optimum working state without any issues, and secondly the time consumed for fast charging which is anywhere between 60 - 80 mins.

I think we have digressed a lot here from the topic, but these are my closing thoughts.

Quote:
The motor and battery has a warranty of 8 years / 1,60,000 kms so till then there is no stress at all and no exceptional maintenance costs.
Having a warranty is one thing, and avg battery health dropping per every charge is another thing. Your warranty claims won't be entertained if in say two years you proove that the battery health is only at 90% to what it was when it was brand new.

Quote:
Till now i have always changed my car between 5-6 yrs. I don't think there will be a resale value crash with the warranty still in play.

This is something only time will answer. I have a colleague who is in the used Auto business and as per him, the used EV prices fall drastically in the Used market. Sample size is small currently, but that's what his dealership has observed. Here is one more article pointing towards the same-
Electric cars depreciate faster

Excerpts from the same-
Quote:
Unfortunately, electric cars depreciate a bit faster than gas-powered cars. The most significant vehicle depreciation typically occurs after purchase and within the first three years. According to an iSeeCars study, EV owners can expect 52 percent depreciation in the first three years. However, ICE sedans will depreciate 39.1 percent in that same amount of time, SUVs will drop 39.7 percent, and trucks will depreciate 34.3 percent.
Therefore that's one more compromise I would be entering into, since the resale conundrum will always be on my mind.
Old 4th May 2023, 16:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly. And my question is, would you have recovered the additional investment at time of purchase, within this period? Most EV owners make a big road trip within a few weeks of buying their car, to be reassured of how much cheaper it is to run, but how much do they actually run it during it's usable lifetime, before it loses all value? Fueling costs might be lower, but what of the higher EMIs paid month after month? Only people who drive a whole lot seem to recover their higher investment costs with the fuel savings. For the others who drive low miles, they simply won't save enough. This is much like hotels having an all-you-can eat meal for 500 or 1000 INR. How many even eat enough to recover that money, let alone make a profit? They console themselves saying that they paid instead for the ambiance, the experience, and so on, but the point about recovering the expense remains. It's cheaper to just order what you want and pay for it.

Quote:
This isn't so simple. With an average running of 10-12K per year, I am not sure the complete investment is recovered considering a delta of 3-4L~ for a Nexon ICE diesel vs EV.

Having a warranty is one thing, and avg battery health dropping per every charge is another thing. Your warranty claims won't be entertained if in say two years you proove that the battery health is only at 90% to what it was when it was brand new.
Exactly. Not many EV owners actually recover their higher investment, despite the lower fuel prices. And the fuel savings is less glaring when on superchargers/fast chargers, so it takes even more miles of driving to be able to recover that higher investment.

No ICE car's range drops off a little every passing year, till it starts consuming twice the amount of fuel for the same range, but range drops year after year is probably something that'll have to be accepted too, till the drop becomes greater than some accepted value for the age. The fine print is likely to have plenty of surprises as regards the warranty on the batteries. The ideal case for an EV is for the battery to get replaced just before the warranty dies out, as it'll then still have resale, but what if the battery is still deemed to be not replaceable as it's just lost 35%? What about the resale value then? In many countries, you have to pay to dispose/recycle hazardous waste, so you'll have to actually pay for those batteries to be disposed, as well as pay for a new set, should you want to do it on your own dime.
supermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 23:16   #25
BHPian

** Mod note** - At the risk of going further off topic, i am responding. Mod's please merge to different thread if required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
Exactly. And my question is, would you have recovered the additional investment at time of purchase, within this period?
Exactly. Not many EV owners actually recover their higher investment, despite the lower fuel prices. And the fuel savings is less glaring when on superchargers/fast chargers, so it takes even more miles of driving to be able to recover that higher investment.
Simple calculation for a break even cost of EV in Faridabad, Haryana or Delhi. Included Delhi because Haryana is not providing registration waiver on EV vehicles. They provided 15% discount on ex-showroom (first 1000 cars) and 20% discount upfront on registration.

Study: Range ratings of EVs are far less reliable than that of their ICE counterparts-untitled.png

I got the Haryana subsidy so my car will break even at 75k and 65k kms compared to petrol and diesel respectively. A person who buys it in Delhi, will break even at 106k and 101k kms compared to petrol and diesel respectively

I have not included maintenance in above calculation. Read the maintenance comparison below
1. EV maintenance doesn't cross 2.5k to 3k per service which is 1/3 or 1/4 of a ICE car.
2. It has lesser components to fail as well e.g. clutch, flywheel, gearbox.
3. Petrol/ Diesel Nexon have a maximum warranty (extended warranty included) at 5 yrs or 1,25,000 kms. Nexon EV comes with 5 yrs or 1,25,000 kms (extended warranty included) plus 8 yrs or 1,60,000 kms for battery and motor (two keys components). That reduces hefty repair bills at the fag end of ownership.

Quote:
No ICE car's range drops off a little every passing year, till it starts consuming twice the amount of fuel for the same range, but range drops year after year is probably something that'll have to be accepted too, till the drop becomes greater than some accepted value for the age. The fine print is likely to have plenty of surprises as regards the warranty on the batteries. The ideal case for an EV is for the battery to get replaced just before the warranty dies out, as it'll then still have resale, but what if the battery is still deemed to be not replaceable as it's just lost 35%? What about the resale value then? In many countries, you have to pay to dispose/recycle hazardous waste, so you'll have to actually pay for those batteries to be disposed, as well as pay for a new set, should you want to do it on your own dime.
1. Now coming to the battery degradation, there have been studies that have been done on Tesla batteries and they are degrading at rate of 2.3% per year. Source - link1, link2. Based on this number, the car battery will degrade to 85% in 8 years.
2. Another evidence of battery degradation curve is a team bhpian who is using MG ZS EV and his battery has degraded 2.2% in 22k kms - link (Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive). So extrapolating by the time he would have travelled 1,00,000 kms he would have lost 10% of his battery life which is 10% percent reduction in range.
3. Battery degradation will impact the car's resale value as much as 10 yr diesel ban rule impacts a diesel car in NCR.
4. As i have mentioned before, there is demand for used EV batteries, nobody is asking for money to dispose them or recycle them. They have numerous stationary application in the power storage space. Example - link1 link2 link3

Name:  Untitled1.png
Views: 113
Size:  22.2 KB
Old 5th May 2023, 04:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
** Mod note** - At the risk of going further off topic, i am responding. Mod's please merge to different thread if required.

Simple calculation for a break even cost of EV in Faridabad, Haryana or Delhi. Included Delhi because Haryana is not providing registration waiver on EV vehicles. They provided 15% discount on ex-showroom (first 1000 cars) and 20% discount upfront on registration.

Attachment 2447290

I got the Haryana subsidy so my car will break even at 75k and 65k kms compared to petrol and diesel respectively. A person who buys it in Delhi, will break even at 106k and 101k kms compared to petrol and diesel respectively
You've got this backwards. Here's how you should do it.

1. Assume that the average Joe driver does around 6000 km per year (this is perhaps much higher than the real average, but assume it), and assume 8 years of usage, i.e 48k km in 8 years.
2. Let IC be the cost of the ICE car. Let EC be the cost of the EV.
2. Compute the fuel costs for the ICE car for these 48k km. Let this cost be IF.
3. Compute the charging costs for your EV for the same 48k km. Let this cost be EF

Of interest to us is R=IF-EF-(EC-IC).

If R is positive, it means the running cost of the EV has been low enough to make up the higher cost of the EV, across 48k km of usage. The magnitude of R is then the saving made across 48k km of usage of the EV.

If R is negative, it means the EV has not recovered its higher cost of acquisition across 48k km. If so, ignore the minus sign, and divide the value of R by the cost per kilometer of the EV, and it'll give you the additional kilometer count that the EV must do, in order to break even, with respect to the ICE car.

Let Per km cost of EV be KEV=EF/48000 and Per km cost of ICE be KICE=IF/48000. Savings per km of EV vs ICE would be KICE-KEV; let that be EVSK (EV fuel saving per km).
For example, if R=-20000, this would be 20000 / EVSK. This would give you the additional kilometers in excess of 48k km you have to drive the EV.
When you add this extra distance to 48k, we have the break-even point of your EV, compared to the ICE car. Perform this with both petrol and diesel and see how the numbers line up. I'll probably give it a shot myself, with your own figures and post tomorrow, as I'm really sleepy and it's way past my bedtime right now! It would made for interesting reading.

Edit: I decided to actually do the math before turning in; I also spotted a mistake I'd made, which I corrected.
Here's the math, using your own numbers. I'm looking at the numbers you've quoted for Delhi

KICE=6.5 - 1.4 = 5.1 (savings per km on EV)
R = (6.5*48000) - (1.4*48000) - (1966000-1433000) = -288200. Right here, we know that we've not recovered the additional cost of the EV across 48 k kilometers of driving. The value that still needs to be recovered is ~2.88L INR.
Let's now divide 288200 by KICE (savings per km on EV) to get the additional kilometers we need to drive the EV, to recover this extra 2.88 L INR, shall we?
288200/5.1=56509.

We have to drive your EV an additional 56k kilometers in order to be able to get back the money that wasn't quite paid for by the fuel savings across 48000 km the ICE guy did.
The ICE guy drives his car for 48000 km and still sells it at a good price. You on the other hand will have to drive your EV for 104509 km in order to be able to get back your money, and not to have spent more than the ICE guy.
Is this really the savings you were talking about?

Last edited by supermax : 5th May 2023 at 05:00.
Old 5th May 2023, 05:17   #27
BHPian

Mod, I missed the 30 minute deadline to edit. Please merge with my previous comment.

Of course we've not discussed maintenance costs, but if you factor for the additional years you have to drive the EV in order to recoup the higher cost of investment, you'll probably go way over the maintenance cost of the ICE, as you'll have to pay for new batteries from your own pocket, as the warranty would be long gone.

Another elephant in the room that no EV fan seems to notice is that cost differential between petrol and electricity. Do you think this won't change in the future? EVs enjoy subsidies now, but once there is a critical mass, do you think there will still be subsidies? Sweden has already one away with the climate bonus and many other EU states are also mulling the same. In a country like India with acute power shortage, EV charging will be considered premium use. Just like you have LPG being sold at different prices for domestic and commercial usage, there will be different tariffs for home usage and EV charging usage. It'll still be cheaper than petrol and diesel I'm guessing, but not quite as cheap as it seems to be today, but people are happily calculating savings they'll be making across a 8 or 10 year ownership period, given today's price difference between petrol and electricity, which I think is quite short-sighted, but for now, I'll be happy to hear your thoughts on the math in my previous comment. Let's agree that neither I nor you have a crystal ball, to gaze into the future, so that part might be termed conjecture, though it's based on precedence.

Am I saying that EVs are not good for saving money? Not in the least, but if you use your car sparingly (6000 km a year in my example), you'll never recover your money. If you double or triple this , the savings will start becoming visible, but the more you drive, the more you'll be plagued with range issues and anxiety, but lets say that the inconvenience is worth the savings, and yes, EVs can save money, but only if you really use your car a lot. Not just a 3000 km trip once a life time, but sustained heavy usage is what saves money with EVs. Else, it's just a sinkhole for your money, and you'll be fooled into thinking you are saving money.
Old 5th May 2023, 08:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Is this really the savings you were talking about?
Why is my calculation backward?? My calculation is straight forward, i calculated the break even km for the price at which i bought the car or price at which a person in delhi bought the car.
Now anybody looking at the calculation can decide based on his/her monthly driving which year will he/she be able to hit the break even mark.

Where in this thread has it been said that a person using a car for 650 kms a month should buy an EV

My monthly driving is 2000 kms i mentioned this in my calculations. I bought my vehicle with haryana subsidy. My break even is at 75k kms which i will achieve in 3-4 yrs. After that all i drive is a gain over an ICE car

For electricity prices, they are today at Rs 7.1 per unit. Assume an increase in the prices by 50% in next ten years which according to me if impossible in this country. Also it is impossible to defined EV charging electricity cost as EVs charge on a normal 16a Plug which used by AC as well. The running cost will go to Rs 2. Also are we assuming that petrol and diesel will not get costlier in the next ten years. Example petrol price in 2013 was Rs 74 a litre in delhi.

Last edited by ferrarirules : 5th May 2023 at 08:42. Reason: Adding further response
Old 5th May 2023, 14:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Why is my calculation backward?? My calculation is straight forward, i calculated the break even km for the price at which i bought the car or price at which a person in delhi bought the car.
Now anybody looking at the calculation can decide based on his/her monthly driving which year will he/she be able to hit the break even mark.

Where in this thread has it been said that a person using a car for 650 kms a month should buy an EV

My monthly driving is 2000 kms i mentioned this in my calculations. I bought my vehicle with haryana subsidy. My break even is at 75k kms which i will achieve in 3-4 yrs. After that all i drive is a gain over an ICE car
It appears that your usage pattern indeed is ideal for an EV, apart from the additional overhead/time lost in charging cycles. This too is probably not much of a factor for you, as you probably get most of your charging done overnight, in which case, you really are the perfect case of an EV owner. I agree that you've not claimed that EVs make sense for usage of around 650 km a month, but on this very forum, EVs are stated to be practical for the common man, something I've disagreed with in the past, and continue to do so. Unless one uses a car as much as you do, EVs make zero economic sense. The EMIs will be lower if one buys an ICE car, and despite higher fuel costs, ICE cars are still cheaper to run over their lifetime, if one only uses a car sparingly, as is the case for most of the people who answer the tag 'common man'.
Old 5th May 2023, 15:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:
It appears that your usage pattern indeed is ideal for an EV, apart from the additional overhead/time lost in charging cycles. This too is probably not much of a factor for you, as you probably get most of your charging done overnight, in which case, you really are the perfect case of an EV owner. I agree that you've not claimed that EVs make sense for usage of around 650 km a month, but on this very forum, EVs are stated to be practical for the common man, something I've disagreed with in the past, and continue to do so. Unless one uses a car as much as you do, EVs make zero economic sense. The EMIs will be lower if one buys an ICE car, and despite higher fuel costs, ICE cars are still cheaper to run over their lifetime, if one only uses a car sparingly, as is the case for most of the people who answer the tag 'common man'.
EV loans had an additional tax benefit (all loans approved till 31 Mar 2023) under Section 80 EEB - link so that helps on the EMI reduction to some extent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks