Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2007, 19:57   #1
BHPian

iPod or Phone w/ enough mem

My ipod died a few months back and now when I go to the farm I miss having some music around.

At the same time my old Razr V3 is also on it's last legs....

I've been considering the following options :

1. iPod Nano 8GB + Razr V3i
2. el cheapo 2/4 GB MP3 player w/V3i
3. SOny Ericsson W810i
4 Nokia N73 w/2GB

all in all I need a new phone and an mp3 player - I 'm not sure wheher I want a HDD based player as that's the component which died in my ipod (20GB)
And I would also like to have 4 GB of space for music at the minimum.....

so come on guys, what would be the best solution for me ?

cheers

zaphod
Old 12th February 2007, 20:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sony Ericsson phones are head and shoulders above Nokia phones in terms of quality of sound. Lots of models to choose from now in their Walkman range. The choice mostly depends on your budget. Get one that helps you expand the memory via Mem Stick slot.
Old 12th February 2007, 22:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Go for sony phone... best for music and phone.. Nokia tends to get laggy after (1500 msgs in my inbox + norton running all the time)..

Sony sound quality is better than nokia and their pc music integration is also better than nokai..
Old 12th February 2007, 23:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

sony ericssson sound quality is great.if you will be using it for music often i think you should really consider it.

Rev
Old 12th February 2007, 23:42   #5
BHPian

well from ur options ,it has to be the sony ericsson w810i.....
have heard some friends using 2gb duo pro cards with it without any dip in performance....
i have used the w810 for around 4 months and im really satisfied with it.....very good sound quality with the headphones coming with it,good cam quality.....only trouble i had was the feeble loud speaker voice when in music mode.....also the sound in earpiece while making phone calls is a small issue.....but all in all its a real vfm package....

btw y dont you consider the k790i??buy the walkman series headphones and there u hav a good walkman phone + 3 megapixel camera.....
actually am thinkin of goin for a k790i......can any users giv a short review??
Old 13th February 2007, 00:24   #6
BANNED

If you ask me which is better; Having a phone + Mp3 player or a higher capacity phone?
I will vote for a phone + mp3 player as the best. But for pure convenience, Just go for a good phone with 2gig card. Higher is not much feasible now.

Ipod is a good option if you plan to carry all your music with you and has your own computer which you can depend for sync purposes. This device can be used as your personal music/media device. And will serve for almost all your entertainment needs (Yeah, other than the REAL thingys, you know).

I will vote against an Ipod Nano unless you are sure of that 8gb limit for your needs. I will prefer a good phone over this.

For a phone, Try yourself. Don't just go by what others say. I was always impressed with Sony Ericsson's sound quality but never could live with one. Dunno why!! I was always a Nokia fan and some used to say that I had invested in that company!!!
I am currently using a Nokia 6233. It has the Music Edition firmware which allows you to play thru Blutooth in stereo also. I have 1gig card and am pretty happy with the sound and other functions/features of the phone.

For a phone, just don't think about the sound, but also other features and practical uses.

About K790i, PM KB100 for a firsthand review. He bought one some time ago.

I would vote for a K800 above K790i if given a choice. Simply for the nostalgia and 3G capabilities. I think it lacks Edge though!!
Old 13th February 2007, 00:59   #7
aZa
Senior - BHPian

4GB of space for music at the minimum ??

hmmm N91-ME ? 8gb ?

like Zak said its better to carry one device which does it all than carry 2-3 devices
Old 13th February 2007, 02:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I would vote for a K800 above K790i if given a choice. Simply for the nostalgia and 3G capabilities. I think it lacks Edge though!!
the k800i has a vga cam on front for video conversation.....
the k800i has 3g umts as said but lacks edge....
k790i has edge n lacks the other 2 features said above.....

afaik k800i is not launched in india bcoz of no 3g services provided ....
but maybe the 3g would be introduced with the vodaphone coming into the mobile service provider scene.....
hmmm then i think tht the k800i makes more sense as speedzak bro hav said

here is a detailed review on the k800i...
Sony Ericsson K800 review: Digicam in disguise - GSMArena.com

Last edited by hari_rama : 13th February 2007 at 02:43. Reason: review link added...
Old 13th February 2007, 03:39   #9
BANNED

Yes, 3G is going to be here soon according to many in the telecom circles. Will not be cheap though for some time to come.

First you'll have to decide if it's going to be one device or two.
Old 13th February 2007, 16:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

if i were you, i would buy another ipod with B&W & get along with the V3i or change that too if budget permits. This would give you a lot of options. higher storage capacity phones are slower & more irritating. please try to avoid them, especially the latest nokia phones.
cheers
Old 13th February 2007, 17:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you to go for a Nokia 6233 with 2 GB Card and a good Headphone (Nokia has good music pro headphones which gives you excellent sound!).

That should be good enuf!
Old 13th February 2007, 17:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I would suggest you to go for a Nokia 6233 with 2 GB Card and a good Headphone (Nokia has good music pro headphones which gives you excellent sound!).

That should be good enuf!
thats 10k + price of 2gb card!
Old 13th February 2007, 17:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
thats 10k + price of 2gb card!
Yes, but in 10k, you get a 3G Mobile phone, MP3 Player, 2 Megapixel Camera, FM Radio etc....!
Old 13th February 2007, 18:49   #14

Although I'm a big fan of SE, I must admit that I've found the sound quality of their so called "Walkman" phones to be a little disappointing. The K810i take SUPERB pictures and is packaged as such (a "Cybershot" phone, best I've seen on any phone in most conditions). I use a W900i (another "Walkman" series) and find it inadequate so I assume the 800 series can't be the same or better. The ironic thing is, the BEST sound quality on any multifunction devices I've used was a Sony Clie - that set such a high expectation for me which Sony have never managed to live up to in their phones.

In reaching your decision, you may want to consider the power, if you intend to listen to music a lot, then you should go for seperate devices (unless you don't care if you phone dies).

Another consideration is the comfort level - my W900i came with a wired remote - long remote part, short in-ear ear plug section. I find that really annoying because when you're in a tshirt, you don't really have anywhere to clip the remote - if you let it hang it's annoying as it more weight on your ears. Also, you're somewhat limited by the availability of alternative headphones (unless you don't mind a really long wire trailing at your side).

Versatility - you can connect your MP3 player to speakers etc.. With the phone, you can too, but what happens when the phone rings? and you're always limited by the remote (which has a proprietary connection at the phone end).

No opinions on the Razr as MOT totally blew their chance with the Worldport which I found had really unuseable user interface - never used a MOT phone since (with Ericsson/SE: 388, T39, Z600i, W900i, with only 2 Nokias somewhere in the middle).

One man's meat is another's poison, think about your life style, then decide.

My 2 paise...
Old 13th February 2007, 18:54   #15
BHPian

Zaphod,
My wife's mobile(Leagcy Sony ericssonT260) got lost on friday.
I had the same requirements as yours. Did some research and decided on either N72 or W810i.
finally Went for W810i (with 1 gb card )since it looks more VFM. Sound is better than Nokia, 2MP Camera is decent( with a torch light also which is good enough). We are pretty satisfied with its performance.
Got ot for Rs12000 (with 1 GB card) in Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks