Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2013, 21:37   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
I need to buy a PS3 to keep up with an earlier promise I had given my son. I am new to console gaming. Which model should i be looking ? Where should I pick it up ? I am based in Chennai.

Thanks for the help guys.
My Ps3 had a problem in feb and as it was in warranty till march Sony replaced it with the latest Ps3 500gb slim one. Its really good and i would highly recommend it.
Old 27th March 2013, 00:42   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
I need to buy a PS3 to keep up with an earlier promise I had given my son. I am new to console gaming. Which model should i be looking ? Where should I pick it up ? I am based in Chennai.

Thanks for the help guys.
Only the 500gb one is available as of now, na? Dont buy the 12gb, move bundle one. You simply cant manage with the 12gb harddisk.

How old is your sonny anyways ? If he is too young, buying an additional move bundle for 3.5K and some move games will be even better. You can buy the entire console off online shops or from a direct retail, depending upon the discount n stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, since we all know that PS4 is coming out soon, is it wise to buy the PS3 now? I needed something cheaper and I feel PS4 would be priced horrendously when its launched. Moreover, prices of PS3 is dropping and this is a good time to buy it. The only thing I am worried about is - will games for PS3 still be available after PS4 is launched? I dont wanna end up with a gaming console which becomes a paper weight in a few months. Also, is there anything so good in PS4 that it is wise spending that extra money on it, when compared to PS3?
There is nothing like that. Waiting for PS4 is good, but, think it like this. You wont be able to play the current gen games on PS4 na? Ps4 will be priced >25K IMO. Regarding the game availability, i think you can get all the current gen games from online stores and get used copies as well. Further, heard rumors that PS4 games are gonna costs around 60$ range. There are lots of damn good games to be played on Ps3. So, I'm sure buying one will be worth, provided you dont have any other console/PC. If you're so concerned about the current price, buy a used one for 10-12K and it will get the job done for you, until PS4 comes out.
Old 27th March 2013, 15:55   #1278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Raj,

In my opinion ................

It all depends what kind of a gamer are you. If you want to have the latest console/games then obviously you should wait for PS4 (rather a long wait) but I would not be completely against buying PS3 now if you are a casual gamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
There is nothing like that. Waiting for PS4 is good, but, think it like this. ......
If you're so concerned about the current price, buy a used one for 10-12K and it will get the job done for you, until PS4 comes out.
Thank you friends. I am a gaming freak and till now I have been playing games only on my PC. But suddenly Xbox and PS has caught my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Price drop? Where?
Sorry to not have mentioned that. The prices are lesser here in the UK. I can get a used one for as low as 8-9k.
Old 27th March 2013, 16:06   #1279
Distinguished - BHPian

Question to XBOX users: My brother in law just got the XBOX-360 from the US. For the power supply, is the normal 220-110V converter enough or is there anything else specific to keep in mind?

Also, in Bangalore is there any place to get games 2nd hand/cheaper rates?
Old 27th March 2013, 16:14   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Question to XBOX users: My brother in law just got the XBOX-360 from the US. For the power supply, is the normal 220-110V converter enough or is there anything else specific to keep in mind?

Also, in Bangalore is there any place to get games 2nd hand/cheaper rates?
You would need the 15A supply unit.

Phoenix Mall, Whitefield Road, has an outlet selling used/ 2nd hand games.

I have not tried, so check quality before you buy :-)
Old 27th March 2013, 16:15   #1281
Senior - BHPian

^Indian spec power supply is available from Microsoft/ Redington for around Rs. 3500. Ask them if they can give it free first.

Cheaper options are available on ebay.in (around Rs. 2000).

Games: Landmark deals with second hand games in Pune. Visit some malls and check out what options you have in your city.
Old 27th March 2013, 17:38   #1282
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My son is 8 years old. Had a wrist fracture last month, hence wondering if the move bundle would be worth ?
Old 14th April 2013, 16:38   #1283
Distinguished - BHPian

For a 720p Plasma, which one would be more enjoyable, Xbox360 or PS3? The move/kinect versions seem pretty similarly priced, ~26-27k.

Also, with the news of new gen arriving for both later this year, is it better to wait and watch than to go for either right now?
Old 15th April 2013, 11:48   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
For a 720p Plasma, which one would be more enjoyable, Xbox360 or PS3? The move/kinect versions seem pretty similarly priced, ~26-27k.

Also, with the news of new gen arriving for both later this year, is it better to wait and watch than to go for either right now?
Move bundle is around 3.5K for Sony. PS3 is around 22K with 500 GB HDD included.

XBOX is much more expensive (with Kinect and 250 GB bundle) at 32-33K.

XBOX has no BD player, but PS3 has. So, in a way, PS3 is more value for money.
Old 15th April 2013, 12:19   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I own both the consoles and haven't seen any major differences between them. PS3 has a Blueray player bundled along with it. It also depends on your preferences. If you are interested in racing titles, then I recommend Xbox since Forza 4 and Horizon are better than GT5. Even Halo series is good. Other than these two major titles, most of the games are released on both the platforms. If you are not worried about these titles, I recommend PS3.

Its always better to wait for an year or two once a new console is launched. They will be horrendously priced during the launch and there may be some problems in the initial set which will be rectified in the future releases. An example for this is the yellow light of death which plagued the initial set of PS3s which was rectified later.

Meanwhile I just completed Bioshock Infinite on PS3. Its one of the best game I have ever played. Good to see a game with a solid storyline and concept after a long time.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 15th April 2013 at 12:21.
Old 15th April 2013, 17:46   #1286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Move bundle is around 3.5K for Sony...
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I own both the consoles...
Thanks guys for your inputs. I was watching the reviews of the games available for the move/kinect platforms and seems kinect has more variety. Either ways, I don't see myself spending too much time on such games.

As for game preferences, I am a huge fan of the Hitman series and have played the titles(till Blood Money) more than just once. So Hitman Absolution will be the first one am gonna buy with any of them.

I also want to get a good racing game - heard good things about GT5, so that is on my radar. Since it looks like a true blue racing simulation, I also want a arcade style race for once in a while quick dashes.

Having a Blueray is surely an advantage for the PS3 and I thought that would also translate to better graphics (??). Apart from games, for movies, I don't think I will be using the blueray drive much.

Will have to check out both of these in person too, to take a final call.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 15th April 2013 at 17:47.
Old 30th April 2013, 11:28   #1287
BHPian

Buying XBox 360 Games new or used from India or abroad

Firstly, I can't believe that this thread does not exist already on Team-BHP.

Here's my story. I got an XBox 360 with Kinect for my son and that cost a pretty penny. I then started buying the games and most of the newer ones cost in excess of Rs. 2,000. At first the price seemed OK, but now it has begun to add up to a fortune. Compounding this is the fact that my son plays a few levels of a game and then gets bored. After my recent purchase (Tomb Raider for Rs. 2,499 from Flipkart), I am beginning to wonder what others are doing.

In the case of Tomb Raider, I checked the reviews on IGN before zeroing in on it. I then tried to buy from popular Indian eCommerce sites (Flipkart, Infibeam, Rediff) and found the product only on FlipKart. I have noticed before too that most Indian sites have popular games "out of stock".

I also see that Google directs one to Amazon.com for most XBox games. Does anyone have any experience with this? How much does the customs duty work out to?

I have already made the rounds of SP Road and National Market but gave it up as it requires the XBox to be modded. Plus I wasn't really comfortable with the whole process and the games were quoted at Rs. 200 to Rs. 300 for each DVD.

I have been also looking at used XBox 360 games and I notice one occasionally comes up on OLX.in. However the prices seen to be at most Rs. 500 less than buying one new. It does not seem to be incentive enough to go through the driving and haggling and risk of whether the DVD would work and coupons would be unused.

Does anyone also know where one can buy used games for a reasonable price abroad for shipment to India?

Looking forward to your comments. Thanks!
Old 30th April 2013, 11:37   #1288
mxx
BHPian

Re: Buying XBox 360 Games new or used from India or abroad

I guess you are in Bangalore. So, did you try CEX in Phoenix market city(whitefield)? They sell used games/movies. You can buy with cash or trade in your old game. I dont know how good their games collection is, but its worth a try.
Old 30th April 2013, 11:40   #1289
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buying XBox 360 Games new or used from India or abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Firstly, I can't believe that this thread does not exist already on Team-BHP..
There is one actually - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ame-trade.html

Plus this thread also has some info about games - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...on-3-a-86.html

Lastly, other than olx, you can look into the buy,sell,trade section of IVG - http://www.indianvideogamer.com/
Old 30th April 2013, 13:56   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I guess you are in Bangalore. So, did you try CEX in Phoenix market city(whitefield)? They sell used games/movies. You can buy with cash or trade in your old game. I dont know how good their games collection is, but its worth a try.
Thanks for the info, mxx! Was planning to go to Phoenix Market City in Whitefield tomorrow or over the weekend. Will definitely check it out.

Quote:
That thread has 5 posts and is 6 years old.

Quote:
Plus this thread also has some info about games - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...on-3-a-86.html
Yes, I saw this thread and the title seemed to suggest something else. Coming back to Team-BHP after a long time, I had forgotten about the moderators penchant here to merge seemingly unrelated threads like the one I started. As usual, I guess my thread and my query will have an untimely demise.

Quote:
Lastly, other than olx, you can look into the buy,sell,trade section of IVG - http://www.indianvideogamer.com/
Thanks a lot for the link! I am looking into it right now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks