Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 15:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Microsoft Surface - The iPad Competitor. Now Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Sandy, yes the Surface has the USB slot in it. Not sure if it's in the Windows 8 RT model, but for sure in the Windows 8 Professional Release, they have put the USB functionality along with an Intel Processor.

The Windows 8 RT has an ARM processor.
Yes, it has got USB. WinRT version has got USB 2.0 while Win8 pro version has got USB 3.0. He demonstrated that it took about 3-5 seconds for a 1B data (multiple files) to copy from the USB device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR_SHR View Post
This looks/feels just like a 13" laptop with a touch-screen. It seems to be bulkier than a mac book air. Maybe I missed something.
WinRT is 676g/9.3mm and Win8 Pro is 903g/13.5mm. That makes a real kewl device. iPad thirdgen seems to be at 652g/9.4mm. Macbook will be a different category, much thicker and heavier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdisdesi View Post
If the tablet can synchronize outlook and other office programs properly i think it should be a huge hit. The only thing i hate about androids and ipad/phones, are the lack of synchronization with Microsoft software ie. if i sent an email through my tablet it would be real cool if it shows up in my sent folder on my desktop and my laptop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
I am able to synchronize my outlook mails and calender with my One X. If I send a mail from my android, it shows up in my outlook sent items and calender items on my laptop outlook are synced with my android and chime a reminder.

I've been waiting for a 'good' windows tablet for a while now with all hopes set for the end of the year. Incidentally, coincides with my birthday also so I'm hoping I would get one of these.
Both will have the same office that can be used same as your windows PC, WinRT may not have some benefits of connecting to domain and some enterprize level features but from the productivity perspective, you will have all the features of office/sharepoint/skydrive/cloud that you have on Windows PC (even more than office mobile that comes with WP7 or WP8 in future).
Looks promising, lets see how it goes.
Old 18th October 2012, 09:52   #17
BHPian

Re: Microsoft Surface - The iPad Competitor. Now Launched!

Finally, its there for pre-order in the US. $499 for the Win 8 RT. Looks great.

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US

Looks really good. Have been using Win 8 from the first beta and the OS has been awesome. Looking forward to get my hands on!

The major omission is no SIM card option. This is a very bad decision I think.

The only option I could think of when you are on the move with the Surface in India is to use your mobile's data as a wifi hotspot.

Windows 8 RT Specs sheet:

OS
Windows RT; Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote). Works exclusively with apps available in the Windows Store.

Exterior
10.81 x 6.77 x 0.37in
1.5lbs
VaporMg casing
Dark Titanium color
Volume and Power buttons

Storage
32GB*, 64GB

Display
10.6" ClearType HD Display
1366x768 pixels
16:9 (widescreen)
5-point multi-touch

CPU
NVIDIA T30 ||| 2GB RAM

Wireless
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n) || Bluetooth 4.0 technology

Battery 31.5 W-h

Cameras and A/V
Two 720p HD LifeCams, front- and rear-facing
Two microphones,
Stereo speakers

Ports
Full-size USB 2.0
microSDXC card slot
Headset jack
HD video out port
Cover port

Sensors
Ambient light sensor
Accelerometer
Gyroscope
Compass

Power Supply
24W power supply

Warranty
1-year limited hardware warranty

Apps (included)
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview1 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote); Windows Mail and Messaging; SkyDrive; Internet Explorer 10; Bing; Xbox Music, Video, and Games.

Last edited by punto_ : 18th October 2012 at 09:58.
Old 25th October 2012, 11:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Fujitsu has announced 10", Win8 tablet with AMD Z-60 APU. The advantage x86 based Surface tablets have over ARM based ones is x86 ones have desktop mode. So any desktop application will work on the tablet. Eg, for instance, using BlueStacks application, x86 Win8 tablet can run *any* Android app or game.

Link: Fujitsu STYLISTIC Q572 - http://www.fujitsu.com/in/products/c...tylistic-q572/
Old 25th October 2012, 21:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

The review for Surface RT is out.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/23/m...ace-rt-review/

Looking at how it can't run legacy apps, i think i will prefer the Win 8 Pro.
Old 25th October 2012, 21:43   #20
BHPian

Checked the review yesterday and I'm very happy with the Surface. Need to see how RT apps come up. I'm sure devs will be embracing the new platform. For an average user qho uses the computer for browsing and video RT should suffice.
Old 20th November 2012, 12:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Microsoft got it wrong ! Oprah promoting Surface via iPad ...
Microsoft Surface - The iPad Competitor. Now Launched!-xlarge.jpg
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/11/op...-from-an-ipad/
Old 20th July 2013, 15:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

While Surface Pro is doing slightly better, Surface RT is not doing well at all. Microsoft took on the hardware industry (HP, Acer, et all), manufactured RT and now have lost their face.
Surface RT is worse than we thought: Why Microsoft took a $900M inventory hit
Quote:
Microsoft Corp.'s foray into the tablet computer market proved costly in the fourth quarter. The world's largest software company booked a $900 million write-down to account for the deep price cut it applied to its Surface RT tablet this week, a move to spur sales amid sluggish demand.
Old 8th October 2015, 23:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Is this the thread where we can discuss about Surface Book?

This device looks awesome and probably the best product from Microsoft's stable so far.

Who is ordering one this year?

Personally I am hoping the prices come down by couple of 100 $'s soon enough.
Old 8th October 2015, 23:37   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This device looks awesome and probably the best product from Microsoft's stable so far.
To me this can replace neither a main stream computer nor iPad - if someone wants a practical light weight computer - I can recommend new 12 inch MacBook with retina display and 8 Gb it serves more like a full computer - by my experience in past 2 months I have hardly felt any need to touch my 15 Mac Pro or 3rd Gen X1 Carbon - i7 whereas I don't even remember what happened to my Surface 2or 3 that i picked last year.
Old 12th October 2015, 14:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
To me this can replace neither a main stream computer nor iPad - if someone wants a practical light weight computer - I can recommend new 12 inch MacBook with retina display and 8 Gb it serves more like a full computer - by my experience in past 2 months I have hardly felt any need to touch my 15 Mac Pro or 3rd Gen X1 Carbon - i7 whereas I don't even remember what happened to my Surface 2or 3 that i picked last year.
I think Surface Book is the device which you should then buy - and get rid of all those other devices which you have!

Finally there is a product which shows promise -to compete and outperform an equivalent product from Apple.

I would like it to be cheaper by about $250 though.
Old 12th October 2015, 14:35   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think Surface Book is the device which you should then buy
I have it already - lying somewhere in closet - the one they launched last year with all fanfare - believe me its still nowhere - of course few people have some unique applications or demands that might where this might come useful for all regular guys - better stay away
Old 12th October 2015, 14:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I have it already - lying somewhere in closet - the one they launched last year with all fanfare - believe me its still nowhere - of course few people have some unique applications or demands that might where this might come useful for all regular guys - better stay away
Surface Book will be available after October 26, 2015.

You are mixing up with another device.
Old 12th October 2015, 15:00   #28
Team-BHP Support

Yes , I was referring to Surface -3rd Gen - can't comment on this one without using - definitely looks better than existing ones but Thanks - I am now happy in Apple Ecosystem

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks