Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2024, 13:02   #16
BHPian

Re: VinFast to launch its first electric SUV in India in April 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaak View Post
Has anyone had firsthand experience with Vinfast? While I appreciate the employment opportunities and foreign direct investment (FDI) it brings, I remain doubtful about the vehicles' success.
Have not driven or sit in Vinfast cars, but during my trip to Vietnam last year, saw a few cars in Hanoi & Da Nang. While the cars appeared to look good from a distance, when I walked closer to the cars, the fit and finish was not great. Some parts seemed flimsy.
aayusht is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 12:24   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

VinFast breaks ground on its EV plant in Tamil Nadu 50 days after MoU signing.

VinFast to launch its first electric SUV in India in April 2024-4afaa599e4fb4232b48f8e0499c27092_groundbreaking.jpg

Vietnamese EV manufacturer begins construction of its integrated EV plant at Thoothukudi in Tamil Nadu just 50 days after it signed an MoU with the state government. The strategically located plant with a port nearby could help drive made-in-India VinFast EV exports too.

In addition to building the manufacturing facilities in Tamil Nadu, VinFast also plans to develop a nationwide dealership network which will enable to build its brand presence, considering the Vietnamese brand is relatively not so known in India as yet. VinFast and the Tamil Nadu government will also explore collaboration in the form of setting up a charging station network.

Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th February 2024 at 12:25.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 17:17   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

VinFast takes the acclaimed Tesla route to India, seeks import duty cut.

Vietnam’s VinFast seeks India EV import duty cut as plant construction starts.

Quote:
Vietnamese electric vehicle maker VinFast has asked India to reduce import duties on its cars for about two years so customers can get familiar with its products while a local manufacturing plant comes on stream
Quote:
Like Tesla, VinFast has also asked for a reduction to India’s 100% import duty on fully-built EVs, which has been opposed by domestic automakers. India, the world’s third-largest vehicle market, has been considering the requests but has not made a decision

Link:
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 20:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

I'm guessing they realised India is the only place they might be able to dump these things.
Cresterk is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 21:25   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I'm guessing they realised India is the only place they might be able to dump these things.
What we expect: Tesla
But what we actually got: VinFast
Already started worrying about the plight of future customers. We need to stay away from these junks.
TorqueKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 06:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
https://Youtu.be/fvJaGKNGKN4?si=C483zr39Y1VUJA66

The fit and finish actually looks better than our homegrown Mahindra & Tata vehicles. The BYDs of course blow all of them away.
Sad when you consider how long the Indian companies have been in the automotive business, and how new Vinfast and BYD are.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 07:02   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
https://Youtu.be/fvJaGKNGKN4?si=C483zr39Y1VUJA66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueKnight View Post
What we expect: Tesla
But what we actually got: VinFast
Already started worrying about the plight of future customers. We need to stay away from these junks.
Some Americans making a video badmouthing a car from Vietnam, shouldn't really be a benchmark, for so many reasons .

I've seen Vinfast cars up close and personal and have been in them too. The overall driving dynamics, quality of materials, fit and finish is good - much better than what we are used to seeing here. The cars are really fast and solid in feel of build too. In my personal opinion, these guys can pose a serious threat to our established brands in the EV space.

Its only the exterior design language that is a bit of a turn off for me, and it tends to apply for pretty much all cars from the East. But we shouldn't dismiss the overall engineering of these cars already. They pack quite a surprising punch (pun not intended), and not surprising since they come from a country that has close relationship with the mother of anything powered by Li Ion in the world.
Reinhard is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 11:07   #23
BHPian

Quite a lot of engineering work on Vinfast vehicles has happened in India, they are pretty decent vehicles performance, quality and safety wise.
Gaur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 11:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Some Americans making a video badmouthing a car from Vietnam, shouldn't really be a benchmark, for so many reasons .

I've seen Vinfast cars up close and personal and have been in them too. The overall driving dynamics, quality of materials, fit and finish is good - much better than what we are used to seeing here. The cars are really fast and solid in feel of build too. In my personal opinion, these guys can pose a serious threat to our established brands in the EV space.

Its only the exterior design language that is a bit of a turn off for me, and it tends to apply for pretty much all cars from the East. But we shouldn't dismiss the overall engineering of these cars already. They pack quite a surprising punch (pun not intended), and not surprising since they come from a country that has close relationship with the mother of anything powered by Li Ion in the world.
Vinfast went the Elon Musk Wannabe route (just like a particular CEO from Taxi aggretors turned Scooter Maker) and got their hands burned. But unlike Lord Elon Musk whose followers (mainly fake environmentalists & tech bros and keyboard warriors) think he can do no wrong, these companies do not have a reality distortion field around them and get called out for what they are.

But, I think they have learnt their lesson and are trying their best to rectify errors.

One thing Tesla got right is realizing before everyone else that Software and having dedicated charging infra is a very big part of the EV experience.
ZenMaster is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 12:48   #25
BHPian

I'm all for embracing innovation, especially when it comes to a new player entering the automotive market. While their products might not yet reach the top tier, there's real potential, especially if they can match Tata and Mahindra on price while offering superior fit, finish, and quality control.

Many of the issues flagged in North American reviews of the VF8 seem to revolve around software glitches. It's reasonable to assume that the company is actively addressing these concerns, as no serious investor would enter a new market without a solid plan and confidence in their product's future.

Once they iron out the software kinks, there's every chance they could become strong competitors to the established brands. After all, innovation and improvement are key drivers in any industry. So, let's keep an open mind and see where this takes them.
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 15:59   #26
BHPian

Most of these car makers even including Indian ones in EV space are going to get blown away if BYD and MG bring their wide range to India.

If there is something lacking in either quality or not meeting the promises, it will be difficult for them to get a hold in the market. Also, not sure how Indians will embrace something from Vietnam.

Last edited by PreludeSH : 27th February 2024 at 16:03.
Old 27th February 2024, 16:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Most of these car makers even including Indian ones in EV space are going to get blown away if BYD and MG bring their wide range to India.
True that. I am really looking forward for BYD to bring in more models below Atto 3. They seem to be good value for money and are taking Tesla head on in Europe and China.
The new models look quite good without the "bling" of earlier models.
Old 15th April 2024, 15:51   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.autocarpro.in/news/vinfa...of-2024-120064

Aggressive timelines from Vinfast!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks