Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2007, 19:20   #16
BHPian

If you are really looking for a Phone that plays mp3s decently,then sony ericsson should be the one to go for...(their cameras are among the best too...)
But I would suggest that you go in for a separate flash based mp3 player which will surely produce better sound and better battery life.
There is one sony player that claims 50 hours battery life, with noise cancelling headphones, I have heard some good reviews about it.. I cant recollect the model though.

I have a sony ericsson k750i, it does everything well, but battery gets eaten up fast whenever I use any of the bells and whistles.
Old 14th February 2007, 06:18   #17
BHPian

If you are a music freak go for Ipod nano 8GB..

Buying an IPOD + cell phone

Advantages:

1) Its flash memory so it doesnt require much handling...
2) Excellent battery backup...
3) Combine it with iTrip(FM transmitter for Ipod Rs.1600 in chennai) and you can listen to your songs through any device that supports FM...very comfy to be used in car..just tune in your FM in car audio to the frequency you set on the Itrip and there you go ..your ipod is your remote..
4) You can buy a phone that has FM and tune that to Itrips frequency..again you have all the songs coming along... No need to carry two ear phones if you use your cellphone's
5) easy to navigate thru songs than your cell phone.
6) You can go for a phone that is looking good, ergonomic, has decent sound quality, light, good camera (also make sure it has FM) without caring much abt the audio performance and buying memory cards.

Disadvantages:

1) You have to carry two devices..(though the nano is very light)

Buying a Cell phone:

If you agree with me and consider the advantages of the ipod valuble then go for a sleek cellphone which looks good and has a good camera...
checkout GSMArena.com - GSM reviews, opinions, votes, manuals, ringtones and more... for all the models available and their features listed too.... Mobile-review.com for complete reviews..

Advantages:
1) It will be a combo of Mp3 player cum phone
2) You just have to sync ur phone with ur laptop and get everything done..
3) Let ur friends listen to the songs while talking (possible in Nokia phones)

Disadvantages:

1) Drains your battery fast making it impossible to use your device as a phone if you talk much..
2) memory card support is limited to 2-4 gb which is also a costly solution
3) Phone might hang up when you use mem cards with large memory..

if you have read my post completely you should be able to make a clear choice... I'll try to look for some good phone models for you...

TC..
Old 14th February 2007, 10:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
I have a sony ericsson k750i, it does everything well, but battery gets eaten up fast whenever I use any of the bells and whistles.
Did you buy it from grey market? heard that Phones from grey market have 2nd grade battery.
Old 14th February 2007, 12:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
If you are a music freak go for Ipod nano 8GB..
Ipod is more like bose...becomming a lifestyle statement, I think there are other players which offer better sound quality..... ofcourse...ease of use of an ipod is hard to beat....and hey, NO FM is a deal breaker for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
Did you buy it from grey market? heard that Phones from grey market have 2nd grade battery.
No, got it from Singapore....Battery as such lasts for 3-4 days...but if I listen to mp3's and take a few clicks...it just tanks!
Old 14th February 2007, 15:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Ipod is more like bose...becomming a lifestyle statement, I think there are other players which offer better sound quality..... ofcourse...ease of use of an ipod is hard to beat....and hey, NO FM is a deal breaker for me.

Kvish, iPod cannot be compared be with Bose, iPod is not that overpriced as Bose. Secondly, other MP3 players like Creative etc with the same memory cost almost the same as iPod. And the Sound quality of Ipod is Excellent and far better than Creative etc. Only drawback - it doesn't have FM Radio.
I am telling this coz I own a iPod Nano 4GB.
Old 14th February 2007, 16:25   #21
Team-BHP Support

I guess you can go for a creative zen nano etc., which will be cheaper and is more VFM.
N73 music edition is the most value for money option, if you are happy with 2GB of music.
Alternatively you can carry a 2GB extra SD card too, but thats a little cumbersome.

I own a nokia 6265 which has a so so music player, so while running etc., I use my creative zen nano which has FM radio, FM recorder, voice recorder etc., etc.,
You will not get all these features for this price with an ipod.

As for SQ I have listened to multiple brands and have found all top brands to be the same except for iriver which was actually better.
So if you buy an ipod an ipod will have much better SQ than creative, but if you own a creative the creative will have much better SQ. So test them before you buy them. After the bar code is scanned and your credit card swiped SQ dramatically increases, but only for you.

If you choose the music phone option, Nokia is a good bet because of the huge amount of third party applications. Quality wise there is not much to choose between SE and Nokia, it depends again on what you buy. If you buy a SE it becomes a much better phone than nokia and vice a versa.
I own a Nokia, so its a much better phone than SE, and since SE does not sell Reliance phones in India, I did not have a chance to find out wether SE is better
Old 14th February 2007, 16:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

What about the N93i... U get almost everything. But the size is a bit too big.
Old 14th February 2007, 19:33   #23
BHPian

Well, I did it - went out and got a w810i for 14200 (including the extra they tack on for cc ) and a Sony 2 GB memstick for 1300... (4 GB wasn't available here - will get it from Bangalore or back in Delhi).

I didn't want to carry around two devices and the ipod nano's are pretty expensive for the storage capacity and as for the regular ipods I do love their interface but after my 20GB died I'm not going for a HDD based player in the near future.

I also thought about a Transcend/Creative player with a V3i but realised that I was a bit bored with the Motorolas

So what we have here is a Sony product owned by someone who considers it to be an overvalued and much hyped brand (ooooh it's a sony, it's gotta be good :( )

but....The sound quality is also pretty good for someone who can't tell the difference between Cd's and MP3's ..... I can fit in a 4GB card and rumours on the net have it that SOny will be releasing a firmware update to allow it to support 8GB....

What I don't like about it is the tinny build quality - the plastic looks and feels cheap - after my previous nokias and the aluminium Razr, it's a big let down. However considering that for 2GB in a Nokia - the best I could do would be the N73 Music Edition which is priced much higher(22K) , I'm okay with it.....

I might have to get a card reader for the phone as transferring music using the Disc2Phone software is paaaaiiinfffulllyyy sllllllow - unusable almost.

SO i now say goodbye to my Razr - after getting it fixed I'll hand it over to my mother who's nokia just died after falling into a cuppa tea.....I shall miss the sleek looks and the clamshell design which i just fell in love with....

cheers...

zaphod

P.S

anyone want to pick up a sparingly used iTrip and a Sony 512MB Memory stick ?
Old 14th February 2007, 19:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Zaphod! Enjoy the music on SE!

Did you check out Nokia 6233?
Old 14th February 2007, 20:58   #25
BHPian

Congrats Zaphod, I Agree the Sound is really good, specially with mega bass setting, connect it to a Hometheatre /External Speakers and enjoy the music.

My first impression was same as your on the finishing of mobile, But Now I find it better than other mobiles with glossy surface. I am sure the scraches will be less visible on W810i. I like the Orange background which really looks good with back.

And I agree that disktoPhone is really slow, Better to go for a multiple card reader. I already have it.

Enjoy
Old 14th February 2007, 21:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

For a music phone look no further than SE phones, they are the best in terms of audio quality compared to all others. I have been using the W810i for past 3 months or so and i just love the phone.
Old 16th February 2007, 14:22   #27
BHPian

Wonder why noone suggested iPhone....
L'll costly though.... But you have both functionality of a phone and iPod. Not yet available in India. You can source it from someone from US!.
Old 16th February 2007, 15:20   #28
Team-BHP Support

go for separate player and phone, ipod or otherwise

tried most of the above said phones for music and dont know.. but somehow they dont sound right, yeah very convenient if its both in one unit
again plug n play with external equipment is difficult, yeah SE has a attachment for HU

my listing will be

1 or 2
then 3 or 4
Old 18th February 2007, 22:24   #29
BHPian

ipod + phone eh..well,then how's the iPhone if you can wait for some more months ?!..

-sr
Old 19th February 2007, 13:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

I did some research on the portable mp3 players available, and I find that the best one is from a Korean company called *Cowon/iaudio*.

The only problem is that they are not commonly available in India, one Lipap Systems in Mumbai being their only dealer for India.

Cowon/iaudio has recently released a mp3/PMP called D2 to take on the iriver PMP U10/Clix. From reviews it seems far better than the ipod nano.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks