Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2007, 15:54   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

30GB Video IPOD- Issues

Guys,

I recently got a 30 GB video IPOD from the US. I am having a few issues with it, it may sound foolish but, i am new to IPOD usage. need your valuable suggestions.

a) Even after charging the ipod via. USB on my laptop for over 6 hours. The ipod is completely discharged after watching video podcasts for about 2 hours or so. Even music, i cannot listen to it for more than 5-6 hours, what could be the problem? is it false advertisment or something wrong with my ipod?

b) Any other way of charging the IPOD? Currently, the only way i know is through my laptop USB. This is a hassle, any other alternate options?

c) The earplug device that it comes with just does not fit into my small ears, is some other ear phones like the one we use for mobiles available in market so i can buy? Any help on hyderabad based would be really appreciated

Guys, help

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th February 2007 at 15:56. Reason: typo
Old 14th February 2007, 16:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

Simple google search will let you know of many options on how to charge your IPOD.
There are separate chargers available too.
Ditto for earphones.
You can visit your nearest apple store to sort out these problems.
But since IPOD does not carry an international warranty, you will need to pay if your battery is kaput. AFAIK, if ipod battey goes bad you will have to buy new ipod.
Apple officially does not change batteries, though there are many ways to do it yourself, you can search the net on a howto.
Old 14th February 2007, 16:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Did you make sure you charged it up completely? You may have to charge it more than 6 hours if you were using it during those 6 hours that you were charging it. I think theres an indicator on the Ipod which tells you how much the battery is charged. You can go in for a normal charger which plugs into your socket at home. There are many companies out there that make these chargers and itll be a lot cheaper to go in for these instead of the original Apple ones.

As for the headphones, you can go in for the sony sport ones which fit over the ear. they were for 700 the last time i checked. my brother got his ipod headphones changed to these ones
Old 14th February 2007, 16:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@TSK and Khanak, thanks for your prompt response.

Khanak, is it safe to buy charger that is "not apple" and thanks for the lead for the earphones, are they available in sony outlets?
Old 14th February 2007, 16:42   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
a) Even after charging the ipod via. USB on my laptop for over 6 hours.

b) Any other way of charging the IPOD? Currently, the only way i know is through my laptop USB. This is a hassle, any other alternate options?

c) The earplug device that it comes with just does not fit into my small ears, is some other ear phones like the one we use for mobiles available in market so i can buy? Any help on hyderabad based would be really appreciated

Guys, help
The best way of charging an ipod is via a Ipod charger that plugs into the wall. visit headphone.com (they are dead serious about headphones).
Old 14th February 2007, 16:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The best way of charging an ipod is via a Ipod charger that plugs into the wall. visit headphone.com (they are dead serious about headphones).
Thanks Navin, since you also helped me in selecting my ICE, i am going to bug you with another question, How do i fit my IPOD into my current ICE setup?

JBL GTO937
Blaupaunkt comps
Pio Sub Woofer
Sony 554 4 channel amp
Old 14th February 2007, 16:51   #7
BHPian

a) Even after charging the ipod via. USB on my laptop for over 6 hours. The ipod is completely discharged after watching video podcasts for about 2 hours or so. Even music, i cannot listen to it for more than 5-6 hours, what could be the problem? is it false advertisment or something wrong with my ipod?

ANS: Go to the service centre and get the battery replaced

ANS: Buy a charger from market

ANS: Sony ericsson mobile phone has good headsets. buy from Banjara Hills, Road 12, opposite to Pizza Hut. Sjop: Technovison
Old 14th February 2007, 17:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

6850 supports Pioneer Ipod adapter. Buy it or buy a simple cable that connects from your ipod to the fron AV input in 6850. The former is expensive. The AV input in 6850 is located in the front below the screen. You may have to keep the HU panel open when you use fron AV input.

Regarding USB charging, i think charging by USB is slow compared to wall plug. My phone charges quicker by 60-70 when connected using wall plug compared to USB or car charger.
Old 14th February 2007, 17:39   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a good chance your laptop is not supplying enough current to charge your iPod. Buy an iPod charger, there are many companies that make this product, including YES.
That should sort you out.

But even on a fully charged iPod, do not expect more than 4 hours life if you are watching video. And do not expect your eyes to last very long either.
Old 14th February 2007, 17:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
But even on a fully charged iPod, do not expect more than 4 hours life if you are watching video. And do not expect your eyes to last very long either.
I really like your sense of humour. Thanks i will go look for an ipod charger and sony earplugs. By the way, i did realize that watching that screen for anything more than an hour is too darn strainful for the eyes despite turning the brightness to the lowest levels.
Old 14th February 2007, 18:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
6850 supports Pioneer Ipod adapter. Buy it or buy a simple cable that connects from your ipod to the fron AV input in 6850. The former is expensive. The AV input in 6850 is located in the front below the screen. You may have to keep the HU panel open when you use fron AV input.
I would highly recommend the ipod interface of the pioneer wala...

Pioneer Electronics - Sound. Vision. Soul

the interface is quite nice....and it is exactly same as the ipod actually interface....it also charges the ipod.....

the cost is about 5.5k......
Old 14th February 2007, 20:46   #12
BHPian

mobike--i think there's something wrong with ur ipod,i recently bought a nano 2gb from u.k with a apple charger..and i have to charge my ipod for only 1 and a half hour and then it goes on for three days.And one more thing,even my friend uses a video ipod but his ipod goes on continously with the videos for 8 hours,so there is definitely a problem with ur ipod and i guess you should go in for the original apple charger instead of any other.And talking about installing the ipod in your car,i asked a local car shop about this and he says that you can do it for just 150 bucks..but that thing could damage your ipod..so its better you stick to your cd's or cassettes whatever.....
Old 15th February 2007, 11:02   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
a) ANS: Go to the service centre and get the battery replaced
Buddy, its a 15 day old IPOD

ANS: Buy a charger from market

ANS: Sony ericsson mobile phone has good headsets. buy from Banjara Hills, Road 12, opposite to Pizza Hut. Sjop: Technovison[/quote]

Thanks, I will check them out.
Old 15th February 2007, 12:04   #14
Team-BHP Support

I don't think you can get IPOD batteries changed if its out of warranty at an authorized apple service center. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 15th February 2007, 12:47   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

A 15 day old iPod, whether bought from the grey market or apple india, whther registered online or not, carries an international warranty, also valid in India. That warranty extends to the battery as well.

Most Viewed