Team-BHP - The DSLR Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The DSLR Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/11582-dslr-thread-501.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nileshch (Post 2358796)
Oh, the classic Adobe RGB vs sRGB fight.

Yes, both have 16 million colors.

The 12/14 bits in RAW would give you much more than 16 million colours. 16 million in 8x3=24 bits, while the camera ADC give either 12x3=36 bits or 14x3=42 bits which translates to more colours than can be easily displayed by normal monitors, but can be printed on high end printers. To overcome the 24 bit shortcoming of the normal monitors, 10 bit (that is 10x3=30 bit) monitors are already there and used by a lot of professionals.

Color depth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Billion Colors: HP's DreamColor Monitor : Color-Critical Consumers
CreativeCOW

Hello guys,
Noob alert!
Now that I've got the Nikon 5100D which I am still exploring. I haven't felt the need to venture beyond the P, S, A and M (very rarely) modes thus far.
So my question to all here: What mode do you use while taking pics? As I mentioned so far I haven't had the need to go into the M mode. The P, S and A have enough settings to keep me occupied.

Thanks

Online purchase of Nikon camera/equipments, i was almost in the verge of picking Nikon5100 from "letsbuy.com" but was a bit skeptical about the "warranty" part so called Nikon (Bangalore) and i was told that Nikon wont give warranty on online purchase. though letsbuy claims that the equipment comes with the warranty.

So people who are keen about warranty need to check before moving ahead.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by lohithrao (Post 2359381)
Online purchase of Nikon camera/equipments, i was almost in the verge of picking Nikon5100 from "letsbuy.com" but was a bit skeptical about the "warranty" part so called Nikon (Bangalore) and i was told that Nikon wont give warranty online purchase. though letsbuy claims that the equipment comes with the warranty.

As long as you get a VAT paid bill with dealer stamped warranty card, it does not matter online or offline. For example, many ebay sellers have a brick and mortar shop, where you can pick up in person also. Whether you order from ebay, or from the shop. your warranty card is stamped with the same dealer stamp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lohithrao (Post 2359381)
Online purchase of Nikon camera/equipments, i was almost in the verge of picking Nikon5100 from "letsbuy.com" but was a bit skeptical about the "warranty" part so called Nikon (Bangalore) and i was told that Nikon wont give warranty online purchase. though letsbuy claims that the equipment comes with the warranty.

You are completely wrong. Like tsk said - full VAT purchase of India products will be fine.

Provided its not a china product being sold in India or suchlike.

Its highly irresponsible of Nikon Bangalore to give such incorrect sweeping generalizations

Well i dont know if am wrong or right, but we will know the fact only when someone who has purchased the equipment on web claims of warranty gets honored/dishonored.

infact i did raise the point of getting the bill along with the purchase but got a negative reply for that, however anyone going ahead should check on this...

also is thier a possibility of "china" product being sold?

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 2359409)
You are completely wrong. Like tsk said - full VAT purchase of India products will be fine.

Provided its not a china product being sold in India or suchlike.

Its highly irresponsible of Nikon Bangalore to give such incorrect sweeping generalizations

Guys !! Recently I have met a canon representative in Reliance Digital and while talking to him, he said the same. If I buy from websites like letsbuy.com and all, there will not be canon warranty :(

I thought he is blabbing...

Nothing in Nikon's 1 year warranty says that you need to buy from an authorised dealer. However, let's look at what the Nikon extended
warranty says:

Nikon India Private Limited

"Nikon India 1 year extended warranty is available only for products sold to Nikon Authorized Dealers or Re-sellers by Nikon India Pvt. Ltd. Grey market products are not eligible for coverage by Nikon India 1 year extended warranty"

As long as your camera/lens/flash has the Nikon India warranty card stamped by an authorised dealer/re-seller you ought to be fine.

However I checked the authorised dealer list - and letsbuy.com and smartshoppers are not among them. Nikon may choose to read from the rule book so best not to take a risk.

PS - Call me old fashioned. I do not buy expensive equipment whether photographic or electronic online, especially in India. I believe in examining and testing the purchase before I walk out of the store.

Regards,

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 2359701)
....PS - Call me old fashioned. I do not buy expensive equipment whether photographic or electronic online, especially in India. I believe in examining and testing the purchase before I walk out of the store.

Add me to your list of 'old-fashioned' :) The satisfaction and the feel of touch is a different world and nothing can beat that. I buy only low costing accessories online, that too if the price is very attractive. Made online purchases at B&H, Adorama, Ebay (HK & India) and playgroundsonline all were happy experiences. Had very bad experience with Fommy twice and second item was totally cheap and different from what they displayed on their site, ended up returning it with the courier charge loss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shajufx (Post 2359772)
Add me to your list of 'old-fashioned' :) The satisfaction and the feel of touch is a different world and nothing can beat that. I buy only low costing accessories online, that too if the price is very attractive. Made online purchases at B&H, Adorama, Ebay (HK & India) and playgroundsonline all were happy experiences. Had very bad experience with Fommy twice and second item was totally cheap and different from what they displayed on their site, ended up returning it with the courier charge loss.

Absolutely.

I describe myself a 'touchy feely' guy when it comes to buying things. :D
Though I have ordered online from abroad countless times, it was mostly computer accessories or hardware, relatively low cost compared with my cameras and assorted lenses.

I'd never ever buy a lens or camera (or an expensive electronic item) over the 'net in India. Even if it saved me money. Any return policies are flaky and I dont intend to put them to the test and get a shock when they cook up some excuse to decline. And then there's the question of warranty.

My dealers (I patronise a very select lot for each type/item of purchase) know me and my eye for detail. If an order turns up in a condition I don't like whilst at the store, then they will replace it for me. Pronto.

Cheers!

To give the other side of the coin here, i had purchased my Sony Video camera back in 2003 from Ebay, seller was JJMehta, they was no warranty but back then there was a huge difference in prices. Later i picked my D50 once again from Ebay from JJMehta in 2005.
Both the times the items cost around 30K and had no issue with online purchase.
So i guess its luck and who you get it from.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yajaman99 (Post 2359853)
To give the other side of the coin here, i had purchased my Sony Video camera back in 2003 from Ebay, seller was JJMehta, they was no warranty but back then there was a huge difference in prices. Later i picked my D50 once again from Ebay from JJMehta in 2005.
Both the times the items cost around 30K and had no issue with online purchase.
So i guess its luck and who you get it from.

I think the comments are centred more on the impact on warranty rather than the purchase experience itself and those potentially unfortunate folks who may have to make a warranty repair claim.

As for luck, I believe I am a pessimist when it comes to business practices in this country. Sorry, I grew up in an era where the "take it or leave it" attitude was at its peak. Caveat emptor is something I practice.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by yajaman99 (Post 2359853)
.....seller was JJMehta, they was no warranty but back then there was a huge difference in prices....

As R2D2 mentioned, its more of a worry about the warranty part discussed here, not the buying experience as such. Another thing I felt very important is the online sellers who also have established selling outlets atleast in one city, makes a huge difference in the reliability. JJ Mehta has their business established years before they went online, correct me if my impression is wrong. Same thing I felt about Smartshoppers. They have more than 4 busy outlets in Chennai, they also supply to many re-sellers in Bangalore and other parts of KA and TN as I understand. I myself picked up my 70-200 from their actual outlet, so I know how big they operate. B&H and Adorama showrooms are huge as reported by my friends who have gone there. Naturally their online orders are very quick and accurate. Even their websites are updated of the stock every hour. Indian sites are bad in stock updation, so one ideally needs to call up and reconfirm before paying.

Thats one side of the online business. Now think about a dingy room in the outskirts of a city, having a broadband connection and a very attractive website to lure customers online. Sales support, customer care, service etc. all calls attended by a school dropout who can hardly understand the business itself. Thats where all the Nepali-Chinese connections flow and innocent newbies get into fake deals ! Forget the bill & warranty, thank your stars if you get a courier after a 30 days waiting !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiren.mistry (Post 2359205)
Hello guys,
Noob alert!
I haven't felt the need to venture beyond the P, S, A and M (very rarely) modes thus far.
So my question to all here: What mode do you use while taking pics? As I mentioned so far I haven't had the need to go into the M mode. The P, S and A have enough settings to keep me occupied.
Thanks

Same here. The other modes are more like weighted presets - sports mode will use fast shutter speeds and bump ISO/aperture, while night scene will increase aperture and/or ISO but also set slow shutter speed as needed. Portrait mode will use wide aperture for bokeh , and so on.

I use Aperture priority 80-90% of the time. Remaining is mostly split between manual or shutter priority , and occasionally Program Auto or the green Auto.

@LOhithrao,
Nikon is supposedly very strict about grey market, and will not even service grey units even if you pay for them. While Flipkart/LetsBuy are big retailers, if they're not authorized resellers, you could be denied warranty claims. Curiously, BestBuy , B&H , Adorama , Ritz and Amazon are very popular in the US/Canada , so I reckon Nikon-USA and Nikon Canada have them on authorized dealers list, so why not Indian online retailers ? Good question to corner some Nikon exec. Probably similar story with Canon.

R2D2 - Agree on the touch/feel point esp with regards to 3rd party equipment like lenses which may have QC issues. or stuff like camera which can be mishandled in transit. a phone ofc, cannot have anything happen in its original case if well packed.

Guys, asking people like reliance digital etc will get you a biased response.

PS: Let me drop a logical bomb on this argument - Has anyone ever checked if allt he small brick n mortar shops have dealership. Even the Pritam Studio - who is the dealer GD saab has heavily recommended & who have been around even when my parents were young (atleast 40 years IIRC) are not listed as dealers. There's no Nikon dealer in Chandni Chowk. But guess where the most sales happen?

So please, my dear friends, let's be reasonable.

Yes, buying online has the issue of handling & QC - which I fully agree to R2D2 - but believeing sales crap from competing sellers is just naivete.