Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 16:43   #826
Senior - BHPian

From someone whose PS3 (40GB fat) was bricked by a wireless update, I can tell you that downloading the update and then installing it via a flash or other drive is a much better and safer option.
According to Sony, the wireless update is a risky proposition because you don't know which server the update is coming from. Also wireless carries the risk of corrupted data with it because of interference from other household gadgets.
Sony India replaced my old PS3 with a new 120GB slim and I have made sure that I download and update via a flash drive and that too from the UK site only (as recommended by Sony India).
One thing I discovered in this whole episode was that you can recover some of your game data if: a) you have a backup and b) create the same PSN accounts (same user name and password) as your previous machine.
Old 9th August 2010, 18:53   #827
BHPian

^Just curious. Which was the update that bricked your 40GB phat? ( I presume that should be 3.21.) What was the version in the replaced 120GB Slim when you got it? Have you updated to the recent 3.41?
Old 9th August 2010, 21:17   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
^Just curious. Which was the update that bricked your 40GB phat? ( I presume that should be 3.21.) What was the version in the replaced 120GB Slim when you got it? Have you updated to the recent 3.41?
it was 3.xx - I don't remember exactly what. It happened late last year - November or so. I don't remember what the slim came with but I've done two firmware updates since Feb. using the download and update method. It has the latest update now - no issues.
Old 10th August 2010, 10:23   #829
Team-BHP Support

Q: I hear that the PS4 will be out this year. Anyone know if this is true?
Old 10th August 2010, 13:17   #830
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Q: I hear that the PS4 will be out this year. Anyone know if this is true?
No Navin, I highly doubt it. Sony says the game developers have not yet reached the full potential of the PS3 console yet, and so a 2010 launch is unlikely, not even 2011. Fact is that 50% of PS3 users use old style (CRT) TVs and the next gen PS4 will be HD only. Sony cannot ignore its huge gamer base. There is no sense in launching a new console just yet. My 2 paisa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Sony India replaced my old PS3 with a new 120GB slim and I have made sure that I download and update via a flash drive and that too from the UK site only (as recommended by Sony India).
StarScream, why was you console replaced? How is the support here in India? I bought my PS3 with b&w in bangy as well, but just curious as to how good the support is. I've heard scary stories of 'no support' here !?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th August 2010 at 20:44. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 10th August 2010, 15:43   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
StarScream, why was you console replaced? How is the support here in India? I bought my PS3 with b&w in bangy as well, but just curious as to how good the support is. I've heard scary stories of 'no support' here !?
NIP, it was replaced because it was bought in India and Sony offered no repair options to fix it. here is more of what happened from this same thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1596386

the advantage of buying in India is one-year replacement warranty. that's it. My 40GB packed up one month after expiry of warranty. I gave Sony hell, so they replaced it for free.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:07   #832
Senior - BHPian

Sony is laying the foundation for PS4 as they have invented another new laser called the Blue Violet laser. Going by their past trend of PS - CD, PS2 - DVD and PS3 - BD, I suppose we can assume what the medium will be for PS4 I guess we can look for an announcement by 2012 - 13.

Source for the Blue-Violet laser:

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/news/la...on-single-disc

Last edited by _raVan_ : 11th August 2010 at 13:10.
Old 11th August 2010, 14:51   #833
BHPian

I shudder to think what PS4 will be like. Pure condensed awesomeness or what ? Anyway, 2013 seems to be the ideal time, gives them time to sell Move. That could be the time when its awesome processing power will become not so awesome.
Old 20th August 2010, 08:17   #834
BHPian

does the XBOX 360 have a universal AC/DC adapter? im thinking of possibly buying one in the US and bringing it back with me to have in India for a year. I have $400 at Costco to spend, lol. the Console is $300...
Old 20th August 2010, 20:42   #835
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to bump up to share this piece of awesomeness
http://psjailbreak.com
Google it.

@CaliAtenza: Not universal, you will need a stepdown converter. Or just buy the adapter from here since it's external.
Old 21st August 2010, 08:29   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
http://psjailbreak.com
Google it.

@CaliAtenza: Not universal, you will need a stepdown converter. Or just buy the adapter from here since it's external.
oh ok...yeah i havent decided whether or not to get an XBOX 360 yet. I just wanted to find out if i had to get anything extra. I thought all the consoles these days would have the universal adapters.
Old 21st August 2010, 10:58   #837
Senior - BHPian

The PS3 has a universal adapter built in. Don't know why MS went with this.
Old 22nd August 2010, 02:10   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
PS JAILBREAK - WORLDS 1ST USB CHIPSET
Google it.
Dude..the jail break looks very promising...how are the reviews coming?
Old 22nd August 2010, 04:00   #839
Senior - BHPian

It works, what else matters

It turns your PS3 into a debug unit which has the ability to do the things. The PIC used in the dongle has been identified and probably dumped by now. Cheaper clones should start coming in by the date of this thing's release.
Old 6th September 2010, 14:37   #840
BHPian

I am contemplating on getting a PS3 slim 250GB. I have a question, as I am completely new to consoles (This will be my first console). Do the PS3 slim consoles come bundled with games? Or do we have to buy them separately?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks