Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: CD's going bad, just lying in the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Of course, keeping the CD cover in the driver side pocket will protect it from heat.

Temp. in the dashboard increases much more because the dash (plastic) heats up.

A driver side-pocket has very less chance of being directly exposed to sunlight so shouldn't be a problem for CDs.
Great ! Thanks libranof1987 for the advice.

From today i will keep CD folder to driver side pocket. Hope it will work. Should i remove the playing CD in the stereo also before going away from the car? Some times i dont use car for continuous 2-3 days & CD is just lying in the player. I guess it will also effect the CD.
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:42   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: CD's going bad, just lying in the car

I have just the solution for you : Get a digital music player (e.g. iPod)

Seriously, I was big on CDs too, and found it hard to change the way I listened to music. One weekend, I started transferring all my CDs to the Pod and haven't looked back since. You can't beat the sheer convenience of an MP3 player...carry your entire collection in your pocket, back it up, set playlists and no wear & tear of your music files!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Now a days having music in car is a very basic thing.
Quote:
Many cars comes loaded with factory fitted Music system.
Quote:
All music systems comes with CD / MP3 players now.
All three points applicable to USB / Aux / iPod support too.
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:31   #18
Team-BHP Support

Re: CD's going bad, just lying in the car

Quote:
Great ! Thanks libranof1987 for the advice.

From today i will keep CD folder to driver side pocket. Hope it will work. Should i remove the playing CD in the stereo also before going away from the car? Some times i dont use car for continuous 2-3 days & CD is just lying in the player. I guess it will also effect the CD.
There is no harm as such keeping a CD in the player itself; I bet almost everyone leaves them on.

Only problem is, it catches a lot of dust; especially if you're among those who doesn't use the a/c all the time.
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

+

ICE CD pull mechanism is different from the conventional CD player (tray). Dust+this mechanism add damages to the CD. I have iPod still prefer CDs, but observed the damages. Now original CDs are used in home audio system (with occasional visit to car).
Old 4th May 2011, 10:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ... Generally i use AC most of the times. Specially in dusty conditions i always use AC. As far as CD's are concerned i always put clean CD's in the player. I do clean them & then only use it. Anyways those are always in folder so don't get dusty.

I never used Aux port. I dont have any gadget to use in it. I think i need to buy one so that i can avoid such problems. Lets see when my budget allows me to buy one
Old 4th May 2011, 11:05   #21
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Checkout what Chennai heat did to a CD cover left in my car under the sun
Attachment 538941
Incredible.

These parts are made out of polystyrene(PS). PS will soften around 90+ Celcius. How did internal temperature of your car become so high?
Old 4th May 2011, 11:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I never used Aux port. I dont have any gadget to use in it. I think i need to buy one so that i can avoid such problems. Lets see when my budget allows me to buy one
If you have an ear for detail, Aux port will never give you the same detailed sound as original CDs. The next best compromise is to covert all your original music CDs into high quality MP3(320kbps) and save them in a USB drive ( if your car audio has one) or write all these MP3s into CDs. That way you can save your original CDs for future usage in a diferent car or home audio system.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

please have a look at how your cd's are being made by your writer. use nero discspeed to determine the error after a fresh burn. If you have low to medium errors, the car cd player will compensate via error correction, but after a little heat and sunlight, the error rate may be pushed high enough for the error correction to be innefective. experiment with different media, writers and speeds to find that perfect combo
Old 4th May 2011, 13:24   #24
BHPian

1. Heat
2. Dust
3. Player quality
4. Handling / cleanliness

All these are enemies to CDs. I'm a great fan of music from CDs as they deliver wave data at high bit rates (min 160/192). Lucky, if you get songs with higher bit rates (220/320)

Now a days I would rip them and play it thru iPod. Though I can store only limited no of songs (high bit rate = big file size) I'm happy this way. Keep a high quality AUX connectors (gold plated types).

This hassle is better than losing data due to negligence etc. And you can store the CDs at home as back ups
Old 4th May 2011, 17:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
If you have an ear for detail, Aux port will never give you the same detailed sound as original CDs.
+1 to that
I carry around 60 CDs in the car at all times; they are in 2 case logics which are kept under the driver/passenger seat; away from dust & heat. Have had no problems with CDs going bad so far
Old 4th May 2011, 17:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

If it is due to excessive heat, you may want to try one of those sun reflectors. By the way, do you have sun film installed and is it possible for you to park at an angle where the glass area is away from direct sunlight?
I agree that its more convenient to get an ipod/ similar device

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks