Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2023, 08:21   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Where did you get this? Which app?
This is available on MG EV Forum. You can use a bluetooth OBD reader along with the app.
https://www.mgevs.com/threads/thai-a...-version.5141/
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 10:36   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive

A drive to Goa and Karwar in the Lightfury.

I just completed ~1300Kms drive to Goa and back in the ZS EV. We had planned a drive to Goa and Karwar during the summer holidays, this included couple of days stay in South Goa and a day’s stay in Karwar.

Typically on such long drives, I prefer to drive in the night time as my son sleeps off in his car seat and it’s less stressful for him. Also the cooler night temperatures are lot bearable if a good part of the drive is completed in the night.

We left our residence at 11:52PM with a full charge. Drove non-stop to the first charging stop at a Jio BP fuel station just before Ranebennur. It’s at a distance of 304Kms and it took me 4hrs 40Mins for this stretch. This is a 60KW fast charger and the charging process and experience is very good. SOC was down to 25% and charged to 95% in 40mins, this was sufficient to reach our resort in South Goa with 16% battery left. We reached the resort at 12:45PM which included 45mins break for breakfast, 40mins for charging and wasting about 25 minutes at 8 election checkpoints. Most of the conversations at these checkpoints was around the range of the ZS.

There are two AC chargers at the resort we stayed and I charged to 100% there. We didn’t venture out in Goa.

On the return drive, we drove to Karwar for a night’s stay there. SOC was down to 82% when we left Karwar. We stopped for lunch in Honnavar and charged at the same time at the newly opened Jio BP fast charging station. By the time we had lunch, the car was charged to 97% from 56% in about 35mins. We visited the nearby temple at Idagunji and left for Bangalore at 3:15PM. I opted to charge at the same Jio BP charging station which I used while going to Goa. Reached this charger at 6:50PM with 32% SOC left. While the car was charging, we had an early dinner. Charged to 98% in 52mins, which was sufficient for the drive back home. The final leg of the drive took about 4hrs 20mins to cover the final 312kms to reach home. SOC was at 9% when we reached home.

Few pointers:
  • I don’t hypermile and I drive just like ICE cars. I keep my speeds between 80-90KMPH and with occasional bursts to 110KMPH.
  • Most of the drive was in normal mode with sports mode used for about 200Kms during the return drive. AC was on all the time.
  • Drive was excellent. Lightfury had no problem negotiating the occasional bad stretch of roads.
  • The fast-charging network is in place and there was no range anxiety at any point. There were multiple reliable chargers available. An EV with a real-world range of 300Kms can do long drives with ease.
  • I always opt for chargers which can charge two cars simultaneously and ones with high charging rate. Also I plan for backup chargers should the preferred one is down or occupied. I avoid chargers which can be a single point of failure.
  • Plan for elevation changes, this can significantly add or reduce range. The onward journey was from an elevation of 900Meters to sea level and I could do the distance on a single charging stop. But the return leg meant climbing the 900meters increasing the consumption prompting a second charging stop.

Final stats:
  • Total distance driven: 1291.4Kms
  • Total driving time: 22Hr 55mins
  • Avg. Speed: 55KMPH
  • Avg. consumption: 7.7Km/KWH
  • Total charging costs: 3209.86
  • Cost/Km: Rs. 2.48

Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive-20230427_000920.jpg

At the charging station
Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive-20230423_044213.jpg

Parting shot
Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive-20230425_184553.jpg
speedmiester is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 12:44   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
A drive to Goa and Karwar in the Lightfury.

I just completed ~1300Kms drive to Goa and back in the ZS EV. We had planned a drive to Goa and Karwar during the summer holidays, this included couple of days stay in South Goa and a day’s stay in Karwar.
Where did you start from? Is it my eyes that cannot find it?
pandabear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 14:54   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
Where did you start from? Is it my eyes that cannot find it?
I started from Bangalore.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 02:18   #125
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience. Could you say a bit more about comfort in an electric car vs. petrol car over long distances? Does the lower NVH translate to a less fatiguing drive?

Your total charging cost for the trip is incredible. I imagine an equivalent petrol car (i.e. having ~200 bhp) would return a 15kmpl average, which translates to around Rs. 8000 in fuel costs.

I don't see how petrol cars stand any chance against EVs in India. Relatively speaking, distances travelled are far smaller (even on road trips, due to tolls, traffic etc), and people love saving money on "fuel".
karanddd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 09:15   #126
BANNED

Quote:
Most of the conversations at these checkpoints was around the range of the ZS.
As it should be, at anywhere you stop
Quote:
final 312kms to reach home. SOC was at 9% when we reached home.
Were you sure on making it to home without needing a 10 min top? I guess this isn't the first time you did this on this route?
Quote:
Few pointers:
  • The fast-charging network is in place and there was no range anxiety at any point. There were multiple reliable chargers available. An EV with a real-world range of 300Kms can do long drives with ease.
  • Plan for elevation changes, this can significantly add or reduce range. The onward journey was from an elevation of 900Meters to sea level and I could do the distance on a single charging stop. But the return leg meant climbing the 900meters increasing the consumption prompting a second charging stop.
With Bharath Petroleum also electrifying and once their network comes online, then it would be a case of spoilt for choice rather than where I can find a charger. Another great case for MG over Nexon is that the car support proper fast charging and not restricted to 0.75C.

Quote:
Final stats:
  • Total distance driven: 1291.4Kms
  • Avg. consumption: 7.7Km/KWH
  • Total charging costs: 3209.86
  • Cost/Km: Rs. 2.48
That's a good efficiency for driving, if there were some BESCOM FC on the way, that cost can come down even drastically. BTW, did you pay for the AC charging at resort? I have been using Fuelio for tracking charging, it does have trip feature but it does not have features like adding toll, charging cost to the trip itself. Do you use any app for tracking purpose?
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 10:13   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. Could you say a bit more about comfort in an electric car vs. petrol car over long distances? Does the lower NVH translate to a less fatiguing drive?
The lower NVH does add to driving comfort. Also the lack of gearbox means the drive on twisty ghat roads are much easier. The instant acceleration also helps in quick overtakes. I do find the lack of lumber support in the ZS as a limiting factor, but apart from that driving an EV is a pleasure.
The new gen born EVs will be much better at it and once you get used it to the silence and the stress free drive, it is very hard to move to ICE cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
As it should be, at anywhere you stop

Were you sure on making it to home without needing a 10 min top? I guess this isn't the first time you did this on this route?
Though this was the first time I was driving on this route in the ZS, I was comfortable and confident of covering the distance without stopping. I ensured that the DTE and remaining distance had a healthy gap of 25+Kms at all times in Normal mode. Also the last 80+ kms from Tumkur to Bangalore were on four lane roads with heavy traffic which meant a lot of braking and regen which aids the range. I still had 28Kms range with 9% battery left when I reached home. I was not conservative, I still averaged 68KMPH over this stretch and covered the distance in 4hrs 29Mins.
I have driven over 350Kms on a single charge multiple times. Understanding the terrain, elevation and traffic conditions does help.

Quote:
With Bharath Petroleum also electrifying and once their network comes online, then it would be a case of spoilt for choice rather than where I can find a charger. Another great case for MG over Nexon is that the car support proper fast charging and not restricted to 0.75C.
Absolutely, I could charge at 57-58KW on the Jio BP chargers which significantly reduced charging times.
Bharat Petroleum chargers are still in infancy with many chargers still offline, but once they are up and working, the range anxiety will be a thing of the past.

Quote:
That's a good efficiency for driving, if there were some BESCOM FC on the way, that cost can come down even drastically. BTW, did you pay for the AC charging at resort? I have been using Fuelio for tracking charging, it does have trip feature but it does not have features like adding toll, charging cost to the trip itself. Do you use any app for tracking purpose?
Unfortunately BESCOM FCs are only in Bangalore. So we have to rely on private players at thrice the cost, but it's a non-issue as such long drives are undertaken not very often and yet the cost of charging is much lesser compared to an ICE car.

The AC Charger I used were from Tata power and I had to pay for it. But the convenience of having a charger at the place you stay overnight is unparalleled.

I do not use any trackers/apps. I keep track on Excel. All charging service providers send an email and SMS with usage and cost per session. It is easy to keep track of charging expenses using these.
speedmiester is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 13:24   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Agree, that's a question in my mind as well. This is the log of SOH as displayed by the eZS app. There is linear deg as per the app.

On a full charge, I am still seeing 400Kms in Normal mode without AC.
The eZS app shows my car's SOH as 99.03% with just under 3k kms. Should I be worried?

Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive-photo_20230501-13.21.46.jpeg
vinvin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 13:53   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
The eZS app shows my car's SOH as 99.03% with just under 3k kms. Should I be worried?

Attachment 2445912
I don't think you need to worry as long as the total range on a full charge indicates 400Kms in Normal mode with AC.

Sharing the SOH readings from the eZS app including the current SOH.
Attached Thumbnails
Transition to Volthead | Ownership Review of LightFury | My White MG ZS EV Exclusive-screenshot_20230501_134130_ezs.jpg  

Old 1st May 2023, 18:59   #130
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think you need to worry as long as the total range on a full charge indicates 400Kms in Normal mode with AC.

Sharing the SOH readings from the eZS app including the current SOH.
Thanks speedmeister. I do see the 400 kms in Normal mode.

The screenshot lists your SoH value at 97.8 around 15k mark, and it increases to 98.18 and then decreases?! The SoH should only decrease with time, isn't it? Looks like some bug with the eZS app.
Old 1st May 2023, 20:18   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
Thanks speedmeister. I do see the 400 kms in Normal mode.

The screenshot lists your SoH value at 97.8 around 15k mark, and it increases to 98.18 and then decreases?! The SoH should only decrease with time, isn't it? Looks like some bug with the eZS app.
Yes, the bug is more in the MG's BMS than the eZS app. As long as the indicated range is as per the initial days, no need to worry.
Old 2nd May 2023, 11:58   #132
BHPian

I have the 2020 version and I have covered 44,000km. The car is just amazing! I have done multiple drives to Goa from Mumbai. I do it on 2 charges since I drive to enjoy, not to budget my journey. Yet I end upsetting a consistent 250km easy. I keep a 50km cushion and charge every 200km. This vehicle is a total workhorse and I am interested to upgrade to 2022 version now due to range
suryaj1990 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 16:58   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryaj1990 View Post
I have the 2020 version and I have covered 44,000km. The car is just amazing! I have done multiple drives to Goa from Mumbai. I do it on 2 charges since I drive to enjoy, not to budget my journey. Yet I end upsetting a consistent 250km easy. I keep a 50km cushion and charge every 200km. This vehicle is a total workhorse and I am interested to upgrade to 2022 version now due to range
Great going. I would recommend you to wait and get a born EV as your next buy. The 2022 MG ZS EV is good, but I don't think you will feel it as a major upgrade coming from the previous gen.
Old 21st May 2023, 22:42   #134
BHPian

Fantastic thread and a treat to follow. Quick questions on the ZS EV ownership -
1. I was given to understand that the eSIM is paid for only 1 year (earlier it was for 3 years) and to extend it for a yr, they charge 3000 per year. The sales person was sure that if you had CarPlay, there was no necessity for the eSim - question to anyone that has used a car without eSim - what is the loss of functionality and is it true that we can get by without it. Note that this may disable ability to call the RSA or emergency number, but the sales person said that this could be achieved via the MG App
2. Any details of the parts cost (such as brake pads) would really help
3. did debadging also include removing the side "electric" badges - they seem to be an eyesore IMHO
INNOVATOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 08:54   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOVATOR View Post
Fantastic thread and a treat to follow. Quick questions on the ZS EV ownership -
1. I was given to understand that the eSIM is paid for only 1 year (earlier it was for 3 years) and to extend it for a yr, they charge 3000 per year. The sales person was sure that if you had CarPlay, there was no necessity for the eSim - question to anyone that has used a car without eSim - what is the loss of functionality and is it true that we can get by without it. Note that this may disable ability to call the RSA or emergency number, but the sales person said that this could be achieved via the MG App
2. Any details of the parts cost (such as brake pads) would really help
3. did debadging also include removing the side "electric" badges - they seem to be an eyesore IMHO
Thanks.
1. I was not informed of any charges to the eSim. Since the JioSaavn and MapmyIndia subscription is valid for 3 years, I believe the eSim validity is also for 3 years.
2. Not much info on the spares cost as of now. This will be on par with similar priced vehicles. The major components will be Suspension, Body parts, Lights etc. Brake Pads will last long time due to regen. My earlier Ecosport's brake pads lasted 80000Kms and I had to force the service centre to replace them, it still had life for another 3-4000kms.
3. I have debadged the car fully. The badges made the car look gaudy. I even dechromed the MG badges with plastidip. Most people do not recognize it as an EV unless they see the green number plates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks