Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2023, 19:37   #1
BHPian

Pricing of just Rs 15.99 per kWh | Will Jio BP disrupt the EV charging market?

My experience at Jio BP charging hub. I was travelling back from Sirsa to Faridabad. My car reached Gurugram without a hitch, I decided to meet my brother in law before heading further home. There was a Jio BP charging hub at opus medley mall near his place. So I decide to try the same, the location has 8 DC 60 KW DC fact chargers (2x8 - 16 connectors in total), 2 - 30 KW GBT chargers, 3 - 11 KW AC chargers and 96 plug points.

The location is in the B2 level of the mall and the mall is on the upcoming Dwarka expressway. The location is predominantly used Blusmart as a charging hub. There are some food joints in the mall for a quick meal.

The charges for charging were Rs. 15.99 + taxes per KWH

Some images and video of the location

Pricing of just Rs 15.99 per kWh | Will Jio BP disrupt the EV charging market?-whatsapp-image-20231024-13.24.52.jpeg

Pricing of just Rs 15.99 per kWh | Will Jio BP disrupt the EV charging market?-whatsapp-image-20231024-13.24.21.jpeg

ferrarirules is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 12:52   #2
BHPian

Re: BHPians experience on EV Charging Stations across India (especially non-metros)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
The charges for charging were Rs. 15.99 + taxes per KWH
Excluding the electricity company operated charging stations, I think this is one of the lowest charging rates for private CPO. They have been bombarding with messages about the reduction. Hope the lower rates are here to stay, but didn't expect reduction so soon.

I think it may move to dynamic pricing as well, i.e. higher rates and/or additional time based charges during peak hours.
wocanak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 14:29   #3
BHPian

Re: BHPians experience on EV Charging Stations across India (especially non-metros)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
Excluding the electricity company operated charging stations, I think this is one of the lowest charging rates for private CPO. They have been bombarding with messages about the reduction. Hope the lower rates are here to stay, but didn't expect reduction so soon.

I think it may move to dynamic pricing as well, i.e. higher rates and/or additional time based charges during peak hours.
JIO is JIO, they know only one way to capture market. Undercut the market, wait for some weaker player to die or get acquired post that rule the market.

I agree dynamic pricing is where major private players will land up after market maturity,
ferrarirules is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 15:40   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
JIO is JIO, they know only one way to capture market. Undercut the market, wait for some weaker player to die or get acquired post that rule the market.

I agree dynamic pricing is where major private players will land up after market maturity,
This is digressing from the topic but has Jio done that in the telecom sector? I thought that they are still very inexpensive?
Old 8th November 2023, 12:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
This is digressing from the topic but has Jio done that in the telecom sector? I thought that they are still very inexpensive?
They have definitely increased the price, I remember the first few years the 1/1.5GB per day annual plan was ~2400 and there were discounts on top of that. I clearly remember an offer for Rs 2020 in 2020.

Today their 1.5GB/day plan is ~2765 for an year, so 15% to 35% hike. They may still be inexpensive, but who knows what would have happened if Vodafone was not bailed out by the government (dues converted to equity).
wocanak is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 10:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Excluding the electricity company operated charging stations, I think this is one of the lowest charging rates for private CPO.
Another private CPO, GoEC having stations primarily in Kerala has a per unit pricing of 12.71/kWh making it Rs 15 incl GST.
varkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 09:45   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Pricing of just Rs 15.99 per kWh | Will Jio BP disrupt the EV charging market?

Thanks for sharing, ferrarirules! Moving your post out to a new thread as this could be an interesting discussion. A new thread means 100X the views & 100X the visibility in search engines, including Google. Will add to homepage later this week .

@ BHPians, if you should spot any good post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility.

Thank you!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 17:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

re: Pricing of just Rs 15.99 per kWh | Will Jio BP disrupt the EV charging market?

Yes, I got a similar message a few weeks ago. Also, I won't be surprised if each Jio fuel station gets an EV charger. I was talking to someone last time during one recharge, and that guy was pretty confident about this.

Not many can create and disrupt infrastructure as Reliance does.
Turbanator is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 19:52   #9
BANNED

I hope they scale to highways as much as they are scaling in the city, In Bengaluru, they have lot of hubs spread out.
Here's one..
Pricing of just Rs 15.99 per kWh | Will Jio BP disrupt the EV charging market?-whatsapp-image-20231106-19.47.29_756d32ea.jpg

This one has 30 CCS2 chargers of 60KW, 3 Type2 chargers and 135 16A sockets.

Last edited by DarthVeda : 13th November 2023 at 19:53.
DarthVeda is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 22:21   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
I hope they scale to highways as much as they are scaling in the city, In Bengaluru, they have lot of hubs spread out.
Here's one..
Attachment 2530831

This one has 30 CCS2 chargers of 60KW, 3 Type2 chargers and 135 16A sockets.
Where is this? And, why would anyone use a 16amp socket and slow charge?

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th November 2023 at 21:42. Reason: Fixing quote tag. Please proof read and format your posts before submitting them.
nidhikapoor is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th November 2023, 13:36   #11
BHPian

Re: Pricing of just Rs 15.99 per kWh | Will Jio BP disrupt the EV charging market?

Quote:
Cars are not the only EVs around.
2 wheelers and 3 wheeler autos.
The latter prefer to charge out of plug sockets.
May not be many of them on the highways, but still.

Last edited by GTO : 14th November 2023 at 20:59. Reason: Fixing quote
sushanthys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 13:58   #12
BHPian

Re: Pricing of just Rs 15.99 per kWh | Will Jio BP disrupt the EV charging market?

Quote:
16A sockets can also be used for slow-charging EVs. People without slow charging facilities (residing in apartments or rented houses) can be used. People working in nearby offices can utilize this during the day time.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th November 2023 at 21:57. Reason: Fixing quote.
Old 14th November 2023, 14:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
They may still be inexpensive, but who knows what would have happened if Vodafone was not bailed out by the government (dues converted to equity).
I don't think much has changed (atleast till a year ago).
Attached Thumbnails
Pricing of just Rs 15.99 per kWh | Will Jio BP disrupt the EV charging market?-fg9ybd5akamikmx.jpeg  

NewUser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 16:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:

I know it is a popular notion that Jio won out only by undercutting its rivals and that's how they win everywhere.

Gaining market share by lowering prices has been a well-studied strategy and is nothing new. Now more than ever capital is abundant and it's not a strategy that can only be employed by a few individuals.

More often than not price discounting fails. We have already seen it play out with Uber/Ola here in India quite recently. Once the discounts stop, your competitors come back and you have just burnt tons of money from your pocket without anything to show for it.

Price discounting works when you back it up with some revolutionary technology that helps you dramatically lower costs on a higher scale.

In Jio's case that revolutionary technology was a 4G only telecom play with a massive focus on data. This helped them provide 100x+ scale in terms of GBs served compared to their competitors for whom data was a small part of the business. They were happy to milk this small share by pricing data at Rs 250 per GB etc. That's why in spite of competitors exiting and price increases, we still pay a fraction of the price we used to pay a decade ago.

In the auto world, it's Tesla that is doing this now where the focus is not on being super profitable but on churning out higher volumes of cars so that they can advance on the curve of wright's law. Specifically, it states that for every cumulative doubling of units produced, costs will fall by a constant percentage. The further out ahead you are on that curve, the harder it gets for your competitors to catch up.

My prediction is that the price cut by Jio for EV charging will not be very successful for them. Today, price plays a very trivial role in deciding where I want to charge. There are so many other factors such as reliability, high quality food, clean washrooms, and the location of the charging station on the route I am traveling on.

Most of Jio's EV chargers are in petrol stations where clean washrooms and good food are generally not available. The problem is bigger for Tata vehicles which typically spend more than an hour charging. Not coupling it with meals significantly impacts your journey time.

In the future when we have abundance of charging options and high speed charging for budget cars, it is a strategy that can potentially work but not today
shyampsunder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 17:40   #15
BANNED

Quote:
This is at Falcon Football Academy at HSR, adjacent to Hosur road. with respect to 16A socket, all 3W charge using that itself.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks