Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2015, 09:19   #46
BHPian

Re: Google Maps Offline - Now improved!

When I click "read more" about the new feature, it said Google constantly updates maps and hence the 30-day expiry period.
However, if no changes happen to the selected area of offline maps over that period, update will also not happen.
Not sure how far this is going to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Slightly off topic ....near to the destination, the maps take me inside the city and roads full of traffic, while there are good highways available.....
.....it took me 30 minutes to cover 8 km. while I would have reached the hotel simply by continuing on the highway for another 10 km....
I have had similar experience with Google Maps on 3 occassions. Its highly illogical and irritating to take broken rough roads, when you just have to cruise down the highway and reach the destination.

Mods: Sorry for
Not sure if there is a separate thread for this discussion.
Please suggest if this must be discussed somewhere else.

Last edited by karpusv : 23rd November 2015 at 09:21.
Old 23rd November 2015, 11:07   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
..it took me 30 minutes to cover 8 km. while I would have reached the hotel simply by continuing on the highway for another 10 km.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
...Its highly illogical and irritating to take broken rough roads, when you just have to cruise down the highway and reach the destination.
Have you guys been using GM with data connection on (i.e. in online mode)?
This is where being online should help as GM is supposed to get traffic update then and should factor in that information in suggesting the route.
Not sure though whether this traffic update feature works everywhere maps are available.
Old 25th November 2015, 09:46   #48
BHPian

I wonder if anyone has heard about Waze: https://www.waze.com/about . These are community-edited maps giving real-time info via drivers on the road.

Inter-city driving in India would definitely benefit if something like this came here.

Just my two cents!
Old 26th November 2015, 13:30   #49
BHPian

I used waze while in Malaysia. It is quite popular over there. Taxi drivers preferred this app
Old 8th January 2016, 15:59   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshivabull View Post
I wonder if anyone has heard about Waze: https://www.waze.com/about . These are community-edited maps giving real-time info via drivers on the road.

Inter-city driving in India would definitely benefit if something like this came here.

Just my two cents!
Yup, Waze is very good, I somehow liked it more than Navi maps and google, it gives you the exact location of speed cameras as well, which is a boon in Kerala during night time

Regards
Shailesh
Old 8th January 2016, 16:18   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshivabull View Post

Just my two cents!
I have been using waze on my blackberry 10 ( as GMaps dont work on my BB) for last 2 years. Works pretty reliably.

We did use Google offline maps in my wife's phone in Gujrat and Rajasthan. Works very well without any data connection.
Old 18th March 2016, 18:28   #52
BHPian

GM sometimes is a pain, it tries to take you through the shortest route possible and in remote areas its quite risky, earlier version of GM had options to add routes between originating place and destination i.e. say you are travelling from Bangalore to Udupi, you can mention via shiradi ghat etc.

Any idea, if this is possible in latest version or any app which might do this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks