Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2006, 03:34   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

iPod Repair?

My iPod hardisk just died on me today after two years of CAREFUL usage.
I took it to the Apple store in Boston and they said the hardisk is making clicking sounds and thanks to apple "NO REPAIRING" policy i will just have to buy a new one!
I am not sure how reliable apple products r now,since my ipod was always used in the hard clearcase cover and never been dropped.
Does anyone know of a place where I can get my iPod repaired in bombay?

Last edited by Sahil : 27th September 2006 at 03:36.
Old 27th September 2006, 09:48   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Are you sure about the no-repair policy? Sounds pretty stupid to me.
Old 27th September 2006, 10:03   #3
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
My iPod hardisk just died on me today after two years of CAREFUL usage.
I took it to the Apple store in Boston and they said the hardisk is making clicking sounds and thanks to apple "NO REPAIRING" policy i will just have to buy a new one!
I am not sure how reliable apple products r now,since my ipod was always used in the hard clearcase cover and never been dropped.
Does anyone know of a place where I can get my iPod repaired in bombay?
Bombay there are many places, in Mahim, 2 of them in Andheri etc etc. Just go to Apple India and search there for service centers.
For iPod, Apple had come up with Protection Plan for iPod for $59 and coverage is for 2 yrs. So that 1yr(std) + 2 yrs = 3yrs
I dont know whether this Plan can be purchased in India by paying to one of these outlets. But seems pretty good.
What's this No Repairing thing?
Old 27th September 2006, 10:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

They do have the iPod warranty extension thing in India. They offered it to me 2 years back when I bought my iPod. DOn't remember how much it was though.
Old 27th September 2006, 11:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Are you sure about the no-repair policy? Sounds pretty stupid to me.
Well basically what the nerd at the desk told me is that apple does not repair any ipods,they simply exchange it for a new or refurbished one depending on the nature of the damage.
In my case it was out of warranty so the best he could do for me was to get a 10% discount on my next ipod if i gave this non working one up
Old 27th September 2006, 11:17   #6
Team-BHP Support

Ahem, I half seen a teardown analysis of the ipod nano, basic cost is $64 on what retails for $149 hence the incentive to repair is low
Old 27th September 2006, 18:13   #7
BHPian

Google is your friend: http://www.ipodresq.com/

ajmat: That doesn't figure in the various costs of logistics, advertising, service reps etc. And then theres the profit. I'm very sure Apple must be making a huge chunk of profit off each iPod sold, but isn't that what companies are all about?

Regarding the hard-drive issue- It isn't exactly Apples fault since they use industry standard Toshiba/Hitachi HDD's and with any harddrives used in motion there will always be a greater risk of failure compared to flsh memory in which it should be virtually nonexistant.

Last edited by Guess? : 27th September 2006 at 18:17.
Old 27th September 2006, 18:20   #8
Team-BHP Support

[quote=Guess?]
ajmat: That doesn't figure in the various costs of logistics, advertising, service reps etc. And then theres the profit. I'm very sure Apple must be making a huge chunk of profit off each iPod sold, but isn't that what companies are all about?
QUOTE]

I don't dispute that but is gives an idea about the expense of repair via a vis replacement
Old 27th September 2006, 18:38   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the Apple helpline all India: 1800-4250744

I have had very good experiences with the apple service station in bandra west, Mumbai: (022) 66780661/2/3

I am sure they will be able to answer all your questions, including repair charges etc.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 27th September 2006 at 18:40.
Old 28th September 2006, 10:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the info guys.
Does anyone know other place where i can get it repaired,besides the offical apple center?Coz they probably follow the same "No Repair" policy worldwide.
Old 28th September 2006, 10:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

dude try prerna enterprises in town. its the authorised nikon service centre. im not too sure but i tihnk they do ipods too. its just before fountain on the road from cst.
Old 28th September 2006, 11:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know other place where i can get it repaired,besides the offical apple center?Coz they probably follow the same "No Repair" policy worldwide.
very surprising..never heard of this "no repair policy for out of warranty ipod products "..
will haveto check on this !
-sr
Old 2nd November 2006, 03:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Dunno if you still need it

There seems to be a guy in Mumbai who does repair IPods! Harjeet Arora, owner of "Gadget Boy", a store at the Inorbit Mall.

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/W...76866-615.html
Old 28th August 2007, 00:51   #14
BHPian

Hi,

Need some advice guys. After 3 years of use, my 4th Gen ipod's slowly but surely getting fossilized with each passing day. The HD started making the dreaded 'clicking' noises 4-5 months ago, but some well directed slaps and measured drops from a height of 1 1/2 feet onto the bed (yups, that works!!) kept it working somehow.

Then I got a Pio6950 with the ipod cable and got a taste of carrying my entire music collection in my car. Love the fact that I can listen to just the song I want, all the time, every single time. But unfortunately, with the slow disintegration of the ipod, that joy is no more... the HD has got quite corrupted by now and is unable to play many of my fav songs.

Wanted to know:-

1. Have any of u got your ipods repaired or know somebody who has? How much does it take to get the HD replaced?

2. I live in an ancient city which used to think of things one day before the rest of India many years ago, but does that a decade later now. I'm sure there aren't any ipod service centres here, but will be extremely glad (and offer a drink ) if somebody can prove me wrong.

3. The 30GB video version is now available for approx 11K on ebay, rediff etc. Is it any cheaper in the mumbai grey market? Is it better to go for it rather than spend on repairs?

Plz. help, people!!

Cheers,
Wim
Old 28th August 2007, 11:24   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1. Have any of u got your ipods repaired or know somebody who has? How much does it take to get the HD replaced?

2. I live in an ancient city which used to think of things one day before the rest of India many years ago, but does that a decade later now. I'm sure there aren't any ipod service centres here, but will be extremely glad (and offer a drink ) if somebody can prove me wrong.

3. The 30GB video version is now available for approx 11K on ebay, rediff etc. Is it any cheaper in the mumbai grey market? Is it better to go for it rather than spend on repairs?
If its possible to repair, I am pretty sure a competent grey-market chap in calcutta could help you out.

But hearing on the slaps and drops, I think its best for you to replace. The 30 GB was about 10.5 K in Bombay last I checked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks