Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2014, 12:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Video: Bluetooth Speaker Comparison

Hey fellow Bhpian's I have a hobby to do video comparisons of gadgets. I thought I would share with the TBHP community to get your feedback. These are strictly as a side hobby so dont be too critical

Old 9th June 2018, 20:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Video: Bluetooth Speaker Comparison

Nudging an old thread. I've been using JBL Charge 3 and Bose sound link mini2 as my bluetooth speakers but now I am feeling that I need more output in terms of music and bass to fill up my living area and hence I am in the market for a good Bluetooth speaker and following are the options I am considering.

1. JBL BoomBox: Punchy Bass, Decent Battery Life, waterproof, Portable
Link: https://www.amazon.in/JBL-Most-Power...ds=jbl+boombox

2. Polk: Been Using Polks in my car and pretty happy with it and hence this is in my list
Link: https://www.amazon.in/Polk-MagniFi-S.../dp/B01LW76AKC

3. Bose: Do I even need to any thing about Bose? Balanced soundstage, decent bass and good mids/highs
Link: https://www.amazon.in/Bose-SoundTouc.../dp/B01M28XTM0

I have no experience with sound-bar speakers and hence I am willing for an expert input to help me decide. Thanks!

drive_angry
Old 11th June 2018, 17:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
I have no experience with sound-bar speakers and hence I am willing for an expert input to help me decide. Thanks!
Hey. Could you share your budget? And what are your requirements exactly? The polk model you have listed is just about average. JBL boombox is definitely good and enough for a medium sized room but I would consider it only for casual music listening. The Bose is without a subwoofer and I would suggest you not to buy a soundbar without a sub.

Let me know if you are looking for only music or movies as well. And whether it should be portable or not. I'll be happy to help.
Old 12th June 2018, 13:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Let me know if you are looking for only music or movies as well. And whether it should be portable or not. I'll be happy to help.
Thanks for your quick reply.

I would not be moving with the speaker much so in a way portability is not an issue but having said that, my job actually makes me travel a lot so it should be portable enough.

Boombox is on the top of the list at the moment and online reviews are flooded with all the good things to say about the speaker. further to the list, I think this Sony speaker might be a good choice but I am not sure, I havent heard them in person.

https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/h...UT04-HIGHPOWER

your thoughts?

My budget is about 30-50k

Last edited by drive_angry : 12th June 2018 at 14:00. Reason: typo
Old 12th June 2018, 14:08   #5
BHPian

Sony is no good. I have seen these at gyms and SQ is strictly average.

Check out Marshall Stanmore
https://www.amazon.in/Marshall-Stanm.../dp/B00GI26GPC

And Klipsch The Three

Either ways whatever you buy, please try and audition the product. Sound is very subjective and something that many like, there's always a possibility you might not.
Old 17th June 2018, 21:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:

And Klipsch The Three

Either ways whatever you buy, please try and audition the product. Sound is very subjective and something that many like, there's always a possibility you might not.
One of my friends had Marshall's Woburn, hell of a speaker but something about it didn't feel right. Anyhow after lot of online reading and auditioning, following are the speakers I am considering. If anyone can provide their valuable feeback it'd be really helpful.

1. JBL BoomBox: Getting for about 24K from Paytm mall. I feel its not bassy at 100% volume and sound way bright but this comes closer to meet my requirements.

2. Bose Soundlink Mini ii: Though discontinued but I feel its still kicks modern day bluetooth speaker in the butt. I have read its been plagued by startup and battery issues so I am a bit skeptical about the product.

3. Bose Revolve+: I feel this speaker is well balanced but doesn't pack the punch and bass that crave but has a decent sound stage for a small room.

PS: I have reduced my budget to about 25k and hence have limited options.

Thanks much!
Old 22nd June 2018, 16:14   #7
BHPian

My great-sounding Nakamichi My PawaPlus went kaput last month. I cannot source the battery, nor am I being able to find the battery from local brands in the market.

Have shortlisted the following. Need your recommendation :

1. Should I save money and buy Flip 3/ Sony XB20 at 5.5K?
2. Should I spend more and get the latest gen Flip 4/ Sony XB21/Soundlink Color 2 at 8k-10k?
3. Should I splurge and get the Bose Revolve speaker?

I am not an audioholic as per the deemed jargon on this forum, and my music choices very from Kishore Kumar to Skrillex & MJ.

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd June 2018, 20:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
My great-sounding Nakamichi My PawaPlus went kaput last month. I cannot source the battery, nor am I being able to find the battery from local brands in the market.

Have shortlisted the following. Need your recommendation :

1. Should I save money and buy Flip 3/ Sony XB20 at 5.5K?
2. Should I spend more and get the latest gen Flip 4/ Sony XB21/Soundlink Color 2 at 8k-10k?
3. Should I splurge and get the Bose Revolve speaker?

I am not an audioholic as per the deemed jargon on this forum, and my music choices very from Kishore Kumar to Skrillex & MJ.

Thanks in advance.
Though I am in same boat as you but I have been auditioning these middle weight speakers for a while now and hence can give you some insights.

Between: Flip3 and XB20: I would definately say go for Flip3 that little device produces sound more than its capabilities but don't expect much from it. At 50% volume highs will take over and after that its just non existent thump and all highs. better go with flip4 which has somewhat decent sound stage and good amount of bass even at 100% volume.

Given your choice of music I think the best suited speaker would be Bose Revolve+. Bose revolve was the previous generation which lacked loudness and quality they tweaked it and came up with Revolve+ which retails about 22K. Revolve+ has awesome soundstage and decent amount of bass. The bass is not too much but enough to make one happy and with its 360 degree soundstage its a good home speaker.

Alternatives:
1. Sony XB40
2. JBL Charge3
3. Bose Soundlink Mini2
Old 23rd June 2018, 06:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Between: Flip3 and XB20:
Okay! I have heard pretty bad reviews about the longevity of the battery on the JBLs. It's a hit or miss and battery replacement is extremely difficult.
That's my only point of contention with the JBLs.

Sony has been running in my veins since birth, and I am more confident about the reliability aspect. Sound is decent, though JBLs are a bit warmer of the 2.

I missed stating this - My major requirement shall be whilst travelling only. I have other equipments to satisfy my music cravings. Thus, I am not willing to splurge 22+ on Revolve+.

Have you also reviewed the Mi bluetooth speakers, by any chance? There's not much content about it on net regarding the model being sold in India.
Old 26th June 2018, 18:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Okay! I have heard pretty bad reviews about the longevity of the battery on the JBLs. It's a hit or miss and battery replacement is extremely difficult.
That's my only point of contention with the JBLs.

Sony has been running in my veins since birth, and I am more confident about the reliability aspect. Sound is decent, though JBLs are a bit warmer of the 2.

I missed stating this - My major requirement shall be whilst travelling only. I have other equipments to satisfy my music cravings. Thus, I am not willing to splurge 22+ on Revolve+.

Have you also reviewed the Mi bluetooth speakers, by any chance? There's not much content about it on net regarding the model being sold in India.

Only JBL Xtreme was the only speaker that was plagued by battery problems but JBL has replaced with Xtreme2 (Not yet launched in India).

Considering your requirement, I would say get Charge3. Its a gem of a speaker. I am personally using it. It awesome for small room and packs a punch but do keep it in mind, it a small speaker don't expect much from it.

No, I didn't get to try Mi speakers.
Old 13th July 2018, 21:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:

And Klipsch The Three

Hello Mr. Singh,

I should have paid heed to this post it seems. I had the chance to audition Marshall Stanmore and Woburn today and boy was knocked out from my chair or what.

I had actually listened to instruments in the same song which I didn't even know they existed.

Following are the sore points that are stopping me from taking the plunge.

1. They are not portable.
2. After sales service in India?
3. Which Speaker should I go for Acton is small and bright for me. Stanmore seems like a balanced speaker and Woburn is too pricy. I am getting flat 10k discount on any marshall product on amazon though.
4. How are Marshall speakers in long run?

Waiting for your input. Thanks!
Old 14th July 2018, 10:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Mr. Singh,

1. They are not portable.
2. After sales service in India?
3. Which Speaker should I go for Acton is small and bright for me. Stanmore seems like a balanced speaker and Woburn is too pricy. I am getting flat 10k discount on any marshall product on amazon though.
4. How are Marshall speakers in long run?

Waiting for your input. Thanks!
Hey!
Well they are not portable for sure. Kilburn is pretty much Acton but slightly lower on power and can run without the power supply.
I purchased Acton last year from Amazon since my budget was under 20. No regrets there for sure.
Ideally you need to decide your budget first. Accordingly you will get to decide which one to go for. Nothing like Woburn for sure!
I am not so sure about the A.S.S and neither can I comment on the longevity of the product. With electronics these days, it's almost impossible to say how long the product will last. And I wouldn't worry too much about it.

So let your pocket, ears and heart take the decision for you.
Old 15th July 2018, 13:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hey!
Well they are not portable for sure. Kilburn is pretty much Acton but slightly lower on power and can run without the power supply.
I purchased Acton last year from Amazon since my budget was under 20. No regrets there for sure.
Ideally you need to decide your budget first. Accordingly you will get to decide which one to go for. Nothing like Woburn for sure!
I am not so sure about the A.S.S and neither can I comment on the longevity of the product. With electronics these days, it's almost impossible to say how long the product will last. And I wouldn't worry too much about it.

So let your pocket, ears and heart take the decision for you.
Hi, Good afternoon!

Thanks Mr. Singh. I am okay with 30k budget and Woburn retails about 36K from amazon. I have a 15k discount coupon hence considering Woburn over Stanmore.

The shopkeeper says there is no warranty for online products so I am little skeptical about it. Where are the Marshall service stations in India?

One more thing, I had auditioned Drake's God's Plan on both the speakers using beautiful gold plated 3.5mm gold plated cable

Stanmore changes the voice of the speaker completely (makes it base free, fail safe measure i guess) when pushed to extreme limits but it doesn't let the sound distort at all but Woburn just distorts and becomes very rough when pushed to extremes. so the song was like pure music but when the hip hop beats kicks in, the woofer would just sound like a broken speaker. This scenario is at 6 volume point from Woburn and full volume in my phone.

The guy at the store said, Woburn is not made for hip hop so I didn't ask any question after that. I didn't face any such problem in Kilburn, Stanmore or Acton.

PS: Would you suggest Multiroom functionality? thats additional 10k costly. Ill be using these speakers in living room shelf.
Cheers!
Old 2nd August 2018, 10:10   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The polk model you have listed is just about average.
What exactly was the issue in the Polk Magnifi mini. Am looking at picking one up for home but not for TV but for PC. Watching videos and listening to music on the monitor.

Quote:
Hi, Good afternoon!

Thanks Mr. Singh. I am okay with 30k budget and Woburn retails about 36K from amazon. I have a 15k discount coupon hence considering Woburn over Stanmore.
If you haven't bought anything yet look at Yamaha:

Mini Hi Fi bluetooth system:
https://www.amazon.in/Yamaha-MCR-B02...rds=yamaha+mcr

Proper soundbar with bluetooth:
https://www.amazon.in/Yamaha-YAS-207...3184738&sr=1-1
Old 6th August 2018, 09:20   #15
BHPian

Any idea when is jbl extreme 2 going to be launched here? I was deciding between sony xb41 and extreme 2 . Budget around 15k max.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks