Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2007, 15:12   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Sony sucks when it comes to home theatre systems. (personal opinion).
the SONY ES series are brilliant..but unfortunately have never been available here in India. lord knows why?? SONY ES series CD players etc are almost benchmark products....

its true for most brands that they haver both the good and bad models..its just your luck whoch of these yu lnad up with..
Old 19th February 2007, 15:46   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Did it come with the official bill & Yamaha warranty ??
Only if I was willing to pay few extra thousands.
Old 19th February 2007, 16:14   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

A funny thing a friend mentioned on another forum.

BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment
Old 19th February 2007, 16:18   #34
BHPian

i have a bose 701 lifestyle speakers find they are amazing it was my dads choice.
Old 20th February 2007, 18:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

I've read many good Home theatre review site and you would hardly see Bose or Sony get top billing for speakers. Sites like hometheatermag, cnet, hometheaterforum etc. For receivers Sony does have some good ones. The best are typically Denon, Pioneer and Herman Kardon.

Talk about Bose in any of these audiophile forums and you are likely to get slaughtered. ;-)

My brother is one of those who thinks anything from Sony is good (some are btw) and is willing to splurge 50K on a hometheater from them.
Old 22nd February 2007, 14:24   #36
BHPian

Dont generalize

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
For receivers Sony does have some good ones. The best are typically Denon, Pioneer and Herman Kardon.
As sk456 said, it depends on which particular model you listened to. Most of the Denon or HK make excellent receivers. They are not the best though. Many high end Pioneers -- badged Pioneer Premier -- beat many Denons.

Quote:
My brother is one of those who thinks anything from Sony is good (some are btw) and is willing to splurge 50K on a hometheater from them.
Guess who makes THE BEST under 30k hometheatre system? It is SONY's DZ-550. It is rated as audiophile by many experts. And the rest of them, most of it, are not worth the money you pay.

Last edited by determinus : 22nd February 2007 at 14:27.
Old 22nd February 2007, 14:45   #37
BHPian

Frankly SONY audio systems available in india are very very low grade!! The Sony TV's are the only worthwhile products to buy...
even with a 20-30K budget one can get far far superior products from other brands... hear others before you waste your money on a Sony..
Old 22nd February 2007, 14:45   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

I have an Onkyo HTS-580, which is a pretty basic model for Home Theatre and it is quite impressive for close spaces.

Also I use a Siennhieser noise cancelling headsets that are extremely impressive.

Like somebody said, bose prices " advise us to buy other sound equipment"
Old 25th March 2007, 23:01   #39
BHPian

Its very sad to see how we all get conned by the likes of Bose and Sony. I think we should all thank the internet for exposing these frauds. We still have an acoustimas setup in our living room and I'm sure there's a Sony boom box somewhere.

I've discovered that for most types of equipment, the more recognizable the name might be to the common man, the lousier the quality. In terms of hi-fi, some on this thread recommend brands like Pioneer, Onkyo and Denon as being "the best", when these brands are known to be on the lousy end of the budget hi-fi spectrum. (and if you're wondering what constitutes good budget hi-fi then check out Arcam, Rotel, Musical Fidelity, Cambridge Audio, Naim...)
Old 26th March 2007, 12:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Frankly SONY audio systems available in india are very very low grade!! The Sony TV's are the only worthwhile products to buy...
even with a 20-30K budget one can get far far superior products from other brands... hear others before you waste your money on a Sony..
I disagree, Sony Home Audio product are good too, Tell me which other brand with enough warranty & after sales support gives you the quality that Sony does.

I hate Sony's CD readers but Sounds quality is much better than what others offer off the shelf. Unless ofcourse you are talking of building your own audio setup by buying different componants
Old 26th March 2007, 12:15   #41
Team-BHP Support

Samsung has good HT's with decend SQ. Theres also JBL which is slightly more expensive. Besides for good budget HT you'll need around 30K and JBL has good ones around that price.
Old 26th March 2007, 12:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

I dont know but so far the Smausng's I have heard didn't gave as good base as the Sony ones. Also JBL gives you half of stuff what Sony provides at a given price. Again am not syaing theyare best or anything but simply stating that Sony has some real nice equipemnt at a given price. Although I do agree that the Quaility of SOny is not what it used to be a couple of years back
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2007, 12:20   #43
Team-BHP Support

Not available easily here in India theres also pioneer which actually sells for lesser price than sony in singapore.

The quality is much much better than the sony's. Pioneer makes some good HT.
Old 18th September 2007, 15:52   #44
BHPian

Guys, which is a good home theater brand (apart from Bose)?

Looking for a brand that gives excellent SQ and reliability at a price higher than a standard Sony. (50 K)
Old 18th September 2007, 16:01   #45
Senior - BHPian

Try Onkyo. Have a look at their site and then check cnet or hometheatermag. They are seriously overpriced when compared to the same model abroad. Since they have a showroom and service support they are ok.

Harman Kardon also has some pretty good ones. But I'm not sure if they have a showroom in Chennai.

However if you can get Pioneer or Denon nothing like it.

Usually its a mix and match that works well. Pioneer/Denon/HK receivers and Polk, JBL, Bose speakers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks