Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2024, 10:13   #16
BHPian

Re: Tesla Roadster will do 0-60 mph in under 1 second, claims Elon Musk

Elon Musk had previously mentioned that the Roadster will feature cold gas thrusters as a part of a collaboration with SpaceX. The aforementioned sub 1s 0-60mph figure in all likeliness includes this feature which is most likely not road legal and would remain a party trick for the drag strip like their Plaid’s “Cheetah Stance”.

Without the literal jet thrusters enabled, it will most probably accelerate at the same rate as a Rimac Nevera with a 1.85s 0-60mph figure.

They could also implement the active downforce generation feature akin to the McMurtry Spéirling which uses a suction fan to create a vacuum underneath the car and generates a huge amount to downforce even when standstill resulting in an impressive 1.4s 0-60mph figure despite being a 1000hp RWD. Pair this tech with AWD and 2000hp similar to the Nevera/Battista and you’ve most likely got yourself a sub 1s car. Not sure about the road legality of this feature either.
Kevinrevvz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 10:40   #17
vij
BHPian

Ṭō achieve those speeds, there must be some mechanism to exert downward force on the tyres, otherwise sub 2 sec will be very difficult as the tyres would not be able to grip the road to move the car fast enough.
vij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 11:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
According to reports, the production version of the Tesla Roadster is finally set to be unveiled later this year.
Elon Musk even went on to claim that Tesla Roadster will be capable of sprinting from 0-60 mph (0-98 km/h) in less than 1.0 second.
Would love to try this out on the Marathahalli Junction ORR stretch on a wednesday morning.
WindRide is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 11:53   #19
BHPian

When my friend was purchasing a flat, the pushy agent gave all sorts of reasons like from here you can go to xyz in 15 minutes.. My friends had a nice sense of humour and he asked back, "but what will i do when i reach xyz" ? This article reminded me of the above incident. If i reach 100 in 1 second and save 9 seconds what am i going to do with those 9 seconds?
autobahnjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 12:22   #20
BHPian

Under one sec to a 100km/hr is rather ridiculous.

Genuine safety hazard at that speed not just for the driver but for other road users. Also going by Tesla's previous record, I am sure this time comes with a lot of "conditions apply".

Will probably still be the fastest accelerating car on the planet.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 12:29   #21
BHPian

Linking a Jalopnik article which really explains how bonkers Elon’s claim it. Begs me to ask, is it even considered a ‘car’ at this point?

https://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-roads...-se-1851294897
revsperminute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 13:22   #22
BHPian

Here's what 0-100 km/h in under a second looks like.

Quote:
At world record pace, a lightweight driver in here pulls 3.8 Gs peak acceleration
CentreOfGravity is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 21:56   #23

Since there were a few mentions of the Rimac Nevera in this thread, I am attaching a comment made by Mate Rimac about the Roadster's specs.

Quote:
"...it is possible with thrusters. We did the simulation. Problem is, you release the air in 2-3 seconds and then you have a lot of dead weight that you are carrying around (tanks, compressor, valves, nozzles etc.). Same with fans - they just give you more grip but you need something like 30.000 Nm on the wheels to accelerate below 1 sec 0-100 km/h which means you need massive motors, inverters, gearboxes, driveshafts etc. Plus, the car has to be super light as otherwise you can’t create a lot of excess downforce with the fans as the tires would be overloaded very fast with any kind of car with “normal supercar” weight, especially electric. And then again you are carrying the weight with you when you are not doing 0-100. So thrusters are really the only way to go. But bring a lot of downsides as well."
Link to Mate Rimac's Facebook comment:
https://www.facebook.com/mate.rimac/...ref=embed_post
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla Roadster will do 0-60 mph in under 1 second, claims Elon Musk-mate-rimacs-comments-tesla-roadster.png  

apex is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks