Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2024, 15:22   #1
BHPian

EV owners, what is the lowest AEC (Average Energy Consumption) you have achieved?

All EV owners out there - we’re talking AEC here! What is the lowest you have achieved?

I managed a princely 1 watt hour /km. Now, before you think that’s all bollocks let me explain. This happened on a recent drive from Manipal to Mangalore in my Nexon EV Max. Those of you familiar with the terrain will recall going downhill from Manipal to Udupi. I reset the trip meter at the start of the journey. And thanks to Regen, the AEC kept dropping till it reached the end of the downhill, a little past Udupi on highway 169A.

Left me wondering if the reading will have turned negative if the downhill stretch had lasted a wee bit longer!

How low have you gone? Post it here!

EV owners, what is the lowest AEC (Average Energy Consumption) you have achieved?-img_2042.jpeg

Last edited by graaja : 24th May 2024 at 16:23. Reason: Inserting picture
navinmra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 15:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: EV owners, what is the lowest AEC (Average Energy Consumption) you have achieved?

Only 97 WH/KM. Alas Delhi NCR is all flattish roads
My long term average across seasons is about 105 WH/KM.

Car: Tiago EV
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 19:05   #3
BHPian

Re: EV owners, what is the lowest AEC (Average Energy Consumption) you have achieved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Only 97 WH/KM. Alas Delhi NCR is all flattish roads
My long term average across seasons is about 105 WH/KM.

Car: Tiago EV
This is impressive! My average in Bangalore is around 110-115, given the terrible stop and go crawling traffic.
navinmra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 09:42   #4
BHPian

Re: EV owners, what is the lowest AEC (Average Energy Consumption) you have achieved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navinmra View Post
All EV owners out there - we’re talking AEC here! What is the lowest you have achieved?

I usually reset to calculate round trip data, so no mesmerizing downhill data.

Lowest
Hypermiling: 60Wh/km (16.5KWh/km)
Highway Driving: 76Wh/km (13.5KWh/km)
City Driving/Short Drives: 90Wh/km(11km/KWh)

Averages:
Highway Driving: Around 87Wh/km (11.5km/KWh)
City Driving/Short Drives: Around 100Wh/km(10km/KWh)
EV Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 11:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Fan View Post
Likewise. I just wanted to be cheeky and reset just before downhill and get some unreal numbers

Quote:
Averages:
This is my experience as well - highway driving gets better efficiency than city - and it’s counter intuitive to what is usually true for the west. That’s because in India traffic in our cities come to a grinding halt every few hundred metres. That start and stop driving consumes the most energy bringing efficiency down. And contrary to the west you can still drive at 80 kmph on our highways in India and get a ton of efficiency. As you know, wind resistance grows exponentially as speed increases and therefore efficiency also drops exponentially.

Last edited by graaja : 27th May 2024 at 09:39. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use the Edit or Multiquote options
Old 25th May 2024, 11:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

My best in the Nexon LR has been 119wh/km.

Unfortunately, those days are long gone. In the brutal heat these days, the car is struggling at over 200wh/km. I got in just 170km out of my last charge, 100-9%
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 12:53   #7
BHPian

Tiago EV

Lowest highways 94whkm @ 85kmph 700km round trip
City is 115whkm @ varied speeds 1000 odd km trip

Now things are super worse due to the weather
130-150 whkm every charge cycle. I dunno what is wrong and what this will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

Unfortunately, those days are long gone. In the brutal heat these days, the car is struggling at over 200wh/km. I got in just 170km out of my last charge, 100-9%
Yeah mate in same boat. My tiago LR was doing 200+ km per charge cycle 100-10% now it’s struggles to deliver 150-160 per charge cycle 100-10%

Last edited by graaja : 27th May 2024 at 09:38. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use Edit or Multiquote options
Old 25th May 2024, 14:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

On a related note, my Zconnect app shows nearly 26% energy being used by A/c, up from 9% just a few months back.

That also gets me to think that the BMS uses total current drawn to compute the WattHr per km, and not the current drawn by the motor. Which seems logical. On the other hand, the ZConnect app always shows lower Watt hr rating than the dashboard, possibly using the the current drawn by the motor for calculation of AEC. Let me verify this today - driving from Manipal to Bangalore. Timely trip indeed!
navinmra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 13:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Lowest
Hypermiling: 60Wh/km (16.5KWh/km)
Highway Driving: 76Wh/km (13.5KWh/km)
City Driving/Short Drives: 90Wh/km(11km/KWh)

Averages:
Honestly I did not understand this
Hypermiling : 60Wh/km (16.5 Kwh/km) would it be 60/1000 = 0.06 KWh/km
Highway driving : 76 Wh/km would it be 76/1000 = 0.76 KWh/km
or is there a typo
Old 26th May 2024, 13:21   #10
BHPian

Quick update from the trip from Manipal to Bangalore -
Distance: 415 km
AEC on the dashboard: 123 watt hr per km
AEC per Zconnect app: 98.4 watt hr per km

That’s a 20 plus percent difference (btw it’s been this way all the while). Just need to investigate what the 24.5 watt hr per km difference is about. I don’t think the a/c and other accessories consume that much considering that Zconnect app put it at around 3.3%. Yes, I drove from 5:30 PM through 5 AM through the ghats where ambient temperatures after the rains were 21 degrees and thereabouts, so the harsh summer is behind us!

Other Nexon owners - do your AEC readings differ from dashboard v/s app like mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Honestly I did not understand this
Hypermiling : 60Wh/km (16.5 Kwh/km) would it be 60/1000 = 0.06 KWh/km
Highway driving : 76 Wh/km would it be 76/1000 = 0.76 KWh/km
or is there a typo
I think it is 16.5 km per kWatt (inverse of watt hr /km). This measurement is very prevalent in Europe.

Last edited by graaja : 27th May 2024 at 09:40. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use Edit or Multiquote options
navinmra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 15:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:

I managed a princely 1 watt hour /km. Now, before you think that’s all bollocks let me explain. This happened on a recent drive from Manipal to Mangalore in my Nexon EV Max. Those of you familiar with the terrain will recall going downhill from Manipal to Udupi. I reset the trip meter at the start of the journey. And thanks to Regen, the AEC kept dropping till it reached the end of the downhill, a little past Udupi on highway 169A.

Left me wondering if the reading will have turned negative if the downhill stretch had lasted a wee bit longer!

Attachment 2609025
How did you get this ? Last time I did such a descent (Nelliyampathi) I got 50 wh/km (it never went below 50) when the car actually regained some of the charge (64 % SoC at start to 68% SoC at end of the descent). I got the impression that they do not ever go below 50 wh/km in Nexon
Old 26th May 2024, 20:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
How did you get this ? Last time I did such a descent (Nelliyampathi) I got 50 wh/km (it never went below 50) when the car actually regained some of the charge (64 % SoC at start to 68% SoC at end of the descent). I got the impression that they do not ever go below 50 wh/km in Nexon
I reset the trip meter just at the start of the descent. It was a straight road with a mild but continuous gradient, so I was either coasting or braking all through the descent, and never stepped on the accelerator. The whole show lasted only a few minutes and was enough to tumble the numbers I think the trick is to find that sort of continuous slope with low traffic.
navinmra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 22:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I reset the trip meter just at the start of the descent. It was a straight road with a mild but continuous gradient, so I was either coasting or braking all through the descent, and never stepped on the accelerator.
Okey I see. I too did a reset of the trip meter to know what would happen when there is a
gain in SoC but did use the accelerator in between (it was not fully down hill). Logically they should have shown negative efficiency (because I did gain in SoC). Now I have started doubting their efficiency calculations.

Last edited by electric_eel : 26th May 2024 at 23:21. Reason: typol
Old 27th May 2024, 11:33   #14
BHPian

I have no idea how you folks are getting <120wh/km in Bangalore. I am stuck with ~135-140wh/km average lifetime. I have the Nexon Max.

My daily office usage is BTM to Koramangala and back in traffic hours morning-evening - avg. 12-13km each round trip. As local folks would know, this means crossing the infamous silk board, and some 4-5 signals, bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic. Here in monsoons (traffic increases) I get 150-165wh/km and otherwise around 140-150wh/km.

On highways, I get around 135-140wh/km where I generally drive speeds of 85-90 (below 80 is too drab for some of our amazing highways) and I generally keep cruise on, coz the thigh support on max is horrible for my seating. I also feel the energy consumption becomes higher after a fast charge (it maybe just my coincidental observation).

How differently do others drive? any tips? I'm saving money, I have no complaints. I sometime like to have fun with the instant and superb torque, but above observations are outside of those scenarios. Although I would like to learn where I can be better. What different drive mode + regen combinations should I try to get better efficiency?

Last edited by alok9345 : 27th May 2024 at 11:34. Reason: added a detail
Old 27th May 2024, 13:58   #15
BHPian

My car (Tata Punch Empowered+ LR) averaged 115.1 Wh/km last month and I also drive in Bangalore (Indiranagar, Whitefield, Koramangala, central CBDs etc). I mostly use city mode but about for appx 15% of the total distance, I used eco mode.

There were hot days when the average was as high as ~135 Wh/km & then there were rainy days with lows of ~95 Wh/km. AC was being used throughout.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks