Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2014, 14:51   #1366
BHPian

re: XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles

Hi Guys,

Need advise.

I bought a used PS3 which is getting shipped from Bangalore to Hyderabad today. Can you please tell me if I need to buy a UPS ? We don't experience power fluctuations but would need your advise.

have a voltage stabilizer though, will that suffice ?
Please help !
Old 30th May 2014, 15:22   #1367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Can you please tell me if I need to buy a UPS ?

Nah not required. Not even the voltage stabiliser. The PS3 can take some amount of abuse and it has a universal voltage input (110-230V) so lower voltages wouldn’t be a problem.

In the event of a power outage, the system will prompt you to shut down the unit properly after the power resumes but that's about it.

Oh and happy gaming!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th May 2014 at 15:23.
Old 11th July 2014, 15:00   #1368
BHPian

Gurus,

Need advice.

I am in the market looking for the gaming wheel to be used in GT5/GT6/DIRT3 & F1. Currently i see only two options that too from Logitech which are :

Driving Force GT - Rs. 15,495/-
http://gaming.logitech.com/en-in/pro...t-gaming-wheel

& G27 Racing wheel - Rs. 34,995/-
http://gaming.logitech.com/en-in/pro...7-racing-wheel

The Driving force wheel has only two pedals which makes me think as what happens to the clutch. The G27 wheel is totally out of my budget.

Request feedback on both of these interms of the experience and if used wheels can be bought too.

Please help !
Old 11th July 2014, 15:58   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Gurus,

Need advice.

I am in the market looking for the gaming wheel to be used in GT5/GT6/DIRT3 & F1. Currently i see only two options that too from Logitech which are :

The Driving force wheel has only two pedals which makes me think as what happens to the clutch. The G27 wheel is totally out of my budget.

Request feedback on both of these interms of the experience and if used wheels can be bought too.

Please help !
No clutch, you have to drive them in the auto-transmission mode.
Old 11th July 2014, 16:03   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
No clutch, you have to drive them in the auto-transmission mode.
How is the gaming experience with the wheel ? Is it compatible with GT6 ?

Is it a good buy over G27 ?

EDIT : Came across some alternatives as well

http://www.geniusnet.com/Genius/wSit...aseDSD=10&mp=1

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 11th July 2014 at 16:31. Reason: Included some text
Old 13th July 2014, 02:39   #1371
BHPian

Posting a question here, need some advice. I owned a ps3 last year before the ps4 came out for about 5-6 months and I primarily used to play battlefield 3 online on it and absolutely fell in love with everything about it. I sold it since I was having a hard time concentrating on my studies. Anyways, now when I look back, I regret it and with battlefield 4 out, I honestly wish to continue fps gaming. So, I was looking at olx for a pre owned ps3 and came across a few for around 12-15k(can't afford a brand new one as of now) . The new 12gb one for 18k doesn't make any sense to me and is absolutely stupid if you ask me. I've never bought a pre owned console before and I wanted to know if it's safe to buy one? What's the chance it may konk out on me? And the way I see it, ps4 should be good to go in about a year or maybe more due to its highly limited library.
Old 15th July 2014, 14:31   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
I've never bought a pre owned console before and I wanted to know if it's safe to buy one?
My Brother had bought an Xbox 360 pre-owned from someone in Bangalore and he's been using it for the past 2 years with no problem at all.

Just a couple of things you need to check are -
1. Test the system out in the seller's place before you accept it
2. Ensure all the controls and whatever accessories you are buying are working.
3. If you can negotiate such that you pay him part of the money test it for a few days and pay the rest, that's your best bet
4. Try and get the seller to include the games he has in your deal (assuming he won't be using them any more)
5. Ensure you receive all the required connecting cables and wires etc. and they they are in good shape.
6. Ideally, try and get something which is not too old.
7. If you know someone with access to an office intranet or something like that, you can check there. Closed communities are a better bet.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

To the others on this thread who own Xbox 360 consoles in Bangalore - Anyone interested in game exchanges?
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:42   #1373

Quote:
Gurus,

Need advice.

Please help !
Hey Abhi, so I use the DFGT, I also bought it because of the low price point. It's a great wheel no doubt however, the G27 comes with a clutch and a H gate gearbox. The G27 also has dual feedback motors and a different internal mechanism which makes it atleast 30% more responsive.
You can manage with a DFGT however, to be honest, the G27 can help you more in terms of realism and more competitive laptimes. Not to say the DFGT is bad (I use it!), it's just that the G27 is a lot better.

Here is a link to the G27, it even comes with an EMI option to help you out. Here is a link to the DFGT.
price points here are much cheaper that what you mentioned above! hope this helps, let me know if you need more info!
Old 10th August 2014, 15:14   #1374
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Need advise.

I bought a used PS3 which is getting shipped from Bangalore to Hyderabad today. Can you please tell me if I need to buy a UPS ? We don't experience power fluctuations but would need your advise.

Please help !
I am using ups ,buy good quality ones from APC .Model RS 600 will do.
Without ups,you won't be able to properly shut it down.
Unless you properly shut it down,it will get corrupted in no time.
Old 13th August 2014, 08:39   #1375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gurus,

Need advice.
Not sure if I am too late, but I just bought a G27 from Amazon.in for 17K. The box was delivered yesterday.
Here's the temporary setup :

XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles-10593016_10152609971834583_267341338812025883_n.jpg

It is now selling on Amazon for around 20k, and on ebay for around 17.5 K.

Plan to build a DIY simul8r inspired rig for the setup.
Old 13th August 2014, 11:52   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Not sure if I am too late, but I just bought a G27 from Amazon.in for 17K. The box was delivered yesterday. Here's the temporary setup : It is now selling on Amazon for around 20k, and on ebay for around 17.5 K. Plan to build a DIY simul8r inspired rig for the setup.
Wow that's a brilliant price. How about a detailed feedback? Been looking at one for the ps3
Old 13th August 2014, 23:22   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Wow that's a brilliant price. How about a detailed feedback? Been looking at one for the ps3
Thanks.
First feels are way too impressive - this thing has super realistic force feedback!
For the moment I have it packed up coz the temporary setup is uncomfortable - shall use the long weekend to start building the rig.
After the rig is complete and the accessories are mounted, a detailed review shall follow.
Old 18th August 2014, 09:26   #1378
Senior - BHPian

Planned on 15-aug that I am gonna go ahead and build a simul8r inspired PVC rig, and went out to do a parts feasibility in my hometown.

Options are VERY limited in my hometown when it comes to DIY & parts/equipment.

Hit a couple of speedbumps during the analysis -

1. No pvc fixtures are present in the market for 2" sch 80 pvc pipes - apparently all 2" fixtures used here are GI (Galvanized Iron).

2. PVC fixtures do exist for 1.5" sch 40 pvc pipes, but no one uses a 45 degree elbow here. The store says as there is no demand, they do not stock it - only tees, 90 degree elbows, unions and end stops are there.

Picked up 30' of 1.5" sch 40 pvc pipe, and a few tees/90 deg elbows.

Studied simul8r's plan / other variants, and chalked up a version sans 45 degree elbows in my mind, and got to cutting the pipes with my mini hacksaw.

The end result after 5-6 hours of work

XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles-img_20140817_224051.jpg

XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles-img_20140817_224105.jpg

This is till now dry fit only.

I plan to put ply boards on the top (for the wheel), at the bottom front (for the pedals), at the bottom rear (for the seat base) and wooden blocks at the left for the shifter.

Still in the process of hunting down a seat from a total loss car.

Also - I was having difficulties in pushing the pipes all the way to the notch of the fittings , and checked out a few plumbing forums. Found out that it is supposed to be that way, and PVC glue ain't glue at all! It's a solvent to melt PVC, and you apply and quickly slip in the pipe till the notch to get a cement hard lock in minutes!

Comments and critique welcome.
Old 19th August 2014, 11:20   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planned on 15-aug that I am gonna go ahead and build a simul8r inspired PVC rig, and went out to do a parts feasibility in my hometown.

till the notch to get a cement hard lock in minutes!

Looks neat. When I read online about building the rig, I thought that it was a easy job, but when it came to cutting & fitting the PVC pipes tightly and correctly it took a hell lot of time and energy. Your rig looks good, I have not pasted the PVC pipes, just hammered them tightely and fixed screws to some places which often come loose. I noticed that your rig id too tall, you will have to make height adjustments for the seat. Some pictures of my rig:

P.S.: Why did you alter the design of Simul8r? Any specific reason?

Last edited by mercedised : 19th August 2014 at 11:22.
Old 19th August 2014, 13:41   #1380
BHPian

Quote:

1. No pvc fixtures are present in the market for 2" sch 80 pvc pipes - apparently all 2" fixtures used here are GI (Galvanized Iron).

2. PVC fixtures do exist for 1.5" sch 40 pvc pipes, but no one uses a 45 degree elbow here. The store says as there is no demand, they do not stock it - only tees, 90 degree elbows, unions and end stops are there.

Picked up 30' of 1.5" sch 40 pvc pipe, and a few tees/90 deg elbows.

Studied simul8r's plan / other variants, and chalked up a version sans 45 degree elbows in my mind, and got to cutting the pipes with my mini hacksaw.

The end result after 5-6 hours of work

Attachment 1275573

Attachment 1275574

This is till now dry fit only.

I plan to put ply boards on the top (for the wheel), at the bottom front (for the pedals), at the bottom rear (for the seat base) and wooden blocks at the left for the shifter.

Still in the process of hunting down a seat from a total loss car.

Also - I was having difficulties in pushing the pipes all the way to the notch of the fittings , and checked out a few plumbing forums. Found out that it is supposed to be that way, and PVC glue ain't glue at all! It's a solvent to melt PVC, and you apply and quickly slip in the pipe till the notch to get a cement hard lock in minutes!

Great job right there. I will build something like this soon.

Now get some Carbon fiber wrap and wrap it all up so it looks nice and sober

What sim softwares are you using?

LFS, Assetto Corsa?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks