Team-BHP - The DSLR Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The DSLR Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/11582-dslr-thread-67.html)

Is there any 18-105 lens for Canon DLSRs ?
I could see Canon 17-85 which comes closest. But it doesnt have favorable reviews. Any other options available in similar range? Nikon has 18-105. but couldnt find for Canon.

Oooh Mayank's getting a D90 now? Excellent camera and I'm a tad jealous :)

@Mayank

Thanks for the update.

I have finalized on a D60(black edition) with the Nikkor 18-105mm VR lens-the package comes for 628$ including shipping.

I would love to own the D90-but current budget allocation for a camera(financial dept is headed by 'the better half' !!) does not allow for the D90 at double the price(almost).

Mayank do note that there are grey market imports in the US also-those will be made in Taiwan and the standard kit made is Japan.So watch out for the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 1300733)
Oooh Mayank's getting a D90 now? Excellent camera and I'm a tad jealous :)

It's cost me two arms and two legs but you know what, I said truck recession, I am goin with it.

Common Sam bite the bullet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOR (Post 1300791)
@Mayank

Mayank do note that there are grey market imports in the US also-those will be made in Taiwan and the standard kit made is Japan.So watch out for the same.

So will it say "Made in Taiwan" on the camera/box/lenses? I am sure to return it if that's a problem

Not only the boxes, but on the manufacture plate on the under surface of the body.

Some sellers will mention the same in the product info(like here-scroll down to the produt info part).

So be careful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOR (Post 1300791)

You mean to say that same model is made in Taiwan and Japan together?

I got this from an external forum. Not sure about the authenticity though.

"Nikon does not have a camera assembly plant in the USA. The Sendai, Japan Nikon plant manufactures the D1, D2, D3 and D100. The Thailand Nikon plant makes or made all other Nikon DSLR's such as the D40, D50, D70, S70s, D40x, D60, D80, D200, and D300"

Go for 24-70 L or 24-105 L w/IS if you can afford (about 1000$). One of the best choices in Canon range for that. Canon's 17-85 is not too good and there is 17-55 which is really good, but then you don't have anything to cover 55-70/105. Another option is 28-135. For reviews, go to the site below. Genuinely good canon reviews. No other product bashing or comments to get distracted with.

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh (Post 1300683)
Is there any 18-105 lens for Canon DLSRs ?
I could see Canon 17-85 which comes closest. But it doesnt have favorable reviews. Any other options available in similar range? Nikon has 18-105. but couldnt find for Canon.

I'm not sure that the D90 is made in Japan. I'm guessing Thailand.

And Rudra's question is very pertinent. No electronics manufacturer will make 2 products of the same model number in 2 different countries. Makes no sense.

Most vendors make their pro & semi-pro class stuff in Japan only & some in Germany. This is due to the perception of other "low-cost"manufacturing destinations QA reasons besides their initial development bases being in Japan right since ancient days & Japan's much better QA measures than say China/Taiwan or Thailand. I'm not sure about Nikon but check any other and they are proud to mention that they make products only in Japan. And for me, that makes the decision. Made in Japan!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 1301644)
I'm not sure that the D90 is made in Japan. I'm guessing Thailand.

And Rudra's question is very pertinent. No electronics manufacturer will make 2 products of the same model number in 2 different countries. Makes no sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by given2fly (Post 1301661)
And for me, that makes the decision. Made in Japan!

Your statement would have been true a decade ago. Not today. Japan is hardly making anything anymore and most other countries (Korea, Taiwan, Thailand) go through stringent Japanese quality control processes.

I know I'm re-sparking off a debate that started long ago. But I choose to accept a product regardless of where it's made.

My iPod and iMac are Made in China. Fantastic quality. My Nikon is made in Thailand. Works beautifully. I don't care about country of origin anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 1300943)
You mean to say that same model is made in Taiwan and Japan together?

Rudraji, i have no idea where the camera is made, just extrapolating from the info given in the website quote in the link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj_koova (Post 1300946)
"Nikon does not have a camera assembly plant in the USA. The Sendai, Japan Nikon plant manufactures the D1, D2, D3 and D100. The Thailand Nikon plant makes or made all other Nikon DSLR's such as the D40, D50, D70, S70s, D40x, D60, D80, D200, and D300"

This might well be the reason-infact the official images on dpreview shows the 'Made in Taiwan' tag on the manufacturer plate on the underside. There is but a 'Black and Gold' edition for the D60-is that made in Japan? Can anyone give some info.

I had checked D90 at various camera shops in Tokyo, all were Made in Thailand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by finneyp (Post 1301693)
I had checked D90 at various camera shops in Tokyo, all were Made in Thailand.

well then that settles it. Just as I suspected, the D90 is made in Thailand and it does not matter which country you buy it from, it's still made in Thailand.