Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2013, 18:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "Android Stick PC" Thread

Anyone interested in the MK802 Mini PC Android Stick 4.0 - there is one for sale (local pick up only, Bangalore) in Classifieds.
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:20   #17
BHPian

Looks like its the time for the miniature comps to evolve.

Another offering more powerful than the Raspberry Pi
Beaglebone
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/22/b...am-45-dollars/
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:28   #18
BHPian

There are endless scenarios where Android TV BOX is edge ahead of using phone/tablet/laptop to TV.

Few are listed below:
AV out capable TV BOX can be used with CRT TVs too!
SKYPE with inbuilt 2MP camera & MIC
Android Games: Angry Birds, Temple Run, Kid Education Games, Car, Puzzle Games, etc (enhance with air mouse remote). Very helpful for kids. Can be parent child interactive quiz, puzzle, etc.
Office: Create/Edit/View any document using amazing android apps. Your office PC onthego!
EMAIL: Using GMAIL or any 3rd party email client stay connected. Do with convenience of full PC
Facebook: stay upto date on your facebook
Stream Movies/Songs directly from google play movies, YouTube, etc.
Watch images on TV with large size from your networked or connect harddisk.
Download Machine: Use any downloading apps and using as your complete download workhouse
Web Server or Personal Cloud Storage setup
WiFi Router: Connect USB Modem and use tv box like wifi router saving loads of money
XBMC & other remote app: beam movies/audio/images/etc content of your android tablet/phone directly to TV without transferring or even controlling tv box
Support 3D content playback
Support all DLNA and PPPoE
Use photo or video editing apps and do all your editing and uploading with ease.
ROOTED for all those modders to install A10s custom ROM, boot loaders, recovery, kernels, etc. (This however void warranty)
UBUNTU Linux compatible for all those developers. (this also voids warranty)

IT guys can use this as thier 2nd PC with existing monitor/mouse/keyboard and enable to do all those things which are restricted in office laptop!
It hardly burns any power and can be kept on 24/7

There are several models in China market. Most of them have same chipset with different features.

Im very inspired by the use of the gadget.

Im planning to start trading of these devices in India. Mostly targeting sale on tradus. There are already few models. But the one Im targeting will be with extra features which others miss for very competitive price.

Wish me luck guys...

Last edited by devrajman : 23rd April 2013 at 12:34.
Old 23rd April 2013, 21:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Kris_risk:
Can you let me know where you bought it from. All the Android sticks I have come across in ebay have been around 3-4K atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_risk View Post
Well I have been "experimenting" with an MK808 for a few weeks now. I bought it for around 2k + a Gyro keyboard. Being a gyro keyboard, I can use it as a mouse and good enough to even play games.

The only problem I have had is to find a good android custom ROM (though there are few good ones).

The stick is quite useful provided you have Wifi (obviously) but I really dont think it can replace a full-fledged laptop or a tablet. Ofcourse, it can make your TV smart and can sufficiently serve as a media center.

On that note, one very useful feature, is the ability to Skype from your team.
Old 23rd April 2013, 23:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Hi Kris_risk:
Can you let me know where you bought it from. All the Android sticks I have come across in ebay have been around 3-4K atleast.
Well it was from a group buy site a few months back and yes it was around 2900 (sorry I meant 2k and some change). Since then the dollar has gone north and so has the price of the stick. Infact a new iteration of MK808 has even come out with inbuilt bluetooth.

I must admit that if I have not made full use of it till now except apart from viewing a couple of movies and ofcourse trying a few different ROMs (the full resolution had some issue in the initial factory loaded ROM which made HD viewing troublesome).

@ devrajman

Initially, I had thought that the potential of such android sticks is huge since the footprint is so small to the degree that even TV manufacturers could give it away as free gifts to promote their products. With that said, what I found is that these sticks (though with good hardware) are still more of an enthusiasts DIY tool because the ROMs are still evolving.

With a good ROM, such sticks would give the Apple TV a good run for their money.
Old 26th April 2013, 10:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post

Im planning to start trading of these devices in India. Mostly targeting sale on tradus. There are already few models. But the one Im targeting will be with extra features which others miss for very competitive price.

Wish me luck guys...
Wish you all the best man ! If your prices are quite competitive , I will probably be the first one to buy . Hope you offer a good discount to Team BHP ians .

Anyone got updates on micromax tv stick ? I want to buy a good tv stick , will be using it as a media player mostly .
Old 28th April 2013, 23:50   #22
BHPian

Just a quick note for anyone planning to purchase TV sticks (at least the ones that run Android and of the MK family).

* Before purchasing, check with the seller if the power supply provided is the 2 amps version. There are ones being shipped with 1 amp power adapters and that wont work, the processor needs more power. Especially when you are importing (like what I did), it is a hassle to get it replaced. Ofcourse, any 2amp power USB power adapter would do and I purchased a Samsung charger usually used for tabs since getting it resent was too much trouble and time consuming.

* Again remember that the stick would have just enough power to keep itself up so if you are planning to hook up external devices like HDD or web cam or even a dongle, get yourself an external power USB Hub. I ended up having to buy a Belkin external powered USB hub.

* Not sure how useful a normal wireless mouse would be for a TV stick but I purchased RC11 Air mouse from Measy which straight plug-in and play and super useful since it is a gyro mouse with inbuilt keyboard.

* Dont expect a mile long range for the Android stick Wifi but it is sufficiently good enough if you have a good quality router. I was using a Wifi direct from my S2 and that was well received by the stick.

* MK808 has 8 GB of space on it (though not fully accessible afaik) so get yourself a memory card since it will come handy. I bought a simple 8gb card.

All in all, though the stick costed me around 2900, I spent around 1k for the power adapter, another 1k for the USB hub, an additional 1.5k for the gyro mouse, Rs 500 for the memory card and another 800 for a USB stick etc.

I have had it for around a couple of months with me and have to admit that it is useful for people who prefer to use the device as a media center (video streaming) or general internet browsing.

Here is what I got sent from Singapore. No customs duty was imposed neither for the stick or the gyro mouse that I got as a second shipment.

The "Android Stick PC" Thread-mk808.jpg

Just in case if it is of help to anyone .
Old 29th April 2013, 20:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Wish you all the best man ! If your prices are quite competitive , I will probably be the first one to buy . Hope you offer a good discount to Team BHP ians .

Anyone got updates on micromax tv stick ? I want to buy a good tv stick , will be using it as a media player mostly .
Thanks girimajiananth for your wishes. Will surely keep you updated.

Fingers Crossed. :-)
Old 1st May 2013, 17:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks girimajiananth for your wishes. Will surely keep you updated.

Fingers Crossed. :-)
I have finally put it up for sale. Below is the link in TRADUS:

http://www.tradus.com/gv-11c-android...lability:true_

Here is YouTube video of the same product:

@girimajiananth Pls PM me if you want a discount! Well I can actually work on discount for all teamBHP members!
Old 6th June 2013, 13:22   #25
BHPian

I need help:

I am using a box and am finding it cumbersome to operate using wireless keyboard mouse or the supplied remote.

Is there a way where I can use an existing android phone as a remote for the tv box?
Old 13th December 2013, 12:39   #26
BHPian

Guys,

Purchased a Micromax SD 600 styx for 5 K and it worked beautifully for couple of months. Post that the RF mouse cum keyboard started giving trouble and hence I contacted Customer Care.

To my horror, they mentioned that the Android Styx comes under the TV section and they do not have a customer care center in Blr.

So, what next was my question to the guy on the phone. He gave me the mobile number of their Technician in Gurgoan and asked me to talk to him.

This guy (Shalandra Rana) said, I will have to ship the unit at my cost to their head office in Gurgaon for him to have a look. I got furious with that guy for expecting me to bear the cost. Instead I suggested that will surrender the mouse in their local service center and let them internally shift it.

To this I got a reply stating that the mobile service center and TV service centers are different managements and the same is not possible. He convinced me that if, I can send it to their HO, he will replace the whole unit with a packed one.

Now, its been 10 days since he has received the unit but, he has stopped responding to my calls and I am stuck.

What do I do? Their customer care number does not connect. There is no response on their HO land line number. Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 26th June 2014, 14:41   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I have finally put it up for sale. Below is the link in TRADUS:

@girimajiananth Pls PM me if you want a discount! Well I can actually work on discount for all teamBHP members!
Hey sorry for the late reply , I never got a notification for this message when you quoted me. Are you still selling it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Guys,

Purchased a Micromax SD 600 styx for 5 K and it worked beautifully for couple of months. Post that the RF mouse cum keyboard started giving trouble and hence I contacted Customer Care.

Cheers
Any updates on this ?
Old 26th June 2014, 14:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Any updates on this ?
Yes, after a bit of a tussle, was able to get the whole unit replaced. But, by the time the replacement arrived, gifted my self a LG smart TV.

Now, the replacement piece is lying new as it has become redundant. So, in all probability will be selling it to my friend. Will take a call by weekend based on whether he is picking it up or not.

Cheers
Old 26th June 2014, 15:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Hey sorry for the late reply , I never got a notification for this message when you quoted me. Are you still selling it ?

Any updates on this ?
No Issues, Yes, I sell them too, Single, Dual and Quad Core TV Boxes. No sticks right now. Let me know if you need my ebay store link.
Old 9th September 2014, 13:20   #30
BHPian

I have a query for the gurus.
I had picked up this "Original Measy U4C Andriod 4.2 RK3188 Mini PC Quad Core TV Stick 1GB RAM 4GB Flash 2.0MP Camera Bluetooth External WIFI Antenna" from an online store.

It worked for a few months but now it won't start. I guess android went kaput. Is it possible to re-install the android on the stick. When I go to the set-up mode that is by pressing the reset button while starting, it asks to insert a CD. What can I do now.
Experts please help. Thanks.

Last edited by human_wheels : 9th September 2014 at 13:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks