Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2024, 14:10   #16
BHPian

Re: EV owners, what is the lowest AEC (Average Energy Consumption) you have achieved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok9345 View Post

On highways, I get around 135-140wh/km where I generally drive speeds of 85-90 (below 80 is too drab for some of our amazing highways) and I generally keep cruise on, coz the thigh support on max is horrible for my seating.
On highways cruise control is not the best way to drive for efficiency. Also consider regen 0 driving.
electric_eel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 11:02   #17
BHPian

Re: EV owners, what is the lowest AEC (Average Energy Consumption) you have achieved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Honestly I did not understand this
Hypermiling : 60Wh/km (16.5 Kwh/km) would it be 60/1000 = 0.06 KWh/km
Highway driving : 76 Wh/km would it be 76/1000 = 0.76 KWh/km
or is there a typo
Quote:
Originally Posted by navinmra View Post
I think it is 16.5 km per kWatt (inverse of watt hr /km). This measurement is very prevalent in Europe.
Sorry, for the typo. It is 16.5km/KWh.

On a side note, my average while driving in city has been lower than my regular 90Wh/km for the past few days. Thanks to the rain lashing out here in Kerala.

Quote:
Likewise. I just wanted to be cheeky and reset just before downhill and get some unreal numbers
Need to check how the Kona measures it.
The last such recorded measurement in Hills was at Nelliampathi in Kerala.
The cumulative going up & down was 85Wh/km (11.68km/KWh) with AC & solo drive.
Going up was 212.8Wh/km(4.70km/KWh) and coming down reduced the cumulative AEC from 212 to 92Wh/km. So technically a regen of 35.64Wh/km downhill.
Charge had risen from 68% to 71%. So that's a 1.2Kwh increase for a 39.2 KWh battery.
Old 30th May 2024, 06:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaser View Post

There were hot days when the average was as high as ~135 Wh/km & then there were rainy days with lows of ~95 Wh/km. AC was being used throughout.
These numbers are great. You can officially be called an EV hypermiler with these numbers! I see Punch owners reporting lower AEC numbers than Nexon. It perhaps has to do with lower weight at a better Gen 2 architecture.
Just curious, do you keep Regen at 0? Does your efficiency change with traffic conditions?
Old 30th May 2024, 07:04   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
On highways cruise control is not the best way to drive for efficiency. Also consider regen 0 driving.
Heard a lot of weird things about regen 0. How much better is it than the others?
Old 30th May 2024, 09:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Not strictly related to the topic, but from my 20000 kms of experience with the EV now, I am averse to using Regen 0. The lowest I go down to is Regen 1, but most of the time I am at Regen 3.

The reason I don't like Regen 0 is quite akin to why many of us will not let an ICE car coast with the clutch engaged.
Moreover I am admittedly a somewhat aggressive driver with sharp accel/decel, so having an active powertrain and brake engagement is safer for my style of driving.
Old 30th May 2024, 10:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -istormoll View Post
Heard a lot of weird things about regen 0. How much better is it than the others?
In open highways regen 0 is a significant factor. I would say could easily make a difference of 5-10 wh/km for nexon max (and some times even more). Also during climbs, you do want to have regen set to 0 as the car slows down any way when taking your foot of the accelerator. You do not want the regen to further slow you down unnecessarily. Admittedly you need to get used to the surreal feeling of coasting and need to be extra defensive in your approach to driving. It could be that the regen 0 driving style is making you more efficient than regen 0 per se.

If you are interested in the efficiency tricks check out the thread by EV_Fan:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...e-range-2.html (EV-Specific efficiency quirks & tricks to improve range)

More importantly I like it not so much for its efficiency but for the smoothness of the resulting drive. Heavy regen and winding roads (typical kerala driving route) are a recipe for motion sickness.
Old 30th May 2024, 14:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
do you keep Regen at 0? Does your efficiency change with traffic conditions?
I use regen-1 as that is the default for city mode. I have sometimes used eco mode & had initially planned to use my car on eco mode throughout but since I tended to forget, it is being driven mostly in city mode.
Old 1st June 2024, 02:15   #23
BANNED

Quote:
In open highways regen 0 is a significant factor. I would say could easily make a difference of 5-10 wh/km for nexon max (and some times even more). Also during climbs, you do want to have regen set to 0 as the car slows down any way when taking your foot of the accelerator. You do not want the regen to further slow you down unnecessarily. Admittedly you need to get used to the surreal feeling of coasting and need to be extra defensive in your approach to driving. It could be that the regen 0 driving style is making you more efficient than regen 0 per se.
It's quite possible, it's just that somehow I'm already used to it and defending it automatically

Last edited by graaja : 1st June 2024 at 05:16. Reason: Trimming quoted text. Please quote only a small or relevant part of a post.
Old 1st June 2024, 21:18   #24

Quote:

Other Nexon owners - do your AEC readings differ from dashboard v/s app like mine?
I Have Nexon EV Empowered MR and same is the case here.The AEC on Trip meter and ZConnect
are different,still searching for a reason.
Old 2nd June 2024, 08:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJdrives View Post
I Have Nexon EV Empowered MR and same is the case here.The AEC on Trip meter and ZConnect
are different,still searching for a reason.
Yes. I tried all kinds of math to explain the difference. But no luck so far. The dashboard ALWAYS shows a higher consumption than the app.
navinmra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 08:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
If you are interested in the efficiency tricks check out the thread by EV_Fan:
All tips and tricks of efficient driving learnt over 17k km didn’t help improve efficiency in yesterday’s mad Saturday evening Bangalore traffic with rains thrown in. Here are few things that played spoilsport:

1. Driving below creep speed: auto creep functionality tries to accelerate the car while you are trying to brake. There’s no Regen at this speed and all that energy is lost in friction braking

2. As a consequence coasting opportunity (with Regen 0) also vanishes, and you are either accelerating or braking at a very low speed.

3. Heavy foot takes over as calmness replaced by aggressive driving. Everyone jostles for space and tries to out navigate each other.

4. Google map detours take you on unfamiliar routes and you no longer can anticipate traffic like on familiar routes. This one in particular is very frustrating for me.

I can only imagine the toll it takes on ICE cars and their drivers. Not to mention pollution levels simply skyrocketing in these conditions as the engines are designed to be efficient and clean only at higher cruising speeds.
Old 2nd June 2024, 09:43   #27
BHPian

My ZConnect app consistently shows around ~115 Wh/km. In fact, my last part-month average was just 108.7 Wh/km.

EV owners, what is the lowest AEC (Average Energy Consumption) you have achieved?-perf.jpg

However, when I try to calculate manually, I get different results - see the data below:

Name:  Actual.png
Views: 41
Size:  5.5 KB

Obviously, there is some error in my calc. Can anyone point out where I might be going wrong?

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2024 at 10:04.
Quaser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 09:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
On Highways, I just checked the app, atleast on the Zconnect I'm seeing 120-130wh/km. This was my recent coorg trip. Maybe cruise increases it by 5-10wh/km, which I'm OK to live with because of the ergonomics of the car.

However, in bangalore, in the city mode with regen 0, which is what I've been using last 2-3 weeks, AC on 24.5 on auto.. The efficiency numbers are just abysmal - 170-180wh/km. What could I be doing wrong?
Old 2nd June 2024, 12:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok9345 View Post
However, in bangalore, in the city mode with regen 0, which is what I've been using last 2-3 weeks, AC on 24.5 on auto.. The efficiency numbers are just abysmal - 170-180wh/km. What could I be doing wrong?
Is the reading 170-180wh/km from ZConnect or manually calculated?
Old 2nd June 2024, 17:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaser View Post
Is the reading 170-180wh/km from ZConnect or manually calculated?
On zconnect it’s 180wh/km and my calculated avg is 177wh/km.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks