Team-BHP - The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/19585-tv-thread-lcd-led-etc-52.html)

40"?
There is only one advice I can give you
1. Demo all the Plasma/LCD TVs you can afford(if not all, atleast some).
2. Shortlist all those whose picture quality and features you think are best.
3. Buy the cheapest.

There is lot of opinion going on this thread about technology, which is best, sharpness etc., How one brand is better than other, and how one has better response time than another, but I am sure if the brand names are rubbed off, and somebody is asked, which of these is the best(Lets say Bravia) nobody will be able to tell.

If you want to do a true demo, do the following things, once in normal light and once with the showroom lights off.
1. Watch a DVD like top gear supercars or something similar. Lots of car panning shots should be there. I have seen the best of the best break under panning in the 40" space
2. Watch a HD movie ending sequence where the letters scroll horizontally. If you can't find HD, any normal broadcast will do. For example the stock price tickers at bottom of new channels
3. Watch a low grade broadcast(mostly you won't be watching HD, only normal stuff) too

Rest assured, Samsung/Sony/LG/Panasonic/Sharp(except the Aquos) are really nice brands. In case of Aquos and Hitachi higher end models(and also panasonic 100Hz models), the action scenes are actually more pleasing to watch when viewing a Blue ray disc

Also make sure you buy a component cable for your DVD player instead of standard AV cable.
The quality really rocks.
If you don't have a HD player and watch it on your computer, get a monitor cable to connect your computer to TV too. The experience is awesome 1920x1680(or similar) resolution rocks!

Wow, I'm blessed! 3 very rational and absolutely uncomplicated expressions. Thanks, guys, you rock!

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 691622)
Beyond price one has to consider A.S.S. ... we have heard horror stories about their service so got the Samsung.

Which model did you buy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST7677 (Post 691704)
Depends on your use. ... 42" HD ready Plasma would turn out cheaper than 40" HD Ready LCD. Though Plasma vs LCD is a different debate, already beaten to death earlier on this thread.

Any recommendation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 691807)
There is only one advice I can give you
1. Demo all the Plasma/LCD TVs you can afford(if not all, atleast some).
2. Shortlist all those whose picture quality and features you think are best.
3. Buy the cheapest.

... Also make sure you buy a component cable for your DVD player instead of standard AV cable.
The quality really rocks.
If you don't have a HD player and watch it on your computer, get a monitor cable to connect your computer to TV too. The experience is awesome 1920x1680(or similar) resolution rocks!

That's how I normally do things (incl. Navin's A.S.S. logic), except the choice in, like, eZone, induced senior moments in my head.

I usually watch FHD recordings (serials, recorded in US) on - OK, don't laugh - my 29" CRT TV. Obviously I am not seeing the whole thing (pun intended). I either stream it (MPG from data DVD or HDD) through my D-Link Media Lounge Player, or sometimes from laptop.

Software in FHD format is a matter or time. Let the recording industry fight out the optical disc format war, there are always other sources.

DerAlte, avoid E-zone. Do take a look at Girias/Viveks/Adishwar on the koramangala inner ring road near domlur. They have all brands side by side to audition. Another place who readily cooperate is teh reliance digital mall on cunningham road.

All these places have very competitive rates lower than e-zone.

Navin has the samsung M81, I forget the size.

Panasonic makes only plasmas above 32/37". Sony only LCD's. Samsung makes both but they are moving to LCD more.

Sony dosn't make plasma TV's it only makes LCD's, its baravia series is nice, I am having LG Time Machine Plasma TV it is HD ready 1080P & have 80GB built in Hard Disk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 692167)
DerAlte, avoid E-zone. Do take a look at Girias/Viveks/Adishwar ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nos007 (Post 692186)
Sony dosn't make plasma TV's it only makes LCD's, its baravia series is nice, I am having LG Time Machine Plasma TV it is HD ready 1080P & have 80GB built in Hard Disk.

Thanks a lot, vid, nos, for the good pointers.

One good way to watch pure HD content is to download HD files available on net and play it on a PC/laptop. Connect your LCD/Plasma through its PC in port. There are quite a lot of content available (trailers, clippings, automobile reviews, HDTV rips etc) in both 720p and 1080p. Ofcourse you will get more "full length" movies through p2p software.

If you have a decent configuration machine and a matching graphics card, the output will be brilliant, without choppiness. Ofcourse the sound will need to be routed separately through a decent speaker system. I now wish I had gone for a network AV Rx instead of my current one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte
Any recommendation?

My friend recently bought a latest top end 42" Panasonic Plasma PV70 for 66k from Grihavaibhav.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST7677 (Post 692637)
My friend recently bought a latest top end 42" Panasonic Plasma PV70 for 66k from Grihavaibhav.

Can you please expand on "latest top end" Or provide the model number?
Because I doubt a Full HD 1080p 42" Panasonic would be as cheap as 66k :Shockked:

I did mention model no PV 70. It is HD ready but not full HD!
I think the Mrp is around 90-95k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidyut
Shazikon, you have the following options in your price range:

1. Samsung Bordeaux art 32R81
2. Sony Bravia V series
3. Sony Bravia D series with motion blur removal processor
4. Hitachi 32A01
5. Sharp 32BX6M
6. Panasonic 32LX700M...

That was quite detailed,Viddy.
How is the Hitachi's service support?

I have gone through the entire thread and still dont which one to buy.I'm looking at a 40" lcd preferably a sony/samsung.Which model at this date is best.I wont be using the hd feature so it doesnt make any difference.The LCD will be connected to Dishtv.My budget is 1lac...nothing above it.GUYS please help.please:

Quote:

Can you please expand on "latest top end" Or provide the model number?
Because I doubt a Full HD 1080p 42" Panasonic would be as cheap as 66k
From what i've experienced, you really don't need full HD on a 42" LCD if your viewing distnce is more than 5 ft from the screen.

Even on our 46" full hd tv, i can't tell the diff between 1080p, 720p and 544p (which most widescreen HD torrents are ripped at) if i sit 6.5 ft away from the tv.

Full HD makes sense if you're buying a really big tv (especially digital projectors) or if your room is small, such that you need to sit close to the TV.

I've watched 720P vids on my uncles 42" HD ready LCD and it looks awesome. Infact a 720p video on a 1080p screen gets a little blurry since it has to spread 720 lines over 1080 lines.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellspawn (Post 700374)
I have gone through the entire thread and still dont which one to buy.I'm looking at a 40" lcd preferably a sony/samsung.Which model at this date is best.I wont be using the hd feature so it doesnt make any difference.The LCD will be connected to Dishtv.My budget is 1lac...nothing above it.GUYS please help.please:

I got myself a 40" Samsung LCD during diwali last year. LA40R1B for 80K, except for its sound, I am pretty much happy with its performance, i highly recommend this model. Sony V series is good but its got boring looks and better sound than samsung and is approximately 15K more expensive, which IMO is not worth it.

I do have a sony 40" lcd W series got it for pongal.first i went through all sony showroom in chennai and got information about the models and how much discount they offer me and finally got it from a dealer who seems to give me the best discount price.

model no:KLV-40W300A
showroom price:129900 -5%
dealer price:116000

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu (Post 700503)

Even on our 46" full hd tv, i can't tell the diff between 1080p, 720p and 544p (which most widescreen HD torrents are ripped at) if i sit 6.5 ft away from the tv.

What HD content are you watching? Bluray discs?