Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2020, 20:10   #1501
BHPian

Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
With PS5 launch soon is it wise to buy a PS4 now ? I am mostly into racing, fighting and war games. Requesting gurus to advise.
PS5 is launching with SSD and all the other components are updated as well, which would result in huge improvements in graphics and game loading time, so wait for the ps5, moreover after a while all the new game launches would for ps5 only, so point in buying ps4 right now.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:24   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
PS5 is launching with SSD and all the other components are updated as well, which would result in huge improvements in graphics and game loading time, so wait for the ps5, moreover after a while all the new game launches would for ps5 only, so point in buying ps4 right now.
Despite the imminent launch of the PS5, support for PS4 is not going anywhere for at least next 3 to 4 years. Made amply clear by both the global play station marketing head as well as the CEO of Playstation.

In-fact for some people getting a PS4 Pro now makes more sense instead of jumping onto the expensive PS5 eco system straight away.

Last edited by bigron : 22nd October 2020 at 13:26.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 15:32   #1503
BHPian

I'm not a console gamer, but knowing what a massive leap ahead the PS 5 is above the PS 4/Pro, I wouldn't touch the old ones with a barge-pole. The performance difference is staggering to say the least.

But, maybe that's just me.

Cheers
Old 26th October 2020, 14:04   #1504
BHPian

This may sound like an absolute n00b and repetitive question here, but here it goes.

I am not into gaming at all, however I want to get a console for my 12 year old son. He too is not into gaming and this would be a first for him.

1. Does it make sense to get a PS4 or XBox One S? I don't want to spend too much

2. Which platform is better? I want something where with some basic investment (I am okay with monthly spends) I can get some new games to play and the console lasts me for 4-5 years

3. We are not into multiplayer gaming. At best I will play with my son one on one.

4. I have an AVR and would be moving to 4K TV in a year's time.

5. Is there any source where I can read up about a noob's guide to consoles (current ones preferred). Most articles are a bit older without considering the current scene.
Old 26th October 2020, 14:35   #1505
BHPian

1. Does it make sense to get a PS4 or XBox One S? I don't want to spend too much
Yes, but would suggest try the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One X as you will be moving to 4K in future.

2. Which platform is better? I want something where with some basic investment (I am okay with monthly spends) I can get some new games to play and the console lasts me for 4-5 years

Playstation has very good exclusives, Xbox will be cheaper on pocket. Xbox has gamepass, which is like Netflix of gaming. for mere 800 per month, you get access to 100's of games. And after Nov 10, this is going to include EA games too. A CD for these platform costs between 2-3k per game.

3. We are not into multiplayer gaming. At best I will play with my son one on one. Multiplayer gaming is better on both platforms.

4. I have an AVR and would be moving to 4K TV in a year's time. Would suggest go for Xbox, as I use it as my main streaming device for Dolby Atmos content which is not available on PS yet.

5. Is there any source where I can read up about a noob's guide to consoles (current ones preferred). Most articles are a bit older without considering the current scene.

Ask here, I am sure everyone can help you.
Old 27th October 2020, 19:52   #1506
Team-BHP Support

Guys, between the PS4 and PS5, please get a PS4. I cannot believe people are recommending the PS5 straight away! The PS4 is a very competent console even today, there are so many exclusive titles (which for an average gamer would take months to complete!), doubles up as a media player (with support for Netflix, Prime Video, Youtube etc.) and the PS4 Pro has 4K support if you are hellbent on the larger resolution/IQ for your 4K display.

There's absolutely no need for an SSD either. The console boots up in less than 20 seconds and your game load times aren't going to see a massive difference if you swap the stock hard drive with an SSD due to the hardware of the PS4; load times are longer for some titles anyway and this is unlike a PC which sees a massive difference when you swap the hard drive for the PS4.

From what I read, the PS5 is going to be launched at 40k INR for the digital version (no bluray, only PSN downloads) and 50k INR for the regular bluray version. The PS4 retails at 28k today in Amazon bundled with a few titles to get you started, older titles are cheaper after they've released as Playstation Hits, used titles are way cheaper at CeX stores. I had traded in several titles at CeX outlets for as low as Rs. 300 per title (i.e. buying price at Rs. 1500, selling price at Rs. 1200). That's super VFM for a title that kept you engrossed for some time! C'mon, you used to pay more than that for a 2 hour movie at a multiplex! I switched to PSN titles later since I have a high bandwidth connection which most do today so it's easy to download a title off the PSN Store.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 22:57   #1507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
This may sound like an absolute n00b and repetitive question here, but here it goes.

I am not into gaming at all, however I want to get a console for my 12 year old son. He too is not into gaming and this would be a first for him
Having owned every PlayStation since the PS2 as well as a Nintendo Switch, here’s my two cents.

1. Getting a PS4 makes definite sense today - AAA games (gaming parlance for high budget flagship games) are dirt cheap compared to when they launched. Though I have never owned any of the Xbox consoles, I figure it holds good for them too.

2. It is accepted at this stage that PlayStation has better quality and quantity of exclusive games, by far (meaning games playable only on a particular platform). And most of those games cost you less than thousand bucks as on date, or 1.5k at the most except for games released this year.

3. Not much of local or split screen multiplayer games on either platform I believe.

4. If you are moving to 4K please look at buying the PS4 Pro if budget permits.

5. Most of your questions would get answered here.

NB - Just noticed you are asking for your 12 year old. You must know that games like movies are age rated, and many of the highly reviewed games on PlayStation are rated for 18 or 16 year olds. Just putting it out there, only you could decide what level of adult content you would want your child exposed to.

Last edited by Pequod : 27th October 2020 at 23:04. Reason: Additional info!
Pequod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 18:36   #1508
BHPian

Re: XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles

Thanks for the info.

What is the source to get games at the best price? Amazon or some other source?

Any good racing games apart from Minecraft for 12 yr old to start with?
Old 29th October 2020, 19:55   #1509
BHPian

Quick update. Finally went for a PS4. Ordered a few games too. Should be getting it over the weekend maybe.

So the sources of games are physical CDs via Amazon/Flipkart and digital downloads from PSN right? Any other sources to get CDs or digital downloads? What is Steam?

I am looking more at games for 12 yr old (some car racing, maybe minecraft, strategy, etc.).

How important is the second controller? Is it worth investing in it? Again, is Amazon the best source?

Sorry - am asking too many questions but this seems to be the best source of information and googling is just giving some standard PR articles from Sony.
Old 29th October 2020, 21:35   #1510
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry - am asking too many questions but this seems to be the best source of information and googling is just giving some standard PR articles from Sony.

Try the CeX stores, they are located in evey major city and deals in consoles, mobiles, many other gadgets and games of evey platform, they sell new as well as old games and buy back old games as well.
Old 29th October 2020, 22:29   #1511
BHPian

Marques Brownlee has unboxed the PS5. It looks very heavy and bulky compared to my PS4.

This unboxing by iJustine.

Old 29th October 2020, 22:52   #1512
BHPian

What are the gamers take on the New upcoming X Box Series S /X and PS5.
I had the PS1, PS2 and stopped at PS3 , now thinking of switching over to X Box Series S.
Any inputs or should I stick to Sony ?
Old 30th October 2020, 09:59   #1513
BHPian

Is second controller useful? Which games have dual gameplay? Is it split screen experience?
Old 30th October 2020, 12:10   #1514
BHPian

Quote:
Is second controller useful? Which games have dual gameplay? Is it split screen experience?
It is mostly used in sports games where 2, 3 & 4 players can play together like NBA and FIFA, i have played FIFA with 3 friends and it was very enjoyable, currently the game is on sale if you want it.

I'm a PC gamer though, don't have much idea about the consoles.
Old 30th October 2020, 12:38   #1515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A second controller is useful if there's another player playing a co-op title. Adventure or side-scrollers or puzzle-platformer titles which have 2 (or more) players in the same display (not split-screen) like Unravel Two, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Little Big Planet 3 etc.

No they are not split-screen.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks