Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2010, 16:38   #5851
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Use the last table of comparison,convert the features in some sort of weight and if we could measure it, D90 will weight more (not that it actually weighs less than 550D) than the 550D

1.5 as compared to 1.6 in simple english means that D90 has a bigger sensor than 550D in term of size, you can read about it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
One of the best comparison between 550d and D90 i have found:

Canon Rebel T2i / EOS 550D Compared to Nikon D90 Side by Side

How much the crop factor (1.5 in D90 and 1.6 in 550d) matters?
Old 17th December 2010, 16:44   #5852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
One of the best comparison between 550d and D90 i have found:

Canon Rebel T2i / EOS 550D Compared to Nikon D90 Side by Side

How much the crop factor (1.5 in D90 and 1.6 in 550d) matters?
Note that in side by side comparison images they do not use same settings for Shutter speed and Aperture value for reasons best known to them.

Use of terms like legendary / Award winning liberally here and there etc make it more suspect.

I would say comparison images taken by end users are often more trust worthy. Anyway enough for me right now.

I do not own 550D but liked it for a simple reason that it provides something which no other nikon or budget canon is providing.
Old 17th December 2010, 16:49   #5853
Senior - BHPian

I agree Samurai , I love Zuiko lens and helicoids extensions Olympus had for macros so much trouble free for macro rather then buying overpriced lens and extension tubes for other.
Old 17th December 2010, 17:03   #5854
BHPian

Yes that was a sort of assumption, thanks for sharing/correcting.

My summary -
1. D90 has usable features that high-end DSLRs have
2. If you are into movie making go for a Samsung HD video recorder or Canon 550d else chose the D90 for still photography
3. Pro-camera (high-end camera) features at less price
4. D90 is from Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Is that not an assumption ? D90 LCD displays shutter speed, aperture and white balance settings, battery remaining indicator, flash mode, image size and quality, ISO setting etc. All of these appear as superimposed on live view. While using live view you would be looking at the main LCD so the monochrome LCD is fairly useless.
See the screen shots if you do not believe
Canon EOS 550D / Digital Rebel T2i Hands-on Preview: 9. Operation (Live View): Digital Photography Review

Yes a dedicated LCD at top is good to have but when you have mounted it at low position on tripod and using an angular view finder and not in live mode.

Needless to say 550D has better main LCD as well.

Any way for a DSLR most important is resolution an 550D is way ahead in this regard. If you love to crop images for screen filling shots.

So my summary 550D is

1. More modern and have better resolution
2. Better movie mode.
3. Hacker friendly and if you want to be amateur movie maker good choice instead of 5D Mark II budget wise.
Old 17th December 2010, 17:07   #5855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Better Ergonomics ... well that is most important if you are wedding photographer or need to hold Cam or 8 hours in a day for some other reason.
Rajat stole my words exactly how I thought in the post below, I could not post it better anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Ergonomics is the need of the hour, everything you pick from the market - blender, iron, TV remote, mobile phone, etc. are to be designed ergonomically. Do we use these items all day long..No..but for whatever duration we use, we want to feel comfortable. So I guess same was the point when someone spoke about ergonomics
Rajat, I bow to you for the kind of info you have collected on the topic, I never knew few things you mentioned already. This is the way one should decide on any product, be it a cam, car, home appliance or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
BTW, I'm a die-hard Nikonian...
GD sab, I am not a die-hard Nikonian, but I use a D90 and very happy with it, I have played with 500D and 550D and even 50D, could not find anything to dislike my D90. Video is of least priority when you are talking about DSLRs. If you are serious about video, there is nothing lower than 5D Mark 2 or D3S to be talked about. All the videos on lower bodies are just sad copies or marketing gimmicks similar to Mega pixel talks.

I upgraded from a Canon P&S to Nikon D60 to explore the DSLR world. Later I upgraded to D90 for ease of use and wide range of dedicated buttons and additional features. Never ever thought about Mega Pixels or Video till date.

If Canon is better, its because Nikon is producing equal quality products in the market, If Nikon is better, its because Canon is neck to neck to match the competition, its as simple as that. 'Which one is better' is a topic of worry for guys like Ken Rockwell, Cameralabs, DSLR testers etc. not for the end-user.

I would become a die-hard Nikon fan only when they match their D3S and D3X prices to the equivalent of Canon range. Until then I am in between
Old 17th December 2010, 17:23   #5856
BHPian

Thanks Shaju...at the end of the day its the product that we are buying not a particular feature, I feel as a product D90 is way beyond 550D yes if you compare feature by feature D90 might fall short in some areas.

+1 on video capabilities - like I have been saying all the time, HD video is a feature not "the" feature, and if its a person's deciding feature then he is in the wrong product area, he should be in the HD recorder section where better products are available at much lower prices.

HD recording is there just to lure that class of consumers who want to buy a P&S for its HD capabilities, it should not be deciding factor by a serious still photography enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Rajat stole my words exactly how I thought in the post below, I could not post it better anyway.

Rajat, I bow to you for the kind of info you have collected on the topic, I never knew few things you mentioned already. This is the way one should decide on any product, be it a cam, car, home appliance or whatever.

I would become a die-hard Nikon fan only when they match their D3S and D3X prices to the equivalent of Canon range. Until then I am in between
Old 17th December 2010, 17:28   #5857
BHPian

IMO all these tiny nit-pick differences between 550D and D90 doesnt make any real difference on the final outcome. The cheapest DSLR in the hands of a pro photographer can and will produce better images than pro-camera in the hands of a beginner.
Old 17th December 2010, 17:34   #5858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
..HD recording is there just to lure that class of consumers who want to buy a P&S for its HD capabilities, it should not be deciding factor by a serious still photography enthusiast
My usage of HD, its just 2 or 3 times in one year, just to check how this feature really works. Auto focus does not work on D90 HD video like dedicated HD cams, that makes it all the more "a feature". Even if it has auto-focus, thats not the reason I bought a DSLR anyway. There are plenty of very compact HD cams in the market for the price of a good DSLR lens.
Old 17th December 2010, 18:30   #5859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My usage of HD, its just 2 or 3 times in one year, just to check how this feature really works. Auto focus does not work on D90 HD video like dedicated HD cams, that makes it all the more "a feature". Even if it has auto-focus, thats not the reason I bought a DSLR anyway. There are plenty of very compact HD cams in the market for the price of a good DSLR lens.
Shaju and Rajat : Compact HD Camcorders and DSLR HD are poles apart in same way DSLR and P&S still cams are.

DSLR looks wasteful to people who use high end P&S and they just ask how much zoom.

DSLR HD is a toy for wannabe filmmakers and amature short film makers and work-flow for shoot is is more close to the proper cinematographic stuff where you ready a shot first and then shoot and then later edit and mix sound / background music to make a film. Auto focus has little or no use in this setup and older MF lenses are preferred.

A lots of short film makers are using DSLRs now as it is lot cheaper then digital film camera like Red.

Cenama 5D is dedicated forum for this

cinema5D.com • The forum for dslr filmmakers

But dismissing this as my usage is 3 mins so it is just a gimmick is similar to what some one who always use a 18-270 Tamron zoom lens on D90 will say about your 35mm 1.4 prime

With 5D and 7D it was out of reach of lot of people and in price conscious market like India it never took off.
550D is the product that breaks this barrier , If people have right to use cheaper APS-C bodies instead of FF for still they do have for video as well. If DSLR is preferred over P&S for few things then DSLR gives edge over camcorder as well. Reasons are pretty much same.

http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24426

Last edited by amitk26 : 17th December 2010 at 18:38.
Old 17th December 2010, 18:36   #5860
Senior - BHPian

Amit, I have only one request here. Give me your boss's number, I need to speak to him. Its sheer torture to leave the employees without enough work on their table
Old 17th December 2010, 18:45   #5861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amit, I have only one request here. Give me your boss's number, I need to speak to him. Its sheer torture to leave the employees without enough work on their table
Well I am posting from my home and boss is out right now :-D , Don't want to give her number to you anyway he he he.
But watch some videos from Cinema5D brilliant work of art , I tried but not reached a level where I can post something worth while. Will try posting on DSLR video thread soon.

Last edited by amitk26 : 17th December 2010 at 18:47.
Old 18th December 2010, 14:35   #5862
BANNED

Hi all,

In which mode should i take pics generally? Aperture or Shutter priority?

sometimes the round light inside the view finder starts blinking in my canon and am unable to take pics.what should i adjust for it?
Old 18th December 2010, 15:27   #5863
Senior - BHPian

How about the basic standing & sitting mode? Gives you good pictures...

The round light inside the viewfinder, when blinks means the subject is not in focus..

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi all,

sometimes the round light inside the view finder starts blinking in my canon and am unable to take pics.what should i adjust for it?
Old 18th December 2010, 16:11   #5864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

joshguy,
Shutter.
If freezing a fast moving subject like a water fall use higher shutter speed, as 1/ 800th sec or higher. If you desire to show motion or blur in the water fall use slower shutter speed as 1/60th or lower. Same applies for anything moving.
Hand held is possible not lower than 1/60th unless using an IS lens or tripod.
Aperture.
It controls the depth of field, which is the background clarity or lack of it (behind the main subject). Sometimes you need a sharp back ground showing all detail from fore ground to infinity like landscapes, for this use low f numbers as f/10-f/32. To deliberately blur the back ground so that the main subject pops out like in portraits, use higher f numbers as f/5-f/8.

Please elaborate on the round light, which model of Canon and color of light.
Below 60% cropped images for reference.
Regards,
At higher shutter speed.
The DSLR Thread-meenu-pics-064.jpg
At slower shutter speed.
The DSLR Thread-meenu-pics-065.jpg

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 18th December 2010 at 16:13.
Old 18th December 2010, 19:02   #5865
BHPian

Aperture Priority
[Denoted by A in Nikon; Denoted by Av in Canon (means Aperture Value)]
You can select the aperture you want and the camera chooses the best corresponding shutter speed
Example-
You Choose---------- Camera Chooses
f1.8---------------- 100 (1/100th of a second)
f3.5---------------- 20 (1/20th of a second)
f22 ----------------1" (1 second)
Why will you use this - When you want to control DOF, you would want to select aperture to your wish, and will let the camera select the best possible shutter speed; use it when you want to take a portrait and make everything in the background blurr

Shutter Priority
[Denoted by S in Nikon; Denoted by Tv in Canon (means Time Value)]
You can select the shutter speed here and the camera chooses the corresponding aperture
Example
You Choose---------- Camera Chooses
1" ------------------f14
20 ------------------f4.5
80 ------------------f2.5
Why will you use this - When you want to capture motion, or blurr motion, you would like to take control of the shutter speed and then the camera selects the aperture for you; you can use this when you want to capture kids jumping and you want to freeze the motion, or creating use can be when you want to capture a moving car with everything frozen but the car captured as a blurr to denote motion (though you will need a tripod for this)

Which mode to use - I prefer aperture priority in 90% of my work, shutter priority is preffered when I am capturing motion, sports, anything with a motion, basically its used to capture/freeze motion or give that blurring effect to denote that the subject was in motion

Quote:
Hi all,

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 18th December 2010 at 19:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks