Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2006, 02:14   #16
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled
We all feel that APPLE is forcing us to use it in case we use the the iPod. But how come we dont realize that Microsoft is forcing us to use WM player in any case(Zune or Not).
I wonder how is MS forcing (just by giving it free)!... I have 4 or 5 music players on my PC .. I still use WMP. (Options are always there with windows)
Also i have a pocket PC device which has WMP too.. and it does not require to be synced with WMP on the PC, it's ready to work just by picking songs directly from the disk.
Old 16th September 2006, 03:40   #17
BHPian

Pretty much like with IE

I too liked the WMP. Or was it just that I was jst too lazy to try something else. Once I shifted to Itunes there was no looking back.
Now I dont even use it for videos(Find the Media Player Classic much better in terms of the controls it gives to play around with videos).

Its just that Microsoft just kinda forces a bundle of software on you, whether one initially wanted it or not. And I'm pretty sure Microsoft does include its cost if any with the OS price.

Regards the Pocket PC thing. I do the same thing. But then the collection is not really organised by artist/genre/album. Just imagine what it'd feel like for a 30gb library.
Old 16th September 2006, 18:12   #18
BANNED

It's confirmed atlast!
They were in your computers and made it dumb and it will soon be in your pocket to make it dumb too.
Why? Why? but Why? Can't microsoft make some reliable stuff?
Old 16th September 2006, 19:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

IMHO microsoft products are reliable. Lemme guess how many of the BHPians ae using linux.. May be around 5 %..

The ony thing that makes microsoft products unreliable are 3rd party softwares. If microsoft totally forget about 3rd party softwares then windows will 100X faster as there will no more stupid dlls / service which are needed by 3rd party softwares.

There was article out when vista was in its earlier beta stages that microsoft is finishing thr registry and each programs will have their own dat files which will be used as registry, but this was changed as laws were enforced that 3rd party people will have to change the softwares etc blah blah blah..

So to make it 99% user friendly microsoft program become unreliable. Though i would like to add that i have Windows Xp installed on y Home PC and its moe than 2 years now and no problem yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
It's confirmed atlast!
They were in your computers and made it dumb and it will soon be in your pocket to make it dumb too.
Why? Why? but Why? Can't microsoft make some reliable stuff?
Old 16th September 2006, 19:51   #20
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Though i would like to add that i have Windows Xp installed on y Home PC and its moe than 2 years now and no problem yet.
Well again.
Firstly... where was linux in the picture!
Anyways.. I Have Windows Server 2003 and Linux Fedora Core 4... installed on MY Desktop. And XP Pro on laptop...
Questioning reliability is baseless...
Old 17th September 2006, 12:16   #21
BANNED

There's no point in blaming 3rd party softwares for the problems of windows. If it cannot support 3rd party softwares without losing it, then that's the core of all problems.
And if there wasn't any 3rd party software without any problem, then we dont need any OS whatsoever. Not being able to run without an OS is the prime problem every 3rd party software has.
Old 17th September 2006, 13:00   #22
BHPian

On Zune:

1) Zune WILL be able to play AAC but will not be able to play ogg and other new formats.

2) You will NOT be able to sync Zune with WMP but it will have a separate application ala iPod+iTunes.

3) The only major different feature here is the wireless sharing capability but that too will only be allowed for 3 days after which it will become unplayable.

4) wma/wmv isn't really a better codec just because it gives you a smaller filesize. The relative quality is crap compared to mp3 or aac.

5) Microsoft is the one using proprietary fomats such as wma/wmv. The iPod supports industry developed formats such as H.264 and AAC which isn't exactly an Apple developed codec.

6) iTunes isn't bad. I really do not understand why people say so. Maybe if somebody could explain the specific problems? Its a very good extremely focused music app.
Old 17th September 2006, 13:31   #23
BHPian

Microsoft Rules

1) Zune WILL be able to play AAC but will not be able to play ogg and other new formats. Atleast one thing Microsoft got right

2) You will NOT be able to sync Zune with WMP but it will have a separate application ala iPod+iTunes.

3) The only major different feature here is the wireless sharing capability but that too will only be allowed for 3 days after which it will become unplayable.

4) wma/wmv isn't really a better codec just because it gives you a smaller filesize. The relative quality is crap compared to mp3 or aac. Mp3 is generally the last in the 3 codecs when it comes to audio quality at similar bitrates

5) iTunes isn't bad. I really do not understand why people say so. Maybe if somebody could explain the specific problems? Its a very good extremely focused music app. Someone agrees
Old 17th September 2006, 20:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
4) wma/wmv isn't really a better codec just because it gives you a smaller filesize. The relative quality is crap compared to mp3 or aac. Mp3 is generally the last in the 3 codecs when it comes to audio quality at similar bitrates
I agree with Fuelled.WMA gives far better quality than mp3 and over 90% of my music on cd's is in wma format.

Quote:
6) iTunes isn't bad. I really do not understand why people say so. Maybe if somebody could explain the specific problems? Its a very good extremely focused music app.
Here i agree with Guess.
itunes certainly is better than WMP and along with musicmatch jukebox,its my favourite.
2-3 yrs back when i played some song on itunes [unintentionally] i was surprised to know the difference in SQ between itune vs WMP.Since then i have NEVER used wmp for playing music files though i use it for ripping.
Old 17th September 2006, 20:43   #25
fb1
BHPian

Best for music quality is Winamp + DFX Plugin for winamp... awesome
Old 17th September 2006, 20:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
I agree with Fuelled.WMA gives far better quality than mp3 and over 90% of my music on cd's is in wma format.
he said mp3 is better than WMA dint he???
Old 17th September 2006, 21:20   #27
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx
he said mp3 is better than WMA dint he???
no.... he said it the other way round. and i'd agree with that...

Last edited by SLK : 17th September 2006 at 21:22.
Old 19th September 2006, 15:26   #28
BHPian

Microsoft Unveils Zune Digital Music Player, Online Store, A iPOD rival

Microsoft's long-rumored digital music player, the Zune, was unveiled Thursday with a 3-inch screen, a built-in FM tuner and wireless capability that will let Zune users trade photos, music and video.

The device, which comes in white, black and brown, is expected to be available in a 30GB version in time for the holidays at a yet-to-be-announced price. It will hold around 7,500 songs, 25,000 pictures or 100 hours of video, and according to a Microsoft spokesperson, the handheld is all about making connections.

The digital music entertainment revolution is just beginning, J Allard, Microsoft's vice president of design and development, said in a statement. "With Zune, we are not simply delivering a portable device; we are introducing a new platform that helps bring artists closer to their audiences and helps people find new music and develop new social connections."

SPECS:

WMA, MP3, AAC, JPEG,WMV, MPEG-4, H.264 media
Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g) connectivity
30 GB Hard Drive
3 inch video LCD 320x240
White, Black, and Chocolate Colors
FM Radio
TV output connectivity
Dedicated song download site
DJ Mode (broadcast what you are listening to)
Podcast playback
3 day playback of Wi-Fi transfered songs from friends
XBOX streaming
XBOX (Microsoft) points compatability
Preloaded music videos
Over a dozen accessories at launch
5.6 ounces in weight, 4.4 by 2.4 by 0.58 inches size
Metric: 158 g, 112 by 61 by 14.7 mm size
Old 14th July 2008, 13:43   #29
BHPian

where can i get zune in bangalore..
Old 27th November 2008, 13:39   #30
BHPian

Does anyone use a Microsoft Zune?

I have a Microsoft Zune 80. I want to connect it to my Car's Pioneer 5050.
Is there anyway I can do it.
I think the 5050 has a Aux in and any idea where I can find the Zune Aux cable in Bangalore?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks