Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 14:35   #3946
Team-BHP Support

People those of you who are buying weather sealed DSLR, remember, weather sealing will be totally useless unless you use a weather sealed lens.
So unless you play to buy a weather sealed lens and use that most of the time, its not useful at all.
A non weather sealed lens on a weather sealed body will still get dust on the sensor. Remember, the chain is as strong as the weakest link.
Moreover, dust entry is through lens side. Even in non weather sealed body, the seals on the body are tight enough to ward off dust and moisture. Its the lens contact and lens zoom mechanism which can such in dust.
Old 7th May 2010, 14:37   #3947
Senior - BHPian

Hi tsk

can you please share some guidelines as to how to protect the lens sensor from the dust. i would be looking forward to some practical ideas apart from theory.

thanks,
Old 7th May 2010, 14:45   #3948
Team-BHP Support

the real answer is that there isn't a way to completely stop dust.
When you shoot with a non weather sealed lens in dusty conditions, the zoom mechanism sucks in dust. Can't do anything about it.
Secondly, during lens change on field, you can take care to keep pointing camera downwards, and not changing lenses facing the wind. It will reduce dust.
but even with auto clean sensors, most mfr cameras require some cleanup. Olympus dust reduction is known to be the best currently, with other doing just okay.
If you get sticky dust on your sensor, even shake reduction won't help. A blower or dry nylon makeup brush cleaning will be necessary.

I get rid of dust by first using rocket blower. If dues bunnies are still present, I take a nylon makeup brush and brush the sensor lightly.
Take are that
1. Brush is clean totally. You can wash it and keep it for drying inside a clean drawer
2. Brush should be nylon, not animal here or fabrlc
3. you can pre static charge brush by blowing air through it via rocket blower. This will make those bristles static dust magnets.

If you are scared types, and don't want to physically touch sensor, use the rocket blower. If dues still does not go, go to Canon service center. I think its 1000rs for complete servicing.
Old 7th May 2010, 14:52   #3949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
the real answer is that there isn't a way to completely stop dust.

If you are scared types, and don't want to physically touch sensor, use the rocket blower. If dues still does not go, go to Canon service center. I think its 1000rs for complete servicing.
Thanks tsk

DSLR servicing costs RS 1000 ?, thanks for the info, generally what is the frequency fo service ?

Does Nikon also provide this type of facility ?, is their charges lower or higher than canon ?

any thoughts ?
Old 7th May 2010, 15:03   #3950
Team-BHP Support

Acually 1000rs is more or less the norm depending upon DSLR. Canon often does free service camps which allows you to get it serviced for free(I got it for free),
No idea about Nikon. you can probably call up their service center and ask.
Old 7th May 2010, 15:24   #3951
BHPian

@tsk1979,
Thank you for your response. Already mastered the art - own a Pentax MZ50 SLR (film) and a Panasonic FZ50 (day time beauty, night time disaster) and 5 other normal cameras. That is why I am considering semi-professional stuff and not EOS 1000D (which anyway is Made in Taiwan).
The prosumer cameras anyway not that well equiped when doing DOF work - that needs good high quality lenses with huge aperature (atleast f2.8)
Planning to port the body with a Canon f/2.8 constant aperature IS USM lens - That is the topmost Canon has on offer. Lens wise Canon seems to be lacking but Tamron has many a lenses that go exceptionally well on Canon.

@K_ajay,
Though there is a difference in cost in Bengaluru, cost is ditto abroad and the purchase is going to happen abroad.
Keeping of the dust is not as nig an issue as saving the camera in rainy condition

@amitk26,
Only the extremely expensive Sonys and Nikons are made in Japan. Most of the Sony stuff is assembled either in singapore or Malaysia. The costlier Nikon D3s get manufactured in Japan - But, these kits cost close to 2 lakhs. Most of the other Nikons are manufactured in Thailand. Ditto with Pentax - most of them are made in Vietnam and maybe the extremely costlier ones are made in Japan - I doubt if Pentax has the real highend stuff though. Pentax K7 is a good option, but, at that cost anything other than Made in Japan is a slight risk.
Old 7th May 2010, 15:35   #3952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you are that kind, buy a Bridge camera for 20K or so. Having a DSLR will not automatically make your photography better.

For example look up posts of TorqueGuru. He used to shoot with sony H50. Now he shoots with a Nikon Pro DSLR. Except for a few niche conditions, the shots he took with H50 are as good as he can take with D300 or whatever
Of course prints on large papers are a totally different matter.
Well said, the DSLR is a tool. It plays a marginal role in improving your composition but does help you, given a situation get better pictures. Could low light, could be flash photography,could be tricky situations like snow or wanting to achieve specific results like motion blurring etc..

Though I have a 20D, I always carry a Powershot P&S camera with me because you may miss moments unloading/setting up your camera.

The real effect of the pictures taken by a SLR show if you enlarge them to 10x12 when you can easily see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
50D is definitely weather sealed and will last longer. The question is, do you abuse your cameras or baby them?

Which lenses do you own? and how important is video?
These cameras last a long time I must say. My DSLR 20D is five years old, I have a film camera Elan 7E, 10 years old. It is not that I really took special care of them, but I did not abuse them either. They are pretty robust I should say. I was skeptical of my Elan 7E as I did not use it for almost four years. But on Rajasthan trip last, I wanted a back up camera and tried replacing the battery and bam!! The camera worked like a charm.They both function pretty well.

Lenses have 50mm/1.8MKII, 70-200/F4 L, and 28-105/3.5-4.5.

Nainar
Old 7th May 2010, 15:53   #3953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
Imagine yourself taking a pic with 550D. Or go back through your collection. Now ask yourself, what feature on 50D would have made this better? Or what feature would have enabled you to take a better pic?

List them down and see if they are worth the extra investment.
It is the other way around. Imagine a shot that you missed with 550D. There could be many reasons, like you have to change aperture/speed/iso without taking your eyes off the viewfinder and because of that you missed a good shot.
If you had knobs and buttons to do this in the body itself, rather than digging through the menu, then you will appreciate the differences between these two.
I miss that flexibility sometimes in my K200D. Thinking of getting a K7 for this reason.
BTW, can you assign some other button to do Auto Focus (other than the shutter release button) in 550D? Sorry, newbie with Canon features.
Old 7th May 2010, 16:23   #3954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
at that cost anything other than Made in Japan is a slight risk.
I can only admire your facination for things made in japan even after Toyota :-)
Old 7th May 2010, 16:28   #3955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
It is the other way around. Imagine a shot that you missed with 550D. There could be many reasons, like you have to change aperture/speed/iso without taking your eyes off the viewfinder and because of that you missed a good shot.
If you had knobs and buttons to do this in the body itself, rather than digging through the menu, then you will appreciate the differences between these two.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this like a given feature in any DSLR? The feature to change Aperture, Shutterspeed and ISO while looking through the viewfinder? In my 350D, I can do all this (except for ISO), but that doesn't hinder me from making a good photograph. The build and feel is one thing that would push me towards 50D than 550D. I had the opportunity to use a 50D recently and I fell for it. But would that mean I'd upgrade to it? May be not. I love crop bodies and I plan to upgrade to 7D directly than trying anything in between. Mainly due to the ergonomics and cleaner images at higher ISO.
Old 7th May 2010, 19:48   #3956
BHPian

Nikon D90 is for 51K on Ebay. Whats the price in BLR?

eBay India: Nikon D90 dslr camera+ 18-105 VR lens 39.3% off -mrp (item 390190922411 end time 12-May-2010 09:00:00 IST)
Old 7th May 2010, 22:38   #3957
BHPian

Folks, i wanted to share some of my first shots with the 550D with the 18-55 kit lens. These pics were taken with no flash and with a manual mode with f 5.6 and ISO 800. Would love to have feedback.

cheers
Vinay sambaragimath
Attached Files
File Type: pdf canon 550d1.pdf (1.55 MB, 481 views)
File Type: pdf 550_03.pdf (1.43 MB, 321 views)
File Type: pdf 550d_2.pdf (1.25 MB, 400 views)
Old 7th May 2010, 23:03   #3958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
Folks, i wanted to share some of my first shots with the 550D with the 18-55 kit lens. These pics were taken with no flash and with a manual mode with f 5.6 and ISO 800. Would love to have feedback.

cheers
Vinay sambaragimath
My apologies, that i have been unable to reduce the file size, hence i converted to adobe and have attached.
Old 8th May 2010, 08:24   #3959
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have a doubt and need very urgent help from the gurus . I am going to buy my first DSLR and was hoping to get a nikon . But now I'm confused between the 2 models the D5000 and the D90. saw few reviews on youtube and still not able to decide !
Can someone please list the difference between the cameras clearly and also tell me if the d90 is worth the 20k extra you pay over the 5000 ?
please help.
Old 8th May 2010, 08:36   #3960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Guys I have a doubt and need very urgent help from the gurus . I am going to buy my first DSLR and was hoping to get a nikon . But now I'm confused between the 2 models the D5000 and the D90. saw few reviews on Youtube and still not able to decide !
Can someone please list the difference between the cameras clearly and also tell me if the d90 is worth the 20k extra you pay over the 5000 ?
please help.
1. Direct control dials/buttons + a dedicated LCD up top.
2. Can focus with older lenses.
3. If the kit lens is the 18-105, thats a better lens than 18-55.

If any of these are essential, spend the dough - else pick D5000 (I did )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks