Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2013, 18:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

The "Android Stick PC" Thread

I have been planning to buy a Stick PC from Android.
It is not the cost that I am bothered about, I am trying to see if there is good amount of usability in it.

Would it make sense investing on Stick PC. Has anyone made use of Stick PC. If yes, please let me know which Make and what is the Configuration and your review of it.

Mods: Tried searching for this topic, but did not find it. If this is already there request you to merge.
Old 19th April 2013, 19:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Android Stick PC" Thread

hi,

i have a Imito MX2 attached to my lcd. mine is a 4 yrs old lcd and by adding this it has made my dumb lcd into a "smart" lcd. its fun browsing on a 32" lcd. YouTube videos too. i got it for $89 including a bluetooth remote and a 4 port usb hub.
Old 19th April 2013, 19:23   #3
BHPian

The stick pc is a cool thing to have and I was about to buy it few months back. Further thinking on the usability and need of it(will I really use it), I did not find it really useful. The cost when I was thought of buying it was around 4k I think, but I instead bought a Micromax Funbook(first model) for 6.5k. I felt this to be much better option. Funbook can do everything that the stick does, you can connect it to a tv, you can use a wireless keyboard, it plays hd videos etc. The use of stick is much limited in comparision to the tablet. Kids play on the funbook instead of phones and that way my phones are also safe.

Stick pc is cool to have, you can connect it to your tv and thats about it. Will you really use it so much? You can not even play games with that setup, atleast not comfortably.
Old 20th April 2013, 01:31   #4
BHPian

Hey!! its great to see this thread. i have been planning on buying one. If you talk about uses, I plan on using it as:-

1. a media player for my projector setup
2. a torrent client
3. Network Attached Storage
4. Surfing on the big screen

those are the things i plan on doing with it. i almost bought mk808b, but then i heard that quad core sticks were just around the corner, so postponed it.

i think the main difference between a funbook and a stick would be a full sized HDMI port so that you can output HD video and HD audio signals simultaneously (I could be wrong on this, so don't hold me to it). Secondly funbook will have micro usb for video out, so it would need MHL adapter, but many devices still don't support MHL like my onkyo receiver etc. Thirdly extra usb ports. So, that would be the major differences in a funbook and a stick IMO.
Buying decision really depends on what you want from it because even if they have the same operating system both products are made for different uses.

will update you guys when i buy.
Old 20th April 2013, 09:18   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsonu View Post
Hey!! its great to see this thread. i have been planning on buying one. If you talk about uses, I plan on using it as:-

1. a media player for my projector setup
2. a torrent client
3. Network Attached Storage
4. Surfing on the big screen

those are the things i plan on doing with it. i almost bought mk808b, but then i heard that quad core sticks were just around the corner, so postponed it.

i think the main difference between a funbook and a stick would be a full sized HDMI port so that you can output HD video and HD audio signals simultaneously (I could be wrong on this, so don't hold me to it). Secondly funbook will have micro usb for video out, so it would need MHL adapter, but many devices still don't support MHL like my onkyo receiver etc. Thirdly extra usb ports. So, that would be the major differences in a funbook and a stick IMO.
Buying decision really depends on what you want from it because even if they have the same operating system both products are made for different uses.

will update you guys when i buy.
Many tablets come with HDMI ports(micro or mini)and works just like regular one. USB port is free so you can hookup anything you want.

and even if you have MHL in a tablet, by using the adapter, it works like a regular HDMI port, no need for MHL in the reciever.
Old 20th April 2013, 10:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have a Chinese android tv box and it works flawlessly. Bought it for around 4.5k around 6 months back. It has has a hdmi, 2 usb, wifi, ethernet port, infrared remote etc. I have hooked it up to a full hd 40" tv. One usb port is used for a wireless keyboard and mouse and the other is used by my external HDD. Using ES explorer, I can also browse/play files in the shared folders on my PC which is connected to the same wifi router. There are endless possibilities with this setup. MXplayer, games which can be played with the mouse, youtube etc work great.

Cons > i wish there was a way to disable the onscreen keyboard completely. This is a major irritation. This thing is not rooted, i need to find out how to root this thing one of these days and then i can probably disable the onscreen keyboard.
Old 20th April 2013, 18:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "Android Stick PC" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
hi,

i have a Imito MX2 attached to my lcd. mine is a 4 yrs old lcd and by adding this it has made my dumb lcd into a "smart" lcd. its fun browsing on a 32" lcd. YouTube videos too. i got it for $89 including a bluetooth remote and a 4 port usb hub.

Few basic questions, sorry for being a noob at this.
- How do you use a keyboard for keying in things like URL etc
- Does these sticks comes with storage, (to download movies via torrent)
- Can you access them with some other devices thro Wi-fi?
Old 21st April 2013, 01:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Many tablets come with HDMI ports(micro or mini)and works just like regular one. USB port is free so you can hookup anything you want.

and even if you have MHL in a tablet, by using the adapter, it works like a regular HDMI port, no need for MHL in the receiver.
Hey!! thanks for your input but i didn't get the part where you said "usb port is free", because my point was that usually there is only one micro USB port in tablets which is used for connecting MHL (except the ones with dedicated HDMI port and even in that you get only one free USB port whereas in a stick you would get at-least two and maybe more depending on the model). Secondly, i have a Samsung note and it doesn't work when i hook it up to my onkyo receiver whereas it works when i connect it to my projector, hence the incompatibility with the receiver.

i think now you would get my point.

varun
Old 21st April 2013, 02:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post

1. I use a Bluetooth keyboard.

2. This has an onboard storage of 4/8 gb. Forgot. Cant recall. Shall check and update you and also has a micro sd card slot. I do download movies directly on this and watch it too.

3. I am able to access all the files on my pc's shared drive and also able to see pics,songs and videos from my phone on the lcd it is attached to.

If you look up in the tablets or android thread you will find a short review on my imito mx2.

Anything else, let me know.

Regards,
Old 21st April 2013, 09:16   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsonu View Post
Hey!! thanks for your input but i didn't get the part where you said "usb port is free", because my point was that usually there is only one micro USB port in tablets which is used for connecting MHL (except the ones with dedicated HDMI port and even in that you get only one free USB port whereas in a stick you would get at-least two and maybe more depending on the model). Secondly, i have a Samsung note and it doesn't work when i hook it up to my onkyo receiver whereas it works when i connect it to my projector, hence the incompatibility with the receiver.

i think now you would get my point.

varun
Most of these budget tablets that have HDMI ports have separate ports for HDMI and USB. No MHL in these tablets. Just get a mini HDMI to HDMI cable and you are done!

It is only in Higher end devices like the GSII,HTC One, GSIII and Note that MHL is available. In the GSIII and Note2 , both MHL and USB-on-the-Go is supported simultaneously, though it involves either the original dock or an aftermarket cable.

But I guess, given the pricing of these gadgets, we can't really compare them to Android stick PC.

All MHL output devices give HDMI output.It should work with all devices that can accept an HDMI input. In some devices, which actually claim to be MHL ready, the only real difference is that you don;t have to plug in a separate charger to give the required power supply.
Old 21st April 2013, 12:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
HI,

Here are the few pics of my Android Stick connected to my cousins LED.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2998107

Regards,
Old 21st April 2013, 22:57   #12
BHPian

I use Raspberry Pi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
Pretty capable and very programmable can use as a smart tv (xbmc) ..right now working on it to use as a Car PC device.

Super cheap too !
Old 21st April 2013, 23:15   #13
BHPian

Well I have been "experimenting" with an MK808 for a few weeks now. I bought it for around 2k + a Gyro keyboard. Being a gyro keyboard, I can use it as a mouse and good enough to even play games.

The only problem I have had is to find a good android custom ROM (though there are few good ones).

The stick is quite useful provided you have Wifi (obviously) but I really dont think it can replace a full-fledged laptop or a tablet. Ofcourse, it can make your TV smart and can sufficiently serve as a media center.

On that note, one very useful feature, is the ability to Skype from your team.
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_risk View Post
Well I have been "experimenting" with an MK808 for a few weeks now. I bought it for around 2k + a Gyro keyboard. Being a gyro keyboard, I can use it as a mouse and good enough to even play games.

The only problem I have had is to find a good android custom ROM (though there are few good ones).

The stick is quite useful provided you have Wifi (obviously) but I really dont think it can replace a full-fledged laptop or a tablet. Ofcourse, it can make your TV smart and can sufficiently serve as a media center.

On that note, one very useful feature, is the ability to Skype from your team.
where did you buy it from? 2k is a very good price.
Old 22nd April 2013, 15:46   #15
BHPian

Are you sure you paid 2k INR ?

Cause it retails at around $45 in the US :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks