Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2018, 18:14   #1456
BHPian

re: XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Francis,
So, I gave the PS4 to Nikesh and he returned it fully repaired and working after about 4 to 5 days. Seems to be a very knowledgeable person with regards to the PS4 and he had at least 15 to 20 sets in his room waiting for repairs. I am quite happy with the job he has done though I did find him to be quite expensive. However, I have no idea about what repairs for a PS4 cost so I may be mistaken here. He also offers a 2 month warranty on his repairs. I have not been able to test out the set much as my son is out of India and I have no clue about PS4 games.

Regards,
SS
Glad that the PS is working, happy to help.
Yes the guy is expensive, but he does the job professionally and I don't think you will need to visit him again.
My Xbox 360 is still working great past the mod, it's been around 4 years since I got it done. No complains whatsoever.
Old 24th August 2018, 10:06   #1457
BHPian

Folks,
I have a slim PS3 for about 8 years and somehow didn't upgrade until now as my time spent on games reduced drastically over last 2-3 years. But a recent outing to a friend's place and overnight games on his PS4 Pro, got me pondering over an upgrade. Now, I'm not sure whether to go for PS4 Pro or the more powerful XboX One X or should i just wait for the launch of PS5 (seems to be around next 1-1.5 years.
Old 24th August 2018, 11:21   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Folks,
Now, I'm not sure whether to go for PS4 Pro or the more powerful XboX One X or should i just wait for the launch of PS5 (seems to be around next 1-1.5 years.
Not a big gamer but just bought the Xbox one S. It seemed like MS has good subscription based offers in India too. So went for Xbox.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 19:06   #1459
Senior - BHPian

@ ventoman - Before a suggestion can be made you need to first understand what your exact gaming requirements are. Casual, hardcore, only games or a multi media hub etc.
Between the two, it depends on the games you play, the content you like accessing and the controller you comfortable with. I got the ps4 simply because I was comfortable using the PS remote having used it with the 3,2,and the 1.
Old 25th August 2018, 10:17   #1460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
@ ventoman - Before a suggestion can be made you need to first understand what your exact gaming requirements are. Casual, hardcore, only games or a multi media hub etc.
Between the two, it depends on the games you play, the content you like accessing and the controller you comfortable with. I got the ps4 simply because I was comfortable using the PS remote having used it with the 3,2,and the 1.
Thanks.
I already have an alternate solution for multi media. So this console is more of a casual gaming requirement for weekends. Always been in the habit of "When you buy, buy the best" when it comes to electronics and didn't want to be left with an outdated console in a year's time. Hence the confusion.
Old 25th August 2018, 11:58   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Thanks.
So this console is more of a casual gaming requirement for weekends. Always been in the habit of "When you buy, buy the best" when it comes to electronics and didn't want to be left with an outdated console in a year's time. Hence the confusion.
My console gaming is limited only to PS3 and now PS4. I have zero knowledge of the XBox world.
In my biased opinion, I would suggest you go in for the PS4 Pro which is 4K enabled.
Play Station has a few PS exclusive games that you cannot miss out on.
Uncharted Series, The Last Of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Of Us 2 (Launching soon)

Whatever console you buy, make sure to get God Of War 2018. This is on its way to become game of the year for this year.
Upcoming games in Sept 2018 - Marvel's Spider Man, Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
Old 26th August 2018, 11:25   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
My console gaming is limited only to PS3 and now PS4. I have zero knowledge of the XBox world.
In my biased opinion, I would suggest you go in for the PS4 Pro which is 4K enabled.
Play Station has a few PS exclusive games that you cannot miss out on.
Uncharted Series, The Last Of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Of Us 2 (Launching soon)...
I've been a PSx fan as well right from PS2. But I'd have gone for Xbox One X based on specs (Xbox One X: 6 TFLOPS, 326GB/s, 12GB GDDR5;PS4 Pro: 4.12 TFLOPS, 218 GB/s, 8GB GDDR5), if not for PS exclusive games like GoW. Hence my dilemma. It's looking like a choice between powerful console with superb online/game pass options(Xbox one X) vs almost powerful console with exclusive games (PS4 Pro).
Old 6th November 2018, 14:03   #1463
BHPian

Thinking of getting a Nintendo for my 7 year old from the US.

Does getting the new 2DS XL make sense in 2018?

Or should I go full on with the Switch given,
1. Its library of games is quite limited at the moment?
2. More prone to hardware issue or failure since it’s a relatively new console in its first year of production? With no Indian warranty is it a risk worth taking?

New 2DS XL costs $150 with preloaded Mario Kart 7, while the barebones Switch console comes at $299.

Last edited by Pequod : 6th November 2018 at 14:06. Reason: Added price comparison.
Old 21st November 2018, 12:30   #1464
BHPian

Friends
Is it advisable to buy old gaming consoles as I don't want to spend huge money on it.
Is there any reliable website or shops i can look for in Bangalore or any bhpian is planning to sell (No one can be as trusty as bhpian)
I tried OLX but not able to get a good deal or reliability comes as a factor.

On the other hands are these available for rent also

Rgds
Old 21st November 2018, 13:00   #1465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Thinking of getting a Nintendo for my 7 year old from the US.

Does getting the new 2DS XL make sense in 2018?

Or should I go full on with the Switch given,
1. Its library of games is quite limited at the moment?
2. More prone to hardware issue or failure since it’s a relatively new console in its first year of production? With no Indian warranty is it a risk worth taking?

New 2DS XL costs $150 with preloaded Mario Kart 7, while the barebones Switch console comes at $299.
We bought Nintendo Switch few months ago as I was not able to find our 9 years old Wii console. NS is good but just last week we found Wii and since then no one has touched the NS. Wii is way more fun especially for kids of 6-7 years age.

I guess NS will be a lot more fun with the card board toys but those are way too expensive and will be a pain to assemble every time you want to play.

Used Wii consoles are available online. 2DS XL will be a total waste of money as the screen is way too small.
Old 21st November 2018, 13:02   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Friends
Is it advisable to buy old gaming consoles as I don't want to spend huge money on it.
Guess buying a used console is just like buying any used gadget or automobile; depends upon how the previous owner has treated it. Best if you can find a deal with someone you know personally or through your friend/social circle.

An alternative I would suggest is to see if you can get an older generation console (PS3/360 etc.). With the PS3 especially, the game library is versatile, astounding and cheap compared to new gen games. Frankly the current generation console games dont hold a candle to the PS3 library.

Have owned consoles as diverse as the original Atari VCS, the SNES, a GameBoy, the PS2, PS3 and PS4, and this is what I feel.
Old 21st November 2018, 13:07   #1467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
We bought Nintendo Switch few months ago
Thanks mate! Can’t seem to find any used Wii consoles for a fair price. Checked on Amazon US too but prices are too high.
Old 21st November 2018, 14:33   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Guess buying a used console is just like buying any used gadget or automobile; depends upon how the previous owner has treated it. Best if you can find a deal with someone you know personally or through your friend/social circle.

An alternative I would suggest is to see if you can get an older generation console (PS3/360 etc.). With the PS3 especially, the game library is versatile, astounding and cheap compared to new gen games. Frankly the current generation console games dont hold a candle to the PS3 library.
Thanks for the good pointers. Let me explore PS3 (old/new)
Old 21st November 2018, 16:30   #1469
JLS
BHPian

My PS4 is not recognizing DVDs I got from US, is there any region hack for PS4?
Thanks
JLS
Old 23rd February 2020, 23:44   #1470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
I have hooked it up with a 65" Samsung FHD LED Plasma and Logitech Z5500.. the combo is insane, however will upgrade to a Mi LED projector or 55" 4K TV soon
Reviving this old thread, did you manage to switch to a 4K TV? I also have a 70" FHD LED and apart from the size the gaming experience has been very underwhelming. Been thinking about switching to 55" 4K TV if the difference is stark. Any pointers are welcome

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks