Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2019, 14:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Smartphone insurance, anyone?

After a long struggle with temptation, I finally gave in & bought an eye-wateringly expensive Samsung Note 9. l am now looking for insurance as any prudent middle aged man would. I was told by my regular insurance agent that it is difficult to insure "portable instruments".

I did a search& found this: https://www.bankbazaar.com/miscellan...insurance.html

Has any body got mobile insurance? Any recommendations? Any user experiences?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th January 2019 at 19:07. Reason: Post spacing fixed.
Old 15th January 2019, 15:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Smartphone insurance, anyone?

This is one option, but I am not sure how good or bad this is

https://www.airtel.in/airtel-secure
Old 15th January 2019, 15:38   #3
Team-BHP Support

I just checked a couple of websites listed there. Insurance charges are approximately 10% of phone price per year. Forget fine print, even the list of exclusions is quite long. All the companies listed are unknown entities - when it comes to insurance and third party warranty, trust is key.

Mobile insurance is usually taken by customers who have already experienced theft or drop damage. But such customers are likely to be extra careful when compared to an average customer. They are more likely to buy a fluffy phone cover or not keep the phone on the restaurant table while chatting/having dinner.

What about you? Have you ever lost or damaged your mobile?
Old 15th January 2019, 15:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Got a Redmi 6 Pro for better half few days back and since wife is known for dropping her devises I was also looking for a protection plan, say for repairs or screen replacement and found that if I buy the device from Mi.com, they additionally sell the MI Protection Plan for a sum of Rs. 799/-. So went ahead and took the policy, which is a one year plan from the date of purchase.

Policy is taken through OneAssist (guess MI has tie up with them) and is issued by New India Assurance. I will not write about the policy details but uploading two documents I received over mail. I have converted Policy document PDF to word and have removed all personal references.

Going through the policy document I understand there is also a 'own payment' of 10% of repair charges in case of claims, much like the insurance policies of two/four wheeler.

PS - Anyone buying any brand mobiles can independently buy the plans through OneAssist website and premium depends on mobile cost.

KK

Quoting my own post from another thread.

KK
Old 15th January 2019, 15:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Has any body got mobile insurance? Any recommendations? Any user experiences?
Unless you use the phone in extreme conditions, I would not recommend insurance.

A close friend got his phone insured through Syska gadget secure soon after purchase. He made a claim for screen replacement once and the insurance provider got the screen replaced without any drama (door-to-door service). Now a few months later when he took the phone to Samsung's service centre (after warranty period), they told him that the screen has been repaired using a third-party front glass with some LOCA glue method, which is not recommended by Samsung. There is a proper replacement part provided by Samsung which comes as a single piece (LCD + Digitizer + front glass) that should be used for replacement but it was clear that Syska had tried to save cost here.

While the phone worked fine till it was sold, I don't think we can trust the services of any third-party for such expensive items. Still you can consider insurance if it comes straight from the manufacturer or the insurance provider gives an option to pay for the bill after you yourself get the phone repaired at the service centre.

Last edited by self_driven : 15th January 2019 at 15:50.
Old 15th January 2019, 16:10   #6
BHPian

Just like Eddy suggested getting insurance through your connection provider, I'd also recommend the same. I have first hand experience using the insurance provided by Vodafone, through their insurance administrator - Shot Formats (https://vf.dsspro.in/sfdss/termscontents)

I've used their insurance to get my cracked screen repaired through Samsung Authorized Service Center and was reimbursed the entire screen replacement cost. There is minimal drama, as long as you follow their well documented step by step claim procedure.

The insurance itself does not cost any money and is extended to post paid customers, whose monthly plan falls above a predefined threshold.
Old 15th January 2019, 21:35   #7
BHPian

Well, i do not have experience with the claims and post damage service, but if you have an Airtel postpaid connection (mine is a 499 plan), mobile insurance comes free with it. I bought my Moto G6 for 16k on the launch day, and the sum insured i got was around 85%, i guess (`13.5K). I am not sure if there are any limits for the cost of the phone or if the insurance is available for all customers. All i had to do was, log into aitel.in, upload the invoice and the pictures of the front and back of the phone and it was done. Check it out if you are an existing Airtel post paid customer.

Last edited by Rohit_Quad : 15th January 2019 at 21:37.
Old 15th January 2019, 22:01   #8
BHPian

I got my Galaxy S8 with CPP FONEINDIA mobile insure. Bought it along with the phone and was a hassle free experience.
Old 16th January 2019, 05:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
What about you? Have you ever lost or damaged your mobile?
Thankfully, not in the recent past. I find the kind of money asked for a flag ship phone simply not worth the money. But I have always listed after the spen ever since my Galaxy 10.1 Tab crashed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Unless you use the phone in extreme conditions, I would not recommend insurance..
This is really a major part of my worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Just like Eddy suggested getting insurance through your connection provider,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
Well, i do not have experience with the claims and post damage service, but if you have an Airtel postpaid connection (mine is a 499 plan), mobile insurance comes free with it.
The consensus & my own research seems to point to a provider insurance. Rohit, it is certainly not free - Airtel is charging 99 per month for my phone. I feel it is still worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
I got my Galaxy S8 with CPP FONEINDIA mobile insure. Bought it along with the phone and was a hassle free experience.
How has your claim as experience been, Gaurav? I am more worried about that.

Thanks a ton folks, appreciate the help

Last edited by sridhu : 16th January 2019 at 05:12.
Old 16th January 2019, 05:39   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO The best insurance is a good cover from a reputed brand that has a extended lip (on screen side). With my current Supcase cover on my OnePlus 6, I have dropped it numerous times from different heights and on to even concrete floors; with zero damage.

Spend that extra 1-1.5k Rs, don't go for the cheaper knock-off versions that you get for 100-300Rs, and your damage worries are sorted for sure.
Old 16th January 2019, 09:26   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Smartphone insurance, anyone?

My sister has her iPhone insured through one of the PSU companies. Every year - unfailingly - her screen is shattered by my naughty niece and each time, she gets a new screen from the Apple store. Paid for by the insurance company, less some 1000 bucks or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Bought it along with the phone and was a hassle free experience.
Buying insurance is always hassle-free . What we should focus on is the claim experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
IMO The best insurance is a good cover from a reputed brand that has a extended lip (on screen side).
Have a Spigen cover for my S9. Superb protection from drops.
Old 16th January 2019, 10:06   #12
BHPian

Dear All,

When i got my OnePlus 5T, Amazon gave Servify's accidental and liquid damage protection insurance free for 1 year.

I use Ringke case for protection from drops.

Yes the phone became quite heavy with the Ringke cover but it protects the phone.

Last edited by N4Nikunj : 16th January 2019 at 10:09.
Old 16th January 2019, 10:16   #13
BHPian

I got 1 year accidental screen replacement (one time) free with my Nokia 7 plus. While it took me 6 months and numerous followups to get the protection plan enabled, the claim I made 10 days later went smooth without any hassles. The device was picked up by courier, sent to Bombay, repaired (dunno where) and couriered back to me. Every stage was traceable in the servify app. And yes, I had to pay Rs 750.

But then, there is no way I could verify whether the repair was done at an authorized center or whether the screen used was genuine. The screen looks as clear and vibrant as the original, but the doubt may never leave me.
Old 16th January 2019, 11:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

How has your claim as experience been, Gaurav? I am more worried about that.

Thanks a ton folks, appreciate the help
Claim experience was ok taking into account that the documents needs to be couriered to their Gurgaon office. You need to pay out of your pocket and then they reimburse within a month.
Old 16th January 2019, 19:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My sister has her iPhone insured through one of the PSU companies. Every year - unfailingly - her screen is shattered by my naughty niece and each time, she gets a new screen from the Apple store. Paid for by the insurance company, less some 1000 bucks or so.
Which PSU co, GTO?

I too, have a spigen tough armor case & tempered glass.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks