Old 16th March 2007, 08:57   #16
fb1
BHPian

Suggest you pick up altec lansing speakers for that price
Old 16th March 2007, 09:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
How about suggesting alternatives (with almost the same qualities as BOSE Wave). rather than plainly disqualifying it.
JVC recently released a mini-system for 28k which was rated best entry level by What-Hifi and Audiophile. Cant remember the model. It is brushed gold finished, and teakwood finished speakers with Kevlar cones.

Like Zak said, you could put in 5k more, and get a Sony DZ-550 which is the best 5.1 under 30k.

Or, if one is OK with "non-portability" then think of a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 (9k), Pulse 50+50 amplifier (7k) and a good CD player. I would probably go for Toshiba SE350 (8k), which supposedly has the best video quality (I know we are talking about sound, but I am thinking multi purpose)

Edit: Another option is to get the SWANS powered speakers. They are really multi purpose, can be hooked on to any source directly (comp/dvd player), the drivers are not puny and sounds excellent. Costs 10k.

NAD 521 is the best entry level CD player I have heard, but it costs 17k. Cambridge's Azure series is 24k. May be Navin can suggest a good VFM audio player under 10k?

Last edited by determinus : 16th March 2007 at 09:36.
Old 16th March 2007, 11:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
guys,
How about suggesting alternatives (with almost the same qualities as BOSE Wave). rather than plainly disqualifying it.
Guys, pay heed to Vivek ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
For 25k, I would rather buy a full 5.1 sound system.
Or I would choose a custom designed music system by a great sound engineer.
I can also get an 80gb ipod with a JBL onstage.

These are just starters.
Buddy, I want a smallish system for my bed-room. It will be for music only; so 5.1 doesn't make sense.

iPod with JBL onstage is a good option, but it doesn't have a radio.

Any other ideas guys???

\N

Last edited by ntomer : 16th March 2007 at 11:11.
Old 16th March 2007, 11:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
For 25k, I would rather buy a full 5.1 sound system.
Bose Wave system is selling for 31K here in Delhi (27K + octroi@12.5%)

\N
Old 16th March 2007, 12:01   #20
BHPian

There is a cambridge soundworks system (745i for eg) which is similar to the wave radio...and cheaper...it has received better reviews than the bose.. you can check that out too...
This is a creative company...I am not sure if they are available in India though..

I have a few friends who have bought Bose wave radio and they are happy with it.
Like others said, listen to it...and then decide....

Dont go for Sony though, they are even worse....
Old 16th March 2007, 12:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have listened to Bose wave radio , and Its quite good. I feel its more about a blend of classy design / Compactness /good sound, so its bound to be expensive. Like Zak had said apart from the radio bit 30GB Ipod (13K) + JBL sound stage sounds good enough .

"acoustic waveguide speaker technology", which they describe as a tube that efficiently transfers energy from a small speaker to the outside air over a wide range of low frequencies, is responsible for this. It sounds like a whole heap pf technical jargon, but believe us, it works a treat.
- a review about it from goodgear

You may have a look at these too.

Cambridge CD 740
Polk Audio I sonic

Onkyo CS-V720S
Old 16th March 2007, 12:56   #22
BHPian

Thanx maxbhp,

All these are priced in the same range as Bose Wave; how do they compare to Wave in sound quality? I tried to search for comparos but couldn't find any.

can I buy any of these in India? with bill & warranty?

\N

Last edited by ntomer : 16th March 2007 at 13:00.
Old 16th March 2007, 12:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

I am using one for 3 years now in my bedroom. and am extremely happy.
its very expensive, but my experience with Bose speaker systems have been also VERY Good, they are working in my living room for now 13 years, and not once a problem!!, I expect my wave system to last me 10 years atleast!, then it becomes worth it compared to other mini component systems which have a life of 5/6 years.
and on another note, this is a Car Forum, so you dont evaluate everything with its price tag? why should anyone buy the overpriced luxury/super cars then!!
Old 16th March 2007, 13:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

May not be a harcore Comparison but neverthless will give you a bit of information you need
Compare Cambridge SoundWorks Radio CD 740 to Audio Shelf Systems. Comparisons by CNET.
Old 16th March 2007, 13:28   #25
JPL
BHPian

Well,

I am not a Audiophile to comment on bose ( definitely aspire to be) but 25-27k on a clock radio with no buttons on the unit.

I dont know man but if you gave me 25k, I would buy another PC for lan gaming and still have a clock radio.
Old 16th March 2007, 13:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

If the price is not a issue, its a very good system. I am sure you will enjoy the sound. Moreover, for the compact size you will not get anything that sounds like it.
Old 16th March 2007, 15:23   #27
BHPian

U can settle for a gud home theatre for the amount which u plan to invest for the BOSE. Also the BOSE Speakers somehow dosen't seem to have the right THUMP !! don't know with others but i have always felt it. My uncle has a lifestyle 28.....
Old 16th March 2007, 16:29   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Or, if one is OK with "non-portability"
there are 3 choices you have

a) Ipod player like Harman Intl. Go+Play. I am thnking of getting one myself and giving my IM7 to my son. Monitor Audio's i-dock also has a very nice machine but it is less portable. These players need an ipod, and dont have a CD player or tuner (FM) and no Alarm clock

b) A mini system like Onkyo's Liverpool (515 or 315) or Yamaha's E700 (Denon's version costs over 30K) these systems will give you FM and CD but you need to add an ipod dock if you want to play your ipod. Last I remember Onkyo's 315 made some decent sound for the 15-16K they were asking for it.

c) A full blown system. The cheapest decent combo would be a Marantz CD player (5001) and Amp (4001) mated to a decent pair of speakers (Monitor Audio, KEF, Mission, Quad, etc.come to mind but they all cost 25-30K) so a system like this would cost you 60K you could save and spend only 10K on the speakers by using Mordant Short's 902 or Wharfdale Diamonds but these are not in the same class as say Monitor Audio's BR2 or KEF's IQ3 or Mission's M33.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks