Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2008, 18:01   #76
Team-BHP Support

Your SnR is falling. In the first screenshot it went to 19.5dB. If you monitor some more I am sure you will see it going down to 10dB before disconnecting.
Can you try removing the splitter and connecting phone line directly to modem? If disconnections stop happening then it was a splitter problem
Old 28th April 2008, 18:19   #77
Senior - BHPian

Ok will try all this & get back to you.
Old 28th April 2008, 19:08   #78
Senior - BHPian

irag & tsk, sometime back even i had same issues. When i consulted the bsnl, athey asked me to change the value of the alternate dns server... if i remember from 240 to 255. from their on it has improved quiet a bit.

Last edited by lohithrao : 28th April 2008 at 19:10.
Old 28th April 2008, 20:11   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
B&T, you mentioned no dialer now. Have you got a non-dialing connection from your provider, which is always through and need not be dialed? Or you guys have done something your own to overcome this? Please specify in detail which may help to dig more into this issue.
No, it still needs to be dialled. Only, the process is not a manual one now and none of the comps display the status i.e. dialling/ verifying username password/ registering on the network/ connected/ disconnected etc. There is no way to tell whether the internet is connected or not until pages stop loading during browsing etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
There can be a option configured in the router for automatic login when connection is lost or time out expired.
And where may I be able to find these router configuration settings? I cant find any router software on my PC atleast.

And the funny thing is, although the guy said its "wireless/ wireless modem" whatever, I still have a lan cable plugged to the back of my machine!
Old 28th April 2008, 20:11   #80
Team-BHP Support

I too have the same problem am fed up of explaining to BSNL and sadly whenever they come am not at home. My problem is wiring inside the house is really messy, i have asked them to make a connection straight from Jn box through splitter and give to my room, which those numbskulls havent done. So SNR drops and disconnections :(

Anyways will try check the splitter and see if that helps, if not this time ill take leave and wait at home for those jerks!!

lol just tried direct connection and SNR improved by couple of points already, but unfortunately today it was already showing in 30 range.

And i was right its not the splitter :( i think i need to fix that direct line.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th April 2008 at 20:22.
Old 28th April 2008, 20:38   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I too have the same problem am fed up of explaining to BSNL and sadly whenever they come am not at home. My problem is wiring inside the house is really messy, i have asked them to make a connection straight from Jn box through splitter and give to my room, which those numbskulls havent done. So SNR drops and disconnections :
And i was right its not the splitter :( i think i need to fix that direct line.
Same issue with me, Jaggu. My home has internal wiring for all bedrooms and hall, and the bsnl line passes all over the house internally, apart from Hathway line.
I've taken permission to work from home this whole week as wifey is out of station, but damn bsnl conked off on Sat eveninng--both phone and broadband. Even my 'friendly' neighbourhood unsecured connections did not work today. After repeated calls to bsnl, I lost faith and drove down to office at noon.
Luckily, those blokes have rectified the issue now. God knows how long it will last.
I am seriously thinking of shifting to Airtel, if bsnl continues to trouble me--it has ditched me several times in the past, esp on critical moments.
Old 28th April 2008, 21:41   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

After being in a continuous state of failure(27 days and counting) inspite of repeated followups during this - the 2nd month of my BSNL broadband usage, I've had the cancellation letter submitted today. I switched to Airtel BB, which seems like a color photograph compared to BSNL's black & white
Old 28th April 2008, 23:46   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
No, it still needs to be dialled. Only, the process is not a manual one now and none of the comps display the status i.e. dialling/ verifying username password/ registering on the network/ connected/ disconnected etc.
That means the dialer (PPPoE) is configured in your router. I assume that your cable modem is not changed and you have only introduced a new router. I have attached an image below which shows the PPPoE configuration in a Linksys WRT54G.

Quote:
There is no way to tell whether the internet is connected or not until pages stop loading during browsing etc.
Hehe, infact thats the best way

Quote:
And where may I be able to find these router configuration settings? I cant find any router software on my PC atleast.
Try http://192.168.1.1 (try https if http is not working - https://192.168.1.1). Give the username and password when prompted. the default values are both admin. If you are not sure of the router IP, open a command prompt and type ipconfig. Find the IP address against the term default gateway. Most probably that will be your router IP.

Quote:
And the funny thing is, although the guy said its "wireless/ wireless modem" whatever, I still have a lan cable plugged to the back of my machine!
Are all your computers laptops or PCs with wireless LAN? If yes you don't need a cable. But for normal PCs with normal network card, you need patch cables.

OK, now logon to your router, and on the first page, where you see, setup and basic setup, see what is on the first drop down box. Is it PPPoE? Then there will be a username and pwd configured which is used to dial your ISP. What are the settings just below that? (Connect on demand idle time / keep alive redial period?)

Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time You can configure the Router to cut the Internet connection after it has been inactive for a specified period of time (Max Idle Time). If your Internet connection has been terminated due to inactivity, Connect on Demand enables the Router to automatically re-establish your connection as soon as you attempt to access the Internet again. To use this option, select Connect on Demand. In the Max Idle Time field, enter the number of minutes you want to have elapsed before your Internet connection terminates. The default Max Idle Time is 5 minutes. Increase the value to higher numbers and see the result

Keep Alive: Redial Period If you select this option, the Router will periodically check your Internet connection. If you are disconnected, then the Router will automatically re-establish your connection. To use this option, select Keep Alive. In the Redial Period field, you specify how often you want the Router to check the Internet connection. The default Redial Period is 30 seconds. Reduce this value and see the result
Attached Thumbnails
BSNL BroadBand Issues-linksys.jpg  

Old 29th April 2008, 11:31   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire
Try http://192.168.1.1 (try https if http is not working - https://192.168.1.1). Give the username and password when prompted. the default values are both admin. If you are not sure of the router IP, open a command prompt and type ipconfig. Find the IP address against the term default gateway. Most probably that will be your router IP.
Its 192.168.0.1. admin - admin doesn't work. :( Someone must have changed the password. But I think I figured out the steps post login based on the information you have posted. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire
Are all your computers laptops or PCs with wireless LAN? If yes you don't need a cable. But for normal PCs with normal network card, you need patch cables.
Some laptops, some PCs.
Old 29th April 2008, 11:38   #85
BHPian

Well i have BSNL 900 ul plan and i did not get any disconnection from an year, depends on the distance of ur place and bsnl office that connects you to internet. secondly the noise in line. If u have a noisy line then remove all cables of telephone line and get new ones with good quality without any tape joints.
Old 29th April 2008, 12:11   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Its 192.168.0.1. admin - admin doesn't work. :( Someone must have changed the password. But I think I figured out the steps post login based on the information you have posted. Thanks for that.
You can reset the router, but it will erase all the configurations done. There's a reset button at the back of the router. Press and hold it for couple of seconds and the router will be back to it's factory settings and password will also be reset. But unless you are sure of the configurations to be done, I will not recommend it. Better to ask the person who configured it.

Quote:
Some laptops, some PCs.
If the wireless is enabled in the wireless router, all the laptops can be connected wireless. Please check with your tech team. At some places, due to security reasons, wireless might be turned off. Until properly encrypted and sufficient security measures are configured, anybody with a laptop/wifi mobile can access the your wireless connection just outside your office. If the wireless is disabled, that may be a reason.
Old 29th April 2008, 12:19   #87
BHPian

I am facing very strange problem...

Many times I am not able to open Indian sites ( .in domain ) but at the same time I was able to open us domain sites ( .com)

i.e.

If i open yahoo India map site , Google India map site it will not work. But if I try to open yahoo maps , Google maps default site it will work.

Anybody facing such problem?
Old 29th April 2008, 20:49   #88
Senior - BHPian

hrish, i think it should be because of "MTU" settings. if its above 1700 some sites dont work. just check the modem confi and reduce it to 1500 or little below.

Btw i have noticed that whenever it rains(BSNL) the net goes down just like power in my area....hehe
Old 30th April 2008, 15:49   #89
Senior - BHPian

BSNL is bad.

I had BSNL home500 plan. It had similar problem of getting disconnected.
Now in that plan we will not be charged in 2am to 8 am time period.

It worked only 25days in a month. We got high speed only 5 days in one month. My friend who had connection in the same exchange i..e Alkapuri Exchange would work fine even when I had no connectivity.
In my society just 4 blocks away, the internet would work fine, but not with me. So after an agonizing 6 months that connection is in the process of given rest and now I am using Reliace wireless 150kbps internet that works slowly, but CONSISTENTLY.

And that is what we want, consistency.
Old 1st May 2008, 10:30   #90
stunnerzinc

Bsnl!

Do they have the worst customer service or what?

Ok, here's the story. I'm with my grandparents as my folks are in the U.S. My grandfathers PA subscribed to the limited 2 G.B plan in Jan. Since he (the PA) wasn't in town a couple of days ago, I called up BSNL and asked them to change my plan to the unlimited one. All went well, they said that it would be changed from the first of may. Today, I called up BSNL to ask them whether they changed my plan or not. I waited for ~25 minutes while the annoying message kept saying "please stay on the link, you're a valuable BSNL customer". Yes, I was on the phone for 25 minutes, waiting for someone to take my call. Finally some guy took my call and told me that they didn't change the plan. I was pretty pissed at this point. I told him the last time I called. Some guy told me that my plan would change on the 1st of May. It seems that they have a policy which states that new users have to stay on one connection for 3 months. Um hello! ITS BEEN ALMOST 4 MONTHS NOW! This ticked me off, but I was still polite and told him that Jan 10th to May 1st is 3 months and 21 days. He asked me to hold on started typing something. He asked my for the request number, which I told him, I had lost. He must've looked it up or something 'cause he gave me my request number (vaguely remember the number). He said that he couldn't help me and gave me another number. I thanked him and called that number and the guy who answered the call told me that they only setup new connections. At this point, I started throwing around the books and papers in my grandfathers library. I called back and had to wait ~10 minutes only to be disconnected. Called again and some lady answered the phone. She had a pleasant voice, so it calmed me down a bit. She took down all the info and guess what?!? She hung up on me! Called again and was put on hold for another 15-20 minutes. Considering how crappy my day has been, I wasn't surprised when they person on the other end put the receiver aside. They must've done that 'cause I could hear them talking, laughing, typing, coughing, etc. Right now, I'm on the phone again, waiting for them to take my call. Oh, and I have to replace a couple of new books from my grandfathers library. This wouldn't have happened if that PA dude was in town. I guess I'll blame him! lol

Sorry, long read. Felt like venting my frustration!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks