Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 13:21   #16
BHPian

re: New iPhone 5C/5S for just Rs 2,599/2,999 per month : Contract scheme now in India

More Details from Finance Guru!

http://capitalmind.in/2013/11/unbund...d-2-year-plan/

http://capitalmind.in/2013/11/is-the...comment-478743
Old 5th November 2013, 13:48   #17
BHPian

re: New iPhone 5C/5S for just Rs 2,599/2,999 per month : Contract scheme now in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Fairly clear that it is indeed unlimited calling and messaging.

No word on the FUP, I strongly suspect that there is a catch in there.
I still believe it is only Reliance to Reliance and that unlimited 3G will also have a FUP or the speed will be crap.

Having said that, this is a step in the right direction for Indian consumers. With the price of flagship phones skyrocketing the EMI generation will take it with both hands
Old 5th November 2013, 22:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: New iPhone 5C/5S for just Rs 2,599/2,999 per month : Contract scheme now in India

I fail to understand the "offer" here. The actual cost of an iPhone 5S is INR 53.5K whereas Reliance is selling it for INR 72K! This is almost INR 20K extra over the course of two years. I also feel the "unlimited" part is only within the Reliance network with some cap on 3G!

What about processing charge on the credit card? How is the EMI transaction done, is it reflected on the monthly bill? If yes, will Reliance settle the credit card transaction?

Somehow sounds a bit fishy to me.
Old 5th November 2013, 22:58   #19
BHPian

Re: New iPhone 5C/5S for just Rs 2,599/2,999 per month : Contract scheme now in India

The unlimited thing is from reliance to any other network ( local and national including no roaming charges on incoming as well as outgoing). If your phone bill is more than 1000 rupees then this is really a good deal for you. my phone bill every month ranged between Rs. 2000 - 3000. So I am going to avail this offer. I am aneways using a Vodafone and a reliance number. I recharge my reliance number with rs 599 every month which make calls between my long distant gf :P and my mom free.

The connection is going to be a postpaid one where in we will receive an invoice copy every month with our current usage details and the charges mentioned as 0 (zero) for the first two years. If you do any ISD calls or more than 3000 smses which is not a part of the offer, then the charges will be mentioned in the invoice copy for the ISD calls or SMSs you did for which you will have to make a separate payment.

So I feel if you are kind of a person who spends pretty much good time over the phone then this is a really good offer. Went to a reliance world shop today. iphone 5c is readily available whereas the 5s is out of stock and is suppose to be available in next 10-15 days. they will give me a call once the stocks arrive and I will have to go with my credit card.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th November 2013 at 06:05. Reason: Extra smiley removed. Plz limit to 2 smileys per post. Thanks.
Old 5th November 2013, 23:22   #20
BHPian

Until you know the clear cut plan for handset upgrade and terms of contract after 2 years, it will be a prejudice to assume this is beneficial deal. Apple comes with a new model every year and unless they have a good upgrade plan you will be stuck with a contract phone for 2 continuous years. Read the below review in mouthshut about the same http://www.mouthshut.com/blog/aajfpq...Offer-Worth-it
Old 6th November 2013, 06:09   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I read about a good idea somewhere on the net.
The Iphone 5S is a SIMfree phone.
Meaning that it can be used with any SIM card.
The contract price is Rs. 2999/- x 24 = Rs. 71976.
Buy it and sell the Iphone to someone else for Rs. 54000/-
Balance 17976, which works to 749/- per month. This for a connection with unlimited everything except ISD connection.
Only thing I'm worried about is if the 3G is speed capped.
I am sure Reliance would have the phone locked to their network, as the phone is on a contract. Unless you pay the full amount of the contract, they wouldn't unlock the phone for you. So, the option you've mentioned is certainly not feasible.
Old 6th November 2013, 06:18   #22
BHPian

No the phone is unlocked. Reliance will not bother if you use the phone or throw it as they have the money from the bank on the first swipe of the credit card.

Thereafter the credit card company must follow up for the monthly emi, sans rate of interest which is again an extra charge.

Long story short, if anyone seriously has very high call usage (5000 +) and would like to own a 5s without upgrading within 24 months then it is a good offer for him/her. 3G etc would definitely be throttled to base rates.
Old 6th November 2013, 08:06   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Would this offer work if I get my current number shifted to Reliance? As in I really want the offer but wary of changing my number. Currently using airtel from last 6-7 years with the same number.
Old 6th November 2013, 08:13   #24
BHPian

I have this simple calculation. It may not be exhaustive and cover all aspects.

EMI : Rs. 3000 x 24 months = 72,000
iPhone 5s original price: Rs. 53,500
Diff: Rs. 18,500

(Assuming) Monthly Avg usage: Rs. 500 x 24 months = Rs. 12,000
Extra payout for 2 years (18500 - 12000) = Rs. 6500
Per year extra payout = Rs. 3250

Interest percent (based on actual iphone 5s price): ~ 6%
This is prevailing interest rate for electronic items purchased with EMI options.
As the monthly average usage increases, the interest percent will come down and vice versa.

Other points:
* I saw some posts saying REL getting Rs.72000 upfront but I don't think so. REL might be getting only Rs.53500 as phone price. It is the bank which is processing and will pocket the interest.
* REL is CDMA. So after two years of usage, whether I can use the phone with GSM operators? (Unlike iPhone 4, from iPhone 5 onwards, we have different handsets for CDMA/GSM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I read about a good idea somewhere on the net.
The Iphone 5S is a SIMfree phone.
Meaning that it can be used with any SIM card.
The contract price is Rs. 2999/- x 24 = Rs. 71976.
Buy it and sell the Iphone to someone else for Rs. 54000/-
Balance 17976, which works to 749/- per month. This for a connection with unlimited everything except ISD connection.
Only thing I'm worried about is if the 3G is speed capped.
The T&C says the bundle offer is available only for phones bought under this scheme. There is a possibility that the instrument is also checked (IMEI number may be) and the network is disallowed. Bit risk there.
Plus there is difference of CDMA & GSM worlds.

Also, why would someone buy from you for 54k while the new phone is available in the market for 53500? The minute you roll out of showroom depreciation starts

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th November 2013 at 08:37. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post. Thanks.
Old 6th November 2013, 08:37   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Would this offer work if I get my current number shifted to Reliance? As in I really want the offer but wary of changing my number. Currently using airtel from last 6-7 years with the same number.
It maybe worth checking if there is a possibility that you may get stuck to the current set of services for 2 years, even if some new technology gets rolled off (say 4G/LTE).

This looks like an EMI scheme with a forced contract. Will it be better for you to just buy the phone and choose your own service provider?
Old 6th November 2013, 08:59   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

This looks like an EMI scheme with a forced contract. Will it be better for you to just buy the phone and choose your own service provider?
I wasn't looking at the Iphone at all. Was earlier almost decided on the S4 but then thought worth trying the Nexus series and hence waiting for the Nexus 5. The deal above caught my eye since my monthly bill is around 12-1300 Rs. Doing the maths then, we arrive at a figure of approx 43-44k net for the phone in these two years which is a pretty decent deal for the Iphone I feel.
Old 6th November 2013, 10:22   #27
BHPian

Please check this article"Is the Reliance Apple iPhone 5S offer worth it?" by Deepak Shenoy on CapitalMind.in
click the link:http://capitalmind.in/2013/11/is-the...ffer-worth-it/
Quite interesting
Old 6th November 2013, 11:14   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I am sure Reliance would have the phone locked to their network, as the phone is on a contract.
Contract with the bank, not with reliance. So reliance don't care, so its not locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
* REL is CDMA. So after two years of usage, whether I can use the phone with GSM operators?
Previous iPhone 5 in India supported both GSM and CDMA sim based systems. So chances are this will also.
Old 6th November 2013, 11:48   #29
BHPian

Think this is a very good offer and hope it will help in building contract based model in India.
There are few doubts raised in the thread about the total "Unlimited" value of the plan. I did checked with a Reliance store and this is totally Unlimited National Voice / 3 G data plan with no Capping across all operators. Only SMS are capped to 3000 per month as per TRAI guidelines.

The phone is not locked on Reliance.

Also as per TRAI mandate, you can not use the word unlimited in a customer plan if there is a FUP in it.
Old 6th November 2013, 15:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Previous iPhone 5 in India supported both GSM and CDMA sim based systems. So chances are this will also.
Reliance has both GSM & CDMA networks. This iPhone offer is on their GSM network.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks