Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2024, 12:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla Roadster will do 0-60 mph in under 1 second, claims Elon Musk

According to reports, the production version of the Tesla Roadster is finally set to be unveiled later this year.

Elon Musk, CEO, Tesla took to social media platform X (formerly Twitter) to announce that the brief for the car has "radically increased" and promises that "there will never be another car like this".

Tesla Roadster will do 0-60 mph in under 1 second, claims Elon Musk-teslaroadster.jpg

Elon Musk even went on to claim that Tesla Roadster will be capable of sprinting from 0-60 mph (0-98 km/h) in less than 1.0 second. This is a drastic increase in performance compared to the specifications released back in 2017 when it claimed a 0-60 mph time of 1.9 seconds, 2.3 seconds to reach 100 mph, a top speed of over 250 mph and a driving range of 620 miles (1000 km).

The specifications of the production version Tesla Roadster are also significantly quicker than the Rimac Nevera, which sprints from 0-62 mph in 1.95 seconds - currently the world's fastest accelerating production car.

With the unveil scheduled later this year, Tesla is aiming to begin deliveries of the Roadster in 2025.

Source: Autocar UK

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 13:04   #2
BHPian

Re: Tesla Roadster will do 0-60 mph in under 1 second, claims Elon Musk

0-100 in less than 1 second or there about is going to be very uncomfortable, not sure if cars need to be made faster than they already are for regular use, I feel this is all about optics for Tesla in terms of ticking the sub 1 second 0-100 time!
abaliga is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 13:31   #3
BHPian

Oh god, I didn't think I'd say this, but-
Isn't that TOO fast? At this point, would'nt the sheer G-force generated lead to some people blacking out? Maybe I'm stupid. (However, I'm sure BHPian @GForceEnjoyer would love it )

With electric cars, the metric of how quick a car is in it's acceleration seems to have been rendered obsolete to be honest.

Last edited by Dosa : 29th February 2024 at 13:44.
Dosa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 13:34   #4
BHPian

That's pushing the boundary way too far. Imagine reaching 100 km/h in the blink of an eye, literally. The kind of G-forces one would encounter is crazy! Your body will go flat and all your internal organs will pretty much turn into tomato puree if you come out alive. Ideal for someone trying to get their body in shape

The above holds true if the car is launched with the promised specs, that is. Remember Tesla's promises about the Cybertruck in 2019? Ultimately they went back on their promises, whatever the reasons may be. I expect something similar to happen with the Roadster. There's a limit to which physics can be defied. In case they do manage to pull it off though, good luck getting out of the Roadster in one piece.

For the life of me, I don't understand why OEMs are racing with each other (pun unintended) to be faster than the other by 0.0001 second to a ton. What are they trying to prove? Their engineering prowess? My foot!
CentreOfGravity is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 14:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentreOfGravity View Post
The kind of G-forces one would encounter is crazy! Your body will go flat and all your internal organs will pretty much turn into tomato puree if you come out alive. Ideal for someone trying to get their body in shape
96kmph in 1 second would be around 2.7G, which is not that high compared to fighter jets.
Samurai is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 14:31   #6
BHPian

It was 2017, when it was unveiled. And 7 years later, we have a nudge, it’s coming next year. The day it was unveiled it was a really great looking car with great specs. Let’s see what level of improvements they have done to get the promised figures. We have the Rimac Nevera already rolling on streets with many records in its hands. Roadster has an opponent to beat.
Old 29th February 2024, 14:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
96kmph in 1 second would be around 2.7G, which is not that high compared to fighter jets.
Ah, that's pretty mangeable! It's maybe a little more than what one would experience in an elevator. So I am stupid after all .
Dosa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 15:28   #8
BHPian

I would be absolutely amazed if the roadster can genuinely put down power that well. 0-60 in less than a second would be quite a feat. It will be impressive if it gets close to this time off a prepped drag-strip too.

Let's see what's been cooking at Tesla since they promised this car in 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosa View Post
At this point, would'nt the sheer G-force generated lead to some people blacking out? (However, I'm sure BHPian @GForceEnjoyer would love it )
You would be absolutely right! I guess I just need to somehow get myself into a Roadster now...
GForceEnjoyer is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 16:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
I would be absolutely amazed if the roadster can genuinely put down power that well. 0-60 in less than a second would be quite a feat. It will be impressive if it gets close to this time off a prepped drag-strip too.
Apparently, the fastest jet on Earth can reach a maximum of 3 Gs. If Tesla manages to pull off a sub-1 second time to a 100 km/h, it would be a great achievement indeed. But I'm not sure I'm excited, because the "spec sheet competition" is going too far. Who knows, may be in the next decade someone will claim that their car will do 0-100 in close to 0 seconds
Quote:
It is a common misconception that maximum aircraft speed and maximum G-force loads the aircraft can create are related—but that's not necessarily true. For example, the SR-71 Blackbird is the fastest jet on earth, capable of reaching a speed of nearly 2,200 miles per hour. However, it can only withstand a maximum of 3 Gs, which is far less than a fighter jet or fastest aerobatic plane.
Quote:
However, I'm sure BHPian @GForceEnjoyer would love it
To be honest, I too thought about him when I was typing my earlier post
CentreOfGravity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 16:22   #10
BHPian

I think most people don't realize that the 0-100 in less than 1s is not for you or me - heck it's possibly not even for 99% of super wealthy. Or whether it's comfortable as a car or feels like a Rollercoaster!

What it is instead is a statement that they CAN indeed achieve something like that. It's bragging rights that makes you marvel at how technologically advanced Tesla is. Like the initial roadster unveil was done several years ago with no such car ever being unveiled. But what they were able to achieve by that is what followed afterwards - Sales of all the other regular vehicles.

For someone who wants to understand that further, YouTube Hagerty Camissa's video of Tesla roadster 8 months ago.

Not dissimilar to why they built the Cybertruck in the first place.

With this statement, the BYD's supercar that was unveiled today, however awesome it is in its own right is a little less so, don't you think?

Last edited by Hume : 29th February 2024 at 16:40.
Hume is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 19:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
I'm sure Tesla would find a way to deliver this achievement in the most dubious way possible. Much like they did with the Cybertruck when they claimed it beat a Porsche 911 in a 1/4 mile while towing another 911-

but it was disproven pretty quickly-

Quote:
Apparently, the fastest jet on Earth can reach a maximum of 3 Gs. If Tesla manages to pull off a sub-1 second time to a 100 km/h, it would be a great achievement indeed.
Well, while it would be an impressive achievement, the metric of comparison to Lockheed Martin's Blackbird would be unfair since it was merely a reconnaissance aircraft, and not mean to engage in any combat or evasive maneuvers. When encountering missiles or similar aerial threats, it's strategy was to simply accelerate and outpace the missile! While this sounds super-cool, it simply alludes to the fact that the aircraft wasn't meant to undergo any fancy maneuvers. It had massive panel gaps and leaked fuel constantly when on the ground as they had to account for the metal expanding due to heat when the aircraft was in the air. It was meant for speed, and as you have quoted, speed isn't exactly related to the degree of Gs one can experience.

2Gs- or even 3 for that matter- are really not that big of a deal. It's about as much Gs you experience when you sneeze too hard. It's much less than what Formula One drivers experience, which is about 5-6Gs. Fighter jets (as you have mentioned in your quote) can withstand upto 9Gs, and so can their pilots!

Quote:
But I'm not sure I'm excited, because the "spec sheet competition" is going too far.
I completely agree. It isn't about how quick cars are anymore, it's about how they make us feel. A Kia EV6 is as fast as some of the super cars of yester years, but it doesn't hold a fraction of the substance. And that's something EVs will always lack. It's not about how fast or how quick to 100 a car is, it's about how it gets to that speed(as cheesy as it sounds).

Last edited by Dosa : 29th February 2024 at 19:23.
Dosa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 19:20   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2Gs- or even 3 for that matter- are really not that big of a deal. It's about as much Gs you experience when you sneeze too hard. It's much less than what Formula One drivers experience, which is about 5-6Gs. Fighter jets as you have mentioned in your quote can withstand upto 9Gs, and so can their pilots!
Yup, there are theme park roller coasters that do over 5Gs.

https://rollercoaster.fandom.com/wik...Roller_Coaster
Old 29th February 2024, 20:21   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
I completely agree. It isn't about how quick cars are anymore, it's about how they make us feel.

A Kia EV6 is as fast as some of the super cars of yester years, but it doesn't hold a fraction of the substance. And that's something EVs will always lack. It's not about how fast or how quick to 100 a car is, it's about how it gets to that speed(as cheesy as it sounds).
Nowadays there is far too much hype about BHP and Torque figures and all this hyped up hypercar stuff. Yes part of the magic is how the car makes you feel. It’s ‘soul’ as it were.

However, we cannot make a blanket statement as condemning as the one stating that Kia EV6 does not hold a fraction of the substance…etc. It is substantial in its own way.

And ICE cars and EV’s use different technologies and alternate fuels to get to those speeds, so one cannot really say one is better than the other. It is very subjective, being a matter of personal preference. And some of the consumers may very well like and own both ICE and EV.

This is not a Zero: One or Black: White thing. There are plenty of positives and negatives on both sides.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 09:20   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Typical mid range cars already have 0-100 kmh times of 6 to 12 seconds.
Typical mid range cars have an everage top speed of 160 to 180 kmh.
How often do you get to use these types of figures on a public road. In reality, never as it would be reckless, dangerous and illegal.
Most countries have a rule like this :

70.11 UNREASONABLE ACCELERATION.
(A) No person shall start or accelerate any motor vehicle with an unnecessary exhibition of speed on any public highway, street, parking lot, alley, or other public property, or upon any private street or road freely used by the general public.

While there may not be a specific rule for "acceleration". Doing 0-100 kmh in 2 seconds could be considered reckless, dangerous, driving without due care and attention or even racing. Cars should be restricted to 0-100 kmh times of 6 seconds. This could be de-restricted at an approved "track day event".

Why do we have road going cars that can touch 500 kmh !!! I think all road going vehicles should be electronically limited to 140 kmh. This could be de-restricted at an approved "track day event"
Redex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 09:22   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Fighter pilots are trained and they wear G-suits that makes sure the blood does not go above their knees (so they don't get conked out due to dizziness).

For us normal human beings who are neither trained nor wear g-suits while driving, it's plain suicidal to drive a car that does 0-60mph in 1 second.

I drive a 0-60mph (3.1 Seconds) Tesla Model 3 Performance and it not only scares the pants of me but, also all the 4 passengers who sat in the car during the launch. The way it launches is not for the faint hearted and will induce vomit and high heart-beats due to instant thrust.

I can only imagine the 1-second Roadster which will demolish normal people's body organs and in my opinion should not be made road legal.
mobike008 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks