Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2008, 16:10   #571
Senior - BHPian

The 160gig PS3 is launching at the end of this month in the UK.
Old 27th October 2008, 00:44   #572
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone use Life with Playstation? Do you'll want to form a team or something?
Old 27th October 2008, 14:49   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I have questions on PS3

1. Does a PS3 upscale Standard Defition DVDs while playing on a LCD TV and connected through HDMI to 720/1080?

Apparently it does but I haven't tried it personally.

2. Is the Blu Ray Remote available in India? Price?

Yes, you can get it at most Sony World stores. I remember the price being close to a DualShock3 controller - so about Rs.3,000.

3. If i get a PS3 from US, would it play region coded DVDs from India (original like from Moser Baer, T-series etc.).

AFAIK, No.

4. I understand that PS3 games do not have region encoding. Correct?

Yes.

5. Are all PS2 games compatible with PS3? GT3, NFS etc.?
No they are not. Old PS3's were backward compatible but as I understand it, the latest 40GB and 80Gb ones are not. My 40GB bought in India, definitely does not play PS2 games. Not 100% sure about 80GB.
Old 27th October 2008, 15:41   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Oh... What you've said makes sense. I thought I'd just run it through a stabilizer, but of course, a UPS would make sense...

But I'd be getting a home ups for the new house, and I'll be using the PS3 only for about a month and half more [at my current residence] before I move to the new one... So, I am hoping using a stabilizer until then would still be safe?? [if power fails, will the switching off of the PS3 make it crash (or something in those lines) if it happens too often?]

Yes, it can crash especially if you're in the process of updating the system software. Also a home UPS may not cut in as fast as one specifically designed for a computer. They cost just 2-3,000 - better option than a stabilizer IMHO.

A sony hdmi cable costs 2500/-... Whoa! I didn't know... Ok, let me try the cable importantly then, and maybe if lucky, a game...

But, I am sure other good quality HDMI cables are available for less than this price... I would be walking up atleast 3-4 electronic stores tomorrow, so I'll figure and get a cable that's not too expensive..

Panasonic is half the price of Sony. The Sony one is well worth it, if it's free

Bengaluru members: Which is the best place to go buy PS3 titles? I'd like to see a large collection from which I can pick my first one [or two] games... [thinking of getting Resistance: Fall of Man as the first one, but I'll look around before it]...
Try online: Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions! - Play-Asia.com has a lot of titles though not exactly cheap. Ebay India has quite a few. Also a site called gadgets guru has a few well priced titles including Assassin's Creed and Fall of Man for Rs. 1,300:
Cheap PS3 "Resistance Fall of Man" sales India | PS3 "Resistance Fall of Man" Themes | PS3 "Resistance Fall of Man" Game Machine Stuff review

Last edited by StarScream : 27th October 2008 at 15:43.
Old 28th October 2008, 13:58   #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
The 160gig PS3 is launching at the end of this month in the UK.
You do not have to wait. I bought a 60GB PS3 in April 2008 and while upgrading to the infamous 2.41V firmware it got bricked. So I replaced the hard disk myself to 250GB. It was the easiest to way to revive my PS3. And it is currently running firmware 2.5 with lots of movies copied to HDD. So you do not need to wait till 160GB PS3 release in India. I Love my PS3 as a media Hub even though I do not play games
Old 28th October 2008, 14:59   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomythomas View Post
You do not have to wait. I bought a 60GB PS3 in April 2008 and while upgrading to the infamous 2.41V firmware it got bricked. So I replaced the hard disk myself to 250GB. It was the easiest to way to revive my PS3. And it is currently running firmware 2.5 with lots of movies copied to HDD. So you do not need to wait till 160GB PS3 release in India. I Love my PS3 as a media Hub even though I do not play games
The HDD is easy enough to change but if someone is pondering whether to buy a grey market 80gig PS3 then it might be worth them waiting an extra few weeks for these 160gig machines to hit the indian shores.

I think I am going to plump for a 500GB hard drive in a few months. It would be good to use it as a media centre as my modded Xbox is getting a bit old.
Old 29th October 2008, 13:51   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomythomas View Post
Tomy, a few questions about this - how much did your new drive cost? Is the drive special in any way or is it a normal computer drive?
Also what happens to the PS3's OS? Is it hard wired into the board - hence changing drives has no impact? Or does it need to be backed up first? Thanks
Old 29th October 2008, 14:12   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Tomy, a few questions about this - how much did your new drive cost? Is the drive special in any way or is it a normal computer drive?
Also what happens to the PS3's OS? Is it hard wired into the board - hence changing drives has no impact? Or does it need to be backed up first? Thanks
SATA 2.5" HDD (5400). The PS3 will recognice the hdd is not formatted and ask if you want to firmat. The OS is not installed on the hdd.

There is a tutorial on the forum or : GamersReports
Old 29th October 2008, 15:27   #579
Senior - BHPian

What about connecting an external HDD via USB, wont that work as an extention, like it does on a PC?.

Shan2nu
Old 29th October 2008, 15:46   #580
Senior - BHPian

Got it...

Starscream and others,

I ended up buying the PS3 40GB model on Saturday. Sony has an offer on it now, which is a bundled Platinum game title worth 1599/- FREE.. I don't know how many titles there are in 'Platinum' rating, but I got MotorStorm game [apart from a Platinum title branding, it is a platinum colored box compared to other titles which come in transparent one] and the game box also had the label citing it 'is to be given free with PS3 40GB and not for sale'..

I also bought Resistance: Fall of Man and GT Prologue 5.. What can I say? Had a blast Sunday through Tuesday and grumpy at work today.... can't wait to go back to R:FOM... Had my a*$ whacked the first time by the firing 'ORBS'...

Btw, PS3 is connected to a 32" Sony LCD via HDMI cable.. Awesome display and too real at 1080p... Cheers...

Edit: Oh btw. I nearly forgot. I got the PS3 for 24500/- with a non-sony HDMI cable and a game title from the delaer priced around Rs. 800/- [yet to receive the game and it's the best offer he could give]. I'm sorry, please don't think I'm mean, but I am obligated not to reveal where I got this offer from. It's not from any Sony World. I meant to put this up here just to say, 'Bargain Hard' and you should get it.

Last edited by k_ajay : 29th October 2008 at 15:51. Reason: Adding bargain info.
Old 29th October 2008, 15:56   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Starscream and others,

I ended up buying the PS3 40GB model on Saturday. Sony has an offer on it now, which is a bundled Platinum game title worth 1599/- FREE.. I don't know how many titles there are in 'Platinum' rating, but I got MotorStorm game [apart from a Platinum title branding, it is a platinum colored box compared to other titles which come in transparent one] and the game box also had the label citing it 'is to be given free with PS3 40GB and not for sale'..

I also bought Resistance: Fall of Man and GT Prologue 5.. What can I say? Had a blast Sunday through Tuesday and grumpy at work today.... can't wait to go back to R:FOM... Had my a*$ whacked the first time by the firing 'ORBS'...

Btw, PS3 is connected to a 32" Sony LCD via HDMI cable.. Awesome display and too real at 1080p... Cheers...

Edit: Oh btw. I nearly forgot. I got the PS3 for 24500/- with a non-sony HDMI cable and a game title from the delaer priced around Rs. 800/- [yet to receive the game and it's the best offer he could give]. I'm sorry, please don't think I'm mean, but I am obligated not to reveal where I got this offer from. It's not from any Sony World. I meant to put this up here just to say, 'Bargain Hard' and you should get it.
congratulations Ajay! Yeah, it can be addicitive - my wife wants to throw me out of the house with the PS3. That's a good deal you got. I didn't know they are giving MotorStorm free. I just bought Metal Gear Solid 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4.
Old 29th October 2008, 15:58   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
SATA 2.5" HDD (5400). The PS3 will recognice the hdd is not formatted and ask if you want to firmat. The OS is not installed on the hdd.

There is a tutorial on the forum or : GamersReports
Thanks much - I'll probably need to back up games stored on the hard drive before I do this.
Old 29th October 2008, 16:18   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
congratulations Ajay! Yeah, it can be addicitive - my wife wants to throw me out of the house with the PS3. That's a good deal you got. I didn't know they are giving MotorStorm free. I just bought Metal Gear Solid 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4.
Thanks Star... Addictive? It could be an understatement... I was hoping to get some sleep by atleast 12 but ended up getting off my chair only by 1.34am today morning. Extremely addictive and involving..

I didn't know they were giving MotorStorm free either.... Even the Sony World fellas on IndraNagar 100ft Rd didn't know what platinum title was being offered. Their offer was a PS3 with the sony offered title for 24500.. They refused a HDMI cable, so the purchase went elsewhere.

So what type of game is Metal Gear Solid 4?

Star and others: Have any of you played 'Hidden & Dangerous' PC game? Are there any games for PS3 along those lines? I have seen a title named SOHC: Marines [or something like that] but not sure if it is similar...

To all: I don't know if pirated discs can recreate the effect and quality of original titles... An original is an original.. costly but worth it. Please save and buy original discs if you can..
Old 29th October 2008, 17:31   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Star... Addictive? It could be an understatement... I was hoping to get some sleep by atleast 12 but ended up getting off my chair only by 1.34am today morning. Extremely addictive and involving..

I didn't know they were giving MotorStorm free either.... Even the Sony World fellas on IndraNagar 100ft Rd didn't know what platinum title was being offered. Their offer was a PS3 with the sony offered title for 24500.. They refused a HDMI cable, so the purchase went elsewhere.

So what type of game is Metal Gear Solid 4?

It's a third-person action adventure game - very highly rated.

Star and others: Have any of you played 'Hidden & Dangerous' PC game? Are there any games for PS3 along those lines? I have seen a title named SOHC: Marines [or something like that] but not sure if it is similar...

Don't know about Hidden & Dangerous but perhaps Call of Duty 4 / Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 / Battlefield Bad Company are titles similar to what you are looking for.

To all: I don't know if pirated discs can recreate the effect and quality of original titles... An original is an original.. costly but worth it. Please save and buy original discs if you can..
Do you even get pirated discs for the PS3?
Old 29th October 2008, 19:01   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Do you even get pirated discs for the PS3?
whats the point of a pirated PS3 disc
1) these are bluray discs and given the amount of content u need to replicate them on bluray only
2) they are not locked or region coded in anyway, so if you feel its not cheap here, then buy it outside india. however i have noticed they cost the same everywhere

Also I don't think its right to discuss illegal stull like piracy here on tbhp

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks