Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2015, 11:51   #286
BHPian

Re: Which DVD Player to buy in India?

I was searching for a DVD player which plays all formats over USB. But realized that there are too many limitations.

Extended the search to include Blu-ray and finally ordered a Pioneer BDP-180 for Rs 14,000/- . It plays majority of the formats and also has 3d/ 4k upscaling (I wont use these yet)
Old 21st November 2015, 15:57   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Perhaps you can search http://www.videohelp.com/ for this model and see if it's region locked and if there's a way to defeat it? I've used this site a long time ago to do just that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
From my experience with Phillips DVD players, they are region locked. However, if you call the Phillips Toll Free Number, they guide you on how to remove the region lock from the DVD player.
Thanks to both of you. I researched; and the general impression I got was that Sony is not very unlocking-friendly while Philips is. I have now finalized Philips BDP2180 which has a listed unlocking procedure and all the features I want. It is also available in a nearby Croma so I'll be picking it up later this evening.
Old 21st November 2015, 17:31   #288
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

If you call Phillips Customer care, they guide you through the unlocking.
Old 26th November 2015, 07:48   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have now finalized Philips BDP2180...
Had ordered it last Sunday, got it yesterday. Philips' website price was 7K, Croma's 6.5K, Paytm's 6K but got it at 5K after discounts and cashback. It was delivered yesterday and predictably, didn't play any of the DVDs I had purchased while living in region 2. But a quick process involving just the remote control removed the region locking and now I'm ready to go. :-)

Slightly OT: Its Blu-Ray player is also locked to region C. Since I don't have any Blu-Ray discs this hasn't worried me yet; yet region locking is against my principles and I'd like to remove that locking as well. Any websites we know for this similar to videohelp.com for DVDs? Else I'll call Philips customer care.
Old 26th November 2015, 08:11   #290
Senior - BHPian

With due respect, I think buying a DVD player in this age isn't worth it.
DVD's are almost extinct and movies are even rented in google play. So use your phone+chromecast to play it on your TV.
If your friend gives you the movie on a USB stick, go plug it in your TV.
The DVD player does have value when you want to play older DVDs, but you can use your computer and rip the DVD to get something like an AVI format output.
Old 26th November 2015, 09:32   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
With due respect, I think buying a DVD player in this age isn't worth it.
DVD's are almost extinct and movies are even rented in google play. So use your phone+chromecast to play it on your TV.
If your friend gives you the movie on a USB stick, go plug it in your TV.
The DVD player does have value when you want to play older DVDs, but you can use your computer and rip the DVD to get something like an AVI format output.
Well of course, you are entitled to your opinion. But you should remember that your audience in this thread is self-selected to reject your view (it is titled "Which player to buy", not "Should I buy a player?" after all).

As for me - I have a collection of nearly a thousand DVDs of movies, TV shows, concerts, events etc. collected over probably 15 years from many countries that I have no time or energy to rip.
Old 26th November 2015, 10:17   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

There are some people like me who have a legacy 5.1 home theater system which plays DVD and upgrading the whole system to a BluRay compatible HD one is not viable at this point of time. For such, DVD is convenient.And DVD movie titles are here to stay for another 3 years atleast.

And the newer DVD quality is excellent and i really do not miss them not being HD. Got Dil Dhadakne Do DVD and was impressed with the quality of the print and audio on my 42 inch HD plasma!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks