Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2009, 13:40   #706
BHPian

Hi Gamers !

i'm planning to buy a PS3 for my bro-in-law from the US and since i'm new to the console gaming concept, i had some noob questions:
1. Since the unit will be purchased in the US, will it seamlessly work with gaming discs purchased in india, or does it require some kind of region setting to be cracked ?
2. What are the other regional incompatabilities (if any ) that i'll have to deal with ?

i think these questions would have been answered before but i'll really be greatful if the wise men can do a quick summary

Regards,
Vinayak
Old 19th November 2009, 22:44   #707
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayak007 View Post
Hi Gamers !

i'm planning to buy a PS3 for my bro-in-law from the US and since i'm new to the console gaming concept, i had some noob questions:
1. Since the unit will be purchased in the US, will it seamlessly work with gaming discs purchased in india, or does it require some kind of region setting to be cracked ?
2. What are the other regional incompatabilities (if any ) that i'll have to deal with ?

i think these questions would have been answered before but i'll really be greatful if the wise men can do a quick summary

Regards,
Vinayak
1 - games have no region coding so it dosent matter where you buy games they will work on your ps3.

2 - the only region issues you will have is with dvds or blue rays. blue rays in india with not work with your ps3, but most blue rays are region free so thats what you have to check before buying a blue ray.
Old 21st November 2009, 20:12   #708
Senior - BHPian

If I buy an Xbox 360 from US, will i be able to access Xbox Live in India? In US, you get a silver membership on buying it. So is it possible to use the membership here too? Similarly with the PS3, will i be able to connect to the Playstation Network?

P.S: Anyone has the new PS3 slim?
Old 22nd November 2009, 00:19   #709
Senior - BHPian

The other possible issue is that if you buy in the US you get a raw power cord which you should connect to a 110V source. I've read in a few places that that PS3 that you buy from the US supports uptil 220V but do you want to take that risk??
Old 23rd November 2009, 13:21   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Yesterday I put on my PS3 and the controllers didn't sync wirelessly with the console. I attached the USB cable to pair them again with the bluetooth module with no luck. They work when tethered but lose the connection when unattached.

I did an internet search and was surprised to find that it is a very common problem. I tried all the workarounds people had mentioned but nothing worked. I have come to the conclusion that the bluetooth chip has failed in just over a year since purchase.

I called Sony and they asked me to take it to their service center. They also said on the phone that they dont do hardware repairs in India and so if you're unlucky enough to have a hardware failure, the best they can do is offer you a discount on a new PS3!

This, in my opinion, is bizarre. Sony in India sells the PS3 with the standard 1-year warranty they offer elsewhere. Only difference is that in the US, Canada etc. you have the option of paying for repairs after warranty expiry. In India, you dont. So shouldn't Sony give a longer warranty period?

What happens tomorrow when the blu-ray lens packs up - a very common occurence in our dusty conditions? Junk the console? I as a customer am willing to pay for repairs but the company doesnt offer any! Things like cleaning/changing the lens and replacing the bluetooth module are minor repairs. The web is full of videos on how to do it. I can buy a PS3 bluetooth board for $20 off eBay.

Worse comes to worst, I will do it myself but Sony's attitude towards Indian customers of the PS3 is shocking. Why sell a product that you can't support? Potential buyers of the PS3 be aware that you're on your own after the meagre 1-year warranty expires.
It happened with my colleague who bought a Sony VAIO laptop from the US and the Sony center in Bangalore did not agree to have his CD/DVD drive replaced as it was just 3-4 months after he had bought which comes with 1 year warranty.
The Sony service center people said we don't support or adhere to any warranty for Sony products purchased outside India. Weird!!
Old 25th November 2009, 20:11   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
It happened with my colleague who bought a Sony VAIO laptop from the US and the Sony center in Bangalore did not agree to have his CD/DVD drive replaced as it was just 3-4 months after he had bought which comes with 1 year warranty.
The Sony service center people said we don't support or adhere to any warranty for Sony products purchased outside India. Weird!!
I guess they are pretty strict about equipment bought overseas. But this bizarre PS3 policy is for stuff bought in India!
Anyways I argued with Sony and they agreed to replace my PS3 for free. Imagine, a 20k replacement for a repair that would, at best, have cost 2k - talk about being penny wise, pound foolish.
They agreed to the replacement just in time as well. Before I was to give my old PS3 in for replacement, I decided to delete all my data. It told me there was a new system update available. I thought what the hell, let's do it. The damn update (ver. 3.1) bricked my machine. The update install just wouldn't complete. I couldn't get to the menu or safe mode to reformat the drive. Sony Customer Care told me tough luck, there is no fix for this either!
I gave it like that for replacement.
Old 13th December 2009, 11:55   #712
BHPian

Hi guys,

The opening cinematic from Halo-Reach...

Old 13th December 2009, 15:06   #713
BHPian

So did any PS3 owners try out "Uncharted 2 : Among Thieves"..I bought it on wednesday but haven't played it yet since I'm in Chandigarh for a few more days.
Old 13th December 2009, 15:28   #714
BHPian

Its an awesome game. Graphics are top notch
Old 14th December 2009, 02:22   #715
Senior - BHPian

Hey Falcon009, how is it compared to Uncharted: Drake's Fortune? Is "Among Thieves" is even much much better?
Was playing Uncharted but stopped for last few days as no time at all :(
BTW, PS3 turned out to be an amazing machine for me. It almost solved my problem of media player and now I can play Blu-Ray also. And have so many amazing games, I'm loving it, only problem is that they are bit too costly.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:15   #716
BHPian

@kaushik : I feel UC Among Thieves is much better compared to UC1. Game play wise Among theives is more interesting. I buy games from game forums available at a lower than market cost
Old 17th December 2009, 13:38   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
So did any PS3 owners try out "Uncharted 2 : Among Thieves"..I bought it on wednesday but haven't played it yet since I'm in Chandigarh for a few more days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hey Falcon009, how is it compared to Uncharted: Drake's Fortune? Is "Among Thieves" is even much much better?
Was playing Uncharted but stopped for last few days as no time at all :(
BTW, PS3 turned out to be an amazing machine for me. It almost solved my problem of media player and now I can play Blu-Ray also. And have so many amazing games, I'm loving it, only problem is that they are bit too costly.
I think Uncharted 2 is the best game for PS3. If you PS3 uncharted 2 is a must. Don't miss it. Its way better than the first.
And no game comes close to it.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:51   #718
BHPian

For gaming i would go for the xbox 360, especially considering the xbox natal coming up next year, that thing (if it works as promised) will revolutionize how we play our games. But as a complete package, blu ray being a selling point i would go for playstation3 and the slim one looks neat
Old 17th December 2009, 18:24   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon009 View Post
@kaushik : I feel UC Among Thieves is much better compared to UC1. Game play wise Among theives is more interesting. I buy games from game forums available at a lower than market cost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
I think Uncharted 2 is the best game for PS3. If you PS3 uncharted 2 is a must. Don't miss it. Its way better than the first.
And no game comes close to it.
Hmmmm so my next game is Uncharted 2 then. Was thinking of playing Metal Gear Solid 4 once I'm done with KillZone2 and Uncharted 1.
BTW, how about Resistance and Infamous? These are available on platinum and will be cheaper to pocket.
And any more recommendation for War/Adventure/mission games for PS3? May be with ratings and which are cheaper to get.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 17th December 2009 at 18:27.
Old 17th December 2009, 19:53   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hmmmm so my next game is Uncharted 2 then. Was thinking of playing Metal Gear Solid 4 once I'm done with KillZone2 and Uncharted 1.
BTW, how about Resistance and Infamous? These are available on platinum and will be cheaper to pocket.
And any more recommendation for War/Adventure/mission games for PS3? May be with ratings and which are cheaper to get.
MGS 4 and UC 2 are both great in their respective aspect. You can get mgs 4 for 1500 ( Platinum Edition i guess). will pm you the forum name from which you can get both at a low cost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks