Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 12:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Symbian Belle on N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
As per the latest update, Symbian Belle will be available for the above mentioned phones on October 26th, 2011. Source -: gsmarena.com
This was a rumor, Nokia has confirmed that Belle is not coming on 26th Oct'11.
Old 11th October 2011, 13:44   #17
BHPian

Their ovi store has already moved on to the belle styling.

Anyway I live Anna and wouldn't really like to move to belle. Is there anyway I can update to belle and revert back to Anna if I dont like it?
Old 11th October 2011, 16:00   #18
BHPian

Symbian Belle not coming on 26th October.

... and I can already tell you that this one is just a rumor & definitely not happening.
As you all know we are NOT announcing any dates for our software updates in advance. Plus: At the moment our focus first is to get Symbian Anna out to our customers in the US, Canada & Australia. Symbian Belle IS coming - but definitely not on 26th October as some blogs are claiming.

Source: GSMArena
Symbian Belle won’t roll out on October 26 after all - GSMArena.com news

Old 12th October 2011, 13:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Their ovi store has already moved on to the belle styling.

Anyway I live Anna and wouldn't really like to move to belle. Is there anyway I can update to belle and revert back to Anna if I dont like it?
yes you can revert back to Anna from Belle. Just follow the videos on the net. Will post a link for my you tube video to showcase Belle.
Old 9th February 2012, 21:44   #20
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Finally its here

Just downloaded the Belle update.

Phone seems new now.

This is not an Over the Air update. You require a computer with the Nokia suite installed. Make sure you get the latest version I had the old Ovi one and it could not update, good that I didn't blow it up.

Make sure you make a backup of the contacts, bookmarks etc. (Suite might do it on its own though but still make sure you do it)
Images, Videos and other thing on the memory remained intact.

Enjoy.
Good move NOKIA hope to see such kind of support for a long time.

By the way, I completed my free music offer, any way to start it again?
Old 10th February 2012, 16:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Finally its here

Just downloaded the Belle update.

Phone seems new now.

Good move NOKIA hope to see such kind of support for a long time.

By the way, I completed my free music offer, any way to start it again?
@SRK

I just updated my N8 to Belle last night. While i love the new interface and icons and general overall improvements, I do have a problem. And a major one at that.
The update went off absolutely smoothly, no problems; restarted phone and it wouldn't connect to the wifi, wondered about it for a bit and figured i would need to put in all the settings/pw/etc again so didn't bother too much. After a while of playing around with it, i found there was absolutely no data connections whatsoever. Nothing, Nada, Zilch. No Wifi, No 3G data, no GSM data. Now my phone is updated and all but absolutely nothing about data. I spent a lot of the day trying to figure this out, googled away to glory but no solutions.

I am going to re-install sw this evening but any idea about this and how to resolve this.

Also, i finished my free music offer in November last year, no way of reactivating it again as far as I have explored.
Old 10th February 2012, 16:53   #22
BHPian

Even my free music offer is over, but I have new problem, I can't even play my music that has been downloaded from ovi store, any solution for this, I get the message that my licence has expired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
@SRK

I just updated my N8 to Belle last night. While i love the new interface and icons and general overall improvements, I do have a problem. And a major one at that.
The update went off absolutely smoothly, no problems; restarted phone and it wouldn't connect to the wifi, wondered about it for a bit and figured i would need to put in all the settings/pw/etc again so didn't bother too much. After a while of playing around with it, i found there was absolutely no data connections whatsoever. Nothing, Nada, Zilch. No Wifi, No 3G data, no GSM data. Now my phone is updated and all but absolutely nothing about data. I spent a lot of the day trying to figure this out, googled away to glory but no solutions.

I am going to re-install sw this evening but any idea about this and how to resolve this.

Also, i finished my free music offer in November last year, no way of reactivating it again as far as I have explored.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th February 2012 at 04:18. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 10th February 2012, 16:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
@SRK

Are you updating over the air or downloading through your computer? Download again through your computer and update your phone with new the newly downloaded image. Must be some random problem. Hope you have taken a backup before your first upgrade.
Old 10th February 2012, 17:36   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
Even my free music offer is over, but I have new problem, I can't even play my music that has been downloaded from ovi store, any solution for this, I get the message that my licence has expired.
This error comes up with you select the song right? I had this problem too when i hard reset my phone, but almost immediately after this step, it also gives me an option to download the licence. select yes or ok and it'll verify it will download the licence and the song plays normally after. Its a bit of a pain if you have a ton of songs, like i do, but this is one solution to do it OTA. the other option is to use the ovi music player on your comp, load all the songs you dled from ovi music and hit play. It will basically start downloading the licences one after the other. Slightly less painful then doing it on the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Are you updating over the air or downloading through your computer? Download again through your computer and update your phone with new the newly downloaded image. Must be some random problem. Hope you have taken a backup before your first upgrade.
Its not possible to use the OTA update for Belle so yes I dled the latest pc suite (V3.3.xx.xx) and installed it. Thankfully i have backups in multiple places and that should work out once i try again this evening. I found other users also who faced this problem and Nokia responded saying they are looking at a fix for this. Also read some other solutions of removing fsecure and formatting the memory card, i removed fsecure (available in ovi store) but the memory card formatting business seemed a little 'out there' to me. Nevertheless, i have a spare card lying around somewhere at home so i prolly try that too before i go in for the re-install. Wish me luck.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th February 2012 at 04:19. Reason: Fixed quotes
thewhiteknight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 00:58   #25
BHPian

As a follow up, I managed to get the data connections working again after the Belle update on the N8. Here is what I did post my last post.

1. removed fsecure-read somewhere that this was causing the phone to hang and removing this worked in getting the connections working again: didnt work for me.
2. Formatted the memory card-again, googled and read, was desperate enough by that time to get online again so tried it despite it making no sense: as expected, did not do anything.
3. Re-installed the update-did this once i got home: did not work, got hyper irritated, realized i was being silly and left my offending nokia at home, went out, chilled out with some buddies.
4. Googled some more-got home, googled some more, and then some and finally found a solution from the Nokia support forums. Apparently if you have a wireless monitor sw (I had the SPB Wireless Monitor), it would block data packets because it couldn't track it. Got some brilliant advice from the thread given below and lo and behold, i was back online.

For N8/Symbian Anna users having a problem with using the data connection (wifi and gprs/3G), try this:
Nokia Support Discussions - Possible solution for "Connection failed. Access d... - Nokia Support Discussions

@SRK: Phone does feel brilliant now, doesn't it?
@deepaktpatil: You were right, it was a silly random thing. Glad its resolved now. Strange how not being connected or online for even a day got me irritable enough to try something like formatting a memory card to fix it. Life is such.

Last edited by thewhiteknight : 11th February 2012 at 01:09.
thewhiteknight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 11:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
Nokia Europe - Nokia Europe looks at the section at Nokia Belle and Music Licenses , you can transfer the music back and it work, I just did that on my N-8 for all the 100 songs that I had before and its working(just 1 song got chopped off).

-Pramod
Old 11th February 2012, 15:17   #27
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Upgraded. Was smooth. No hiccups.
Keep Ovi login/passwd handy. Asks after reboot.
After upgrade, one need to sync contacts and messages. Rest all was intact.
Need to reconfigure all emails again.

First observation : Pull down curtain like in android. Little faster. Crisper colors.
Old 12th February 2012, 20:13   #28
BHPian

The official update it good but with lots of apps installed, the C: drive comes down to 50MB that's when the problem starts.

So, I've been using the custom firmwares. These are built over the official firmware with add-ons and modifications.

Example: Setting the browser cache to E: instead of C:

With this I have 228MB free and comes down to 140MB max with all my apps. Pretty cool.
Old 13th February 2012, 13:44   #29
BHPian

Came across this link which lists the improvements in Browser present on Symbian Belle.

What’s New In The Nokia Belle Browser | Wap Review
Old 15th February 2012, 21:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Will Symbian Belle install & work on E 7? It seems there is no option at present to upgrade Anna to Belle on E 7.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks